Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #781
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Very little asphalt time. Perhaps 20 miles to top of Utah Hill, then dirt. Two good off-pavement roads are the Motoqua Road and Eardley Road, both highlighted on this map. Ride Report in Post #120 towards bottom of Page 8. Other good Ride Reports are: Caliente, Post #283, #284 and Indian Springs Trail, Post #144.

I'll be on my TW200 (WRR is at Brian Head). Top cruising speed perhaps 60 mph. More comfortable at 50-55. About 6 riders "in" -- most on 250 dual sports. I think the big boy is a KLR650. Your DRZ will be fine.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #782
ElleDubs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
I'm a very probably maybe for this. On the XT225.
ElleDubs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #783
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Inmate Ride, Wed, Oct 2nd, 10 am

So far, we are definitely, probably, maybe 7 riders:

RedRockRider - TW200
ringokelly - KLX250
Lurker Eddie - KLR650
StG - WR250
DRZ RIDER - DRZ400
fly2hi96 - DRZ400
ElleDubs - XT225

Actually, most everyone looks good and has confirmed. More welcome. PM for my address.

I did recon rides on Friday and Saturday afternoons. On Friday I did the loop above, 100 miles. No washouts. On Saturday I did a larger loop to Caliente and back, also no washouts. Only slowed down for a few pics:

Friday ride, near Motoqua. The water crossing at Beaver Dam Wash is easy, no major flooding occurred.

On the "Nevada" side of Beaver Dam Wash, looking back at Utah.

On Saturday ride I continued over Bunker Pass towards Barclay.

Stopped at the church/schoolhouse. Lots of pics in Post #325 on page 22.

Train came barreling through while I was poking around "downtown" Barclay.

Followed Barnes Canyon down to Caliente for gas. Choose to come home via Nevada #317 past Elgin Schoolhouse and down Meadow Valley. Dark riding, but good roads, only minor erosion. Final pic at crest of Rainbow Pass. Going across the patch of Tule Desert with Joshua Trees at night was cool. Very weird shapes. Dark, dark, dark! Lovely wife had hot chicken soup ready for me when I got home!

On Wednesday we can sort out a few loop variations, possibly using Indian Springs Road, Hellhole Pass, and/or Bulldog Pass and all the high 2-track above the Virgin River Gorge. May end up in Bloomington. We can organize the ride so we stay together as a group, just create shorter / longer loops to match schedules.

Thanks for checking in. Look forward to see as many of you peeps as possible.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #784
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

10 am, Wednesday

Looking good. Expecting 8 riders. Bring some food. We may or may not get to Caliente. Easy to organize variations to get everyone back to St. George "on time." For some, that's ~4 pm. For others it's midnight.

120 mile tank range useful. I'll carry a bit of extra gas. Very little asphalt time. Mostly "smoothish" dirt. A few erosion spots, nothing epic. Elevations as high as 6,000 ft. Bring jacket and some layers. It is colder than just putting around St. George. No cell coverage once we leave St. George. Say bye-bye to the spouse and work . . .

A few canyon pics to entertain you. Wife and son at the first rappel in Keyhole Canyon in Zion on Sunday afternoon.

My son is excited. He wants to drop in first. Very important for him to be able to help mommy with the "water landing." Don't want her to "freak out" or anything.

Down a few more potholes we are in the dark, wet part of the canyon. Looking up as my son starts on rappel.

The three of us emerging from the "slanted hallway" -- a nice long swim through a 3 ft wide corridor. My son is sporting the "ninja" look. Wife is awesome! She says, "What's the next canyon? Hardest part of this deal was putting on and taking off the wetsuit." Sorry no pics.

Entrance and exit to Keyhole Canyon is 2 miles east of smaller tunnel in Zion. If you see people in "frog suits" by the side of the road, this is probably where they've been. Excellent intro to cold, wet, slot canyons in Zion.

On Monday was lucky enough to get my canyoneering buddies together to do the "Das Boot" entrance to the Subway. This is the cold, dark, wet approach, upstream from the normal start to the Subway. Continue down the normal Subway route, then climb out to the car.

Our crew: "Lurker KLR Eddie" "NYC Sal" "Slacker StG" I saw these guys change into their wetsuits also, but mercifully, no pics of that either.

"Das Boot" is immediately cold, dark, and deep. I have a great idea. Send Eddie first. He can find all the sudden drop-offs . . .

StG has canyon skills. Gracefully easing onto the rope from the logjam.

Waiting down below. StG enjoys watching as the others castrate themselves getting started on rappel.

Sal on the final rap of the "Das Boot" section. Just above the normal start of the Subway. Wonder how deep that water is . . .

It's a swimmer. Beautiful scenery in the Das Boot section of the canyon, and very, very few people. It's a full wetsuit deal year round. Cuts down substantially on the tourists.

Our crew, near the first rappel in the normal Subway route. Couple of groups in here with no ropes and no clue. A bit entertaining to see how they approach some of the drops. "Hey, the log bridge is gone. We can't get to the other side. What do you think we should do . . . "

Enjoying the sandy watercourse in the heart of the Subway. We eeked just in front of the crowd to enjoy a few moments alone.

RRR - in the waterfall room.

Thanks for checking in everyone. 160,000 views, 2 years of posting.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #785
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,465
Nice pics, thanks
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #786
ElleDubs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
So far, we are definitely, probably, maybe 7 riders:

RedRockRider - TW200
ringokelly - KLX250
Lurker Eddie - KLR650
StG - WR250
DRZ RIDER - DRZ400
fly2hi96 - DRZ400
ElleDubs - XT225
I'm not going to make it. Have a great day out there. I look forward to the ride report and pics.
ElleDubs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #787
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

We'll miss you ElleDubs. 'Till next time.

But, we are still 7 riders. Picked up DirtyJohnny. Overall, this is probably a downgrade . . . oil field trash . . . but, hey . . . all inmates welcome. Wonder what bike DirtyJohnny will show up on . . .

Old 10-01-2013, 11:16 PM   #788
socalrc31
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Wish I'd seen this a few days earlier... Was planning on visiting family in St George this weekend - riding from So Cal on my trusty Transalp... Could have left a few days earlier to meet up.

Enjoy the ride!
socalrc31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #789
DirtyJohnny
BR 549

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
We'll miss you ElleDubs. 'Till next time.

But, we are still 7 riders. Picked up DirtyJohnny. Overall, this is probably a downgrade . . . oil field trash . . . but, hey . . . all inmates welcome. Wonder what bike DirtyJohnny will show up on . . .
You shouldn't have told them. Probably just DJ and RRR now!
DirtyJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:06 PM   #790
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Inmate Ride to Caliente, NV

Great ride, about 200 miles, mostly on fast dirt. The guys were nice enough to meet at my house, so now, I can't post any overnight rides in advance. Since they know where I live, they may steal my crap or skinny dip in my pool.

Here's the map. Figure it would be a good idea for this RR because at least some of the inmates had no idea where they were going . . . just following dirt roads across the desert . . . at least we all had the good sense to wait at the intersections . . . didn't have to go searching for anyone.

Basic route:
- Leave St. George via Santa Clara heading west on pavement.
- Start up Utah Hill on Old 91. Turn right on dirt onto the Motoqua Road. Meet friendly old guys in truck.
- Fast dirt / gravel to Motoqua. Check out polygamist building styles . . .
- Cross Beaver Dam Wash, climb Bunker Pass. Good riders do optional hill climb.
- Continue northwest on dirt. Scenic. Check out Mathews Reservoir and old store.
- Barclay. One-room schoolhouse / church and train crossing.
- Barnes Canyon. Good riding on the descent to Caliente.
- Train tracks, tunnel, and water.
- Caliente. Gas, food. One rider opts for fast pavement via Panaca and Enterprise back to St. George. All good. He's home, about 1 hour before us.
- Leave Caliente heading south on paved Nevada #317. Supermoto time!
- Elgin Schoolhouse. Check for the Carp / Elgin exit on I-15 next time your driving to Las Vegas.
- South through Meadow Valley along train tracks. Scenic Canyon.
- Turn left at Lyman Crossing, up Rainbow Pass Road.
- Pics at sign entering Snow Valley Road and Tule Desert.
- Fast dirt, some curves through the Joshua trees.
- Cross back into Utah just before descending into Beaver Dam Wash at Lytle Ranch.
- More fast dirt on the Eardley Road back to Old Highway 91 (paved) on the backside of the Utah Hill.
- Up and over, then back down to home.

