Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #871
DirtyJohnny
BR 549

Oddometer: 114
Virgin River Wilderness

[IMG][/IMG]

Afterthought #2 (or could it be that I haven't learned how to post multiple pics?)
DirtyJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #872
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,207
175,000 views - thank you inmates

Best wishes to everyone for the Thanksgiving week. Enjoy some time with family and friends. We'll be going to Philadelphia to visit my wife's dad. Should be wet and cold for a few days, but then we'll be back in sunny southern Utah.

Thanks for all the comments, PMs, and star ratings. Recent inmate visitors:

Mr. Head, KICKNBACK, samthg, Dr. Z, G19Tony, tuna101, TheAdmiral, DCZ, wbbnm, skian g, racergirl1479, ringokelly, NSFW, 1stgear, Superhawk, Bob, simbaboy, lacofdfireman, StG, trevor2k, 413.45, notsofasteddie, DirtyJohnny, MTNClimber0331, UpST8, RideFreak, Brakelate, ckjj888, Ol Man, holiday, RockinTheRVA, ElleDubs, Louutah, Rut Runner, Tee2, ttr, bomose, NMTrailboss, LittleWan, fly2hi96, socalrc31, ringokelly, DRZ RIDER, quota, mefadv, SnakeBreak, ceramic-lackey, kojack06, Sourjon, WDG

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976

RedRockRider screwed with this post 11-24-2013 at 02:54 PM
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #873
simbaboy
Lansing MBS

Oddometer: 641
Congrats

It was your thread that got me riding in Utah.
Thank You and wishing you and yours a great, healthy, prosperous Holiday Season.
Simba

RRR and a few Buds. He is on the mighty TW with the fat tire. 'Stock" he once told me, thereby making me buy one too!
simbaboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #874
quota
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
We'll be going to Philadelphia to visit my wife's dad. Should be wet and cold for a few days, but then we'll be back in sunny southern Utah. e
Looks like I will miss riding with you again. Let me know if you are riding before you leave. Spent today doing bike maintenance. Will ride the next few days.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:22 PM   #875
Superhawk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Happy thanksgiving and have a safe trip !
Superhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:19 AM   #876
DirtyJohnny
BR 549

Oddometer: 114
RRR. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. Travel safe.
DirtyJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #877
idahoscout
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Question Planning a trip to St. George

I am planning a trip to St. George between Christmans and New Year's. Once we get there, we will be riding a KLR 650 2-up. I was hoping you could suggest some interesting day or part-day rides out of your portfolio that would be suitable for that time of year (considering elevation and snow etc). Thanks
idahoscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #878
simbaboy
Lansing MBS

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahoscout View Post
I am planning a trip to St. George between Christmans and New Year's. Once we get there, we will be riding a KLR 650 2-up. I was hoping you could suggest some interesting day or part-day rides out of your portfolio that would be suitable for that time of year (considering elevation and snow etc). Thanks
I am sure that RRR will give good advice.

A ride to Zion National Park is always a treat. Go through the Tunnel and back.
I have no idea re: road conditions in Dec/Jan so please take this suggestion with extreme caution and do a search before making any plans.

I don't even know if the NP is open.

Simba
simbaboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #879
idahoscout
Adventurer

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbaboy View Post
I am sure that RRR will give good advice.

A ride to Zion National Park is always a treat. Go through the Tunnel and back.
I have no idea re: road conditions in Dec/Jan so please take this suggestion with extreme caution and do a search before making any plans.

I don't even know if the NP is open.

Simba
Is there a unpaved way to Zion? I have done the road a few times in a cage and on a bicycle. I will be careful with conditions - just hoping for warmer weather than up hear in Idaho
Old 11-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #880
oldoval
Frank Orator

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Is there a unpaved way to Zion? I have done the road a few times in a cage and on a bicycle. I will be careful with conditions - just hoping for warmer weather than up hear in Idaho
There is the Kolob Reservior road that goes from HWY 14 out of Cedar City (right by my house) and comes out in Virgin. There is also another that goes from Navajo lake and comes out near the East entrance to Zion.

.......but you would need a snowmobile for either of these in Dec/Jan.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:16 AM   #881
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
Best wishes to everyone for the Thanksgiving week. Enjoy some time with family and friends. We'll be going to Philadelphia to visit my wife's dad. Should be wet and cold for a few days, but then we'll be back in sunny southern Utah.

Thanks for all the comments, PMs, and star ratings. Recent inmate visitors:

Mr. Head, KICKNBACK, samthg, Dr. Z, G19Tony, tuna101, TheAdmiral, DCZ, wbbnm, skian g, racergirl1479, ringokelly, NSFW, 1stgear, Superhawk, Bob, simbaboy, lacofdfireman, StG, trevor2k, 413.45, notsofasteddie, DirtyJohnny, MTNClimber0331, UpST8, RideFreak, Brakelate, ckjj888, Ol Man, holiday, RockinTheRVA, ElleDubs, Louutah, Rut Runner, Tee2, ttr, bomose, NMTrailboss, LittleWan, fly2hi96, socalrc31, ringokelly, DRZ RIDER, quota, mefadv, SnakeBreak, ceramic-lackey, kojack06, Sourjon, WDG
Thanks RRR. I'll be in Philly on Friday myself. Working the holiday. Atlanta, then Philly. I hope the worst of the weather has moved on by then.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:38 AM   #882
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,465
RRR thanks for all the great ride reports and pics! The family outings are always nice too.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #883
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,207
Riding suggestions for December

Quote:
Quote:
Hey Idaho Scout,

Late December riding in St. George, 2-up on a KLR 650. Sounds like fun. So much depends on weather, and whether or not there have been recent rains. Sounds like you know the St. George area, at least a bit. Best suggestion is to buy Benchmark Utah map and browse some of the rides in this thread. Index on page one should help.

Generally, you want to stay around St. George or head west and/or south. For the most part this is lower elevation. You want to avoid east or north, higher elevations.

As mentioned, a road ride through Zion is fun and rather unique with the tunnel. Also, you can ride on the road in the main canyon in winter. Very special to look straight upwards at the cliffs. Zion is slightly higher elevation than St. George, especially the east side above the tunnel. You may have to watch for ice. I would not venture off on dirt roads in this area. Zion on pavement would be more sightseeing as opposed to moto riding. Still very worthwhile.

The "back" way into Zion is Smith Mesa. Good dirt that connects to the Kolob Reservoir Road. If there have been recent rains, the Smith Mesa Road will have a few mudholes that just might not be that much fun. Unlikely to hold snow for long, but things don't dry out at that time of year. Post #238 is description of Smith Mesa.

The Kolob Reservoir Road, as mentioned, is scenic, but will quickly lead to snow. Keep lower unless you have studded tires for the KLR.

Overall, the best area close to St. George for 1/2 day to full day rides is the Mojave Desert Joshua Tree Scenic Backway. Due west of St. George. There is some ground that is higher, but unlikely to hold snow. Many of the dirt roads have a higher rock/gravel content, not prone to mud. Lots of this is very 2-up friendly. Other bits would be better for solo riders. You can easily gauge this as you start.

Many of these rides are accessed from Navajo Drive in Bloomington. Other main access points are on Old Highway #91, both on the Utah side of the hill and the AZ/Nevada side. You can always use #91 for a fast route back to St. George although it will be a bit colder as you blast on pavement back up over the top. Here are a few rides in this area: Post #17, #44, #95, #533.

Both the Motoqua Road and the Eardley Road head west from Old #91. These are both easy rides and generally lose elevation as the head towards Beaver Dam Wash. Very possible to cross Beaver Dam Wash and make loops, possibly going as far as Caliente, NV although this is full day out and back and daylight will not be on your side.

Some rides from the Motoqua and Eardley Roads: #102, #120, #144 Indian Spring Trail (very nice), #250, #538 (loops back to Gunlock Reservoir!!).

You could head out onto the AZ Strip, but distances are long and daylight will hurt you. Generally you will gain elevation and some of these roads are extremely prone to mud. This is the kind of mud that will stop you. Unless you are confident I would limit yourself to shorter trips on the AZ Strip in winter, or at least keep on the main gravel roads. A few shorter AZ rides are: #22 Petroglyphs, #276 Maple Canyon, easy access.

If you have never been to Toroweap, then you should figure out a way to make it happen. Probably the most spectacular Grand Canyon viewpoint. Not sure if winter is the time to make this trip. Definite "no" if mud is possibility.

Close to St. George on the east side of town is Warner Valley. This is much more of a single track, recreational riding area. Still lots of nice riding in the area including shorter forays onto the AZ Strip. Sample posts: #171, #199.

If you haven't been to Snow Canyon State Park, it is worth a visit, although this is all paved and scenic, not really a moto experience. Could combine with the Veyo Loop and a dirt/gravel detour on the Sand Cove Reservoir Road and Gunlock Reservoir. Some good twisty pavement with relatively few cars. Posts #49, #50.

If you want to venture further from St. George, then Mesquite and the Gold Butte area (Whitney Pockets) offer a lot. This is lower elevation and will be warmer and probably drier. But, these are longer days from St. George, watch the daylight unless you just want to slab back up I-15 through the Virgin River Gorge. Not ideal, but I have done it lots of times on all my bikes including the TW.

Have fun riding. There's always a chance I'll be around. Drop a PM when you are in the area. Perhaps we'll catch a ride together. Remember, pay attention to recent rain, and don't venture onto higher dirt roads without being ready to turn around at the first sign of trouble.

Take care, RRR.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976

RedRockRider screwed with this post 11-26-2013 at 10:56 AM
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #884
Hoot Gibson
Banned

Oddometer: 296
Gotta Say...

after my "retirement" in the Summer of 2003, I hitched my Jeep Wrangler to the back of various Motor Homes, and delivered them around the 48 and Canada....St George was one{among several in the west} place I really loved exploring on my return trips back to Ohio and Indiana, from Vegas, SLC, and California....I thought I saw much of the area via the Jeep...now, nearing age 65, your RR has convinced me to haul the Kawasaki xlr250s out that way in the next year or two, and see some of what I missed.
Hoot Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #885
idahoscout
Adventurer

Great Ideas and Info

Quote:
Hey Idaho Scout,

Late December riding in St. George, 2-up on a KLR 650. Sounds like fun. So much depends on weather, and whether or not there have been recent rains. Sounds like you know the St. George area, at least a bit. Best suggestion is to buy Benchmark Utah map and browse some of the rides in this thread. Index on page one should help.

Generally, you want to stay around St. George or head west and/or south. For the most part this is lower elevation. You want to avoid east or north, higher elevations.

As mentioned, a road ride through Zion is fun and rather unique with the tunnel. Also, you can ride on the road in the main canyon in winter. Very special to look straight upwards at the cliffs. Zion is slightly higher elevation than St. George, especially the east side above the tunnel. You may have to watch for ice. I would not venture off on dirt roads in this area. Zion on pavement would be more sightseeing as opposed to moto riding. Still very worthwhile.

The "back" way into Zion is Smith Mesa. Good dirt that connects to the Kolob Reservoir Road. If there have been recent rains, the Smith Mesa Road will have a few mudholes that just might not be that much fun. Unlikely to hold snow for long, but things don't dry out at that time of year. Post #238 is description of Smith Mesa.

The Kolob Reservoir Road, as mentioned, is scenic, but will quickly lead to snow. Keep lower unless you have studded tires for the KLR.

Overall, the best area close to St. George for 1/2 day to full day rides is the Mojave Desert Joshua Tree Scenic Backway. Due west of St. George. There is some ground that is higher, but unlikely to hold snow. Many of the dirt roads have a higher rock/gravel content, not prone to mud. Lots of this is very 2-up friendly. Other bits would be better for solo riders. You can easily gauge this as you start.

Many of these rides are accessed from Navajo Drive in Bloomington. Other main access points are on Old Highway #91, both on the Utah side of the hill and the AZ/Nevada side. You can always use #91 for a fast route back to St. George although it will be a bit colder as you blast on pavement back up over the top. Here are a few rides in this area: Post #17, #44, #95, #533.

Both the Motoqua Road and the Eardley Road head west from Old #91. These are both easy rides and generally lose elevation as the head towards Beaver Dam Wash. Very possible to cross Beaver Dam Wash and make loops, possibly going as far as Caliente, NV although this is full day out and back and daylight will not be on your side.

Some rides from the Motoqua and Eardley Roads: #102, #120, #144 Indian Spring Trail (very nice), #250, #538 (loops back to Gunlock Reservoir!!).

You could head out onto the AZ Strip, but distances are long and daylight will hurt you. Generally you will gain elevation and some of these roads are extremely prone to mud. This is the kind of mud that will stop you. Unless you are confident I would limit yourself to shorter trips on the AZ Strip in winter, or at least keep on the main gravel roads. A few shorter AZ rides are: #22 Petroglyphs, #276 Maple Canyon, easy access.

If you have never been to Toroweap, then you should figure out a way to make it happen. Probably the most spectacular Grand Canyon viewpoint. Not sure if winter is the time to make this trip. Definite "no" if mud is possibility.

Close to St. George on the east side of town is Warner Valley. This is much more of a single track, recreational riding area. Still lots of nice riding in the area including shorter forays onto the AZ Strip. Sample posts: #171, #199.

If you haven't been to Snow Canyon State Park, it is worth a visit, although this is all paved and scenic, not really a moto experience. Could combine with the Veyo Loop and a dirt/gravel detour on the Sand Cove Reservoir Road and Gunlock Reservoir. Some good twisty pavement with relatively few cars. Posts #49, #50.

If you want to venture further from St. George, then Mesquite and the Gold Butte area (Whitney Pockets) offer a lot. This is lower elevation and will be warmer and probably drier. But, these are longer days from St. George, watch the daylight unless you just want to slab back up I-15 through the Virgin River Gorge. Not ideal, but I have done it lots of times on all my bikes including the TW.

Have fun riding. There's always a chance I'll be around. Drop a PM when you are in the area. Perhaps we'll catch a ride together. Remember, pay attention to recent rain, and don't venture onto higher dirt roads without being ready to turn around at the first sign of trouble.

Take care, RRR.
Thank you so much. I have my Utah Benchmark and will start plotting out some rides. I definately will send a PM when we are down there. And, we will take it easy and keep it fun. Thanks again