Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2011, 01:29 PM   #121
Goran69
MNE

Oddometer: 831
What a great read....and some well spent 10K Euro........makes me wanna do it ........
Goran69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:00 PM   #122
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by far View Post
I will Like to see the 2 video but this is what you-tube has to say

[This video content has EMS, who blocked in your country for reasons related to copyright.]
It was probably blocked because of the sh!tty soundtrack(not a motley crew fan) but the vid was good with the sound muted.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #123
California
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 2,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalpilot4 View Post
BTW...I am loving the stubby holder. I am putting it to great use!!
Reading through, I was wondering......
Is the "stubby holder" some sort of seat modification? Your a brave man to admit in peublic that you're loving it......

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference
California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:00 PM   #124
Max Wedge
ADVenture mowing

Oddometer: 324
Just caught up with this report...awesome...gives me ideas. IN!

-you never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office.
Max Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #125
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
The riding was fantastic, very similar to rides I have done in Arizona, Utah and Colorado. The 1200 GSA was a dream to ride in all sorts of terrain. I was not missing my F800 GS at all. I decided to go with Charley and a few select others to do a technical, sandy segment which lasted about 75 km. I really was amazed at how well the GSA did in the deep sand. No problem...

So you still riding your F800 or have you traded ? Just wondering, thinking!! Thanks enjoying the report!

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #126
y2blade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
great trip report
thanks for sharing.
y2blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:18 PM   #127
GSdog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Great ride report so far brotha! I'm so glad you are doing this. I can't wait until you get to the part AFTER I crashed and broke my vertebrae...because the days that follow my epic dirt nap are a bit hazy to say the least.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:15 PM   #128
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSTes1300 View Post
I spent several years in Africa, crossed it on a bike, 18,000 miles. The animals, geography, sunsets are all fine, but the best things about the continent are the people. On a tour like yours, you go where they lead, and SA tours certainly won't let you interact much with the, what ever they call them these days. My memories and pictures are of people, some animals, but there are so many it gets redundant. I suppose you can't expect too much from a few weeks where handlebar time is the prime objective. Try a year or two, and you'll have the time of your life.
I think he's what you call a party pooper. Nothing like raining on the man's parade.
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #129
guitarhack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
This RR is too cool.

Thanks for sharing it
guitarhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:20 PM   #130
tractorking
Retired Moto Courier

Oddometer: 85
Thumb

tractorking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:09 PM   #131
globalpilot4 OP
GSPilot4

Oddometer: 111
Clanwilliam to Springbok (490KM)

There comes a point in any journey or adventure (or vacation for that matter) when you actually feel like you are truly "living it." The first few days of this trip were so overwhelming..the African landscapes, the new friends, the beautiful locals, the new and exotic foods, the different languages, the 1200 GSA, and just riding with Charley were all a bit difficult to take in and process.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

I felt like I was watching a movie. But, I woke up this morning and really felt like I belonged in Africa. I was settling into this ride and loving every minute of it.

The days ride was another fast paced, long ride filled with amazing scenery, challenging terrain, and of course a few crashes. I will post a new video of today as soon as I get around to it. I promise not to set the video to Motley Crue! I pissed somebody off a few posts back with my choice of music!! Anyway, we left Clanwilliam bright and early. I teamed up with Adam, a crazy FF from Australia. He is a damn good rider, and a hell of a drinker.

Now, I really don't know how it all started, but our laid back riding day turned into an all out Dakar Rally. We pushed those bikes hard on the gravel roads and technical sections. We only slowed down for gate crossing, wildflowers and lunch.

We had a lot of ground to cover. I kept thinking, "What the hell am I doing? One mistake at these speeds and the trip is over." I knew it was stupid, but the roads were just so damn inviting!! Then, with another twist of the throttle, we were launching off of cattle guards and sliding around corners.

My rear tire was taking a major beating. These puppies were supposed to make it all the way to Vic Falls. Not a chance in hell! (About five of us had to swap out our tires 2500 km into the trip.) Speaking of rear tires, a rider in our group ate shit and actually snapped his swing arm. He came over a slight crest and hit some major 12 inch deep ruts.

Fortunately, he walked away with only minor bruises, and a deflated ego! His bike was done!

That night, we stayed at the Diamond Lodge, a quirky little B and B.

The grounds were filled with creepy little garden gnomes and weird statues. We drank quite a few beers that night rehashing the days ride. Windhoek lager is great!! They should have sponsored the ride.

Each day so far has been so exciting, challenging, and stimulating. I awoke each morning excited to see what the ride would bring. I was blown away day after day. It really does't get any better...at least for me!

My roomie, Tim, taking in all the wildflowers.

Next stop...Namibia

globalpilot4 screwed with this post 10-10-2011 at 05:41 AM
globalpilot4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:30 AM   #132
Black-Ops
The left one....

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider007 View Post
One question: While you few hot shot superior riders are frolicking with Charlie what are the inferior unskilled riders doing and who, if anyone, is guiding them?
As one of the inferior unskilled riders, I can say we were having a great time! As Global said some of the group liked the faster stuff and we just rode at a speed where we were happy. We had a gps to show the way and a sweep rider, Billy who was always around. Charley would often appear and ride with, or have a chat with us as well.

Global are you going to tell him what a stubby holder is.........?

Black-Ops screwed with this post 09-27-2011 at 03:41 AM
Black-Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:34 AM   #133
potski
Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalpilot4 View Post
John and Su from Motoaventures did an excellent job
Superb RR keep it coming; looking forward to reading/seeing more.
Bumped into John from motoaventures a few times on trails in the Pyrenees; seemd a pretty decent guy; small world isn't it.

Cheers
Potski

"Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the bloody thing" Barry Sheen
potski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:56 AM   #134
globalpilot4 OP
GSPilot4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Ops View Post
Global are you going to tell him what a stubby holder is.........?
Black-ops! So great to see you here mate!! Please feel free to chime in any time with stories, photos, or criticism. The term "stubby holder" was new to me as well. Here in the states we call them beer koozies, and they are perfect for keeping your beer ice cold, and your hands warm. The Australians apparently go nuts over these things. They collect them like they're currency. Black-ops had a bunch made up for all the guys (and gals) on our trip. Please post a photo of one if you have it Black-ops!
Old 09-27-2011, 08:02 AM   #135
globalpilot4 OP
GSPilot4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSdog View Post
Great ride report so far brotha! I'm so glad you are doing this. I can't wait until you get to the part AFTER I crashed and broke my vertebrae...because the days that follow my epic dirt nap are a bit hazy to say the least.
GSDOG! Great to hear from you. How is the recovery process going? When I cover your epic accident in this RR, it would be great to get some first hand knowledge of the event from you...if you can remember anything!