On to the pics. Spacing out on the Motoqua road to avoid dust.

Quick stop. Making sure our group is staying together. A couple of good riding options in this area.

We're going to Motoqua. The right turn goes to "Goldstrike" and several routes to Enterprise Reservoir.

No pics of our brief exploration of Motoqua. Didn't want to get shot at. Top of the rise, just after climbing out of Beaver Dam Wash.

Our bikes. Fly2hi96's "new-to-him" DRZ 400. Very sporty. The sweet V-Strom is sold, apparently to an Aussie.

My buddy, Eddie, with his KLR. Accessorized with a milk crate in the best KLR tradition.

Ringokelly's KLX 250. Impressive hill climbing bike . . . oh, probably that's the rider!

DRZ 400's capable machine. Great to have Utards from "up north" join for a ride! Much longer riding season down south . . . come on down!

StG's WRR. Bad-ass moto skills to match his bad-ass canyon skills. Too bad he can't get more time off to play.

DirtyJohnny brought his son along (age 24). DirtyJohnny Jr., the good looking one in the family with the mad riding skills. Think this might be Dad's bike. DirtyJohnny Jr. was considerate . . . didn't want to put any wear on the front tire so kept it in the air for big chunks of the day. On the down side, not sure that stock seat is made for 200 mile days.

TW200. Had to keep tucked in for a few of the faster sections. For a low tech, underpowered, no suspension bike . . . this bike gets it done. More fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slowly . . .

DirtyJohnny's big orange beast.

Action photo of DirtyJohnny.

There he goes.

Yellow flower pic for ElleDubs. Look forward to catching you next time.

Friendly wave from KLR Eddie, my lurker friend. Not tuned in to the proper inmate salute . . .

DirtyJohnny offers a friendly challenge . . . KTM beast vs. TW200 . . . race to the top of the hill . . . I might consider that challenge if the wager is all my bikes vs. all of DJ's bikes . . .

Crossing into Nevada. This is really a great ride. Incredible scenery, open roads, no people, and very close to St. George.

A few of the sane guys look on as a couple of the others get busy with the optional hill climbs.

Four bikes go up on top. As always, it's steeper and looser than it looks. Nice job guys.

The happy climbers return.

Success.

And more success for team orange.

Break time. Someone may or may not have dropped a jacket. Worth going back for. Luckily an easy find.

We make a short detour to Mathews Reservoir.

This older sign has some character.

DRZ 400 pulls in for the turn.

Making sure everyone stays together. For a group of 8 riders we did a good job spacing out to avoid dust, but keeping track of the "guy behind you." We collected everyone at the key turns to make sure no ended up trying to find a back route to Mesquite.

StG comes around the corner. Hey . . . is that the inmate salute . . . two-handed no less . . . didn't notice this until looking at the pics at home. Payback coming.

More guys arriving.

Checked out the dam. More interesting was an abandoned building just downstream from the dam. Bikes in the shade in front of the building.

Old building. Had a sign indicating it was once a store. Probably a very interesting history.

More good riding and the bikes are in front of the one-room schoolhouse in Barclay, NV.

Checking out the historical marker. Unfortunately, this school is kept locked. Not allowed to poke around inside like the Mount Trumbull School House.

History. Last used as a school in 1951. Restored in 2000.

Detailed glass above the door. There is a cool old cemetery several hundred yards behind the schoolhouse. Didn't have time today, but worth more exploring. A few pics in Post #325 on page 22.

Beautiful shadows and light. Fall colors starting to appear.

After some riding down Barnes Canyon we gather at the railroad crossing. Big train tunnel with access road nearby. One of our riders may or may not have cruised through the tunnel, against railroad policy and numerous "no trespassing" signs. If it happened, it could have been an honest mistake.

Food and gas in Caliente. Makes for a nice destination. Good road riding as well. The dual sport roads between St. Geroge and Caliente are some of my favorite rides. This loop is a "classic." Several other variations possible. All offer gorgeous scenery and remote riding. Lots of moto camping options as well. Any inmate interest in moto camping?

Food sign. We didn't go over to the Caliente Train Station, but it is worth checking out. Pics in Post #283 and #284 on page 19. Highly recommend poking around Caliente.

After some fun supermoto time on asphalt in Rainbow Canyon, we arrive at Elgin Schoolhouse. This is a Nevada state park that is closed.

Look for the Elgin exit on I-15 the next time your are driving south between Mesquite and Las Vegas.

Photo stop by the schoolhouse.

Back on fast dirt / gravel heading south along the Meadow Valley Wash. Good train spotting territory.

Abandoned ranch building and equipment.

This camera angle gets all the orange equipment in one pic.

Easy climb up out of Meadow Valley Wash towards Rainbow Pass and the Snow Valley Road.

Beautiful late afternoon light, interesting terrain, and everyone is staying together at the intersections.

Final pics of all the riders. KLR Eddie was pounding pavement back home, so he's out. Here's DirtyJohnny, Jr. Full head gear, but trust me. Must have gotten his good looks from Mrs. DirtyJohnny, only possible explanation.

Fly2hi96. Full gear!

Ringokelly. Happy to be out riding. Still smiling too much. Didn't eat enough dust yet.

StG. Happy not to be in a cold, wet, dark canyon. Out on the moto it's bright enough to wear sunglasses.

DRZ 400. A northern Utard, on a short vacation south. Glad you could join. Way to make the most of your time with a couple of good days of riding. Check out a SPOT for those longer solo adventures! Could save you from a very, very long walk, or wait, or worse.

DirtyJohnny. Always a pleasure. Keep in touch when you are in the St. George area. P.S. Glad you didn't run over that desert tortoise. The environmental police already have you on their special watch list.

Pic of RRR. Same sign as taken at night several days ago. From this point, it's more dirt back east to the Lytle Ranch crossing of Beaver Dam Wash, then out to pavement at Highway 91 on the backside of the Utah Hill.

Short stop in late afternoon light at the start/end of the Eardley Road where it intersects with Highway 91. Up over the hill and back home to St. George.

Final pic as I pulled back in to my neighborhood.

Good riding with you guys. Eight riders total, so that's seven "imaginary" friends to add to the list. Not bad, especially since we are starting to get a lot of repeat riders.

Highly recommend loops out towards Nevada. Give it a go if you can.

Thanks for riding along.

RedRockRider screwed with this post 10-03-2013 at 11:32 AM
Old 10-03-2013, 07:20 AM   #791
ringokelly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Good ride

Great riding with all you guys yesterday...lots of cool stuff on the Nevada side. Highlight of my last few weeks, for sure.

As for my continuing smile, RRR, that was from having a great time...and yes I did eat lots of dust. I had some cereal with the sand in my teeth this morning to prove it!

Lets do it again next month!
ringokelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #792
fly2hi96
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Hey guys,

I wanted to thank everyone on the ride for taking care of me after my launch over the bars and for all of the well wishes. I was admitted to the hospital last night for observation due to bruising around the lung but I'm about to get out of here. I have 5 broken ribs with fractures in the front and the back and a separated shoulder. The doctors were surprised that I was able to ride back into St. George and I'm convinced it was because of the support I received from everyone. I also appreciate everyone following me all the way back to my friends house which really made me feel good.

I'm already looking forward to the next ride.

Thanks
Dave
fly2hi96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #793
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2hi96 View Post
I was admitted to the hospital last night for observation due to bruising around the lung but I'm about to get out of here. I have 5 broken ribs with fractures in the front and the back and a separated shoulder.
Holy bejeez...

Best to you on the recovery.
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #794
DirtyJohnny
BR 549

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2hi96 View Post
Hey guys,

I wanted to thank everyone on the ride for taking care of me after my launch over the bars and for all of the well wishes. I was admitted to the hospital last night for observation due to bruising around the lung but I'm about to get out of here. I have 5 broken ribs with fractures in the front and the back and a separated shoulder. The doctors were surprised that I was able to ride back into St. George and I'm convinced it was because of the support I received from everyone. I also appreciate everyone following me all the way back to my friends house which really made me feel good.

I'm already looking forward to the next ride.

Thanks
Dave
Sorry about the mishap. Great ride until then. Get well soon!
DirtyJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #795
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,757
Awesome report and photos! Looks like a great riding area!!