Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #76
dec181966
Dude on a motorcycle

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
Hey Michael -- Glad the info is helping with the trip planning and adding to the anticipation. Are you planning to ride the Ninja or XT250? Southwest Utah has great road and dual sport riding. Give me a heads up if you have any specific questions. Better yet, let me know when you are coming through. Always good to get away for a short ride, street or dirt!!!

Ride safe, RedRockRider.

Hey Redrock!

This winter I will be looking to get a DR650 or 650GS single....still weighing the pros & cons of each. That will be my long haul adventure bike. Even if I get that bike I still might truck the XT250 to Utah as I LOVE it for exploring.
I will look you up for sure when I firm up the dates and maybe we can try to get in a ride or 4

If you ever find yourself in the Nor Cal wine country let me know and I will show you some of my area!

Old 10-22-2011, 02:56 PM   #77
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Thanks, Bomose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomose View Post
Great thread, Redrock. I've been to Zion many times, but always ridden the East side around Kanab. I'll have to try the West side next time. Very interesting places. It's great to see you and your whole family enjoying the outdoors on bikes.It makes for a long enjoyable marriage.
Yes, good advice as it relates to the family. Definitely, check out areas West of Zion. St. George has tons of very inexpensive (reasonable) hotels. Also, lots of good, easy (free) camping in the area on BLM land.

Generally, drop to lower elevations in the winter and higher elevations in the summer. Makes for a 12-month riding season. Zion National Park itselft is great year round. Just wouldn't do the Narrows hike in winter . . .

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:13 AM   #78
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

No Coffee Cake . . .

[QUOTE=quota;17027970]
Quote:

Sure! If the Zuma doesn't mind going as far as Ivins. You could visit the new location of the Sweet Pea Bakery and Cafe. On 200 East and around 550 South. You get extra points if the owner, Mary, is in the photo. Tell her that her friends from Park City will be in soon for a meal.
Do yourself and favor and buy a piece of her coffee cake.

Finally had the chance to by the Sweat Pea location on the Zuma. Not good. Here is the sign . . .

But . . .

We have to wish Mary good luck in opening a new location soon. The local economy is showing some signs of life, so perhaps . . .

Inmates, anywhere else the Zuma should try and visit on its travels? Ride safe, my friends.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:26 PM   #79
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Completing the Daimond Valley Loop on Pine Valley Mtn. Rt 033

Spent most of the day on bicycles with my wife -- fun! But, by late afternoon had a few hours of flex time. Perfect for a quick moto ride. Just enough time to check out the Diamond Valley loop up around the Grassy Knoll on the side of Pine Valley Mountain. This is forest service road 033.

Here are a few pics from post 57 on page 4 of this thread.

Today I was solo, and moving along at a good clip. Not very many photos since it was late afternoon by the time I started. Total ride was almost 50 miles, not quite 2.5 hours. Finished the last bit of pavement back home in the dark. Here's the map.

A few notes:
- In Diamond Valley, turn left just past the church onto a graded gravel road. Bear right after 1/2 mile. This systematically gains elevation and heads in the direction of Pine Valley Mtn. It becomes 033.
- There are several little tracks to explore up by the Grassy Knoll, and at least one old cabin. Have to go back.
- No sign at the pass, but there is a trailhead (for hikers). Climbs to summit.
- The steepest bit of road is just over the pass with the large switchback. Overall ok, but steep grade with some loose gravel. Recent maintenance is pretty good.
- Did not explore 322 yet. Running water in this wash. Another reason to go back.
- 033 through the area marked Black Gulch is an easy descent. It is a long, gradual decline all the way back to St. George. The connection with pavement is near the MotoZoo store (East Red Hills Parkway).

Additional:
- Connection in red from Black Gulch area over the Diamond Valley is easy, but prone to mud. Makes a nice short loop.
- Forest Service Road 031 extends east to Silver Reef, then easy to ascend to Oak Grove, maintained gravel. I've been on these roads a number of times, but no extra time (daylight) today. Just puttin' it out there so inmates will know these are good roads. Oak Grove is a nice camping area. High enough to be very cool in summer. Some good fall colors in the area.

On to to pics Here is a photo taken at about the same spot as the turnaround point with my Dad from our ride about 10 days ago. On the map this is about where the 033 is just to left of the Grassy Knoll.

View of Pine Valley Mountain (Signal Peak, 10,365), almost at pass. The pass climbs through a high meadow, scrub forest to the right of this picture. The pass itself is not dramatic.

One of the side roads to explore on a future ride, just before the pass.

Hiking trailhead at pass. 3,000+ ft of elevation gain to summit. Rocky trail, not recommended for horses.

One pic of a curve on the descent. Overall, road in good shape, but there are a few steep spots with some loose gravel. Light was fading and I still had 30 minutes of dirt in front of me, so it was time to go. Passed several hunters (all friendly). We shared info on the road, so I knew it was in good shape. (Plus I have been this way before.)

