Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #32
Holaday
Man of Leisure

Oddometer: 564
Livin in Nelson Eh !

Lucky Bugger. I Love it there.

Subscribed.

Soon as your born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time!!!

Checkout my Ride Reports:

Baja

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405461

Kootenays

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614464
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:31 AM   #33
camgregus
riding gently now

Oddometer: 2,996
Old 12-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #34
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,382
Next morning with the bike running a lot better I went fishing. I should confess that I don't really know too much about fishing, never having done much of it growing up. I brought along a reel that was on an inexpensive rod I'd bought while working in Northern Ontario a few years earlier. Actually had a bit of luck with that rod off the Government Dock in Dryden landing a nice sized pickeral and pike. Anyway, I brought the reel with me on the plane then bought an eight-day BC fishing license, a $20 rod and gave it a whirl. Fred gave me a flourescent rubber ball and instructed me to tie it to the line with a few feet of leader to a wormed hook. The ball would be easy to spot and give lots of momentum for long casts off the shore. Sounds good to me.

Halfway between Kaslo and new Denver on 31a there's a pair of lakes at the top of the pass.

On the third or fourth cast the ball went clear to the middle of the lake. Good cast, I thought. Too bad it didn't take the line with it. Remind me to ask Fred to teach me some good fishing knots.

The good thing about going fishing at dawn in July at this latitude is that it hardly makes a dent in your day when the first two hours are waisted throwing balls half way across a beautiful mountain lake. I still had the whole day ahead of me to go for a motorcycle ride.

So I made my way back down 31a to Kaslo enjoying a nice ride alongside a raging mountain stream. Riders come all the way from Calgary and Vancouver just to spend their weekends riding between Kaslo and New Denver along 31a. It's a popular motorcycling road and the scenery and crystal air are about perfect. Turning south at Kaslo I followed 31 to Balfour where I caught the Osprey 2000 across Kootenay Lake to Kootenay Bay.

From Kootenay Bay it's a short ride south to the gravel turn off into the mountains and Gray Creek Pass Forest Service Road. Gray Creek Pass had only opened up a few days earlier due to record snowfall still blocking the summit in mid-July. Gray Creek Forest Service Road is a great way to get to Kimberley on the other side of the Percell Mountains without spending three hours driving paved roads all the way down to Creston and back up the east side of the range on the highway.

Over the pass to Kimberley and a ride up 93 to Canal Flats and another forest service road will gain you access to the Lussier River hotsprings, which is a nice spot to spend an hour or two even in the summer. Returning back over the Gray Creek Pass I took time to stop and admire some streams and alpine flowers.

Hawkweed's fairly common all across Canada once you reach latitudes above Southern Ontario.

Only saw these lillies near the higher elevations over the pass.

Lots of streams and creeks still running full tilt.

And providing terrific spots to stop for a drink.

And a quiet night's sail back across Kootenay Lake on the Osprey 2000.

Filling up near Balfour I learned that the bike was running around 55mpg imperial.

A win win.
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:39 AM   #35
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,639
I am so GREEN with envy. Thanks for sharing the beauty of British Columbia

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #36
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Oddometer: 935

So far this is looking great! As you were writing about the side trips, I fired up Google maps and started finding the towns mentioned and built a map to put in my ADVrider maps bucket list. Wife and I spent part of our 5 week honeymoon in B.C over 22 years ago. Mostly along the Trans-Canada in the cage (thought we did have our bicycles with us and did day trips until we reached the San Juan Is. - that was a 3 night, 4day self supported tour).

Looking to get back up in this area sometime and ride more back roads!
Old 01-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #37
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

Following morning took me into Kaslo for breakfast at the Bluebelle Bistro where I enjoyed some very excellent huevos rancheros. This is a comfortable little restaurant with friendly staff, terrific food and Nelson's famous Oso Negro coffee. Can't recommend it highly enough.

*My wife, son and I returned in late fall and enjoyed the additional ambience of a glowing woodstove to go with a well prepaired breakfast of coffee, huevos rancheros and smoked salmon eggs bennedict. Nom, nom, nom.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #38
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,616
Wow! You are one lucky dude! Great report and congrats on the new to you ride! She's BEAUTIFUL!
woodly1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #39
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
. Riders come all the way from Calgary and Vancouver just to spend their weekends riding between Kaslo and New Denver along 31a. It's a popular motorcycling road and the scenery and crystal air are about perfect.

I'm one of those riders who do it from Calgary. I've been doing it for 13 years now since I started riding (when I lived in Saskatoon).

