User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2011, 10:45 AM   #16
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,571
Awesome!

My step mom and dad are in Kelowna. We got to visit a year ago. I really wanted to ride there, but had a free car and gas, so that's what we used.
Plan is to get back there someday and do some riding and exploring.

That airhead GS looks in stunning condition.
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #17
thevulture
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
I was in Nakusp in August for the BC Beemers Rally, it's one of the best places I've ever been. Looking forward to more of your adventure.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:33 AM   #18
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,555
I'll get back to this eventually. Been on the road with work since late September and now in BC with the family trying to figure out where we'd like to live and raise our son.

Stay tuned.
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:20 AM   #19
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,404
Bookmarked, awaiting the sordid tale with rapt interest...
Old 10-30-2011, 07:26 AM   #20
Brunssd
Potemkin villager

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
I'll get back to this eventually. Been on the road with work since late September and now in BC with the family trying to figure out where we'd like to live and raise our son.

Stay tuned.

You weren't kidding were you?

May I suggest somewhere in the West Kootenay Triangle (Nelson, Nakusp, Kaslo)? If moisture is an issue there's always the Okanagan.

Best of luck and hoping for a successful search.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:41 AM   #21
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunssd View Post
You weren't kidding were you?

May I suggest somewhere in the West Kootenay Triangle (Nelson, Nakusp, Kaslo)? If moisture is an issue there's always the Okanagan.

Best of luck and hoping for a successful search.
We're in Nelson scanning the shores of the Kootenay River and Lake for a suitable domicile. The choice is good with lots to choose from in a buyer's market.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:17 AM   #22
SteverinoB
EstebanarinoB

Oddometer: 545
Thumb You get around eh!

Happened across your RR Lornce and see that not only do you have a very nice new bike but it appears that you have relocated clear across the country!

Can't say as I envy you much re local riding opportunities amongst other things????

Looking forward to further installments.

Cheers...Steve Br

R90...CT90...Wee...DR650
SteverinoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:39 AM   #23
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
We're in Nelson scanning the shores of the Kootenay River and Lake for a suitable domicile. The choice is good with lots to choose from in a buyer's market.

Nice area to live - spent some time there this summer as the in-laws live outside of Trail. Always worth spending an afternoon soaking in Answorth
Old 10-30-2011, 09:55 PM   #24
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxermoose View Post
Always worth spending an afternoon soaking in Answorth
We just got back from a couple of hours of hotspring soaking on this cold, rainy night. Perfect!

And the little guy loved it.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #25
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

Okay, we're back in Hamilton, so let's get back to it... Don, ADV's Annony, dropped by for a visit while I sorted the bike and we all made plans for dinner with their riding buddies who meet regularly at a nearby pub. In the mean time, Pete returned from work and took me to his buddy's shop to source some decent hand grips and I eventually got the bike back together and looking well. Except for that precariously mounted Pelican box...

Next morning I'm off at dawn to catch the 0600 ferry across Upper Arrow Lake out of Shelter Bay. First in line and feeling fine. A few other folks arrive, young couple from Calgary on a CBR1000RR and a guy on a built HD, Road King, if memory serves. Chatted with the Honda couple and the guy on the HD and learned just how extensive his engine mods were. The guy really knew his stuff and covered some serious miles on that bike. An interesting chat.

The ferry arrived, off-loaded the north-bound cars and trucks in a smooth and efficient style and then we were waived aboard. Being first in line I turned the key and hit the starter button. And nothing happened. Pushing the bike out of the way to let the others pass, Honda guy on his way past says "Use your kick start". Sure, but that's not going to solve my apparent low voltage issue. HD guys rolls by and kind of smirks at me as he heads for the ferry, and I've got to admit I felt a little sheepish.

Pulling a saddle bag apart I found my multi-meter and confirmed my worst fear when I saw 8.2 volts at the battery. What's going on here? Do I want to get into stripping the bike apart to troubleshoot the charging system here in the rain or do I ride 1/2 an hour back to Pete's place and do it in the comfort of his garage? Tough choice: I turned the headlight off, kick-started the bike and headed back to Pete's place...

Having replaced more failed airhead alternator rotors over the years than I'd care to remember, the first thing I did was remove the stator and check the rotor windings for continuity. They were fine. Weird. Regulators almost never fail on these things. Pulling the tank off I found the fiendishly cleaned and dialectically greased regulator plug... hanging uselessly beneath the voltage regulator. I'd forgotten to reattach it the previous day while cleaning contacts.

Knowing how my mind works, I bet you a donut that's what I was doing the previous day when Don arrived...
Old 11-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #26
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

After being cross-examined by a few of Pete's neighbours (they're a good and watchful crowd) I made my way back down to Shelter Bay to catch the ferry across Upper Arrow Lake. It was a little busier this time...

Lost in a sea of Milwaukee iron...

This guy's got the right approach to travel...

From Galena Bay on the east side of Upper Arrow Lake you can head directly south on 23 towards Nakusp or turn north east on 31 for a lesser travelled route towards Trout Lake, the Lardeau River and on to Kootenay Lake and the town of Kalso. I turned north east on 31.

Ten kilometers along 31 the road turns to single lane gravel and a very fine twisting ride through a rain forest on the eastern watershed slope of Trout Lake. Having so much fun on the narrow, twisting loose surface I didn't even stop to take a picture. Until I crossed a bridge over the Lardeau River which, due to record snow-pack in the mountains, was still in spring flood stage... in mid-July.

Riding through the forest was cool and soothing. Part of me wishes riding could always be like this. Feeling the changes in temperature from one corner to the next with proximity to the lake and river. The fresh smell of the trees, mosses and soil. It was good to be back on a motorcycle in British Columbia.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:13 AM   #27
Brunssd
Potemkin villager

Oddometer: 361
Is that last photo from the bridge to Argenta? I took some video of the Lardeau around the time you went through and for the end of July, that river was really nukin'.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:50 AM   #28
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunssd View Post
Is that last photo from the bridge to Argenta? I took some video of the Lardeau around the time you went through and for the end of July, that river was really nukin'.
I don't recall exactly but think it was nearer the Gerard end of the road. Though south of Gerard.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #29
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

Continuing south along the Lardeau river brings you to the Kootenay Lake and the historic town of Kaslo. Kaslo's steeped in 19th century mining history and 21st century sustainability. Very pleasant town with some very fine eating establishments. More on that later, I want to make sure I get my favourite campsite.

If you're traveling on your bike through the Kootenays, you owe it to yourself to stop at Toad Rock Motorcycle Campground. The place has become my home away from home whenever I'm in the area. There's no other place quite like it. Mary Laird, Toad Rock's owner/operator is a terrific host. I love this place.

Mary shows me my luxurious accomodations at Toad Rock's VW Bus Campsite.

It's good to be back.

First night on the road and I'm doing it up right.

Nom nom nom...

UrrrRRrpp! (that food lasted me through two days of meals)

Old 12-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #30
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

The morning after a nice night of sleeping in the Toad Rock VW found me heading down the west shore of Kootenay Lake and the north shore of the Kootenay River into the town of Nelson. I was looking for a place to have some good coffee and meet a local riding buddy. The sky was a brilliant blue and the sun shone in bright contrast to yesterday's on and off again rain. It was going to be a beautiful day. But I needed to figure out what was up with the bike. The previous day it burned 29 liters of fuel to cover 390kms, or about 37mpg Imperial. I figured this thing ought to be good for at least 50 or 55mpg?

I found what looked like a nice little coffee shop and it turned out to be the Saturday morning meeting spot of some of Nelson's vintage bike enthusiasts. The Dominion Cafe on Baker Street serves up some good looking breakfast sandwiches and fresh muffins, too. I had a big mug of coffee and some sort of delicious, fresh muffin that was half the size of my head.

Killing time until my buddy arrived I chatted with the vintage bike dudes. Guy on the Guzzi LeMans (on the right in glasses) was a Scottsman who worked as a local park ranger. Said his name was "Q". Another fellow who rode airheads, I forget his name (left side of the window in the ball cap), assured me 30-odd miles per gallon was normal for an R80G/S because of the short gearing. I tried to convince him there might be more involved and told him it smelled a little rich, but he'd have none of it. 37mpg was perfectly normal for an R80G/S. What do I know?

Fred finally arrived and we shot the breeze over another coffee before heading back to his place on the North Arm where I was treated to a well equipped shop to tinker on my carbs.

I had the good fortune to meet Fred on a job in Edmonton a few years ago and we hit it off pretty much right away. Fred's a pipe fitter and master welder by day, but in his spare time he designs and fabricates motorcycle frames to suit his fancy. And he rides Buells. Fred's the first guy I've ever met on a construction site who reads Tony Foal chassis engineering books. Foal is something of a guru amoung the small world of motorcycle chassis dynamicists, and Fred was digging what he had to say. Fred's current pet project is sort of a cross between an FXR and an S1 Buell, and he's building it to suit a nicely sorted Evo motor that he built to spec. I think he's taken a bit of inspiration from a British hill climb racer that uses a similar motor, too. I'm looking forward to see the end results of his work.

But getting back to my carbs... All the jets were a clogged mess on both sides and needed a thourough cleaning to bring them back into proper working order. Then I broke one of Fred's screwdrivers trying to remove the screws that held the top halves in place. It finally took an impact driver (the old style you use with a hammer, not the pneumatic type) to remove the screws from the carb tops. I was glad to find the diaphrams looking good, but the needles were set in their absolute richest position. I think we might be getting somewhere... For reference sake I moved the needles to the leanest setting and took the bike for a ride. As expected, it ran poorly but gave me the baseline I was looking for. Next notch up on the needle and the bike was purring like a happy kat up Hwy 3a to Balfour. Sounded sharper and felt crisper, too. The plugs looked good when I got back to Fred's place. I think we have a winning combination.