One more side road, worthy of exploring. This is 322 on the descent. Looks like year round water. Possible primitive campsites nearby.

Final pic of last sunlight, looking back high on southwest face of Pine Valley Mountain. The rest of the road is an easy decline back to St. George. A few spots are prone to mud, and there are some bumpy rocks, but all easy. Stopped to chat with a few hunters, also saw the local Sheriff. Kinda busy for a Sunday evening.

These are good rides. Nice to start in St. George and ride up the Black Gulch area on 033. Then turn right on 031 to Sliver Reef (no gas), then up to Oak Grove. Retrace same route back to St. George to avoid pavement.

Thanks for checkin' in. Ride safe, inmates!

RedRockRider screwed with this post 10-29-2011 at 09:30 PM
Old 10-24-2011, 01:23 AM   #80
bretedge
Do Epic Shit

Oddometer: 437
That last trip makes me miss my TW200. Looks like some rugged and beautiful country. If my desire to ride this winter overcomes my laziness I might just rent a trailer and head west to your neck of the woods. Thanks for the continued inspiration.
bretedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:09 AM   #81
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, Bret!

Yeah, ride or trailer down to St. G anytime. As long as you can keep your hands warm, there is always good riding, pavement or dirt. Your Tiger could make it in a few long hours. Been enjoying your posts and photos as well.

For me, the TW200 is a great little exploring bike. If I'm checking out a new place, especially if alone, I usually will choose the TW200 over the WRR. The TW has some shortfalls, but the low seat height, fat tire, and light weight, make it an appealing choice. Doubly true if darkness is approaching.

TW200s make a great smaller, second bike -- although I think my Dad's Honda 230L is overall a better machine. His bike has a sixth gear and runs better at elevation (flawless). It is also a great little exploring bike, capable (almost) of highway speeds.

Ride on, my man. Take care.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:06 AM   #82
tompee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Great thread. I want to get a second bike myself so that I can take other people for rides... and TW200 is right up there on my list.
Currently have WR as you do... great minds ;-)

Subscribed!
Old 10-26-2011, 08:45 PM   #83
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, Tompee

Checked out a few of your threads. Very nice pics. Your WRX in all black is very sharp. The smooth tires make a nice contrast with the snow. Very adventuresome bit of riding there, my friend.

Yeah, the TW200 would make a nice complement to your current bike. You might even like the knobbie tire for some of your rides!

TW200 does make a good "family & friends" bike. Low seat, modest power, good on dirt or pavement, simple to operate and maintain . . . Ride safe. I'll look forward to more of your posts.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:06 PM   #84
havocdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Two pics from the last ride of the weekend at Brian Head.

The TW 200 on the ski bridge above the highway.

At the Wildflower chairlift.

Ride safe, fellow inmates.
RedRock - thanks for these shots - nice to see some of my favorite spots around BH without snow. I really need to get out there in warmer weather and on a bike... come to think of it, I really need to get a TW again... keep the pictures coming.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:08 PM   #85
samthg
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,419
You're hitting a chord with the crowd out here concerning the smaller bike. My '86 XL is very tired and i have been yearning for something in that range. Your antics on the WR & TW are very inspirational.

Keeps those pic's coming.
samthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:20 PM   #86
havocdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Two pics from the last ride of the weekend at Brian Head.

The TW 200 on the ski bridge above the highway.

By the way, I'm more accustomed to that bridge looking like this (taken from the other side):
Old 10-26-2011, 09:44 PM   #87
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, Havocdog!

Yes, the bridge is very attractive from that side as well! Just not as much snow as your picture.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:58 PM   #88
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Toroweap Preview

Today: 215 miles with Eddie, one of my ridin' friends. Destination: Toroweap. Eddie is a great guy and a super riding partner. More pics and some details to follow. Here's a warm-up.

The bikes, just leaving St. George (River Rd.). Eddie rocks on his trusty KLR650. I'm on the WRR, carrying extra gas. Large distances and no services on the AZ strip (Grand Canyon north rim on dirt).

Grand Canyon from the Toroweap Overlook. Fabulous!

Your host and fellow inmate. Colorado river, several thousand feet below.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #89
MSH
The Salt

Oddometer: 3,031
Took some iPhone shots at Mokaak (Mokiak) Canyon at the strip this week. You ought to hike up that canyon... I didnt get any pics in the canyon but its amazing. Here are a couple at the corral near the entrance.

"Not all those who wander are lost"
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #90
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Terrific looking bike, MSH

I think I know where that is. Close to St. George. Just off of the River Road exit on dirt towards the Mount Trumbull Schoolhouse (Rt. 1069). Climb the canyon towards the first pass. Spellings on Benchmark Maps (AZ) show Mocaac Wash and Mokaac Mountain. Probably lots of spelling variations out there. I'll have to explore that area a bit more. Thanks.

Did I say you've got a terrific looking bike!!! Looks ready for some serious exploring on the AZ strip!

RedRockRider screwed with this post 01-15-2012 at 04:24 PM