User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
BeachGuy OP
Alabama & Costa Rica

Oddometer: 471
Costa Rica / Panamá Border Run.

On September 8th I got back to Costa Rica. I left last December for the states and Christmas with the family and just got back.

I imported my bike into Costa Rica in November of 2010 and had a 90 day permit. This meant that it expired in the first week of January. Today is September 8, 2011. Just 9 months overdue. What will I have to pay for this indiscretion?

I spent the next two days getting it ready to run. Typical problems; dirty, dead battery and low tire pressure.

I didn’t like the way the battery took a charge so I ran down to the local BMW Moto shop and get a new battery. They had one new gel cell which fit my bike and politely told me it was $380.00 plus tax. For that kind of money I figured I could get by on the generosity of the locals if I needed a jump start or push start.

Sunday morning I was checking emails and saw were “El Mago” had posted about his speeding ticket and worries about getting out of the country without going broke paying for the ticket. The nice Tico cop wrote a small story on the back of his bikes import paperwork about the ticket and cost. This makes it kind of hard to get through the boarder with out the paperwork or somebody seeing the note and expecting payment.

So I pm’d El Mago and said that I was going to Panama on Tuesday to handle my paperwork and then come back through and get another 90 day on my bike. Told him I was going through the Sabalito/Rio Sereno boarder crossing and we should get together.

Merlin stayed at my place Monday night and we left Tuesday morning at 6:15 for Panama. Great trip for both of us and my first time riding with a partner. His riding ability is far superior to mine. Especially on that crappy KLM 990. When we hit the really bad typical Costa Rica roads he’d just gas it and leave me in the dust showing me what a dual sports all about. The hell with him I love my Brick (BMW K75).

We had paper maps of the area and El Mago aka Merlin had a GPS but it didn’t show the roads at the boarder. My old Garmin 2610 with 2 year old maps did. I had read JDowns report on crossing here and his info was almost 100 correct. I’m sorry but in not wanting to miss my turn off I didn’t take time to photograph any land marks.

Once we were headed out of Sabalito we went approximately 2 kilometers before we saw the small county lane which was blacktopped. It was the first blacktopped road we came to on the right hand side coming out of Sabalito. Following the GPS and JDowns instructions the road did fork, and I mean right at the school. It was 5 to 7 kilometers to the boarder and real nasty gravel road for a street bike. El Mago and his piece of junk make it look to easy. I know I bottomed out several times and I was standing on my pegs as much as I could. K75 was never meant to ride that crap. But the Brick said the hell with it. El Mago can do so can we? I’m also smart enough not to do it again. I’ll leave it up too all your guys with bike that are designed for that crap shot and you guys that have that kind of experience. I can just imagine what that road would be like wet, it was dry this day.
A couple of photos to orient yourself with the buildings.

This is the Immigration building which is approximately 100 meters from the actual boarder at the Sabalito, Costa Rica and Rio Sereno, Panama. Absolute joy to go through. It took all of 5 minutes, really nice government people.

We drove our bikes right up the drive way and parked on the right side of the White 4X4. The immigration office is the door to the far left of the building.

Standing in front of the Costa Rica Immigration Building and looking at the Panama boarder. About 100 meters away.

The border crossing was really a treat after having come through all the others. It took all of 5 minutes to get through Costa Rica. Here’s what happened with my 9 month out of date paperwork. Young men at the desk asked me for my passport, stamped it and said have a great life. Then he asked me if I was coming back into the country with my motorcycle. My first answer was probably not. If not he didn’t need my paperwork, but if there was any chance later in life, or tomorrow I’d not get my bike back in because the computer would say its still in the country. Oh the agony of stupidity.

Now what to do? I walked out of the office to talk with Merlin so he would know what was getting ready to hit him and then our two great minds come to a conclusion. Turn in the paper work and hope we wouldn’t have to work for the rest of our life’s to pay for our stupidity.

I walked back in the office with the paperwork and handed it to the dual purpose immigration/customs guy. He did not even look at it; he just put the paper work on a pile of other papers and said thanks they would send it up line to who ever handles it next. Done deal for me. They did the exact same thing to Merlin and his high dollar speeding ticket. We both ran like hell to the Panama border. Time will tell if we get away with it.
That time will be in about two days for me, and about 2 years for Merlin.

From there we went to the Immigration office for Panama. Just before we arrived the electricity went out in Panama. I guess we use all our luck in Costa Rica.

The immigration officer took our passports and made a phone call to someone. Then told us to go to the customs office and to continue the processes until he got a phone call back allowing him to stamp us in. Sorry no photo of the Immigration Building.

Next it was to the customs department.

This blue colored building is the Customs Office for Panama, where we registered the bike and got our passports stamped saying we brought a bike into the country. 30 day importation permit given.
Check out the young couple on the steps. Typical Indians on the boarder of Costa Rica and Panama. The blue building is the Custom Office for Panama. Nothing but the best.
Oh and don't forget the handicapped accessible walkway.

Cute young girl walks us over to the insurance provider to make copies and buy bike insurance. Problems #1, no electricity; so he starts to writes it out long hand, but stops and tell us to go make photocopies across the street in Costa Rica.

Around the corner from the Customs office is a blacktop street with a typical boarder area shopping center. Two doors down was the insurance office where you bought mandatory Panama bike Insurance. $15.00. The electricity had gone out just as we there and they had to handwrite everything. But no photo copies, so back across the street to Costa Rica for photocopies. 2 of everything, Bike title and front page of Passport. Once Insurance was handwritten was back across the street to make two copies of the insurance papers. A lot of damn walking, and it was hot.

This was on the Costa Rica side were we had to make photocopies because the electricity had gone out in Panama.

Off we go, back to the land of Pura Vida. Make the needed copies and return to the insurance provider. Finishes the paper work and politely relieves each of us of $15.00 US dollars.

With the paper work in hand, photocopies needed we head back up the hill to the Immigration office and wait. Still no call back to say the we not on some international criminal list and not to let us in.

I was standing in front of the Customs office on the street and took a photo up the hill. Behind the red trucks is the Immigration building. This is where you start everything. The electricity had gone out in Panama as we just got there and every thing had to be done by phone and handwritten paperwork.

Merlin and I waited a short 15 to 20 more minutes and the Immigration official finally just stamped us in having never got the needed phone call.

Back down to the Customs girl. Passport stamped, needed photocopies and Insurance papers in hand.

40 minutes later we are out the door and lead to the fumigation department to pay $1.00 dollar to spray an unknown substance on our tires.

Merlin and I figured that we spent about 2 hours total getting out of Costa Rica and into Panama. If the electricity had been on in Panama I figure it would have taken less the 45 minutes total for both of us.

The time was not a problem; we were treated in the nicest way by all involved on both sides of the fence. Great experience.

Leaving out of the boarder area was very easy and the terrific roads really helped.

About 15 minutes from the border we got a bath. Nice little rain for about 15 miles.
We stayed in Volcan, Chiriqui, Panama last night. Since I’m just making a border run I have no place in particular to be. Merlin needs to be in Panama City to night so he left out headed down the hill to the coast. I hope he love hot weather.
2014 Ride Report: Ring of Ireland in 30 days
One of the beautiful things about riding solo is the quality of the social experience.

BeachGuy screwed with this post 12-03-2011 at 05:40 PM Reason: want to add a smilie face
BeachGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
El Mago
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Hey Jeff, you forgot to tell everyone that the border is closed on Saturday and Sunday!

'10 KTM 990 R
El Mago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
BeachGuy OP
Alabama & Costa Rica

Remember I'm not as young as you. I had a senior moment.

Hey everybody, not sure about the Panama side; but the Costa Rica border is closed on Saturday and Sunday at the Sabalito/Rio Sereno crossing.

There now I've done my public duty.
One of the beautiful things about riding solo is the quality of the social experience.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
El Mago
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachGuy View Post
Remember I'm not as young as you. I had a senior moment.

Hey everybody, not sure about the Panama side; but the Costa Rica border is closed on Saturday and Sunday at the Sabalito/Rio Sereno crossing.

There now I've done my public duty.
Any photos of Dos Rios?

'10 KTM 990 R
El Mago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
BeachGuy OP
Alabama & Costa Rica

Stand by I'm editing them now. And will post.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
BeachGuy OP
Alabama & Costa Rica

Hotel Dos Rios, Panama

El Mago and I stayed at the Hotel Dos Rios, which is about 45 minute ride in the rain from the border crossing. Very nice place at $55.00 a night.

View from the second floor rooms.

Hotel Dos Rios courtyard with a river running through it.

El Mago made a really good choice in this hotel, not sure about him but I was ready to get off my bike; and I do mean by choice not by accident. 303 miles in one day and a border crossing got the best of me.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
BeachGuy OP
Alabama & Costa Rica

Sorry about no updates in a few days, been in Playa Pavones, Costa Rica without internet and no time to write. Will do so today.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #8
BeachGuy OP
Alabama & Costa Rica

A little late on the update!

Sorry again for the very late update to this report, but that was due to a small get off, face plant that I had once I got back into Costa Rica. More on that little episode later.

On Thursday September 15, I made my first mistake on this trip. It was Independence Day in Costa Rica and I tried to get back into Costa Rica with my bike. Big legal holiday and a very limited staff at the border.

Checking out of Panama was really very easy. It has two windows for Immigration, one for entering and one for exiting. The window for entering was full of Costa Rica bike riders headed for the big bike festival in David, Panama. Getting through Immigration was easy. Then I walked about 50 feet to the Customs window to check the bike out of Panama. Went super easy and took all of about 20 minutes.

Drove about 100 meters to the Costa Rica building to start the process of getting me and the bike back into Costa Rica. My timing was perfect; no buses coming in and tying up the Immigration building. The longest part of entering was filling out the Immigration papers.

From there I went to the Customs window 10 feet away to get the bikes paperwork. At that point in time my perfect day came to a sudden stop.

The customs guy looked at my passport and saw that I brought the bike in back on November of 2010. Then he tried to find a stamp showing when I took the bike out of the country, and he did; it showed September 13, 2011. Yes the guy can do basic arithmetic, and it showed me being only 9 month and 3 weeks over my 90 day permit.

At that point in time I had three options.
  • Take the bike back to Panama for 90 days and then re-enter.
  • Take the bike anywhere but Costa Rica immediately.
  • Have the bike impounded by his department and wait until the next day when the regular crew was working.

What’s a fool to do? I turned around walked back to the Immigration window and exited Costa Rica headed back to Panama.

Once I got to Panama I was now inline with about 75 Tico bikers trying to get into Panama. Lucky for me I had kept my Panama Insurance paperwork which was still good for 27 more days. Paid my $15.00 for immigration and stood inline for about 2 hours to complete the all needed paperwork and left looking for a hotel for the night. That meant I had to drive back to David with the hundreds of Tico bikers looking for a room. NO NAME HOTEL FOUND (love by the hour hotel).

BeachGuy screwed with this post 10-20-2011 at 12:52 PM
Old 10-20-2011, 02:10 PM   #9
2aroundtheworld
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I share your pain, having myself over extended my Panama permit for 4+ months...my truck is now back in Costa Rica, but it is not going back to Panama...

:)

Christian
www.panamapassage.com
2aroundtheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #10
BeachGuy OP
Alabama & Costa Rica

Still Alive and posting.

Leaving Panama Again

As I packed up this morning to make my run to the border I discovered that my battery had finally packed it in and was now a door stop. Luckily I was about 2 kilometers from a Price Smart (Sam’s Club in Central America). I got a helper at the No Name Hotel to give me a push start and off I went.

Price Smart did not have any motorcycle batteries but had a small car battery for $89.00 which I was going to strap down on the rear seat to make it home with. Then I found a $65.00 Battery Jumper pack, the kind you recharge from a wall outlet and keep in the truck of a car. Perfect, bought the Battery Jumper pack. Problems solved. It even had a fully charged battery ready to go.

Upon leaving Panama for the second time in two days I figured I’d get a little smarter this time around. Instead of checking out of Panama and into Costa Rica, I just drove right over to a Customs Agency across from the Immigration/Customs building on the Costa Rica side and parked. This way if I had a problem I could not resolve in Costa Rica I would just go back to Panama and not have to do all the paper work again.

Costa Rica Immigration & Customs

Went to the customs office and began the process of trying to get my bike back into Costa Rica. It was a no go from the start, choices were the same: lose bike to customs, leave it in Panama for 90 days then try again or pay the taxes on the bike. Option #1 wasn’t going to happen, option #2 left me lost for a solution, didn’t know were or with whom to leave the bike with and then still had a 90 day problem in Panama just like Costa Rica. So the finale solution was to go to a Customs Agency across the street and start the paperwork to pay the bikes taxes in Costa Rica.

For those who are reading and don’t know; I have a home in Costa Rica and spend a great deal of time here. I therefore knew that at some point in time that I needed to pay the taxes, just not today.

To shorten the story I was directed to the Agency which was run by the husband of the #2 customs agent at the border (how convenient was that and you guys talk about the cops wanting propina, or bribes). Just a short 6 hours later and $1,618.00 less money in my bank account I was head back to Panama to check out of that pretty country back into Costa Rica and the needed paper work to enter the land of Pura Vida.

By now it’s getting dark and the nice agent who just relieved me of $1618.00 tells me how to get to his cousins hotel. What nice people they are! Keeping it all in the family like that.

The breakdown on the $1,618.00 goes like this:
1995 BMW K75 motorcycle: $1,043.00 Taxes
Agency fees: $ 400.00
Penalty for overstaying $ 175.00
Total Cost $1,618.00

Next morning I’m off to Playa Pavones to visit some old friends from Orange Beach, AL who have a small hotel and surf camp there. If you’re a surfer and know anything about a Left hand break, then you have heard about Playa Pavones.

Go here to check them out. www.pavonesbestrentals.com
Pavones Best Rentals, Pavones Costa Rica

I stayed with Les and Carolina for the night and got to watch Alabama put a bruising on North Texas. Don’t you just love it when your team wins? Roll Tide!

Don’t ask me about surfing, I look like a beached whale on a surf board. Could no more stand up on one in the sand much less the wet stuff.

The next morning I left for San Jose and home. If you are riding a street bike and love adventure then by all means go to Playa Pavones. The roads will keep your derriere puckered the entire time. These roads would be impassable during the wet season if you’re not riding a Dual Sport or true Dirt bike with the proper tires. Street tires barely got me through with the roads having just a little moisture on them. These were not gravel roads; they were rocks or small bolder roads. I’m talking from the size of walnuts to softball size rocks. Reminds me of the song Slip Sliding Away by Paul Simon
Slip sliding away, slip sliding away
You know the nearer your destination, the more you slip sliding away.

Short video of the road during the dry season, it does rain during the dry season.

Two hours later and 40 kilometers down the road I’m back at the frontier of Costa Rica/Panama headed to the house.

It’s now Sunday afternoon and the traffic headed back to San Jose is heavy with all the Tico’s who have traveled to the frontier to buy the big ticket items in Panama (read as no taxes).

As I’m traveling north on the Pan Am and I just pass the town of Ciudad Neily I had my second bike accident in 44 years of riding. The first one was 39 years ago.

Coming out of a sallow right hand curve on the Pan Am doing about 70 kilometers per hour I ran up on a towed car that broke loose from the lead car. They had just entered the highway and were turning north with the tow rope broke. I had planned on passing to the left of the car when it started rolling backward and across the road. I swear if I had aimed at the car I could not have hit it more directly.

Bike ended up in the ditch and according to the 3 girls in the car behind me I made between 6 and 8 somersault rolling flips across the road. The girls made a successful stop and came running up to me. Just as fast as they got to me they pulled me off the highway. No sooner had they done that when a Tico bus went speeding by. I have always called my daughters my 3 Angles, but as of that day I have 3 new Angles.

My new 3 angles also defended me when the guy with the towed car came up to me demanding that I pay for the damage to his car when my bike and I hit it. They promptly told him it was illegal to tow a car on the Pan Am highway and that I should expect him to pay for my damages. That was the last time I heard from him, he left shortly after that.

Tico bikers coming back from Panama rolled up and started making phone calls and arranged for the Cruz Rojas (ambulance service) to come and check me over and for a platform tow truck to get the bike. I later found out the he worked for the government as a highway controller who checks on the pricing of tow trucks in the country. A lot of services are price fixed by the government, no gouging here.

As I waited for the Cruz Rojas about 1 ½ hours I was the prince of the ball. Every car, bike and bus stopped to look at my bike and me. Everybody wished me well and then left me in the dust. However my 3 Angles stood right by me and kept a vigilant eye on me and my safety. When the Cruz Rojas got through looking at me and dressing my hands and knees wounds, they pronounced me one of the living, then left in a hurry.

The platform truck showed up 1 ½ hours after the Cruz Rojas. I’m now into 3 hours of stiffing up like piece of raw hide. The platform truck driver was by him self and I guess he figured I could help him load the bike. That was a joke. Once again my 3 Angles come to the rescue and helped him. And one of them is pregnant.

The charge for picking up my bike and delivering it and me to San Jose was $400.00. If was kind of hard to argue the price when you can barely hobble along and have no other options.

When my 3 Angles realize that there is no way I can climb into the tow truck much less want to ride the damn thing 6 hours to San Jose, they made room in their car for me and I rode with them back to San Jose were they dropped me off at my house. I told you they were Angles.

Monday morning pain, pain, and more pain. I’m not 21 years old any more, damn it hurts to walk. My 3 Angles call my wife in the morning and made the suggestion that I wasn’t the smartest rock in the road and should go see a doctor. 10 minutes later the guy on the bike that works for the government called my wife, checking up on me and also suggested a doctor. How many of you have been married 35 years and have won an argument with your wife lately. I’m going to the doctor; if she’ll drive because I can barely hobble.

Results are below:
This is what happens when you thin leather gloves don’t do the job.

This is what happens when you fall off your motor scooter.

Well the prognosis is left lower fibula fractured, sever hematoma left shoulder and chest area, numerous skin laceration and burses. Fibula needs 7 to 9 weeks to heal, chest and shoulder hematoma need 3 to 4 months to do the same. Damn I wish I was 21 again, it might not hurt as much.

More to come.

BeachGuy screwed with this post 12-02-2011 at 08:06 PM
Old 12-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #11
BeachGuy OP
Alabama & Costa Rica

The cost of stupidity!

For all the inmates making a trip south of the Rio Grand who do not plan of some type of Get Off, you can stop reading.

For everybody else, some hard cold facts to ponder on. $$$$$$$. What does it cost to be stupid?

Helmet: $230.00 Trashed
Riding Gloves $ 50.00 Trashed
Riding Jacket $185.00 Trashed
Riding Pants $125.00 Trashed
Booths $150.00 Trashed
Towing Service $400.00
Hospital & Doctor $750.00
Follow up w/Doctor $175.00
Reschedule Airline Depart $320.00
Parts to fix bike (to date) $625.00
Total to date: $3010.00

One additional item: $3200.00 New Dinning Room Table
Cheaper than hearing my wife talk about the expense of my motorcycles, and what’s mine is hers lecture. There is always hidden cost involved.

New Total Cost as of today $6210.00. Isn’t marriage great?

A few explanations are due. The riding gear did everything asked of it; however I will purchase a higher quality gear this time. The one size fits all is not true. Elbows and knee armor did not stay where it was suppose to and I have a few road rash/burns because of it.

I was unable to travel for several weeks and my wife and I had to reschedule our return trip. $160.00 each equaled $320.00. Old adage “when time to spare go by air; more time yet go by Jet”.

Now if you have been figuring cost for your trip, be sure and include one more. The cost of replacing all the gear, which I had already paid for and now need to replace. Dear Lord, I hope my wife doesn’t see this. I can only imagine what else she needs to make her life complete and hold over my head.

A few photos of the damaged gear:

Left arm of the Tourmaster Jacket.

Back side right shoulder area.

Left lower pocket area, note the burn/melt area on the belt.

Right elbow sleeve.

Left pant leg at the knee area.

Right pant leg at the knee area.

Helmet

Yes, all the gear all the time. ATGATT

Old 12-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #12
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,701
Holy Hell Man Time to open a new bottle of Flor and maybe another

Glad you're still walking and talking as it could have been worse. I guess now you K75 is officially imported in CR? Lots of taxes paid not to be able to keep it there for the duration.

It's always something and it never quits. Goodluck amigo!
Old 12-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #13
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,191
Damn. Actually it looks like the gear held up OK. Sounds like you are a little worse off than the gear, but glad youre still around to talk about it. What happened, were you trying to follow Merlin on his 990R?

When you get back to the states to order new gear, give Motoport a call. I'm partial to the Air Mesh II jacket with full quad armor.

I had a few big off's in this gear. I wont wear anything else.

What sliding down Mexican asphalt at 70 mph does......

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507934

The off in the thread was the worst one, but then I high sided in the rain, at night, coming down a twisty mountain road outside of Medellin. I did a very stylish superman into the oncoming lane at about 40 mph and slid on my chin, hands, and stomach for a good 50 feet or so. The only thing hurt was my pride.

Had another pretty good get off in Nicaragua on the dirt road headed to Puerto Cabezas. I was blasting through some whoops at around 50 mph on a loaded down 990. Not a good idea. Airborne off the second to last whoop, I cratered the front in the face of the next one and went over the bars. That one hurt a little and I was gimping around for a couple of weeks nursing myself with 7 year Flor, but the gear did its job.

Also, FWIW, I always wear full MX boots too.

Glad youre OK man, heal up soon!

crashmaster screwed with this post 12-05-2011 at 04:53 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:42 AM   #14
BeachGuy OP
Alabama & Costa Rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Holy Hell Man Time to open a new bottle of Flor and maybe another

Glad you're still walking and talking as it could have been worse. I guess now you K75 is officially imported in CR? Lots of taxes paid not to be able to keep it there for the duration.

It's always something and it never quits. Goodluck amigo!
For 35 years there has always been a bottle of Flor de Cana in my house, and a reserve bottle in hiding.

The "Brick" (K75) is officially imported into Costa Rica, just need a TICO tag.

I was just thinking about my helmet and needing a new one when I remembered yours. Hell mines still new compared to that thing you found on the side of the road. And my visor is definitely clearer than yours.

Thanks for the well wishes on healing.

When do you plan on going back south to complete your trip?
Old 12-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #15
BeachGuy OP
Alabama & Costa Rica

Reply to crashmaster

"Damn. Actually it looks like the gear held up OK. Sounds like you are a little worse off than the gear, but glad you’re still around to talk about it. What happened, were you trying to follow Merlin on his 990R"?

There is something about you guys who love KTM’s as much as other are in love with BMW’s. For those that don’t know the reason here is the answer:
KTM riders are nuts and not the plain peanut kind. Who in there right mind would drive a 10’ tall dual sport bike that weights 2 tons on a wet and raining road running full knobbies, in the curves of a 10,000’ mountain with on coming trucks, cars, motos and loco burros at 70 miles an hour. KTM riders that who. While I, a humble BMW rider was trying to do the same thing, but at 25 miles an hour. And look who has the accident. Damn.

"When you get back to the states to order new gear, give Motoport a call. I'm partial to the Air Mesh II jacket with full quad armor".

I have already looked at and studied their web site. I remember you have written about them before and then Merlin aka “El Mago” was wearing them on our little trip south. No loose and baggy gear for him, you could tell he had them tailor fit and the armor was in the position it was suppose to be. Maybe not as pretty as the commercially advertise stuff, but definitely, purposely designed and made.

My Tourmaster jacket and Joe Rocket pants served there purpose, but in after thought they did so barely. At the speed I hit the ground, the jackets arms and armor moved too much and I got road rash on both my elbows. The rest of the jacket did its thing and no torn skin or road rash else where. At that speed and my body weight (yeah, I’m fat) I should have broken many bones.

The Joe Rocket pants, same story. Knee armor was useless. Skidding down the blacktop on your butt and face has a tendency to pull the pants down around you ankles (well not that far down) but down. In my case it could have been worse. At least I was wearing a pair of Lowe’s home center heavy duty suspenders to hold up the pants. Have your ever noticed that people with big guts never raise their arms above their head. Their pants tend to fall down, thus the heavy duty suspenders. Great investment, they held up.

++++ For the phone call to Motoport.

"Also, FWIW, I always wear full MX boots too".

I was wearing a pair of TXC touring boots which I really liked and were comfortable.
But after breaking my left leg just above the ankle I realize that I could have been wearing a pair of street shoes and gotten the same effect. $150.00 touring boots plus another $150.00 would have gotten me a real pair of MX boots with protection. That might have saved me the price of doctor, hospital, X-rays, cast and then walking boot and 9 weeks of healing.

Too all who read this learn from me, don’t go cheap on the riding gear.
Hell ride a KTM before your can afford a BMW but get good stuff. Sorry I just had to put that in.