These days the sportbikes are gone but I do it mostly off-road. We pushed pretty far in the snow this year but eventually turned around due to time restraints. Came back a few weeks later to cross and were amazing how fast the snow did move.

Love the bike, the pictures, and the ride. Subscribed!

There are much better passes then Grey Creek, but it's a handy one for skipping some highway but the section down to Creston is still a good ride.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #40
Mach Z
Budding ADV Addict!

Oddometer: 62
Gripping ride report! Love it. You could do it all again, without the mechanical issues!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=752008

Or I could deliver!

Cheers,
Mach Z
Mach Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:47 AM   #41
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

After a fine scoff in Kaslo it was time to make tracks towards Penticton and Apex Mountain.

Saw this young family on the way to New Denver along the 31a.

Mom didn't hang around long and soon followed her cub into the woods.

Heading towards Fauquier to catch the ferry accross Lower Arrow Lake and about three kms short of the dock I knew I was in trouble when I saw all the cars parked on the road. There'd been a music festival in Nakusp over the weekend and the traffic headed back to the Okanagan was gonzo. Three and a half hours was the expected wait time for the ferry. So I gassed up and rather than wait in line tried to find a route over the mountains to the south east along a hydro line trail.

Trail started out pretty nicely and I was looking forward to getting somewhere and enjoy the views along the way. But somehow I got onto a parralel trail that deteriorated into an atv track that got pretty challenging near the top of the mountain. First gear crawling up steep, loose, rocky inclines is okay with me, but I took stock of the situation and realised if I rock-holed my sump up here I'd pretty much have to abandon the bike and hike back out. Not a show stopper if I lived in the area, but this bike still had to get my butt back to Ontario. (pics are from the nice part of the trail. had my hands too full along the gnarly part to take any pictures). Discretion became the better part of valour and I turned around and headed back down in the direction I'd come from. I'll be back to find that route over the mountain in future on my KLR.

I re-joined the line of traffic closer to the front (with a couple on a bike that I'd met earlier at the end of the line ie: where I'd have been in the line if I'd just hung around) and waited out another hour before boarding the ferry to Needles.

Nice ride west from Needles through the Monashee Mountains and some serious rain storms along the way. Times like that I really love my Aerostich Darien gear. Saw a sizeable bull moose in a meadow not far from the Kettle River Forest Service Road crossing. All in all a pleasantly uneventful ride to Vernon and then south through the pouring rain in the Okanagan to Penticton. Climbed the Green Mountain Road to the west of Penticton until it intersects the road to Apex Mountain ski resort (not sure what that road's called?) Visited with some friends who keep a-frame weekend get-aways near Apex Village for a relaxing and enjoyable few days high in the mountains. Good food, lots of cheer and laughs around the campfire. It was a nice way to spend a little time.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:30 AM   #42
SteverinoB
EstebanarinoB

Oddometer: 541
Thumb Yeah!

Well, I feel a whole lot better this am after having had a peek at this gem! Don't suppose you brewed yourself a cup while you surveyed this magnificent view and it's seeming possibilities?

R90...CT90...Wee...DR650
SteverinoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #43
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

Next day I went for a little ride west of Apex on the Nickle Plate Road. It's a fun ride with some great views as it winds it's way down into the Similkameen Rver Valley and Hwy 3 near the historic gold mining town of Hedley.

Gassed up in Hedley and followed Hwy 3 back east to the picturesque orchard/agricultural centre of Keremeos where I bought a sachel of groceries fit for a king. Heading back north on Hwy 3a towards Penticton, I turned west onto the south end of Green Mountain Road. Followed Green Mountain Road a spell to pick up Apex Mountain Road. Green Mountain Road is a very fine motorcycling road that follows a river valley through some satisfyingly twisted terrain. Highly recommended. The Apex Mountain Road is fun, too, with lots of switchbacks to hold your attention as you climb into cool temps to 7k ft.

We feasted like royalty around the roaring fire that night. A fun group of people with stories about everything from freestyle skiing and crazy women to big game guiding and horse trekking through Northern BC's pristene wilderness. It was a fine evening of memorable fellows. Slept like a baby that night and awoke the following morning to 4C on the mountain top. In July.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #44
Lornce OP
Lost In Place

Glad ya'all are enjoying the ride.

Steve, no time for coffee. Too busy staying upright and trying to figure out how to get over that mountain range. It got really gnarly. Lots of pan bashing and and steep, loose rock.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #45
vagueout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,465
Brilliant country! if i could get past the cold i would love to ride there. I must ask, is that bloke in the blue shirt standing next to your bike Ted Simon? if so how did this come to be?