User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #766
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,484
Nice pics!
I'm sitting in Cafe Rio watching the rain come down.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #767
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,800
Great photos of the Narrows RRR!! Gotta love Zion!! We rode through some of your part of Utah last summer and were amazed at the beauty.

BTW...where is this photo from on the first page of your thread?

It looks like maybe a pass summit and if so I was wondering if you knew the name and location?

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #768
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,258
Thanks, NMTrailboss

Sign is an unnamed pass just south of Upper Enterprise Reservoir on the Goldstrike or Veyo Shoal Creek Road (both names). Road runs from just west of Veyo to Upper Enterprise Reservoir. Excellent riding in this area.

Here's a the Benchmark Map. The pass is is where 006 (Goldstike or Veyo Shoal Creek Rd) crosses Maple Ridge. There are several passes on this road. This one is the highest. Prone to mud (if wet), and will hold snow on north slopes in winter.

The original sign you referenced was knocked down a year or two ago. Here's the replacement. This pic was taken on a ride on 10/10/12. Post #436 on the top of page 30 in this thread. Great fall colors.

Post #56 on page 4 also went over the pass. Two bikes at the "original" sign.

A recent inmate ride, 8/20/13, Post #741 on page 50 also went through this area. Here is a pic where you leave pavement at the start (southern end) of the Goldstrike/Veyo Shoal Creek Road. This is just west of Veyo at the bottom of the big hill.

The Goldstrike/Veyo Shoal Creek Road is maintained dirt/gravel. It has a few steeper spots and is prone to sticky mud if wet. But in good conditions you could probably take a smaller road bike through. I haven't done it on my Versys, but it's not out of the question. Certainly an easy ride on any dual sport. Lots of excellent exploring to do, particularly around the Pinnacles. Good camping at Upper Enterprise Reservoir. Lots of territory that connects through to Motoqua and eventually towards Caliente, NV. One of my favorite riding areas.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #769
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
Sign is an unnamed pass just south of Upper Enterprise Reservoir on the Goldstrike or Veyo Shoal Creek Road (both names). Road runs from just west of Veyo to Upper Enterprise Reservoir. Excellent riding in this area.
Thank you so much for the information!

Myself and a few others have been researching all the named and unnamed passes in the four corner states and attempting to ride as many of them as possible. I had never seen that sign before so hence my inquiry. I'd be interested in any more named or unnamed passes you come across in the area as well to see if we've documented them or not. Already got Bulldog, Hell Hole and Utah Hill Summit on the list but haven't ridden them yet...will add this one as well...sign on the summit is a bonus!

Could be called 'Enterprise Divide'?

NMTrailboss screwed with this post 09-10-2013 at 05:48 PM
NMTrailboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #770
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Gunlock Reservoir on Vulcan

Rain finally slacked off today. And the cleaning ladies were coming, so it was time to get out of the house.

Took a quick spin out to Gunlock Reservoir on the Vulcan. Always interesting to see water levels in the Santa Clara River after heavy rain, and the road has some curves.

Meandered through a few neighborhoods in Ivins as I was leaving town. New construction is ramping up. Lots of activity.

Cool cloud effect. Big red cliffs behind Kayenta.

A tiny bit of sun came out when I was near the Ivins Reservoir. Notice the homemade raft . . .

I think my nephew and his buddies may have made this. They spent a lot of time here, mostly launching their BMX bikes off a ramp for a water landing. Perhaps this was the judging station. Those blue drums look very similar to the kind at Fabulous Freddie's carwash where a few of his buddies had summer jobs . . . Teenagers.

These guys all came up to say hello when I stopped. Very friendly. Undoubtedly looking for treats.

Since I'm on the big white bike, gotta take a pic of the big white horse.

Gunlock Reservoir. Clouds were clearing. By late afternoon we had sunshine and clear blue skies. Reservoir is quite full but not at capacity.

Santa Clara River flowing into Gunlock Reservoir.

Nice curves. Almost no traffic. Some elevation changes. Good surface.

Rode a couple of sections of the road twice. Very nice to be out on the bike. One more pic near the shoreline.

Since I had the pics of the horses, thought I should stop and get a pic next to the fancy cow.

Thanks for checkin' in. Ride safe, ride often.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #771
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
This is a really cool picture. Love the low clouds

Mule. Easiest way to tell the difference...generally mules are uglier (or the bigger ears)

While out on wagon rides with my father-in-law, many folks comment on our nice looking "horse" team. Really they're mules!

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #772
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:

Wow!
and they say dirt bikers are crazy...

nice to see you and your family having fun!

LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #773
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Weekend Motosports and Canyons

Hi everyone Thanks for the positive comments and PMs.

Big weekend (Fri - Mon) of ATV/moto riding at Brian Head and a few canyons. Wife and I took son and three friends to Brian Head for some ATV riding. Here's the group shot at the High Mountain Meadow with Cedar Breaks in the background. My wife is in the light blue jacket in the back -- quite the pose!

Ran into our local flock of sheep, 1300 in all. Sheepherder said they recently lost a few to mountain lions. Also one sheep only had 3 legs, lost one as a lamb to a coyote. Hey Samthg and SimbaBoy -- you out there? I think some of these sheep may have been looking for you.

Cleaning up my bike and the ATVs while the kids are all inside having lunch. Wife is sweetheart for organizing all the food!

On Sunday afternoon we take a group of BoyScouts on a hike up Kanarraville Canyon. No ropes, but you go up a couple of cool ladders. Boys won't hold still for their photos, but wife likes to smile for the camera. Lots of water from recent rains. The first ladder (shown) is in good shape, but the second one is broken again. Wet climb through the waterfall.

Monday - just got back from Water Canyon near Hildale, UT. Hildale is ground zero for polygamy in Utah, but that's another story. Had the good fortune to go through the canyon with these three characters. Inmates might recognize StG in the middle and my frequent moto/canyon buddy Eddie in the red. Guy on the left is from NYC and was terribly lost.

Water Canyon has about 10 rappels and at least three or four swims. Here's Eddie dropping down about 100 ft through a dark slot. Disconnect on a small shelf, then swim 10 feet through a cold trench. Work your way out to a sandy trail, retrieve the car, and go find food. Nice doing the canyon with you guys. See you around.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:22 AM   #774
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,579
Some things should be kept to ourselves.

sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #775
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hell Hole Pass

Here's inmate StG on a wet rappel up high in Englestead Canyon in Zion. Canyon starts with a 300 ft drop, straight in. This drop was just over 100 ft. Very little light. Exit is down Orderville and eventually out the Narrows.

Had time for a Saturday evening moto ride. Out the west side of town toward the Utah Hill. Here's the TW on the top of Hell Hole Pass. Lots of erosion from recent rains.

The cattle gate is right at the top. But, there is a huge walk around. View is looking back down on the St. George Valley. Lots of the red rock in the distance is the area above Sand Hollow Reservoir. Zion is faintly visible below the clouds on the left.

From high on West Mountain Peak looking down on Jarvis Peak in late afternoon light. Big views.

Saw this guy offering up the ADV salute.

Mirror shot.

Down to Indian Springs Tank just before sunset. Indian Canyon was roughed up, but passable. Don't expect repairs anytime soon. Not a high priority road.

It was dark, about 8:30 pm, by the time I was back to the west side of St. George. Selfie pic taken at the roadside just before the return of lights. Good ride, about 65 miles.

On Sunday my son and his buddy are having fun dual rappelling on the big red rocks in Pioneer Park. This is near the "Dixie" written above town. Fun family time followed up with frozen yogurt.

Thanks for checkin' in. Ride safely out there.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #776
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Open Invite, Dual Sport Ride, Wednesday, Oct 2nd, 10 am

Wednesday, Oct 2nd, 10 am.

Meet at my house. Shadow Point Drive (on the west side of St. George near Sunset and Valley View). PM me for the exact address, or you can just drive up and down the street looking for motorbikes on the driveway . . .

We'll head towards Nevada on dirt. Perhaps we'll make it to Caliente for a late lunch. Lots of variations possible. We'll determine a route based on who shows. Should be big dual sport bike friendly, but there have been heavy rains recently so wash-outs are possible. Reroute or backtrack is always an option. Good to have 120 mile tank range. Bring water and food in case Caliente is a "no go." Not much else out west of St. George, except good riding.

Weather forecast looks great. Hope a few of your FFs can make it.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #777
StG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:

Your son looks like he's ready for das boot/subway. Maybe a (cough) sick day is in his near future...
StG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #778
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

6 riders "in" so far. Don't forget to PM for address, otherwise you'll have to search the street . . .

Quote:

Meet at my house. Shadow Point Drive (on the west side of St. George near Sunset and Valley View). PM me for the exact address, or you can just drive up and down the street looking for motorbikes on the driveway . . .

We'll head towards Nevada on dirt. Perhaps we'll make it to Caliente for a late lunch. Lots of variations possible. We'll determine a route based on who shows. Should be big dual sport bike friendly, but there have been heavy rains recently so wash-outs are possible. Reroute or backtrack is always an option. Good to have 120 mile tank range. Bring water and food in case Caliente is a "no go." Not much else out west of St. George, except good riding.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #779
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
I just might be biased, but it's a cool picture!

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #780
fly2hi96
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:

How much high speed pavement riding will there be? The DRZ is currently geared for offroad and doesn't appreciate cruising at 60+.

Dave
fly2hi96 is offline   Reply With Quote