User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #736
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,374
Narrows w/ Dad

Hey Holiday, I was in the Narrows this weekend also. Top down overnight hike with my dad.

Here's Dad at Big Springs. Beautiful color for the water.

We slept at campsite #8 under the big rock overhang the night before. Looking up at the canyon walls at night! Very dark in the depths of the Narrows.

Yours truly just below Big Springs on Sunday mid-afternoon. Holiday, we probably crossed paths if you went up and back.

My dad in one of the deeper sections.

As always the Narrows is beautiful. The water level is as low as I've ever seen it. Relatively easy walking in some stretches. And more time for pics!

Ride Meet-up. 9:30 am on Tuesday, 8/20, at Subway on north Bluff Street. Hope to see everyone there.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976

RedRockRider screwed with this post 08-19-2013 at 10:26 PM
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #737
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rut Runner View Post
Excellent pictures in this thread!

Looking for route suggestions to go from Kanab to Mesquite and back. Ideally would want a scenic, tougher dual-sport or trail route taking one day in each direction. This would be for mid-September.

I've done some research, and the Honeymoon trail is frequently mentioned. Also found the Tri-state ATV jamboree website with lots of trail maps.
Hey Rut Runner,

Honeymoon Trail is probably a reasonable option. I've been on small bits of it, but never tried to piece together longer sections. I think it might be a bit hit or miss as far as markings. Perhaps some private land issues as well. Sounds like you are doing your research including the ATV websites. I've browsed those a bit as well.

If I were going from Kanab to Mesquite I'd cut far south into the AZ Strip. The Benchmark AZ map has pretty good detail for selecting a route. I would not resurface for gas/water after leaving Kanab/Fredonia area so you'd need to plan long stretches (potentially 200 miles). Sounds like you are familiar with remote riding in southern Utah. Possible to be miles from any help and to go many hours without seeing another vehicle.

Suggestion for consideration: Leave 389 (paved) going west from Fredonia. Southwest on Antelope Valley Road towards Toroweap. Side trip to Toroweap viewpoint of Grand Canyon very worthwhile. Sept should be good month with temps not too hot. Go to Mount Trumbull Schoolhouse. Three main options to get towards Mesquite: 1) Nutter Twists Road. Connect through Whitney Pockets and Gold Butte Road to Mesquite. Could vary route much further south via Pakoon Spring and Grand Gulch, 2) Mud Mountain and Lime Kiln Canyon to Mesquite (easiest route), 3) Elbow Canyon to Mesquite (rocky, steep descent).

I have done some, but certainly not all of these roads and the many variations. Quite a few of the roads are decent, maintained dirt. But some are rutted, sandy, or rocky and receive little attention. All the roads are prone to washouts. There have been quite a few heavy but localized storms this summer. Anybody's guess if a few of the roads have damage.

Also lots of two track type stuff for general exploring, but it is very hard to know if the two track connects through to anything significant. A lot of the two track dead ends or just peters out. Fun to check out, just make sure you have lots of gas.

I think you could make a good Kanab-Mesquite-Kanab trip and traverse the AZ Strip area via two very different routes. Day one would give you a feel for what to expect -- time, difficulty, scenery, etc, -- and you could make adjustments to your route for day two. The distances are large and it is very remote. Give yourself a cushion on gas (and water).

Throw a pic or two up here after you do your ride.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #738
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rut Runner View Post
Excellent pictures in this thread!

Looking for route suggestions to go from Kanab to Mesquite and back. Ideally would want a scenic, tougher dual-sport or trail route taking one day in each direction. This would be for mid-September.

I've done some research, and the Honeymoon trail is frequently mentioned. Also found the Tri-state ATV jamboree website with lots of trail maps.
Rut Runner,

In addition to the info here which RedRockRider is providing, here is a link of a fellow who lives and rides in the same neck of the woods as RRR. In post 10 of the link is some information of the Honeymoon Trail. http://tw200forum.com/forum/trails-o...west-utah.html

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #739
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Inmate Ride - Enterprise Reservoir Area - 8/20/13

Successful ride complete, thanks inmates! No crashes and no dropped bikes. All riders safely back in St. George well before dark. Only a very, very minor (duct tape) repair to the mighty Zombie KLR from Michigan. All-in-all a very good day. We missed Samthg from Socal but I'm sure someone will have an ADV-salute photo to make him feel welcome. Incidentally Samthg's birthday coincided with the last inmate ride. Today we had ElleDubs with us, a St. George local, and it was her birthday. I'd say that was an upgrade.

Here's a simple map, just to give you an idea.

Left St. George on pavement headed to Santa Clara and Gunlock Reservoir. This is after meeting the lovely Mrs. Simbaboy at Subway for a few moments. She had to make sure Simbaboy zeroed in on the proper part of Bluff Street and didn't miss the meet-up.

Dirt from Veyo to Enterprise Reservoir. Made side loop to view "the Pinnacles." Great curvy and up and down dirt roads, all in good condition with no washouts. Doesn't show on the map well. Check Benchmark. Probably the highlight of the riding.

Upper and Lower Enterprise Reservoir. Lunch at Marv's in Enterprise town. One rider, Miki (lurker), bolts back to St. George on highway 18 after lunch. Four riders, ElleDubs, SimbaBoy, StG and RRR head out to Pinto. From Pinto south on dirt to Pine Valley. ElleDubs takes off from PineValley road to celebrate her birthday evening with real friends, not these imaginary ADV motorbike friends. She also says something about parental responsibility and "back-to-school-night." Happy B-day ElleDubs. Nice riding with you.

Three riders, SimbaBoy, StG, and RRR check out the Pine Valley Chapel (more on that later). Then descend on pavement to Central. After StG buys us beverages in Veyo with go to Diamond Valley and find the "Black Gulch" road (#033) that descends to St. George by the MotoZoo store.

May have been about 140 miles, but heh, who's counting. No crashes, lots of smiles, good times. StG says "this sure beats a day at the office."

Enough babble. On to the pics.

Three ugly bastards, plus ElleDubs. The birthday girl. Taken at Gunlock Reservoir.

Start of dirt at the sharp turn at the bottom of the Veyo Wall. Good dirt all the way to Enterprise Reservoir. Veyo Shoal Creek Road on Benchmark. Sign says Goldstrike Road. We tended to ride as a group, just spread out enough to avoid unnecessary dust. Nobody wanted to be left for the vultures in a worst case scenario.

My TW200 with the Goldstrike sign. Most of the guys were jealous of my TW, especially Miki, although he was kind enough not to say anything. Since Miki is a lurker I can throw basically unlimited shit his way. It's the price one must pay for being a lurker. I guess if I owned ump-teen BMW motorbikes over the last 40 years I'd be a bit envious of my stock TW as well.

Up on top one of the passes in the Bull Valley Mountains on the way to the Pinnacles and Enterprise Reservoir. StG, Miki, SimbaBoy, and ElleDubs. Pleasant conversation. Or shall I say let the lying begin. SimbaBoy, having recently conquered the White Rim Trail starts off . . . "on my last ride near Moab, my front tire barely touched the ground."

Rather than listen to this BS I take pics of all the bikes. Here is ElleDubs's well organized Yamaha XT. As I took this pic I think I heard her telling Miki and StG that she could probably beat them up that last hill on her mountain bike if she really wanted to. Miki said "yeah" but on my road bikes and pavement I would totally haul ass. StG was smart enough to just eat snacks and wait for the ride to resume.

StG's bike. A serious dual sport machine. And it's blue, not orange. I'm partial to the blue.

Miki's KLR. Immaculate, complete with crash bars. And the home depot tool box is a nice touch, in keeping with all the finest KLR traditions.

SimbaBoy's KLR. No side cases, knobby tires. Major league recent success conquering the White Rim Trail. Looks good. Let's go in for a closer look.

Uh oh. What's this . . . actual bandaids on the bike. Can't be good. Later in the ride this would get even better. Samthg, if you are reading along, I'm sure you can appreciate this. And, oh, the guys wanted me to say a special hello. And thanks for joining us, NOT. We'll be looking for you next time.

For completeness, my TW200. We have three Yamahas and two KLRs.

Lots of good riding up towards the Pinnacles. On Benchmark, past Maple Spring on #004. We pull off into a smooth rock camping area for water, shade, and another round of BS.

SimbaBoy and Miki become fast friends and decide that their KLRs are far superior to any Yamahas. And that they are better riders and of course much better looking than the rest of us.

ElleDubs is smart enough to find shade and sit down. The guys lamely follow her lead and at least find shade. Still warm in the sun, but we are up to 6000 ft elevation so very pleasant riding.

Up another fun set of hills and turns and we are at the ridge line near Lost Peak.

Some hiking and Mountain bike trails in the area. Way to brutal for our lame asses for anyone but ElleDubs. She seems happy enough to be on the moto today since it is her birthday and she doesn't want to work too hard.

More riding. And at the shoreline of Upper Enterprise Reservoir. I think there were some "salute" pics from here. Shout out to you, Samthg. DirtyJohnny also.

Bikes only. Get the FFs out of there. Wrecks up an otherwise good pic.

We all take time to admire Miki's KLR toolbox again.

Lunch at Marv's in Enterprise. Hey, it's part of every decent ADV ride, unless you're going where there are no food options. Miki leaves us after lunch. Nice riding with you again, Miki. Until next time. As always, keep the rubber side down!

After lunch and after some fast dirt over to Pinto. SimbaBoy is in his element. On a serious note, that Zombie KLR was flying. Pretty soon SimbaBoy might quit his day job as some kind of a doc that doesn't see patients and start up a second career as a motocross rider.

StG and ElleDubs arrive, both in perfect form.

We find the Pinto Cemetery.

Gravestone. The dates correspond with all the early settlements of southern Utah.

Say it isn't so. SimbaBoy busts out the duct tape for quick roadside repair. Of course, I bust out my camera. This is just too good to be true.

I'm sure StG and ElleDubs appreciate the humor here. They're just too kind to stick their cameras in front of the mighty KLR in its moment of weakness.

Chasing behind ElleDubs as we ride south on dirt from Pinto to Pine Valley.

Self pic with SimbaBoy on my tail. I guess the duct tape must have worked because his bike was moving along fine.

Stop. Typical road and scenery.

The birthday girl. We hit pavement just before Pine Valley. Time for ElleDubs to make a fast exit to St. George. Best birthday wishes to ElleDubs from all of us inmates. Kind of a mini-tradition developing. Third time in the last year someone went for an ADVride with RRR plus inmates on their B-day. Any other upcoming B-days which warrant a ride?

Last pic of ElleDubs, RRR, and StG, graciously taken by SimbaBoy.

Three of us head over to Pine Valley town to do a little sightseeing at the old Mormon church.

Chapel was built by Ebenezer Bryce, same Bryce for which Bryce Canyon was named. At least this is what we learned on our little informal tour.

Inside the chapel. StG and SimbaBoy are considering converting. I'm busy taking pics and admiring the architecture. At some point SimbaBoy remembers the 10% tithing obligation and decides to plug his ear. Now he thinks he'd rather save his money for KLR repairs and eventually more motorbikes. Note to lurker types: This is joke. Please don't send me any nasty PMs. When you live in Utardia you have to make a few jokes about this stuff. Like the "favorite wife" stuff.

Looking at the roof support structure of the chapel. The large room directly below this has no beam supports and a gently curved ceiling. Very elegant engineering, especially for 150+ years ago with very limited tools.

More riding. Drinks in Veyo (thanks, StG). Pavement to Diamond Valley. From the backside of Diamond Valley we take dirt/rocks to Black Gulch, #033 on Benchmark. SimbaBoy is happy with another day of Utah vacation riding. Soon his real life will start back up again in Michigan. Not a bad amount of Utah riding this summer for a guy who lives 1000 miles away. Way to go, SimbaBoy and family!

And StG. Hopefully this guy can get free for some more rides also.

On the final descent to St. George there is some bike swapping going on. SimbaBoy's white helmet on StG's WRR.

Following the guys down to St. George. Very nice ride. 'Till next time. Stay safe out there.

Thanks to SimbaBoy, StG, ElleDubs, and Miki. And to all other inmates with the positive comments. See you around.

RedRockRider screwed with this post 09-11-2013 at 10:11 PM
Old 08-20-2013, 11:59 PM   #740
holiday
DL650K7

Oddometer: 88
[QUOTE=RedRockRider;22136925]Hey Holiday, I was in the Narrows this weekend also. Top down overnight hike with my dad.

I know you. I recognize your Dad's yellow shirt. We hiked together for some distance. You and your Dad, with the knee replacements. I commented (out loud) on how much faster he was than we were.
Your Dad is a trooper and you were very patient. It was a pleasure. Kind of a turtles race to the trail head.
You look thinner in person

Perhaps one day, when I've acquired the skills, we'll meet in some of the more technical areas around Zion.
holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:27 AM   #741
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,725
Hey gang.

RRR, thank you for the shout-out. I'm sorry I missed it.

Let me send a happy birthday wish to ElleDubs.

SimbaBoy has a new helmet, he must have "wore out" the other one, eh?

RRR is turning out to be a very accommodating birthday host!

Fall is coming, see ya'll soon.

Sam
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #742
ringokelly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
looks great!!

Wow looks like a great ride, sorry I missed it. Some of us have to work

With fall coming its perfect riding time, so keep us posted on future rides. I am happy to bring my KLX to add some class to that group of Yamaha's
ringokelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #743
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
Nice ride RRR. You're becoming quite the tour guide and seem to be making new riding friends! Love the humor...and the bumble bee colored KLR. A guy on the TW forum did the same colors, but not with the Zombie them. Thanks for sharing!

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #744
Tee2
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer: 1,231
I love this thread. I really need to move to St George area.

Anyone have a line on a job?

Todd

Tee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #745
ElleDubs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
RRR thx again for organizing the ride. Perfect way to spend a chunk of my birthday. Very nice to meet some local inmates, Miki, Simbaboy and StG. Thanks for lunch too. I couldn't manage the milkshake as I had to save myself for cake later - next time.

The glam shot at Enterprise reservoir. This is the first glam shot my XT225 has posed for where it hasn't been the smallest bike! We so belonged
IMG_5154

The "other" glam shot
IMG_5151-001

RRR coveting Miki's toolbox
IMG_5146

My birthday cake
IMG_5159

Good times. I'll be back out for another ride.
ElleDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #746
simbaboy
Lansing MBS

Oddometer: 756
Hello Friends

RRR---THANKS. YOU ARE A GREAT HOST. I HAD A GREAT TIME!

Hello Friends,
All I can say is thank you for another memorable ride.
SamThg, we missed you.
(For your next birthday how about a day trip to The Grand Canyon, North Rim via St. George dirt road? I am already planning next Spring Break just before your birthday)
Simba

I was told by these fellow riders that I could ask this question here after I post these pictures: what do the initials FF that I see here frequently mean?

RRR with the fat a_ _ (I mean tire)

simbaboy screwed with this post 08-21-2013 at 10:10 PM
simbaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:29 AM   #747
StG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
R3, thanks for another great ride! Got a little bit of everything on this tour - granite pinnacles, reservoirs, old churches, cemeteries, small one-horse towns, & some volcanoes too. Simba, hope you have a safe trip home.

Elledubs, nice cake! Do me a favor & save those candles for me. I'm gonna need them in about 2 months.

StG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #748
ElleDubs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by StG View Post

Elledubs, nice cake! Do me a favor & save those candles for me. I'm gonna need them in about 2 months.
We should do a bday ride for you too then StG!
ElleDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #749
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Mark your calendars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleDubs View Post
We should do a bday ride for you too then StG!
B-day ride for StG on or about Monday, Oct 21st. Dual sport. Route and exact day TBD, but StG's B-day is Oct 21st. Open invite to all inmates. If StG can't make it, we ride without him.

SimbaBoy, ElleDubs, StG, and Miki - great ride! And thanks for adding the pics. See you.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #750
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,725
in.
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote