Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #16
Motzilla
Lunch-Boxer

Oddometer: 123
I believe it is a very personal choice. I had battlewings without complaints, now tourance, no complaints either. I drive very conservative in the rain anyways. I wear evenly both front and rear tires, use very little braking, 22,000 km and brake pads have still more than half of their useful life according to my BMW mechanic. I should add that I do keep up with sportbikes in twisties and canyons, I have worn the outside of my boots on my 12 GSA, and never had a tourance slide from under me, but I will definitely try Anakee next and see.
Motzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:26 PM   #17
Motzilla
Lunch-Boxer

Oddometer: 123
I believe it is a very personal choice. I had battlewings without complaints, now tourance, no complaints either. I drive very conservative in the rain anyways. I wear evenly both front and rear tires, use very little braking, 22,000 km and brake pads have still more than half of their useful life according to my BMW mechanic. I should add that I do keep up with sportbikes in twisties and canyons, I have worn the outside of my boots on my 12 GSA, and never had a tourance slide from under me, but I will definitely try Anakee next and see.
Motzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #18
SkiFly01
Govna Racepipe

Oddometer: 574
well through my experience the Tourance can handle abuse of speed just fine. However, recently when I started searching for a set of Anakee's I could find rear but not a front. It seems they are on a shortage or being phased out so you may not really have a choice here before too long.
SkiFly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:35 AM   #19
scopedr
What have I done???

Oddometer: 66
Tourance or Anakee 2? decisions, decisions

I was also in the boat deciding whether to get a pair of Tourances or Anakee 2's. So I ordered a set of Anakee's and will get them mounted on the rims. They surely have to be better than the Battlewings that originally came with the bike. I was able to find a front and rear tire, with the shortage of front tires right now, I feel lucky to have found one.

The Tourances were a close second in my choice of tire.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:43 AM   #20
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,221
Anakee vid

Anakees have proven to be a great road tire for me so far, turn in is predictable and smooth with loads of grip. I don't have enough miles on them to offer comment on wear. I have had them off road and the initial impression is as previously posted with little update based on a little trip some of us took a couple of days ago. Not great front tire traction in the slippery stuff, like mud or sand. The front wants to wash out but the rear seems to have enough grip to push you through light mud. Here is a link to a video of part of the ride, a bit long but right before the crash you see where I bounce my GSA up some rough rocks, bottomed the front suspension but the tires kept grip and no damaged on the thread from the ride.
http://youtu.be/N_f7lEkcoqA

Shorter vid http://youtu.be/HfOZHLVyGn8
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #21
rockycraig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
What are you taliking about

I clicked the link and it doesn't look like you are riding a bmw gsa, just curious if I got the wrong link??
rockycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #22
BostonGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
Avon Distanzia
...because "Avon Distanzia" says something about a Michelin Anakee 2 vs Metzeler Tourance.

I've run a couple of sets of each and really can't tell the difference...buy the cheaper of the two or flip a coin.
BostonGS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:20 AM   #23
whittrated03
Steady Rollin' Man

Oddometer: 221
My tire testing results in giving the nod to the Anakee 2. From what I was told by my local dealer Metzler no longer offers the original Tourance. Its now the EXP which is a much lower mile tire. Also, the Anakee 2 sticks ti wet tarmac almost like its dry...unbelievable wet grip!! Aired down to 20psi, Anakees hook off road.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:16 AM   #24
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,011
Whit. Ghost just bought a regular no EXP Tourance. They are still available.
slowoldguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:47 AM   #25
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Virtually indistinguishable to me. Both are ice-skates on anything loose and powdery. Both are great street tires. I get a few hundred more miles out of Tourances.
My experience mirrors SOG's exactly after several pairs of both these tires on multiple bikes. The Anakee 2s I used got better mileage than the original Anakee, but developed an interesting howl while cornering on asphalt that the original didn't have.
jdub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #26
TheRoss
IBA, BMWMOA

Oddometer: 307
I bought a 2011 GSA a few weeks ago that came with Anakee 2 tires. I have put around 3000 miles on the bike, including some highway riding at top speed. The tires seem to be wearing quite fast compared to the Road Smarts I run on the R1100RT. I think I will try the Tourances next... I ran them on a 650 Dakar I had a couple years ago and was generally happy with the mileage I got.

Here's my question.... the GSA rims are black. Are they powder coasted, just painted, or something else? Are they more or less easily scratched than the silver cast wheels on so many Beemers? I do my own tire changes, but am not the most graceful at it. Do I need to be extra careful of the black finish?

Thanks!

2012 R1200GSA, 1985 K100RS, 1975 R90/6

TheRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:21 AM   #27
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoss View Post
Here's my question.... the GSA rims are black. Are they powder coasted, just painted, or something else? Are they more or less easily scratched than the silver cast wheels on so many Beemers? I do my own tire changes, but am not the most graceful at it. Do I need to be extra careful of the black finish?

Thanks!
I change all of my tires also, using tire irons and an old cheap Frisbee that I've cut into pie-shaped pieces (thicker than plastic milk jugs, etc.). I use the plastic pieces between the irons and the rim only to protect the GSA rims' black finish, but there are scratches on the rims down to base metal where a tire iron or the plastic slipped. Not sure of the type finish, but be careful as it will scratch.

Sometimes I'll touch up the scratches with a black marker and that lasts a long time. Makes the bike sooo much better looking, as long as you don't look at all of the bike's other dings and scratches from drops in the dirt.
jdub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:15 AM   #28
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,011
My wheels are so covered in caliche dust, I have no idea what they would look like clean. Might not want to know.
slowoldguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:34 AM   #29
7seas10
7seas

Oddometer: 423
I have regular Tourance on my bike right now.

I used Anakee, Anakee ll and Tourance Exp.

My favorite are the regular Tourance.
7seas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:53 AM   #30
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,535
Quote:
Everyone has their own little tricks. Similar to the frisbee trick I used to cut up an old oil jug and use that plastic for rim protectors. However, the last couple tire changes, I've cut off the fingers of an old heavy leather work glove and duct taped them over the ends of the tire irons. This way, it's just about impossible to cause scratches. I'm sure someone else out there has an even better idea.

Oh yea, and I use Armor All out of a spray bottle as tire lube. I'm sure we can all start a good fight about that....

I'm running the Anakee 2 right now, and they have been really great on the street, in the wet, and long wearing. 7000 miles on them now and I'd say they are going to go at least 10, maybe more. I'm looking for something with a little more juju in the dirt tho, but I hate paying 300 bucks every 3000 miles for TKCs.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote