Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #556
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
Hey Joel,

Thanks for invite. I'll be on a cruise in late May. Next time. Keep in touch when you head this way.

Five ways to get to AZ Strip from Mesquite:
1) Gold Butte Road via Whitney Pockets and Whitney Pass.
2) Lime Kiln Canyon - direct from Mesquite.
3) Elbow Canyon - steep and loose.
4) Black Rock Road Exit (1-15), Gypsum Mine, Maple Canyon -- this is your photo
5) River Road and south on BLM #1069 or County Highway 5. This is the main route south from St. George to Mt. Trumbull Schoolhouse.

If coming from So Cal and staying in Mesquite, I would opt for Gold Butte or Lime Kiln. Both are scenic and completely doable on loaded bikes. Elbow Canyon is tough as you know.

Choice 4) Maple Canyon is nice, but the problem is you have to ride I-15 up through the Gorge. Not bad as interstate goes, but certainly not dirt. Same for choice 5). Ride I-15 to new Airport Road exit on south edge of St. George. Both 4) and 5) require about 30 miles of I-15 through the Virgin River Gorge. You can avoid some of it by using frontage roads and a bit of dirt, but there is no work-around for the section of I-15 from Cedar Pockets north to the Black Rock Road exit. About 10 miles of I-15 that can't be avoided.

Check out Post #279 on Page 19 for good detail and maps of Choice 4) Maple Canyon.
Post #391 on top of Page 27 shows Lime Kiln Canyon and Rt. #101 past Mud Mountain. Map also shows dirt on north side of I-15 to Cedar Pockets.

I rode #101 from Wolf Hole over Whitney Pass and exited via Whitney Pocket onto Gold Butte Road earlier today. I'll post up pics shortly.

If you haven't done Whitney Pockets / Whitney Pass (this is Gold Butte Road), I'd opt for this route. Road is in good repair the entire way. Some sandy patches near Mud Mountain. Plan on taking some time, perhaps 4-5 hours from Gold Butte to Wolf Hole via Whitney Pass and #101.

lots of helpful info. 2 years back, we tried limekiln and hit a section filled with rocks (storm erosion) have to turn around. we were loaded with gear on big bikes. we will have camping gear again, and maybe this time it will be a lot better.

thanks rrr.

NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:25 PM   #557
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Open Invite: Toroweap, Thurs April 4th

All inmates and lurkers welcome to join.

Dual Sport Ride to Toroweap, Thursday, April 4th. Leaving St. George about 10 am.

Ride out past Mount Trumbull Schoolhouse, continue over to Toroweap Overlook, probably return via Colorado City (gas). Bring food, water, and gas. Need 180-200 mile range. Toroweap is by far the most spectacular overlook point on the North Rim. Easy dirt, most of it quite fast and smooth. Nothing technical. Still not good for road bikes.

Plan to spend most/all of the day. Bike must be street legal to enter Grand Canyon National Park and see overlook. No fees.

Post up or pm if interested.

Detailed info in Post #92 near top of page 7. http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=725976&page=7

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976

RedRockRider screwed with this post 03-20-2013 at 09:41 PM
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #558
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 3,979
Great resource!

Wow.
I just found this thread.
I love the SW corner of Utah and have only just begun to explore it.
This thread is going to be a fantastic resource.
Thank you for taking the time to post all this.
You wouldn't have GPS files for all this would you?

I'm going to be spending many days tracing these routes on a map.
This is going to be great!
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #559
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hey Q -- Sorry, no GPS. Guess I'm just an old map guy at heart. Like looking at Benchmark at home, planning out possibilities. Then doing the exploring out in the real world. Usually I carry extra gas if I'm not sure of a route. Checking out new places is always fun. Leads to some nice surprises. Dad has GPS but often hardier to navigate with it vs. old school maps and roadside signage. Lots of AZ Strip rides actually have decent markings. --- RRR.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:51 AM   #560
mountainfever
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
All inmates and lurkers welcome to join.

Dual Sport Ride to Toroweap, Thursday, April 4th. Leaving St. George about 10 am.

Ride out past Mount Trumbull Schoolhouse, continue over to Toroweap Overlook, probably return via Colorado City (gas). Bring food, water, and gas. Need 180-200 mile range. Toroweap is by far the most spectacular overlook point on the North Rim. Easy dirt, most of it quite fast and smooth. Nothing technical. Still not good for road bikes.

Plan to spend most/all of the day. Bike must be street legal to enter Grand Canyon National Park and see overlook. No fees.

Detailed info in Post #92 near top of page 7. http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=725976&page=7
Hi RRR , been lurking through your thread for a couple years , will be in your neck of the wood from the 30th till the 6th we will be staying in Mesquite and day riding out of there , we did get to Toroweap last year , might se you there , if you are out and about stop by the Virgin river hotel , we will be near the back somewhere , about thirteen of us so should be easy to spot
mf
Old 03-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #561
ram350
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Just found this post. If you are at the Virgin River I will stop by for a beer as I will be there at the same time. . See you there Dal.
ram350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #562
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

AZ Strip: Route 101, Whitney Pass and Whitney Pockets

Open invite for ride to Toroweap. Thursday, April 4th. Leaving St. George 10 am. Route: Mount Trumbull Schoolhouse, Toroweap, return via Colorado City. Need 180-200 mile range. Easy dirt, most of it fast and smooth.

Overdue pics and write-up from ride on AZ Strip to Whitney Pockets about a week ago.

Benchmark Map:

- Start at River Road exit from new Southern Parkway. Follow dirt south to Wolf Hole. Pics start here.
- Follow Route #101 all the way to Whitney Pass and Whitney Pockets. Good dirt the whole way.
- Connect with paved Gold Butte Road and return to Mesquite.

Mileage to Mesquite was just over 100. The might TW hit reserve just as I was approaching Mesquite.

Another great map. Easy to carry. The National Park Service / Bureau of Land Management map. Pick one up at the BLM office in St. George on River Road.

The road numbers on this map correspond with the signs you actually see out the in the real world. Not as much detail, but still a very useful little map.

On the the pics. First stop was the main intersection in Wolf Hole. Fast dirt to this point. Already about 30 miles from St. George. Mount Trumbull School house and Toroweap are straight ahead. Turn right for Route #101.

Caught a glimpse of this big white bird from the distance. Thought to take a closer look. Appears as if my fellow Utards have been out with the guns. No chance for this bird.

One quick turn and you are on Rt. #101. Lots of recent maintenance. Road in good condition the entire way.

Follow the signs to Whitney Pass.

Dirt airstrip in the middle of nowhere. Used for reconnaissance aircraft for firefighters.

Entering Grand Canyon - Parashant National Monument.

Road equipment in burn area near Hobble Canyon. This fire was a fairly big one from a year ago.

This is all Arizona. We left Utah back at the River Road exit. Enter Nevada near Whitney Pass.

More bicycle warning signs. Is this really necessary? After 50+ miles of dirt road and a dozen cattle gates, do we need more caution signs??? Never saw a cyclist on this part of the Strip before.

In the heart of the Hobble Canyon Fire burn.

Crossed one small seasonal stream, running quite clear. Pocum wash area. Water / snowmelt coming from Black Rock Mountain. This will dry up soon. Most of the year there is zero water on the Strip.

Obligatory photo of Mud Mountain with sign. Road runs in low spot here. Quite sandy and spots would be very, very muddy if any rain. This is the type of mud that would stop you.

Dropping some elevation and the plants are changing a bit. Getting more desert like.

Typical stretch of sand. Fat rear tire of TW is a sand machine!

Full pond at Jacobs Well. Pretty spot. Classic fence!

Official sign is on the other side, on the road descending from Black Rock Mountain.

Open tank at Jacobs Well.

On a short side road.

More desert plants.

Looking south down Cottonwood Wash toward Pakoon Basin.

The Brumley Well right on the road in Cottonwood Wash. Well was damaged and road was somewhat washed out about a year ago. All tuned up now.

Piping has been reburied and anchored with line of rocks.

Tank is full. But I wouldn't want to drink it unless very thirsty.

Four-way intersection. Left is my route, #101 to Whitney Pass. Straight is over Lime Kiln Pass and direct descent to Mesquite. This road is now in good condition. Right is connection to Black Rock Mountain. Haven't done this road yet. Rt. #1041 on the BLM map.

Still on Rt. #101. Great afternoon light.

Cool old house just before Whitney Pass.

Let's look around. Here's the living room.

Kitchen. Kind of trashed.

More kitchen carnage. Almost looks like the fridge from my college dorm room . . .

Bedroom.

Getting worse.

Hanging out back out front. Chair was quite comfortable.

Nice view of the bike while I had a drink.

Quick look around outside . . . pond adjacent to house.

Some cool rocks. These people picked a nice place for their house.

Looks like the boys have been out with their weaponry.

Either a root cellar or a bomb shelter. Check it out.

Inside . . . looks like it was a root cellar.

Location of the outhouse . . . Best to keep a safe distance. Don't want any mishaps. Would be a very bad place to hit the SPOT and have to wait for help.

Outdoor office. I could work here.

Another target.

Final pic of the homestead. Very fun to poke around these places. Probably lots of good time were had here. Looks like it was a mountain retreat about 50 years ago.

Starting to see some neat rock formations.

Gaining some elevation on the approach to Whitney Pass. Lots of big views back south and east across the AZ Strip.

Looking south towards the Grand Wash Cliffs.

Leaving AZ and entering Nevada.

Glamour shot of the TW on top of Whitney Pass. Carried extra gas but didn't end up needing it.

Looking directly at Virgin Peak from Whitney Pass.

Desert plants looking west.

The Overton Arm of Lake Mead in the distance.

Quite a few little side trails around Whitney Pass. Mostly short dead-ends to scenic overlooks.

Down in Whitney Pockets. Fantastic rocks. Great color. Lots of informal camping in this area. Easily accessible by truck, car, or moto from Mesquite via the Gold Butte Road. Good staging area for day rides deep onto the AZ Strip. No water. Not much of anything.

Small dam (dry) in narrow canyon.

Multi-colored rock.

Interesting place. Worth a visit.

From here it is pavement back to Riverside, NV then on "big" roads to Mesquite. Gold Butte is further south on dirt.

Last pic leaving Whitney Pocket area.

Thanks for riding along. And thanks for all the positive comments and PMs. Appreciate the votes.

Post up or PM if interested in Toroweap ride on Thursday, April 4th. Ride safe out there!

RedRockRider screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 10:38 PM
Old 03-28-2013, 07:06 AM   #563
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
Boy, that looked like a really good ride on the TW. I suppose I could google it, but the Hobble Canyon Fire burn looked fairly recent. Fire destruction is pretty impressive.

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #564
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
I have got to own a TW at some point in my riding career. They look like a blast. My brother had one for a while. He still regrets selling it.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #565
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Meet-up for ride to Toroweap: Thursday, April 4th

Open invite to inmates and lurkers. Dual sport ride to Toroweap, Thursday, April 4th.

Meet at gas station in front of Bloomington Walmart at 9:45 am.

Or meet at River Road exit off the new Southern Parkway at 10 am.

Pics of the USA gas station in front of the Bloomington Walmart -- 9:45 am.

Pics at the River Road Exit -- 10 am. This is the start of dirt, right on the UT / AZ border.

Route is Mount Trumbull Schoolhouse, Toroweap, return via Colorado City. Mostly fast smooth dirt. Any dual sport bike fine. No road bikes. Bring food and water. Ride will take most of day. 180-200 mile range necessary.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:27 AM   #566
tuna101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Like to join up, always wanted to do that area. Gearing up for trip to Moab for a month leaving the 10th, maybe next time, have fun.
tuna101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #567
fly2hi96
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
RRR,

Would a Vstom 650 be ok for this ride (it's setup with a knobby on the front and dual sport tire on the rear)?

I just moved to St. George about 6 weeks ago and haven't explored much on the motorcycle yet and would love to do this ride. I've explored a bit at the end of Navajo drive but that's it so far.

Also I want to thank you for this thread. This is the best resource for rides in SW Utah that I've found.

Thanks
Dave
fly2hi96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #568
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

V-strom with knobbies should be fine. 95% of the road to Toroweap is smooth gravel/dirt. Some double track and a few rock ledges (small) near the overlook, also 1-2 silt beds. If you go slowly where prudent you won't have any issues.

Post #92 near the top of Page 7 has Toroweap pics, but none of the 1 or 2 bumpier sections.

The V-strom will be ideal for the fast stretches and the slab from Colorado City back to St. George.

If you have gone even a few miles past the end of Navajo Drive then you've been on worse roads than almost all of the Toroweap ride.

Worst case scenario, you can always stop or turn-around.

Hope you can make it. Oh, and welcome to St. G.

RedRockRider screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 09:08 PM
Old 03-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #569
fly2hi96
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
V-strom with knobbies should be fine. 95% of the road to Toroweap is smooth gravel/dirt. Some double track and a few rock ledges (small) near the overlook, also 1-2 silt beds. If you go slowly where prudent you won't have any issues.

Post #92 near the top of Page 7 has Toroweap pics, but none of the 1 or 2 bumpier sections.

The V-strom will be ideal for the fast stretches and the slab from Colorado City back to St. George.

If you have gone even a few miles past the end of Navajo Drive then you've been on worse roads than almost all of the Toroweap ride.

Worst case scenario, you can always stop or turn-around.

Hope you can make it. Oh, and welcome to St. G.

Thanks for the info and unless something comes up at work I am going to go.
fly2hi96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:37 PM   #570
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Panguitch Lake - Spring Thaw

Was up at Brian Head for probably the last winter weekend of the year. Some skiing. No more time out on the sleds. Too much mud on the trails through town. Great weather. Had the chance to take out the Vulcan 900. It spent the winter at Brian Head so I haven't had the chance to ride it much in the last 4-5 months. Felt good.

Here's the beast up at the road going in to the main part of Cedar Breaks. This won't be opened up for another 2 months.

Still up high, 9000 ft, heading down towards Panguitch Lake. Great, great motorcycle road. Pavement is 100% dry and clear.

The bulk of Panguitch Lake is still frozen . . . lots of ice fishing here in the winter.

But lots of melt around the edges. Definitely not safe to be on the ice!

Desert rocks and lichen at the shoreline. There is a nice little paved road that circumnavigates the lake.

All the snow is gone from the open country, especially slopes facing south and west.

At the shoreline. Reminds me of Alaska.

Vulcan on the boat launch ramp on the far side of the lake.

Lots of melt-off!

Last pic of the lake.

Great roads heading back up the hill.

Although it was a nice warm afternoon, it still feels like winter at Cedar Breaks.

One Cedar Breaks view point is accessible by motorbike.

Looking back at the Vulcan and Brian Head Peak. The poles are to mark the road for snowplows.

Stopped by the Kolob Canyons section of Zion while returning to St. George. Beautiful red rock cliffs make sharp contrast with snow and white from Brian Head.

Open invite to Toroweap Ride. Thursday, April 4th. Details above.