Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2011, 12:05 AM   #151
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,165
Awesome! Great country down there ... Thanks so much for posting your ride to remind me!
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:21 PM   #152
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,512
When you are checking out the Wave and Coyote Buttes next time, take a look at the Paria Movie Set which is north of 89a. The road takes off heading north from a large gravel lot located on the north side of 89a just where the highway curves to the left after climbing up the hill from House Rock Road (which is where you would turn off 89a to go to the Wave) while you are heading west. I am not sure of the mile marker but I am sure you could find it with some Google searching. There are (were) some old movie set buildings down there that were used in various westerns including "The Outlaw Jesse Wales". I think the old buildings are gone now but it still is a very cool area. There is a dry campground down there. Also just north of the campground is a old graveyard. Across the river are some ruins of buildings from when there used to be a town there. It is a beautiful area!
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #153
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,377
Gift from Santa

Merry Christmas to all ADVers!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:27 PM   #154
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, MasterMarine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
When you are checking out the Wave and Coyote Buttes next time, take a look at the Paria Movie Set which is north of 89a. The road takes off heading north from a large gravel lot located on the north side of 89a just where the highway curves to the left after climbing up the hill from House Rock Road (which is where you would turn off 89a to go to the Wave) while you are heading west. I am not sure of the mile marker but I am sure you could find it with some Google searching. There are (were) some old movie set buildings down there that were used in various westerns including "The Outlaw Jesse Wales". I think the old buildings are gone now but it still is a very cool area. There is a dry campground down there. Also just north of the campground is a old graveyard. Across the river are some ruins of buildings from when there used to be a town there. It is a beautiful area!
Yeah! That area is definitely on my list. My dad has been there photographing once or twice. He reports that it's very beautiful. I was on the nearby Cottonwood Canyon Rd (From 89 to Bryce via Grosvenor Arch and Kodachrome Basin State Park) many years ago.

Doing a few multi-day rides (camping or cheap hotels) in this area is definitely on my list. I might start the trip from the Brian Head area -- Mammoth Rd to Long Valley Junction on 89, Alton Amphitheater Scenic Backway, south on Johnson Canyon Scenic Backway, then further east to the Paria River area. Endless variations (dirt and pavement). Most likely head north to Bryce, then eventually back to Brian Head area. Realistically, this will have to wait until summer, although lots of the lower elevation stuff will be great by mid-Spring.

We have some family friends we go (ATV) camping with. The Paria River area is often discussed (lots of water crossings), but Coral Pink Sand Dunes is closer to St. George, and a huge hit with kids. Also very scenic. Coral Pink may be our next destination.

Thanks again for the details and good suggestion!

Old 12-28-2011, 03:51 PM   #155
bump
COLOR ME GONE

Oddometer: 713
Congrats on a worthy thread!

Great job, thanks!

I've been in that area a bit but far too little. A kid I grew up with had a grandfather retire to the St George area. And I went camping up there a bit during college. We've taken a boat up into Grand Canyon from Mead a couple of times. The last time was about 14 years ago when they had that huge discharge of water to clean out the GC. We took a larger boat up there that time, a 26' Scarab. We went way past the National Park Buoy. Perhaps turned around about Toroweap Overlook or a bit father. We put on ski racing gear and skied out all the way to Pierce Ferry. Every time we are on Mead up that way I want to ride that area north of the GC and east of Overton Arm.

Your photos are great and I'm glad to see so much scenery and so few food images. Just my opinion...

I gotta get a group together to spend about five days there riding fo sho.

Thanks again!
bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #156
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, Bump!

Nice note. Thanks. Sounds like you've been to Lake Mead and the AZ Strip area a fair bit. It's great riding.

In addition to Toroweap again, I'd like to get to some of the other overlook points (further west) -- Twin Point, Kelly Point, Whitmore Canyon, etc. Easier when the days get longer, and it gets a bit warmer. Probably, these will be overnight camping trips.

Mesquite is a great staging area for exploring east of the Overton Arm. Mesquite has inexpensive everything and relatively easy access to Lime Kiln Canyon Road, Elbow Canyon Road, and Gold Butte Road. I'd like to follow Gold Butte Road south to Grand Gulch Road and Grand Wash on the shore of Lake Mead. Could connect eastward through the Grand Wash Wilderness to the Mount Trumbull Schoolhouse area. Lots of exploring to do. Might need a bike with a bigger gas tank . . .

Best wishes for lots of riding in 2012!

Old 01-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #157
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,993
Speaking of Mesquite we had planned a long ride thru there and we were going to go over and do Mormon Wells road in the Desert Wildlife National Refuge. Then we were going to take the Alamo road thru DWNR up to Alamo.

(We didn't do the trip because we had a mud disaster in Chinle AZ and destroyed our clutches. Had to spend an unplanned night on the mountain and be rescued by the Navajo Police in pickup trucks the next day.)

Anyway I read a trip report where some guys had planned to ride the Alamo road but it looked seriously closed. I rode it many years ago and there were signs saying it was closed, but they didn't look too serious. And we rode it anyway with no problems. I think the signs were to discourage people in sedans from trying it.

Anyway2 do you know anything about this road and do you have any plans to try it in the near future? We are planning to retry our ride again maybe this fall.

We did do Mormon Wells road two years ago come April and it was great except for the 2-3 inches of snow we had to slug thru.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #158
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

No knowledge of Alamo Road in Nevada

Hey Wbbnm,

No, I don't know anything about the Alamo Road. Sorry. All of my riding in Nevada has been east of highway 93, mostly around Caliente, Panaca, and Pioche. Some dirt, some pavement.

A while back I did read about some of your adventures. Nice. I grabbed this pic as an enticement for other inmates to take a look at some of your threads. The mud adventure on the Navajo Reservation looked especially fun.

For what it's worth, there are several ways to get from the St. George area west on dirt to Panaca and Caliente, NV. Both have gas. Caliente is an old railroad town with a small collection of inexpensive hotels and restaurants. About 5 small state parks in eastern Nevada, all worth exploring, especially Cathedral Gorge State Park. http://parks.nv.gov/cg.htm

Good luck with your ride planning. Lots of territory out there.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #159
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,993
I have two backup plans for the DWNR.

First is to just take Mormon Wells (MW) road over to the Alamo road and if it is really closed to take MW back to 93 and just ride 93 up to Alamo. It would still be a really nice ride. MW is an absolute blast.

The other is to use some of your tracks and loop northwest then northeast out of Mesquite up to Cedar City. Our plan was to ride from Alamo to Cedar City. I did kind of want to see the Delamar town/mine site, but it is probably too far west for this option.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #160
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Enterprise Reservoir Area

Wbbnm -- if you end up doing the loop from Mesquite to Cedar City, there is great territory around Enterprise Reservoir. Lots of dirt roads (very moto friendly) in Dixie National Forest -- especially the area southwest from the reservoir towards Motoqua (nothing there - polygamy outpost). There is nice camping on the larger, upper lake. Also an "official" state campground, Honeycomb Rocks. Small town of Enterprise has gas, and simple food. One cheap hotel. Post 56 on page 4 shows some of this area.

Generally, the best riding is west of Utah highway 18 (St. George to Enterprise) and south of Utah highway 56 (Cedar City - Newcastle - Beryl Junction - Modena). In Utah, north of 56 is somewhat agricultural (and flat). Once in Nevada, highway 56 becomes Nevada highway 319 (Uvada - Panaca). Very interesting terrain both north and south of 319 in Nevada.

Let me know if you ever plan to come through St. George.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #161
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,886
Paria river bed

STill loving your stuff RedRockRider.

Have you ever rode down the Paria river bed from Cannonville ????
Me and a buddy did in 2002.
Wasn't sure it was legal---but had a talk with the BLM office and she said it is a legal road
open to any traffic -----but was under consideration for a change--so we lucked out and road it.
If a huge rain storm came from the North while you were in there---you'd probably drown---we
watched the weather very closely.

Maybe you know all this.
Anyway----I've only read of one other guy doing this---way before us on a BMW GS1000.
Maybe millions have--but I've just heard of the one guy.
It was one of my favorite rides of my life.

Any info you have of this I'd appreciate---I'd like to do it again someday--we entered from Sheep Creek.

I was absolutely flabbergasted---to run head on into this longhorn steer in the river bed.
He just stared us down--and I didn't know what he was going to do.
We finally eased by him.

We popped up out of the river bed to this old Western movie set--which someone said was the set
for the ending to "The Outlaw Josey Wales".
We had ridden from Moab to the North rim of the Grand Canyon and back on this ride.

My riding partner (left)--sadly died a few years ago.

2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 01-04-2012 at 06:40 PM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #162
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,886
By the way---I hope to ride in your area of Utah this year---and am hanging on every word
of your riding. All your details I'm soaking up.

BigDog
2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #163
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Still loving your stuff RedRockRider.

Have you ever rode down the Paria river bed from Cannonville ????
Me and a buddy did in 2002.
Wasn't sure it was legal---but had a talk with the BLM office and she said it is a legal road
open to any traffic -----but was under consideration for a change--so we lucked out and road it.
We popped up out of the river bed to this old Western movie set--which someone said was the set
for the ending to "The Outlaw Josey Wales".
We had ridden from Moab to the North rim of the Grand Canyon and back on this ride.

My riding partner (left)--sadly died a few years ago.

The movie set is the Paria Movie Set I mentioned a few posts ago. I think the buildings are gone again. I have not ridden the Paria River all the way from Cannonville but I did drive up from the Paria Movie set toward Cannonville for quite a few miles once in my Pathfinder. I also hiked from the Paria Movie set down the river toward Cottonwood Canyon Road and it appeared there was a road at one time down the canyon. All of this is in the Escalante - Grand Staircase National Monument so I do not know if it is allowed anymore.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #164
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Paria River "Road" in Grand Staircase NM

Hey BigDogAdventures, MasterMarine, and inmates --

My understanding is the riverbed route from the old Paria townsite north to Sheep Creek (intersection with Skutumpah Rd near Cannonville) is now closed to all motorized traffic. Quite a bit of controversy. Closed in 2009. If you are bored, google it. Kane County, Utah vs. National Monument -- lots of complicated jurisdiction issues. An ATV friend I bumped into says the ban is currently enforced (confiscation), but it may be under review. Perhaps some side trails near the river open, but not the route with all the river crossings. Stay tuned.

I've never been through the Paria River area -- certainly amazing. Nearby Cottonwood Canyon Road and Skutumpah Road are both definitely open and worthwhile! Plan to do some exploring over this way when the days get longer. Have to go check it out myself!

Get out and ride. Very warm in Southern Utah -- sunny with temp in mid 60s.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:42 AM   #165
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Green Valley

First ride of 2012 a few days ago. St. George has been sunny and warm. High temps in the low 60s.

There is some nice dirt riding west of Green Valley, just a few miles from my house. Area is also popular with mountain bikers and rock climbers.

On to the pics. Green Valley Spa.

On the TW200 after gaining a bit of elevation, near the mountain bike trailhead. Pine Valley Mountain in background with no snow. So far, not a good year for snow sports. Spring runoff will be light.

Popular mountain bike trail. This climbs the ridge, then drops down to Bloomington (Navajo Drive).

Nearby, the substation.

One rocky track a bit further south from the substation turns west and climbs to the ridge near a powerline. This is the view looking west from the top. Cliff drops down to Bloomington area below. Mountain bike trails and vast area accessed via Navajo Drive is visable below. Been riding out there a lot, especially with Dad. No way down to Bloomington from here. Need to cut back to Santa Clara for that.

Testing out the SPOT. Working great so far. But, seems to be off on location by a few hundred yards. Haven't tested enough yet. Any insights? In a real emergency, a few hundred yards would probably not be an issue at all, still makes me wonder . . .

On ridge in late afternoon light.

Powerline and the TW.

Looking west as the powerline drops over the cliff and down to Bloomington / Navajo Road. The gap in the mountains behind the wires is the Virgin River Gorge. Utah is the right (north) side, and Arizona is the left (south) more distant side. Lot of great territory up there above the gorge.

Green Valley is probably the closest dirt to the west side of St. George. The area has a surprising number of roads / trails / tracks for a relatively small space. Great views of the Entrada lava fields and mouth of Snow Canyon. Possible to connect to Santa Clara on dirt. Almost all is BLM land. Common for people to camp and have fires, etc. Very close to town, but still possible to be isolated.

Best wishes to ADVers for 2012. Ride often, ride safe!