in.
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #752
simbaboy
Lansing MBS

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
B-day ride for StG on or about Monday, Oct 21st. Dual sport. Route and exact day TBD, but StG's B-day is Oct 21st. Open invite to all inmates. If StG can't make it, we ride without him.

SimbaBoy, ElleDubs, StG, and Miki - great ride! And thanks for adding the pics. See you.
Ouch, Ouch, Ouch!
I am hurting bad since I won't be able to join.
I just ordered some new progressive front suspension springs and fork brace for the Zombie bike. Next year I may be able to keep up with you guys and gal.
I have to get all of you including SamThg out to Moab April 2014.
Simba

RRR wondering if he can quickly attach this to his bike and ride around the world.
simbaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #753
ringokelly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Rain?

RRR...how's the rain down there? Heard it has been wicked....should make for some nice riding conditions once it stops! Wish I were there.
ringokelly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #754
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,350
Only gentle rain at my place on the west side of St. George for the last few days. Currently, overcast with soft rain. I think Zion area received LOTS of rain. Canyons were closed. Big spike in the flow rate of the Virgin River. Planning to do a Zion Canyon later this week. Should be a bit wetter than usual.

Haven't been out on a bike for a few days. Family time. Conditions for Labor Day weekend should be fantastic. I'll be at Brian Head most of the long weekend.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976

RedRockRider screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 03:15 PM
RedRockRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #755
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Storm Chasin'

Sunny skies returned to St. George for most of the day. Got out on the Versys for a late afternoon ride. Ended up going over the Utah Hill down Old Highway 91 to Beaver Dam. Some great twisties and also a few open stretches. Almost perfect for the Versys.

Stopped to grab this photo marking Beaver Dam.

Fairly serious weather rolling in around Mount Bangs. Started to feel some serious wind blasts. Time to roll.

After retreating back up Old 91 a bit, stopped for this pic. Dirt road is the "back entrance" to the Joshua Tree Scenic Backway.

Raced back up over the top to blue sky on the Utah side.

In the sunshine looking back at dark clouds now hanging over the summit of the Utah Hill. Good timing on this one. Not a drop of rain. Just close enough to feel some good wind blasts. Great motivation to let the V run through a few curves.

Thanks for checkin' in. Ride safe, ride often!

Old 08-29-2013, 10:39 PM   #756
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Spry Canyon, Zion National Park

Lots of recent rain in Zion made Spry a bit wetter than normal. Also lots of soft sand, almost like quicksand. Four guys through in about 7 hours. Mandatory meal at Oscars in Springdale afterwards, no pics. But here are a few of our adventures in the canyon.

My KLR buddy Eddie contemplating how to avoid the water.

His brother from AZ commits to the leap. Have fun with the quicksand landing.

Rappelling into pools and sand.

Saturated sand. A few spots almost liquify under pressure.

Inmates might recognize StG. Equally at home on his WRR or on the end of a rope. Good man to have in a canyon!

The glamour shot as StG drops into the abyss.

Setting up for the last 100 ft. rappel. Switchbacks leading up to the Zion tunnel visible in background.

StG hanging in space.

Everyone dawdles while StG does all the work.

Down safely. Great day. Gracias, amigos. 'Till next time.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:06 AM   #757
ttr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Great rides and pics! Best US locations!
Old 08-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #758
StG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
R3 is now offering guided canyon tours as well as MC rides. Thanks for letting me tag along.

R3 on the 1st rap.

Fireman belays for everyone

Just hanging out...

The hole Pat's over here had just swallowed Eddie & must be at least 8 ft deep.

R3 about to step off the edge on the last rap.
StG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #759
bomose
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,120
Just wondering. Do you have to worry about snakes down in the canyons?Or do they prefer the sands above? Looks like a good area for them.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #760
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

I've never seen a snake actually in a slot-type canyon in Zion, but have seen rattlesnakes several times on trails or open country (approaches and exits) to canyons in/around Zion. Wife and I saw a big rattlesnake on the exit from Subway a month ago.

However, this canyon (Spry) was closed by park rangers earlier this summer because there was a mountain lion feeding on a fresh deer kill just above the take-off point for the last rappel. Canyon is still very narrow and rugged at this point. Not a lot of good options if you come around a corner and see mama cat and her babies feasting on a recent kill. We did see a bunch of turkey vultures circling overhead yesterday, perhaps an ominous warning.

Also lots of dead animals end up in the slot canyons. In heavy rains everything washes down until it gets stuck. Makes for some sweet smelling swims, especially after the water and dead animal have a chance to stagnate for a few weeks. Eventually everything decomposes and gets flushed out. The slot canyons really are amazing places.

My guess is that the snakes prefer the more open terrain where there are lots of little critters. Near the watercourse, but not actually in the slot. Plus there isn't very much sun down in there and it can be cold, even on the hottest days of summer.

RedRockRider screwed with this post 08-30-2013 at 04:13 PM
Old 08-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #761
ElleDubs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
I saw a rattlesnake in Heaps canyon in Zion. It was sitting in a V shaped pour over between 2 pools that we had to climb up and over. No alternate route was available at that point. It was very much alive and pissed as it must have fallen in from above. There was drama and there is a story but that's one for a ride day ;-)
Old 09-02-2013, 11:51 PM   #762
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hope everyone had a nice Labor Day weekend.

ElleDubs - can't wait to hear about Heaps and the rattlesnake. Offering guided tours through Heaps?

Thanks for the pics, StG. Yeah, a moto / Yankee Doodle canyon combo!!! We could all just ride with our canyoneering helmets on, it's Utah!

Spent the weekend at Brian Head. Did make a side trip to Bryce. A few pics:

A few clouds start to roll in.

The sky darkens.

We stop the hike and use the shuttle bus to retrieve the car just before the rain.

Flash flood in Red Canyon later in the afternoon. Closed the road into the campground.

Also saw the leading edge of a flash flood in Snow Canyon on Monday evening. Was probably a pretty interesting weekend in some of the Zion Canyons.

Thanks for checkin in.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #763
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,543
Nice pics as usual!
A friend sent a link to a stream guage on the Virgin River for the 26th? Must have been a wild day.
Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #764
Superhawk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Awesome shots - I just got back from a trip to Bryce Canyon last week - I though Zion was much better but it was still awe inspiring and a worthwhile trip !

Heading Down Navaho Loop Trail

Superhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #765
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Zion Narrows with Family in Flash Flood Conditions

Quite a bit of rain in Southern Utah recently. Not that many clear days for moto riding. But, had a permit for the Narrows overnight trip, only 30% chance of rain so decided to go. Family trip with wife, son, and Dad. Great time in spite of some rain.

Here's my wife on day 1 (Saturday) in the Upper Narrows. Getting wet early!

My son, age 12. First time through from top to bottom. He thinks it's cool that he can touch both walls with his poles.

Dad picking his route over a log jam.

We stayed at campsite #3 in the Upper Narrows, relatively high up. It rained steadily from 8 pm to about midnight. We buried ourselves in the tent and listened to the water rising. Actually Dad and I were under a tarp , while wife and son were snuggled warm and dry in the tent.

River flow probably went from 60 cfs to 400 cfs, enough to close the Narrows, but we were already in.

Next morning the rain had stopped and the river had receded from its high water mark so we broke camp and started downstream.

Yours truly at Big Springs. Virgin River was completely murky. Zero visibility. Couldn't tell water depth at all. We had a good rest and decided to continue down and out since the water level was holding steady. We marked the shoreline with a series of rocks to measure before and after our break.

Dad in one of the deeper sections. We had the entire canyon to ourselves. Very unusual. Didn't see anyone else until well below Orderville junction. Weather was holding, a few moments of blue sky but mostly overcast with a light rain. We motored through the section of canyon with little high ground. We knew there was a chance we might end up spending a second night if the river flow increased substantially. We had enough food and dry clothes so it wouldn't have been dangerous as long as we had high ground, just inconvenient.

My son and wife were both awesome. Here he is leading her across a turbulent section.

Dad enjoying the solitude. And the family comradery!

Family pic. Check out that Oreo cookie smile!

Wife and son leading out down another section of murky brown water. Great adventuresome spirit!

Water flows were receding a bit by later afternoon. Here is the confluence of Orderville Canyon with the Virgin River. My son thought the different colors of mud/water were cool. We knew we were going to make it out by this time, and the territory was familiar because we have all been up to this point from the bottom many times.

Smiling as we work out way down.

Wife was especially happy that she wasn't going to be sleeping in the tent (in the rain) a second night. But if we did get stuck she would have been the one to be with. Worth a million. She's the best.

More family snack time. Important to keep our energy up. We saw the first few people coming up canyon at about this time so we figured the park rangers had opened the trail.

Dad happy to get his snack time in also. Second time through the Narrows for Dad this summer. Not bad for 75 years young. Thanks to Mom also for driving us up the North Fork road (through a few mudholes) to start the hike.

Goofin' off family pic at the base of Mystery Falls looking up.

Sign at the Temple of Sinawava. End of the trail where you get on the shuttle bus to go down to the Visitor Center. Overall a great trip. Thanks to wife, son, and Dad for being such a great team.

Stay safe out there if you are venturing into slot canyons. Lots of rain in Southern Utah. I'm sure a lot of the dirt roads in the area are pretty ripped up also. As always thanks for checking in. Appreciate all the positive comments and PMs.

RedRockRider screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 05:59 PM