User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #376
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Motorcycle Weekend with Dad at Brian Head

Had a guy weekend with Dad at Brian Head. Two nice moto rides. Great fun, good weather. On to the pics!

Here's our bikes and Dad ready to roll from the road in front of our condo. Great starting point for higher elevation rides.

We rode from Brian Head down the Summit Mountain Road, from Summit to Cedar City on the frontage road, then up to the Parowan Gap Petroglyphs. Continued to Paragonah, then on the Little Creek Road (#77) and #76 back to Panguitch Lake. From Panguitch Lake back on paved 143 to Brian Head. About 150 miles. No map but easy to follow on Benchmark. All the dirt sections are in good shape and easy for any dual sport bike.

Dad in "Honda" red on the Summit Mountain Road just leaving the Brian Head ski area. We ride this road on ATVs all the time. Nice overlooks with views to Cedar Breaks. Local knowledge helps here.

Lots of Aspen in this area. Great fall colors. About 9,000 - 10,000 ft. elevation.

Some storm clouds in the area, but we never got rained on. St. George was hit by flashfloods this weekend.

Great to be out riding with Dad. I think it had been a few weeks since he was in Europe and I was busy with other things. Summer is a great time for riding from Brian Head. Both our bikes are up there, so we'll have a few more rides including the fall color season.

View from the Summit Road down to Enoch Valley. Circle irrigation patterns are very distinctive.

Dad descending. About 4,000 feet of elevation drop.

This sign is very close to where the Summit Road hits the frontage road (along I-15) on the valley floor.

We looped in to Cedar City to buy gas, lunch, and get a few things. Easy to avoid the main roads by circling the western "suburbs." Interesting to see some of the outskirts.

Lunch. Gotta have it. Thanks, Dad. Ready for more riding.

On fast surface streets (UT 130) up to the Parowan Gap.

Petroglyhs.

Sign.

More Petroglyphs. The "zipper" design is thought to be an ancient calendar of sorts.

A family came by with this cool little moto. Kind of reminded me of my old lawnmower engine.

This little future inmate went ripping right along. No fear of high speed turns on gravel with no gear.

Continued on to Paragonah. Not much here, but a cool sign. Check out the spelling on the sign -- 2 Os. Benchmark uses 1 O. Somebody doesn't have it right. My guess is the locals got their own sign spelled properly.

We found the Little Creek Road (#77), 700 N, and headed for Panguitch Lake on dirt. First time on this road.

Road is in good condition and well signed. We turned south onto #76. Will travel out to Bear Valley on another ride. Scenic area. LIghtly used.

Feels good to be on dirt. A few rougher spots but all very easy. Lots of camping possibilities. But, no fires this year. Soon we start to see signs for Panguitch Lake.

Lots of territory to explore. We're headed to UT 143 at Panguitch Lake.

Dusk by the time we finish the dirt. Great ride with Dad. We put on our extra jackets for the ride back up 143 to Brian Head. We'll gain several thousand feet of elevation and the temps will drop. Only about 30 minutes, so we're fine.

Serious fire restrictions in place. Probably will remain in effect for several months.

Last pic overlooking Panguitch Lake at dusk.

Next day we road to Alton and Johnson Canyon Canyon Backway. Returned via Kanab and Duck Creek. Pics to follow. Thanks for riding along.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976

RedRockRider screwed with this post 08-26-2012 at 02:24 PM
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:47 AM   #377
ringokelly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Great report....looks nice up that way right now. Hopefully some day I get to tag along on one of your rides.
ringokelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #378
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, ringokelly. Brian Head area is the way to beat the heat. Great mountian climate, not so much desert. The fall riding season (back to school) is approaching. We'll certainly get out there. Hope all is well with you.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:31 PM   #379
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Second Brian Head Ride: Alton, Kanab.

Finally have some time to post the second day of riding with Dad from Brian Head. Fantastic. Essentially we covered most of page 82 in Benchmark. Great motorcycle roads, both paved and dirt. Highly recommend this area.

Here's the map:

Our route:
- Leave Brian Head, take UT 143 towards Panguitch Lake.
- Cut off on paved road to Mammoth Creek, Upper Mammoth Rd. Excellent curves and no traffic.
- Join UT 14 just east of Duck Creek, head east to Long Valley Junction.
- South short bit on UT 89 to 136 (paved) to Alton.
- South from Alton on dirt, Alton Amphitheater Scenic Backway. Nice!
- Continue south on Johnson Canyon Scenic Backway. Paved. Picturesque.
- West on UT 89 to Kanab. Food, gas and all services.
- North on UT 89 back to Long Valley Junction. These are fast miles but still scenic. Small interesting towns on route.
- West on UT 14 to Duck Creek area (Aspen Mirror Lake).
- Back to Brian Head via Navajo Lake and Cedar Breaks National Monument, UT 148.

About 180 miles total. Great time riding with Dad!

Gassing up at Brian Head before we start. Only premium gas available here. Good for the WRR!

Interesting lava flows near the Mammoth Creek Road.

Mammoth Creek. This small town is very concerned about forest fires. Lots of cautionary signs in area. No services.

Ready for action, parked near fire station at corner of Mammoth Road and UT 14, just east of Duck Creek. Fantastic cloud formations. We had good weather, but other areas in Southwest UT were hit with flash floods on this day.

Gas and convenience store at Long Valley Junction. Outdoor tables. Motorcycle friendly!

With UT 14 near Cedar City out of commission (landslide) and a light snowfall this past winter, businesses in this area took a big hit the last year. Business is back up at this gas station, but lots of places in Duck Creek seem to be barely hanging on.

This tractor is posted for sale if anyone is interested?

Very scenic bit of pavement up to Alton.

A couple of small lakes along the road in this section.

Dad on his bike. We leapfrog along, stopping for pics, then either chasing or waiting for the other guy. Typically no more than five minutes apart and usually we ride together.

Welcome to Alton. Not much there, but worth the trip.

Early history of Alton.

The town grid system is still very evident. Probably hasn't changed much in 100+ years.

We take a brief walk and check out the post office and the town park.

An Alton house that hasn't received much attention recently.

Entering GSENM as we start east/south on the Johnson Canyon Road.

Spectacular clouds. About this same time, St. George was hit with heavy flash flooding. Lots of swimming pools filled with muddy water from landscape erosion. Dad and I were blissfully enjoying the day and our motos.

We stopped at the intersection with the Skutumpah Road. Tough choice. This road is on our list. We'll get it soon. Dad has been on it in his SUV. I haven't been here yet.

Dad looking around for a minute at the southern end of the Skutumpah Road.

Always good to grab a pic of the road sign. Great riding through this area!

For knocking out the washboard. Roads were smooth, so this must have been used recently.

Scenery in the upper part of Johnson Canyon.

Lower part of Johnson Canyon is no longer in GSENM, but still very picturesque. Green pasture, orange cliffs, blue sky, white clouds. This is colorful country!

Roadside scene.

Some fast pavement (UT 89) in to Kanab, but our dual sport bikes do fine as long as the throttle is opened up. We both have a 6th gear which helps for highway cruising.

Time for food. Nedra's is easy to find, right at the main intersection in the center of town. Quite a few ADVers have had meals here.

Excellent. Good to take a break and refuel.

On the edge of town we see the "famous" Kanab policman.

Time for a closer look . . . not much threat of tickets here.

Good sense of humor.

As I am taking these pics, a van stops and a crowd gathers with their cameras. Everyone wants a photo with the Kanab policeman.

On UT 89 heading north.

Another speed trap. Better stop for a closer look.

Much better looking than the Kanab policeman. Mount Carmel Junction!

She's patient enough to pose for a pic.

Aspen Mirror Lake is just west of Duck Creek Village. Dad and I stop for a short walk here. We've been here before. Very nice place. Just off the road enough to be quiet.

Shoreline.

Last shot of Aspen Mirror Lake.

We make a short stop at the roadside viewpoint and look down on Navajo Lake. Apparently the dike has broken and this is contributing to a low water level in the lake (along with a light snowfall last winter). Definitely a break in the dike!

A quick pic of me and Dad. An excellent weekend of riding. More of this coming soon!

Since we are driving right past Cedar Breaks National Momument we stop off, hoping for an interesting sunset pic, but not much happening with the light.

We continue along to the Chessmen Ridge Overlook but the light is still flat.

We each grab a photo or two even though the light is unappealing. Easy with digital. May as well. Starting to get colder so we head back to our Brian Head condo for warm food. Great ride Dad, thanks!

Ride safe out there inmates! Thanks for checking in. Give me a "heads up" if you're in the area.

RedRockRider screwed with this post 08-26-2012 at 03:33 PM
Old 07-26-2012, 08:05 AM   #380
Ol Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
There used to be a police car parked just entering Fredonia from the west....we called the "cop" Latex Larry. I don't think it has been there for the last few years.
Ol Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #381
DCZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Thanks again for taking the time to stop for pics and then to post them up.

Rick
DCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #382
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
The fake fuzz picture's were funny. So what do you think they use the solar panel on the dash of the Kane County Sheriff's Bronco for? Dome light on at night? Looked like another great ride, thanks for sharing.

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #383
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral View Post
The fake fuzz picture's were funny. So what do you think they use the solar panel on the dash of the Kane County Sheriff's Bronco for? Dome light on at night? Looked like another great ride, thanks for sharing.
The panel could just be hooked up to trickle charge the battery so it doesn't go dead.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:34 AM   #384
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

AZ Strip: Route 101 & Lime Kiln Canyon

Out for a solo ride last weekend. Big loop on the AZ Strip, back to St. George via Virgin River Gorge, but possible to avoid I-15 for all but nine miles -- Cedar Pocket to Black Rock Road exit. Also checked out the lower part of Elbow Canyon, but that will wait for another ride.

Here's the Benchmark map:

Basic route:
- Rt. 1069 south from St. George to Wolf Hole.
- Start west on Rt. 101 -- Mud Mountain Road. This road is well-marked and in reasonably good condition. Fine for any dual sport bike. Not so good for a car.
- One rough spot is in Cottonwood Wash. This is right on the crease of the Benchmark map. Road follows wash and is in rough condition with several erosion spots. Not too long.
- Gain elevation to cross Lime Kiln Pass and descend to Mesquite.
- I poked around Scenic and explored the very lower part of the Elbow Canyon Road.
- Use surface roads and dirt to avoid I-15, all except nine miles from Cedar Pocket back north to the Black Rock Road exit right on the AZ/UT border.

Overall, Benchmark is best, but here are two other maps. The Grand Canyon-Parashant is a simple overview, but useful. The Arizona Strip Map is super detailed, but not very readable. Opposite ends of the spectrum. Both good for different things. Gotta love maps.

On the the riding. WRR is at Brian Head, so the TW200 is the choice! UT/AZ border right at the River Road exit of the new airport road, just south of St. George. Lots of good rides start here.

Rt. 1069 is the main "dirt highway" south the Mount Trumbull Schoolhouse, good route to Toroweap. Initial elevation gain through Quail Canyon is quite scenic.

Sign in Wolf Hole. Time to turn right (west).

Almost immediately a left turn onto Rt. 101. Well marked. Good road.

My plan is to ride through to Mesquite. No problem on one tank of gas, but I'm carrying extra gas in case the road is washed out 3/4 of the way there. Always prudent to carry extra gas on the AZ Strip.

Entering Grand Canyon - Parashant National Monument. Vast!

Several active fires and some recent burns in this area. I stop and talk with a guy from this crew. They are supporting a helicopter which is currently out doing recon on fresh fires from lightening strikes.

Burn from about a week prior. The Hobble Canyon Fire. Burned northwards and crossed Rt. 101.

Mud Mountain. Simple sign on side of road, if you're not going too fast you might notice it.

Fewer rocks and hardpack here. Some sand and dried mud. In wet weather this section of road would turn into a quagmire quickly. I'm sure the Mud Mountain is well named. This would be a bad place to be stuck.

Definitely the desert here. Typical plant.

Parts of the road are on sagebrush flats and relatively straight. Other part follow washes and small canyons, lots of curves. Great clouds. I'm watching, but a serious weather threat didn't materialize.

This water truck was in support of another fire. Carries about 4,000 gallons. The 500 gallon capacity brush trucks were nearby fighting a fresh blaze. Nice guys out there. All interested in the TW. Most common question -- has that bike changed at all in the last 20 years. Basic answer -- No.

Jacob Well area. Old corral.

Good signs all along Rt 101. This is where the road uses Cottonwood Wash for a stretch and is prone to erosion. I'm still tracking towards Mesquite.

View south towards Pakoon Basin. Big vistas and long distances.

Rough section of road with some little erosion ledges for the TW to hop up and down. No recent maintenance here, but it could be coming. Some equipment in the general area.

Brumley Well. Got this detail from the AZ Strip map.

Empty tank. Well in disrepair. Hasn't been working for some time.

Four-way intersection (in the middle of nowhere). This was the end of the short rougher section in Cottonwood Wash.

Gaining elevation and approaching Lime Kiln Pass from the south. Great views. Some red sandstone.

TW is a great little bike for this kind if riding. Easy to explore.

Equipment on the south side of Lime Kiln Pass.

All this area is in Arizona. Don't hit Nevada until very, very close to Mesquite.

Gaining elevation.

Close to the top the road splits several sandstone formations.

And the top. Lots of inmates have passed this way. Feel free to post up a photo . . .

Starting the descent down Lime Kiln Canyon. Some interesting rock formations near the top of Lime Kiln. Road is in good condition.

Now we're on Rt. 242, no longer Rt 101. Rt. 101 continues to Whitney Pockets.

Most of the way down, you look back over your shoulder and see this sign.

Broad views across the sloping desert to the foothills of Mount Bangs.

Looking back at some of the upper walls of Lime Kiln Canyon.

Almost to Mesquite, leave AZ, enter NV. Looking back at the AZ sign. There is no Nevada sign.

Here is the sign you'd look for if you were starting in Mesquite and planning to go up into the AZ Strip via Lime Kiln Pass.

Went over to Scenic, AZ to find the bottom of the Elbow Canyon Road. Haven't done this yet. Know that it is steep and a bit loose. Quite a bit tougher than Lime Kiln from what I understand.

Even the sign is in rough shape.

Corral at the start of Elbow Canyon.

Route marker for Elbow Canyon.

Virgin River. There is a bridge at Scenic, AZ (pavement). Recent rains have increased the water levels with a muddy reddish flow.

Easy to use frontage/surface streets to avoid I-15 and get to Old Highway 91. Map shows interesting little dirt road that cuts directly in to Virgin River Gorge and connects to I-15 at Cedar Pockets. I've been on this road several times with Dad. We'll be back before too long. More photos to follow. Here's one pic of the sign.

Light is fading, but here's the TW "inside" the Virgin River Gorge, just before descending to Cedar Pockets to rejoin I-15.

Taken from the overpass at Cedar Pocket. No choice but to hop on I-15 for a short stint uphill at this point. Possible exit at Blackrock and use dirt to get back to St. George surface streets. Several ways possible.

Thanks for riding along. Be safe out there!

Old 07-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #385
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,738
good job rrr. i like the area very much.

been there 3x. last one was last month, to toroweap, northrim, and ut.

check out our RR below in my sig line.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:38 AM   #386
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Kayenta

Out for a road ride on the Versys. Drove through Kayenta to take in the red cliffs of Ivins in late afternoon light.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #387
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Utah Hill -- Old Highway 91

Versys on the backside of the Utah Hill, Old 91, just above Littlefield, AZ. Good motorcycle road!

Old 08-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #388
samthg
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
Versys on the backside of the Utah Hill, Old 91, just above Littlefield, AZ. Good motorcycle road!

That's a great shot! Kawi owes you royalties.
samthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #389
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Zion Narrows: Top-Down thru hike

Just did the Zion Narrows Top-Down thru hike with wife, Dad, sister, and friends. Awesome! Definitely one of the classic hikes of southern Utah. Start at Chamberlain's Ranch, end at Temple of Sinawava. 16 river miles. One overnight.

I'll add a few pics since Zion is such an incredible part of southwest Utah.

Good river shoes and hiking poles are essential. My foot at the top of the waterfall in the upper canyon.

Wife emerging from one of the long narrow sections below Big Springs. Very few day hikers make it this far "up" the Narrows. Friends (lurkers) in background.

Dad negotiating one of hundreds of river crossings. Not bad for a 74-year old with two knee replacements. Hard hiking -- great job, Dad!

Low water year in southern Utah. Only a few spots waist deep, but lots and lots of time in water like this. Fantastic!

Highly recommend a Narrows hike for those who are inclined. Top-down (2-day) is much better than bottom-up. Scenery and solitude for top-down hikers is extraordinary.

More on the bikes soon . . . buddy has the new Suzuki V-Strom Adventure . . .

Old 08-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #390
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,738
loving your RR.....i like the area as well.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote