User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #646
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Las Vegas - Part One

Had a conference in Las Vegas last week. Good opportunity to ride the moto. Traveling light. A few pics on the way down.

Oh, and thanks inmates for all the continuing positive comments (and pics) and PMs. Everyone's input adds a lot to the thread.

Exploring a few side roads (all paved) near Beaver Dam, AZ, just south of the Virgin River Gorge. Great skyscape!

Good frontage roads parallel I-15. Much more interesting curves and scenery. Plus easy opportunities for that required mirror shot!

Just north of Mesquite. Empty roads. Easy to park in any open stretch to get a pic.

Actually stopped and turned around to run this stretch of road backwards. No loitering allowed on this bridge. I've actually seen highway patrol here several times. Never have stopped on the bridge.

Just south of Mesquite. Some nice dips and waves in this stretch of pavement.

Virgin River at Riverside, NV. This is peak run-off. Not much snowpack in Southwest Utah mountains. Going to be low river flows this summer.

From the bridge. Virgin Peak in background. This is the start of the Gold Butte Road and the entrance to Cedar Pockets and the Western AZ Strip. Lots of good territory out there.

Short blast on I-15 and made quick time down to Valley of Fire State Park.

Valley of Fire is worth a trip. Haven't spent much time here. Will have to go back. Good for motos and pics. Off-trail hiking would be great if not too hot.

Late afternoon. Typical Valley of Fire road and scenery. Gorgeous rocks everywhere.

I went back and forth on this section a few times.

Playing around with the camera angle.

White Domes at the end of the scenic road.

Big views. Layers of multi-colored rock in the last direct light of the day. As always, could have used more time.

A few hours later, I was in the hotel room looking out on the Strip.

Time to go down and look around. Been to Vegas quite a few times. Roaming the Strip is always entertaining.

Why bother going to Paris?

The Aria sign seems to be taking top honors now for brightest and best in show.

The Bellagio with the fountain show in front.

Inside the Bellagio.

Lots of attractive women in Las Vegas. You'd have to be dead not to notice. Here's the only one I photographed.

Next door is Aria. Cool waterfall.

Inside Aria. Impressive architecture, but not as showy as Bellagio.

My son always likes pics of the castle. We have often cruised the skywalks over Las Vegas Blvd and Tropicana. Good intersection. Lots of action.

One for all you Harley guys. Let's see your Harleys . . .

Back to my home for a few nights.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976

RedRockRider screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 09:41 AM
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:35 PM   #647
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Las Vegas - Part Two

During the conference I had a chunk of free time late one afternoon. Drove out to Hoover Dam. Here is the Vulcan at the shoreline of Lake Mead.

Drove up top to the overlook. Pulled up next to the limo driver so we could compare our rides. The guys in the limo were photographers, offered up wine and cheese. Too bad they didn't have a better sky.

View looking down on the marina where I just was.

Parked next to this cool van. I think they had there own "snacks" inside. Didn't need to get out to share the wine and cheese.

The map.

Hoover Dam. Haven't been here for about 25 years. Water level is low!

The new "Pat Tillman" Memorial Bridge. Rode the moto across the bridge and back. Feels almost like a normal road. Walls on the side of the road and the approaches don't convey the feeling of height. Nice smooth surface.

Quite a few differences between Glen Canyon Dam and Hoover Dam. Visited Glen Canyon Dam with family last year. Much newer. Somewhat different tone to message about the environment.

Powerlines criss-cross the rock walls. I remember this from 25 years ago when the main road was on top of the bridge.

Spillway. This probably hasn't been used in a very long time. Even the size of this is impressive.

I like the icon of the "bad guy." Be sure to report to police if you happen to see someone wearing hat like this with a coat collar turned up over his neck. My son would have appreciated this classic cartoon-like look for a bad guy.

Lake, dam, and bridge. Walked around to get a few different angles.

Tourist boat came working its way down the lake towards the "no pass" barrier.

Back in Las Vegas went up to Fremont Street area before going back to the Strip. The Golden Goose looked like it was doing a brisk business.

Always easy to get rid of your extra money in Vegas.

Cruised the Strip once or twice before calling it a night.

Thanks for checkin' in. Ride safe, ride often!

Old 05-20-2013, 02:37 AM   #648
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Nice pics, as usual R3. The last time the spillway was used was in the late 80's. It was a year or two before I got there in 89. I enjoy riding the Northshore road out to Valley of Fire and Overton.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:22 PM   #649
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Las Vegas - Part Three

Thanks for the info, G19Tony. And thanks for the PM the other day.

Time to leave Las Vegas. I had more than half a day, so I took a scenic loop before heading north. Classic shot at the south end of the Strip.

Out to Red Rock Canyon. These European guys on rented Harleys seemed to be having a good time.

In between shuffling the bikes I grab a quick pick and go.

The BLM Visitor Center for Red Rock Canyon Conservation Area is on par with lots of National Park Visitor Centers. Lots of displays and a few modern art sculptures. I think this is a depiction of fire, one of the forces that has shaped the land.

San dunes frozen in time. Similar to lots of the local scenery around St. George.

Vulcan was a great bike for this trip. I had to cram a few extra things in the saddle bags for the ride home, but it all worked out well.

Similar to Snow Canyon State Park in St. George -- watch for turtles!

Near the end of the scenic drive (one-way) through Red Rock Canyon. Nice road with terrific views.

Near Bonnie Springs. Very docile. Happy to pose for pics.

Mural / painting at a gas station at the intersection with Nevada Route 160. Stay safe out there.

Open road out to Pahrump. Almost made the Vulcan 900 LT feel small.

Tourist shot.

Road was really fun, and stark, on the north side of Pahrump. Big empty spaces, rugged desert and mountains.

Taking advantage of the long open road to pose the Vulcan. Seems to be a traditional ADV-type pic. Long lonely highway, often in the American West.

Intersection with Highway 95. Have to save the trip to Tonopah for another day.

On Nevada 156, the lower slopes of Charleston Peak. Still very desert like.

Bike was flawless and very fun to be putting the miles on. Big windscreen was nice!

Dramatic changes near the top. Colder temps and mountain scenery.

Ski time in Vegas!

Still quite a lot of snow visible on all the north facing exposures.

Traded some pics with a nice Asian family at the top. It's the thing to do.

Took the curvy route over the check out the other side of Mount Charleston. Nice road. Not too impressed with little town. Lots of haphazard building, at least that's what you see from the road. Made the loop down 157 towards 95.

Final pic before returning to Vegas and I-15 and heading back to St. George. Bit of storm was threatening, but it never amounted to anything.

Really fun to be out on the bike. Good way to travel, especially if time allows for a bit of exploration. Thanks for riding along. Stay safe out there.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:28 PM   #650
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Mystery Canyon, Zion National Park

Canyon season in Zion. Starting to get permits for various hikes and canyons for this summer. Mystery Canyon is a tough permit to get. A couple of spaces were open this week, so I grabbed them. My sister was ready to go. Here we are at the top of Mystery, just above the "Death Gully."

My good buddy KLR Eddie was also along. Excellent with the ropes! Great guy.

Sister getting the hang of it with Eddie providing a fireman's belay from below. For those who have done Mystery before, we had Eddie go down the final rap at Mystery Falls first. Super slippery into the Narrows. Good to have fireman's belay on for the rookie.

Beautiful fluted rock in the upper part of the canyon.

My sister is very athletic and fit. She has some climbing experience and immediately gets it. Having fun with all the 50 ft. raps!

Eddie and sister handle the technical side of things while I mess with the camera!

Lots of down climbing through narrow slotted sections.

We start sending my sister down first. You know, to check for water or dead deer or monsters. Also to make sure the ropes are touching the ground before we go.

Again, Eddie and sister doing the work while I mess about.

The "lake" is dry. Sometimes you get to swim across.

More down climbing.

Siblings, enjoying the moment on top of the big rappel into Mystery Spring.

Eddie heads down first.

Here's me, just above the water. It's a wet disconnect.

Eddie and I sort the ropes. My sister is too busy laughing to help.

So we send her into the water first on the next short wet one.

Beautiful jungle passageway in lower Mystery.

Preparing for the final 120' rappel into the Zion Narrows.

Eddie going straight down the waterfall. He has a fan club of curious onlookers below.

My sister over the edge.

About halfway down. Wet and slippery the whole way.

Success! The three of us in the Narrows. Short walk downstream to the paved trail. Then on the shuttle bus and out to Springdale where we had left a car. Dad was kind enough to drive us to the top of Mystery, by Zion Ponderosa Lodge so we had easy logistics. Great day in the canyon with two of my favorite people.

RedRockRider screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 11:34 PM
Old 05-23-2013, 06:04 AM   #651
tuna101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
As usual great report and pictures.
tuna101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #652
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
I'd be

puking my guts out just dangling by a rope, but it sure looks like fun. Really really cool looking! Is there sharks in that water. If so, that'd be another reason not too!

I'm glad I'm old now and not expected to try this type of stuff anymore!

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #653
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

TW200 near Coral Pink & East Fork Virgin River

Out exploring on the TW200 last weekend. Checking out some areas between Coral Pink Sand Dunes and Zion National Park. Looking for some easy ATV access points for some canyons we want to do. Also doing reconnaissance for some family camping and hiking.

Slabbed it out to Coral Pink. Here's the sign on the section of non-paved road, quite sandy.

No map this time, but the access point is easy to find. Cane Beds, AZ, just west of Colorado City.

Found this arch on a little side trip. Perhaps someone is overly optimistic about future housing development, although this a pretty area.

Another small road with lots of sand.

Back on pavement very close to Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park.

Some Moab-inspired playtime on the slick rock.

Here's my location.

Highlight of the day was exploring the East Fork of the Virgin River, starting just south of Mt. Carmel Junction. Starts out as a good dirt road. Great scenery. BLM camping available.

The first of many river crossings. All easy, very fun.

Here's the run of pics:

I went in and out the same. Don't know if this makes an easy loop out to Coral Pink area. Potentially lots of sand and some steep grades. Accomplished most of my mission. Definitely an area worth revisiting. Scenery and the river crossings were awesome. Here's a look at the valley just before coming back towards Mt. Carmel Junction.

Drainage tunnel under Highway 89. Easy to walk through the tunnel.

View from inside the tunnel.

Stopped to say hello to the Sheriff.

Just as pretty as last year. Probably works part-time at the nearby home of the Ho-Made Pies.

Came home on asphalt through Zion. Photo of the Watchman from the bridge in late afternoon light.

View from side of the road in Springdale.

Thanks for riding along inmates & lurkers. The East Fork of the Virgin River just south of Mount Carmel Junction is very accessible and gorgeous. Plan to do more exploring in this area. Lots of options for motos, ATVs, camping, hiking, and canyoning. Ride safely out there.

RedRockRider screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 11:40 PM
Old 05-25-2013, 06:17 AM   #654
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
My head just spins, with the cool places you go. Another great RR, R3

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:29 AM   #655
DCZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Thank you for taking us along on another great couple of trips - the few ride reports I've done are time consuming - thanks for taking the time to share.

Rick
DCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #656
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,832
RRR, although a year and a half late, we finally did our big trip from New Mexico that included your part of the country.

My pics are here:

http://wbbnm.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Grand-Canyon-May-2013/29582044_QLnh8k#!i=2530202743&k=pkGmQfT

We rode the eastern rim of the Grand Cayon from west of Tuba City to Marble Canyon. Then along the north rim to Jacob Lake and Kanab.

From Kanab we went to Toroweap and it was as spectacular as pics show. Then the southern, somewhat challenging route to Mesquite past the Mt Trumbull school.

We then found some neat roads from Mesquite to Alamo including a dry lake bed that was a real playground. From Alamo we headed to Cedar City thru many of the places you have shown pics of. We hit the Delamar mine then down thru a great forest road to Elgin. We went up Pennsylvania Canyon which was a little challenging but fun. Did the Mt. Ella Lookout and then over to Enterprise for gas. Ended up in Cedar City for the night after doing Pinto rd.

Some of the guys went thru the New Harmony mountains south of Cedar City, but it was and I was too tired to do that loop.

I posted tracks on GPSXchange.com and DualSportMaps.com.

Your ride reports were a big factor in planning our route thru the St. George area. Thanks for the info.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #657
skian g
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Great Stuff here

Awesome Rides! Super Jealous of the amount of time you get to spend out riding, hopefully Ill be there someday. I have a WR250R, and am curious about the Yamaha side bag. Do you think it would work with a Pro Moto Billet fender rack instead of the factory Yamaha one? I would like something simple for commuting to work and really don't like the look of a tail bag or case on our bikes. I looked as best I could at the pictures in here but just couldn't tell, so if you have some pictures of the mounting that you could send me or post here that would be great, so I could get an idea of if it will work before I order it. Keep up the awesome reporting, and I will continue to contemplate moving to ST George!
Old 06-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #658
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yamaha support rack necessary for Yamaha side bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by skian g View Post
Awesome Rides! Super Jealous of the amount of time you get to spend out riding, hopefully Ill be there someday. I have a WR250R, and am curious about the Yamaha side bag. Do you think it would work with a Pro Moto Billet fender rack instead of the factory Yamaha one? I would like something simple for commuting to work and really don't like the look of a tail bag or case on our bikes. I looked as best I could at the pictures in here but just couldn't tell, so if you have some pictures of the mounting that you could send me or post here that would be great, so I could get an idea of if it will work before I order it. Keep up the awesome reporting, and I will continue to contemplate moving to ST George!
Thanks, skian g -- Don't think the Yamaha side bag will work without the Yamaha side bracket. Without it the bag will flop all over the place. Alternatively, Wolfman makes a couple of tail bags of varying sizes that would work well with your existing rack. Below is the blurb from page 17 plus one photo.

Photo of the WRR side bag below. It is Yami specific and has a support frame. The bag is great. It can hold 1-2 gallons of gas, water, extra jacket. Seems to be steady in all conditions. I have the Wolfman Peak Tailbag also. Like it. Fits the Yamaha tail rack perfectly and has expansion capacity. Ken bought the Yamaha tail bag for his bike (Sales Mgr. Discount -- ), but it's not as large and doesn't have expansion capacity. Nice matching look though.

Keep contemplating your move the Utah. I lived in PA (Pittsburgh, Carlisle, Malvern) for quite a few years. Nice places, but can't compare to the open spaces and weather of the western US if you're inclined to outdoor activities.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #659
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

Oddometer: 601
Cant wait to get out to the Moab area and also see Bonneville this August!
racergirl479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #660
ringokelly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by racergirl479 View Post
Cant wait to get out to the Moab area and also see Bonneville this August!
Go to Bonneville in Sept and you can see the speed runs.... Both Moab and Bonneville (Wendover) are both nice and toasty in August...
ringokelly is offline   Reply With Quote