Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2011, 07:24 AM   #16
Z0RR0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
I shipped.

See my ongoing thread here : http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725369

Shipping was absurdly simple. Ride in the warehouse in Montreal, ride out in Toulouse. Done deal.

Customs only asked for my registration, they made a copy. Took a minute.

There's something about having your own bike.

If you can swing it, buy and sell locally.

Renting is too expensive IMO, even including insurance!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:20 AM   #17
2WheelieADV OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0RR0 View Post
I shipped.

See my ongoing thread here : http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725369

Shipping was absurdly simple. Ride in the warehouse in Montreal, ride out in Toulouse. Done deal.

Customs only asked for my registration, they made a copy. Took a minute.

There's something about having your own bike.

If you can swing it, buy and sell locally.

Renting is too expensive IMO, even including insurance!
You sipped it one way, right? What did you pay for the shipping?
2WheelieADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #18
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,001
Thumb Hu

+1 on Horizons Unlimited to learn about shipping. Cost considerations: physical size of the bike, windshield removed or not, front wheel removed or not, crated or on a pallet, ports of departure and arrival, season, by sea or by air. How long do you want to be without a bike during shipment? You should also consider what it costs for you to get to the pick up point in Europe; fees and delays are different for different ports (hotels/meals/taxis?); crates cost money and take time to load/unload the bike (will they let you do it yourself or do you have to pay for that?); what are the drop off requirements? One shipper told me they require only 24 hrs if shipped by air from Paris, but if loaded for air shipment back from Germany it'd be 5 days. What do I do for that 5 days and what will that cost? Some shippers don't allow loaded side cases, others let you load them. See Horizons Unlimited on the web. Then call a local shipper and start asking questions. Get the answers in writing before committing to anything.
Have fun. It's all about the ride, right?

Ken Fritz screwed with this post 10-25-2011 at 04:22 PM Reason: spelling
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:35 AM   #19
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,572
the easiest way to ship is thru motorcycleservices.com
its not cheapest, but its easy. But, they only ship out of canada due to the US's increasingly stupid rules. On the upside, you ride to the airport in canada, and ride away in europe. bike is on the same plane as you. last time I used them in 09, it was 1700usd one way
from the US, I use Lufthansa cargo. last 2 years I shipped to germany, no fees, no problems. both times were custom bikes I built. neither is legal in germany, but had no issues. plan on 5 days from when you drop off the crate, to being able to pick it up in europe. last time it was 1200usd one way
you must have green card liability insurance. as a foreigner, the green card you buy is only good for EU countries, which means you have to buy insurance at the border for non eu countries (srb, hr, bih, etc) it gets expensive. EU reg vehicles can get green card to cover all of europe, eu & non eu.

Ive never rented, but its probably the easiest, the bike is waiting for you, it has insurance, but make sure you can take it into non EU countries.

Doug

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #20
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Good info, taking notes for my trip to Europe this Spring!
Doug, when you used Lufthansa cargo, did you ship your bike back to the US with them as well? If so, did they keep your crate for you to re-use?

ktm950se

ktm950se screwed with this post 11-10-2011 at 04:23 PM
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #21
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,572
I didnt ship the bikes back, they are still in Bulgaria. I dunno about leaving the crate, lufthansa at frankfort is huge, maybe you can talk to someone when you get there about leaving it, but I never have.

Doug

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:38 AM   #22
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
OK, thanks for the info!

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:20 PM   #23
2WheelieADV OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Which country in Europe (eastern or western) can b thee least expansive to rent? I don't really care where to start off the trip if I can save some more $$$.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:09 AM   #24
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
20 days rental at the top of the food chain (say, an R1200GS or equivalent) will run you about $3K ready to roll. Walk up, sign the papers and ride out. No hassles, no issues and you're on a new (or almost new) bike. This is less than you can ship yours over and back for, plus you have no hassles at either end. When I was renting, I'd hit Europe early in the morning (7 or 8 ish) and would be on the road by noon.

Rather than look for an open rental (pick up here, drop off there), consider just taking a train from "here" to "there". Euro trains are fast, comfortable and relatively cheap.

Also consider that rental price will usually reflect on the renter's reliability and the quality of his bikes - so a higher daily rate from a reputable dealer will tilt the odds of having a pleasant, trouble-free ride in your favor.

Bottom line - no free lunches.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:46 PM   #25
Luckies_AUT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
@2wheelieADV
If you plan to continue your trip I could offer you space for 2 bikes in my garage (in Vienna).

As said before, renting is quite expensive here in europe (specially motorcycles).
Of course it's the simplest way and all inclusive, but you pay for everything!

If you want to ship your bike, from Budapest to Vienna is a one day ride. From there you can take the train (over night) to Hamburg. At the next morning you ride your bike to the shipping company (directly in Hamburg or Bremerhaven) and fly home. Just 2 days of "work".

Or, if you think about to continue your trip ... to explore eastern europe ... leave it here. I just can tell you about the possibilities here in Vienna. Maybe someone has other contacts if you're interested.

If you need further information about shipping, call one of these:
Stefan Knopf (www.knopftours.com - Knopftours@aol.com) .. an expert for USA
Olaf J. Kleinknecht (www.intime-ham.com - info@intime-ham.com) ... for worldwide shipping
Luckies_AUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #26
2WheelieADV OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Luckies. I'm still weighting my options. It is about $2k to ship the bike from USA, and to rent in Barcelona (where we're planning to start) is EU75 per day which for 21 days comes out to approx the same money minus the hustle of all the shipping procedures... We're planning to pass thru Vienna, and hope seeing you there .
We also have to agree on the timing. The timeframe is June - September. I guess June may still have some snow and closed roads in the Alps and August is too touristy, however September can be cold and rainy again in the Alps and Germany, not sure. Maybe June~July are better? What months would you recommend?
Old 01-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #27
Feeding Father
From RU with love...

Oddometer: 236
When I had nearly the same situation, was planning the trip to USA, I decided to buy the bike and then to send it to Europe – to have it there for each year trips. If you have anybody in Europe who can help you and you have an interest to be there not once, I recommend you this direction.
We travel across the Europe w/o a country of origin sticker (the white ovals) and a reflective vest, it was not a problem at all. We only paid for the “Green card” and that is all. I have a plan to travel across the Europe each year and a little bit afraid that once to be in USA will have a wish to do the same. Then, I will have to buy 3-rd bike.
Feeding Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:47 AM   #28
BajaRat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelieADV View Post
Thanks Luckies. I'm still weighting my options. It is about $2k to ship the bike from USA, and to rent in Barcelona (where we're planning to start) is EU75 per day which for 21 days comes out to approx the same money minus the hustle of all the shipping procedures... We're planning to pass thru Vienna, and hope seeing you there .
We also have to agree on the timing. The timeframe is June - September. I guess June may still have some snow and closed roads in the Alps and August is too touristy, however September can be cold and rainy again in the Alps and Germany, not sure. Maybe June~July are better? What months would you recommend?
I live in Cologne Germany. 5 years.

One time trip in Europe? 75€ / day is a good rate. No hassle. Go that route.

Rental company will not allow bike to be taken into Hungary, Czech Republic, Croatia...All the eastern countries...And your Green Card insurance you get in Spain will not be good in the eastern countries either. (travel at your own risk). Border crossings are a non event throughout Europe and the eastern countries only ask for passport, nothing else.

Travel in June-July. Have yet to hit any Alpine passes that were closed in mid June.

Do Not go in August. All of southern Yurrup is on holiday and it is a MESS.

Get Michelin maps. If you have a GPS that you bike with in the US and can get a Europe card for it, do so. Nice to have.

Get a simple US to Europe electric plug adapter so you can charge computer or phone.

Get a cheap unlocked GSM phone(AT&T/Verizon) in the US and get a Vodafone, TMobile, or ?? SIM card in Spain then load up some minutes on it. Don't use your smart phone in Europe unless you get a Europe data plan. If you don't add a Europe data plan, turn off data roaming. Data roaming in Europe will kill you.

Use ATM''s to get €'s. That is the best exchange rate you will get. Let your bank know you will be traveling in Europe so they won't lock your card up. Also find out which ATM's (Plus, Cirrus...) your card will work in.

I know you did not ask about this stuff....Just giving the benefit of my experience.

HAVE FUN !
Old 01-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #29
2WheelieADV OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the good info, BajaRat.
I got the EU/USA adaptors for pover converting from 220 to 110, just gona need BMW socket convert adapter for my GPS etc. I'm planning to buy the Euro maps for GPS from Garmin for $99 (sucks) and use Tyre software (from Tyre.com) to navigate.

As for the phone I was thinking to turn off the roming and use the WIFI when avalable, plus Skype for calls on smartphone.
Also, how exactly is a green card insurance works and where to get it?

Thanks again. I need all the info I can get.

2WheelieADV screwed with this post 01-06-2012 at 09:43 AM
Old 01-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #30
CourtFisher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WheelieADV View Post
Thanks for the good info, BajaRat.
SNIP
Also, how exactly is a green card insurance works and where to get it?

Thanks again. I need all the info I can get.
If you rent--in Spain or anywhere--insurance is included by rental agency (except for exclusions noted by BajaRat).

If you air/seafreight your own bike, Euro Greencard insurance is available from
http://knopftours.com/Web-Site/Green%20Card.html;
http://www.mototouring.com/index.php?id=24; or
http://www.motorcycleexpress.com/ (details not on website; call them).
Get the Euro Greencard insurance document before you leave/ it's usually required to get your bike thru any Euro sea/airport Customs clearance.
CourtFisher is offline   Reply With Quote