Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2011, 11:05 AM   #31
potski
Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalpilot4 View Post
I know that some of you are extreme adventure riders, and the thought of an organized ride makes you cringe in horror. Please spare me your negative feedback. I too have done some amazing solo rides in the states and to Mexico without any support other than what was on my bike, and I was perfectly content this time to have the safety of a support vehicle with a paramedic on board while we rode through remote African countries. We actually had a bad crash which required his services...but I will get to that later!

Thanks for subscribing and I hope to keep you entertained!!

Enjoying your RR the vid and looking forward to more...No need to justify anything here; so you have done both solo and guided..On this occasion you chose guided with all it's advantages, and in good company by all accounts....it's you cash, ride and life and your enjoying it..Nice one Subscribed.

Cheers
Potski
Old 09-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #32
rideforsmiles
Sheldon

Oddometer: 2,052
Hope whoever hit the deck was ok never a nice thing to happen while on an adventure.
rideforsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #33
globalpilot4 OP
GSPilot4

Oddometer: 111
Planning and Preparation

Now that I had approval from the wife, the employer, the bank, the kids, the doctor, and the insurance company, I was ready to start planning and preparing for my trip. My biggest concerns were as follows:

1) Visas- These were a non issue as they are readily available at the borders for the right price...
2) Vaccinations- Having traveled to Africa before for work, I had all the vaccines. Yellow fever, tetanus, polio boosters, Hepatitis A through f'n Z. I decided to have my doc stick me for typhoid fever and a bottle of anti malaria pills. Those damn things will mess you up. They cause terrible stomach aches if taken on an empty stomach, and they give you the most lucid, trippy dreams. I will be glad to be off of these soon!!
3) Riding gear- A non issue since I have everything from riding my F800 GS here in Arizona. I have the Olympia X Moto jacket and pants. Great product and extremely versatile. We rode in temps from near freezing in pouring rain on mountain passes, to 105 degree scorching desert rides in Namibia and Zambia. I was always comfortable! Here is the gear:

4) Boots- My trusty, broken in Sidi crossfires. Worth every penny.
5) Helmet- Arai
6) Underwear- This was one of my biggest concerns! How the hell was I going to pack enough underwear for 16 days of riding with no wash machines?? The answer...Exofficio Boxer Briefs. These things rock. I brought only three pairs. I would wash them in the evening, and they would be dry in about 2 hours. I returned home and threw out all of my cotton briefs for these bad boys!! Enough about underwear!!
7) Airlines- A combination of Continental and South African Airlines got me and all of my gear there and back without a single issue, despite the fact that it took over 35 hours each way! I had a large duffel that I checked with all of my riding gear, including my helmet. I wrapped it up in my jacket to protect it. I then zip tied the outside of the bag. Let me tell you, I was so relieved to see that bag come out on the conveyor belt in Cape Town!! I traveled with a North Face Basecamp duffel bag for my carry on. These things are dust/water/baby/bomb proof. These bags are the shit!
8) Camera Equipment- I brought my GOPRO for my helmet cam, a Canon IS210 for my front pocket for pics in a hurry, and a Canon 550 DSLR for the nice photos. I decided to head out into the desert behind my house for some practice with all this camera equipment.

Note: I know this is a lame ass video, but I was trying to play with various camera settings and angles. I tried to put it to some "in your face" music to make it seem badass...but I know it isn't! With that great intro, I present training day!!

Let the backlash begin! Ha!!

globalpilot4 screwed with this post 10-10-2011 at 05:34 AM
globalpilot4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:53 PM   #34
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
I'd ride with Charley Boorman any day on a motorbike tour. He comes through as an extremy likeable guy with good riding skills.
-- subscribed ---
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100

F650Dakar_Norway screwed with this post 09-18-2011 at 03:41 PM
F650Dakar_Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #35
Suncoast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
you are a lucky man!!

I'm in, sounds like the trip of a lifetime!!
Old 09-16-2011, 03:51 PM   #36
JemezMtns
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
It's a deal!

$10,000 for that much trip is a smokin' hot deal!
Old 09-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #37
QuidProMoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Looks like fun

I actually like the second video! Keep them coming.
QuidProMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:30 PM   #38
Edmond Dantès
The Kanto Pain

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Let the backlash begin! Ha!!
"Training Day" Training Day? And there I was expecting a movie with Denzel, Ethan and (I am loathe to say the name of the actress because it's too close to Eve for comfort), Eva Mendes.

Then you go and spring a video of a guy smoking around on a motorcycle in the beautiful Sonoran Desert on me.
Edmond Dantès is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:37 PM   #39
SteveOnTheWay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Tag
SteveOnTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:55 PM   #40
Red Stripe
Church of the High Desert

Oddometer: 283
Nice

Got me rethinking guided tours for sure....... Am curious to see how it worked out and your thoughts on it, sounds positive so far.
WR (plated even)
Some other R
Red Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #41
globalpilot4 OP
GSPilot4

Oddometer: 111
Cape Town meet and greet!

Alright...let's get this RR going. After 36 hours of traveling in coach, I finally arrived in Cape Town...worn, battered, stiff, and with a headache from all the great South African Pinotage wine. I anxiously ran to baggage claim, just hoping and preying that all my riding gear made the journey as well. I was ecstatic to see my bag in one piece, with my zip tie still on the zipper. I collected my bags and looked for my transportation, which was arranged by Motoaventures. To my surprise, there was a driver waiting there for me who loaded me and my gear into a Mercedes C class. What a nice way to start off my adventure!

We were all staying at the V and A Waterfront hotel in Cape Town. I quickly checked in (very nice rooms BTW) and ran down to the bar to see if anyone had checked in yet. I heard the group before I saw them. After some intros, we had a few beers, then off to a pub for some more beers. People had traveled from all over for this trip...USA, Canada, Australia, Tasmania, Israel, UK, and Kuwait and Africa.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Downtown Cape Town

V and A Waterfront Hotel

What a great night. We all had a few too many beers, but the next day was our own. We were free to explore Cape Town and pick up our bikes at Cape Town BMW. I walked over with my buddy Jimmy to go pick up my bike. I originally signed up for a 1200 GS because the GS Adventure was not available. I got a call from Su the night before asking if I would like to have a GSA for the trip at no extra cost. Apparently, BMW was transporting the bikes down for the trip and the trailer carrying all the bikes flipped. They only had GSA's available. We hadn't even started the trip, and four bikes were totaled!! I was just stoked to have a GSA to ride!!

Pick a bike...any bike

I had one of only 5 1200 GSA's. Sweeeeet! I am not going to miss my F800GS!

One of two Land Rover support vehicles.

We met Charley, his tour manager Billy, and John from Motoaventures that day. They were running around and setting up the bikes with Garmin Zumos and tank bags. Charley was very talkative and just plain cool as shit! From that moment on, I knew this trip was going to be epic! We had our first group dinner that night, and then off to bed to get ready for our first big riding day!

This is the parking lot at the V and A hotel. We took over the lot!
Old 09-17-2011, 04:59 AM   #42
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Soooooooo IN!

This is the same tour I mentioned in my "Moto-Tours: Who and Where" thread at Post #19, http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562972

ktm950se

ktm950se screwed with this post 09-17-2011 at 05:22 AM
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:52 AM   #43
wildbilly
I am released...

Oddometer: 41
You make my dream real (for you)! I will follow or I will shut down... Totaly in!
wildbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:22 AM   #44
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
At that price, you couldn't have been too stressed over the economy...

Great vids.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:42 AM   #45
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,285
what a great way to explore Africa and my partner and I would do what you did in a heart beat if we had the money!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote