Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2011, 06:13 AM   #1
Hugerush OP
Furbrain

Oddometer: 69
990 immobilizer fault - bike will not crank - help!

2010 990 - deader than a fried chicken.

Immobilizer blink codes are;

31 - Malfunction, encryption query from EFI control unit to immobolizer control unit
32 - Malfunction in CAN bus communication

Engine control blink code;

81 - Immobilzer control unit - malfunction in circuit

Could this be a wire?
Where is the immobilzer?

This has cancelled my trip to the KTD adv rally.
Think they will refund my registration fee?
Hugerush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:11 AM   #2
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 6,019
Two plugs under the seat. Disconnect the alarm and go.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:19 AM   #3
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,707
Could it be interference of the xenon lights' ballasts?

If you have Xenon lights, make sure the ballasts are not too close to the ignition key and the ECU.
Cheers.
Clutch master cylinder resleeving
Out of office 25 till 4th August
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:31 AM   #4
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,527
I'm familiar with BMW's problem with the immobilizer. I ASSume the KTM is similar.

Your key has a RFID chip in it. There is an antenna ring around the keylock that has to interrogate that chip. If the chip does not match what the Electronic Control Unit says it should be, the bike won't start. No matter that you can physically turn the key on....

To answer your question, yes there would be a pair of wires going to the antenna ring. Check its connectors.. all the way from the keylock area to the ECU. I noticed some failures starting to occur in KTM's now too, but I don't know what the fix is yet. Try your spare key if you have one.

BTW... BMW's problem turned out to be the ring itself. It was re designed at least 3 times. There was no way around this system. Some people said it was an insurance company requirement in Europe to help prevent theft. I don't know. My bike had 3 antenna rings and 1 ECU change trying to make it right. Even the U.S. dealers didn't know too much about it... Owners started carrying spare rings with them at a cost of almost $300... In the end I had a dealer give me a spare for free. It was such a debacle...

Now don't even get me started on CanBus .......

spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:53 AM   #5
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik View Post
Two plugs under the seat. Disconnect the alarm and go.
Is this right? My only major concern traveling solo on the 990 is the few reports of immobilizer failure with no workaround...

Steve
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #6
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Unless the issues is the one stated by spafxer then removing the factory alarm should do the trick. if its the electronics in the chip/receiver for the key then I have no idea.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:03 PM   #7
Hugerush OP
Furbrain

Fricken thing

No alarm (factory or otherwise).

I found the "immbolizer" - it is attached to the right of the snorkle on the airbox. It and its wiring looks okay.

The antenna ring seems to be functioning as it recognizes the orange key (and I accidentally erased a black one).

Next step is to tear down to find the ECU and trace the wire run.

DOES ANYONE HAVE THE WIRING DIAGRAM FOR 09+ 990s?

I tried to order one from Munn and was told "Backordered". The 07 diagram I have does not have this device installed.

I agree with the other guy who posted a similar issue that he can never trust the bike again.

I'll have my tounge out and my toes crossed every time I go to start the fricken thing.

The only thing positive is it happened in front of my house.

What if this happened in the middle of the Great Divide Basin? Is KTM going to pick up the $1000 towing bill?
Old 09-15-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,549
why don't you take it to a KTM dealer to get this one sorted?

Qwik, IMO this is different from the pre '09 alarm system, so you can't just disconnect it. I think the ECU needs to recive a correct (encrypted maybe) keycode from the immobiliser in order to work. There were quite a couple post '09 bikes having a faulty ignition switch / immobilzer harness.
Either of these is likely to be the cause of the problem:

62611066000 IGNITION LOCK
62611021000 IMMOBILIZER 990 SM 08

But once again, taking it to a dealer might be the most cost effective way to get around this, as they will only change the neccesary parts instead of experimenting. I don't think it's serviceable @home.

You may also wan't to give this thread a look (he had the 8+1 code):

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=648800

Also the point of this system is to protect your bike from getting it started without the correct keys (when it's functioning correctly at least). The main idea of this system is that you can not bypass it (once again it's a thief protection), so don't expect a home made, quick bypass solution for it.

The only bypass I could think about would be an immobilizer unit which plugs into the place of the stock unit, and always sends the _correct_ keycode (every bike has a different one, so you would have to program this device first with the one that maches your bike) to the ECU - no matter if the correct key is in the ign. switch. - this would be hard to achieve IMO, as you would first have to know how this part of the ECU and ECU-IMMOB communication works, so you could write a program that sends the correct information for the ECU.
OR
repograming the ECU somehow, telling it not wait for a correct keycode from the immobilizer unit - but I'm quite sure that the ECU's main software is embeded and it's not an open software (no sourcecode avaliable), so it would be hard to modify it this way.

My point here is that it's a software thingy, so you can't get it overriden with hardware modifications. My advice once again is to take it to the dealer:)

Sumi screwed with this post 09-15-2011 at 11:07 PM
Sumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:17 PM   #9
MrVegas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Did the battery go dead with the key in the ignition? sometimes it will kill the key if that happens, try a different key
MrVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:24 PM   #10
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,527
Some technicians built a wiring splitter to put another antenna ring under the seat with a spare key in it all the time. That way when you put your normal key in the lock it works like a standard key switch.

I would call Scuderia in San Francisco to see what's up with the system and any known faults. They are usually up to date on that info...

There is a chance they are up here at the KTM rally right now though.

spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #11
gettr
Team Turtle

Oddometer: 686
Got a sidestand relocater? Make sure you didn't pinch the sidestand wires..
gettr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:04 PM   #12
Hugerush OP
Furbrain

Got it

Once I had the print, I rang it out and the high side of the Can bus was shorting to ground. Of course when I removed the left tank it went away. Some digging and I found it (see pic below), near the rat's nest of wires existing by the rear cylinder. I guess a dab of silicone and electrical tape will do, as well as some new conduit, which I tore to hell to find the break. I will clean it up good as only my anal self can.

I am not going to go in to how UNHELPFUL my local KTM Street dealer was. Along with refusing to give me the print, (they said they would sell it to me but alas, they didn't have one!) the best they could come up with was "sounds like the battery." If western civilization does eventually collapse, I can certainly see the cracks in the foundation every day (wait, a little too political, I thought you WEREN'T going to go into itl)! Denver folks will know them.

Anyway, it's fixed (or on its way). Thanks to all those who posted ideas, I appreciate it.

Now if anyone at the KTM Rally in Tahoe can run this by Joanna and see if she'll give me my money back?!

Old 09-17-2011, 10:14 PM   #13
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Very cool. Glad you got it fixed
Old 09-18-2011, 12:30 AM   #14
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,707
Very observant, well done.

Cheers.
Clutch master cylinder resleeving
Out of office 25 till 4th August
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:25 AM   #15
Subutai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Nowadays you got TuneECU and I read about a guy who succesfully hacked a GSX-R1000's ECU unit to make adjustments. I don't know a thing about programming, but according to the story it's very straigthforward. He did it to get around all the Powercommander mambo jambo.

So if there's a system to interfere with the ECU programming and the know how to open the software up, could someone please make it so that we don't have to deal with this immobilizer crap. I'm seeing a hard time having the thing replaced under warranty around here after it has expired.

And the ignition lock, it's right there, open for elements and crap. With the eyes of my soul I can already see the antenna ring melting inside it
Subutai is offline   Reply With Quote