User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #901
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
St. George Snowstorm

Earlier this afternoon. Fired up the hot tub . . . suggested a quick dip . . . kid was at a party . . . Mrs. RedRockRider said

Snowed all day. Street in front of our house a few hours ago. Lots of snowmen being built. All our winter toys are at Brian Head so my son and his friends went "sledding" on some old cookie sheets my wife sacrificed.

Snowstorm was a direct hit on St. George. At least 6 inches of perfect snowball snow!

Talked to a few old-timers in the neighborhood. Most snow they have ever seen in St. George in 25-50 years. Next few days should offer some beautiful scenery with blue sky, red cliffs, and still lots of snow.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #902
ParrotheadJeff
Cultural Infidel

Oddometer: 1,181
RRR - Thanks for a great thread! I've been lurking on this one for a while now. I got the riding bug back in Vegas a couple years ago and I've put quite a few miles on my V-Star 650 since then. I moved up to Price, UT in June of last year because I had a daughter on the way and now she's 16 months old

I've thought about getting a TW200 for quite a while now and I think it's just going to take some time to save up to get one similar to what you have. In the mean time I'll just ride when I get the chance and keep putting miles on the cruiser

With regards to snow - We've had tons of it all day today and I'm probably going to get an electric snow blower because my snow shovel was NOT fun this afternoon. All this snow is new to me, but I feel your pain when it comes to dealing with shoveling and all.

I also wanted to see if you had any trips to Zion planned in the near future. One of the times I went through that park there was a pretty good storm that came through as we arrived. It knocked out power and rained in the valley floor near the western park entrance. When the clouds cleared about an hour later, there was a gorgeous dusting of snow on the red rock! I do love seeing snow on red rock

Thanks again and have a great day
Old 12-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #903
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,447
Brrrr, I expected to see a snowmobile adventure from Brians head!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #904
DirtyJohnny
BR 549

Oddometer: 112
Cool2 Snow in SE Utah

[QUOTE=RedRockRider;22944023]Earlier this afternoon. Fired up the hot tub . . . suggested a quick dip . . . kid was at a party . . . Mrs. RedRockRider said

Snowed all day. Street in front of our house a few hours ago. Lots of snowmen being built. All our winter toys are at Brian Head so my son and his friends went "sledding" on some old cookie sheets my wife sacrificed.

Snowstorm was a direct hit on St. George. At least 6 inches of perfect snowball snow!

Talked to a few old-timers in the neighborhood. Most snow they have ever seen in St. George in 25-50 years. Next few days should offer some beautiful scenery with blue sky, red cliffs, and still lots of snow.[/QUOTE

WOW!!!!!!! Looks more like NE Utah.
DirtyJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #905
FTL900
White and nerdy

Oddometer: 263
RRR-

Great ride reports, I'm subscribed!!

We got a little snow in Las Vegas last week- not enough to stick, but a little more in the mountains with a dusting of snow across all the peaks, and Mt Charleston had enough to go skiing or snowboarding.

I've just gotten into the DS thing, having been a street rider forever with occasional (intentional) detours into the dirt.
Since buying a DR350 2 months ago, I'm kind of trying to find my niche and understand what I had in mind when I created my short list, with the WR250, DR350, DRZ400, and... I forget, there was one more bike on there, but nothing as big as the KLR. Anyway, I certainly did not have in mind trans-continental with hard bags or anything.

I bought it with the idea that I wasn't planning to do any more pavement miles than necessary, mostly back roads, single or double track. I recently trucked it up north to Logandale north of Vegas with some friends, but they took 3 MX250 dirt bikes, and I quickly realized that I had NOT found my niche there.

I am constantly noticing dirt roads that head up a mountain, and wondering where that road goes. I like riding and exploring, not so much desert racing or putting on thousands of interstate highway miles. So your pictures look like exactly what I'm looking for. I don't plan on loading everything in my garage onto the bike.

I'm sure there are similar roads around the Vegas area, but I haven't found anyone that wants to go "exploring" just yet, and not knowing the area very well (or where cell service works and does not work), I hesitate to strike out on my own. Others I have encountered seem to be more into dunes, desert racing, or finding the impossible hill to climb. With trials or 50/50 tires (Kenda K270) on a DR350, I'm not much into those. I don't know much about your TW200, but my DR350 has all the power of any XR200 ever produced.

Anyway, I'm interested in the kind of riding that you're doing, and thinking perhaps when you're planning a weekend day trip with other friends, I can truck up there and unload to ride with you. Your day trip excursion pictures look exactly what I had in mind when I bought this bike- exploring roads and unknown areas.

San Diego looked like a great trip, and you went through our backyard on your return... Nipton, Searchlight... did you go through Oatman? It's a great tiny tourist stop of an old western town, complete with gunfights in the street, and burros wandering through town in search of handouts. It's southeast of Searchlight and east of Laughlin. We were coming in from Kingman on I-40 after a breakfast there at Cracker Barrel. Leaving Kingman, we went south on I-40 and then took Route 66 west to get into Oatman.

That section of Route 66 must be original, because it was some of the worst road I've ever ridden. After miles and miles of bad road, we would suddenly come into a turn and find new smooth pavement, and silently celebrate that the bad road was over... only to realize the corner had been newly paved but that was all... and then it was back to old, very abrasive surface, barely worth being called a road.

Anyway, I digress. I'm interested in going DS exploring, whether up in your neck of the woods, starting a new chapter around around Vegas, or anywhere in between.

FTL900 screwed with this post 12-10-2013 at 01:09 PM Reason: OCD regarding typos
FTL900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #906
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hey FTL900 -- Thanks! You are certainly welcome to join up for future dual sport rides. Road rides fine also. We have a loose group of inmates that gets together periodically. Nothing formal, or regularly scheduled, but we seem to do ok. I usually post "Open Invites" and am also receptive to reasonable suggestions (overnight to Toroweap, meet in Mesquite, etc.). Currently, all the backroads around St. George are covered in 6 inches of snow, and it is still cold. Snow machines and ATVs better suited to this stuff. You probably heard . . . I-15 through the AZ Gorge got shut down the other night. About 300 cars and a few school buses spent the night in the Gorge.

Did go out on my TW (on pavement) yesterday afternoon. One pic from Snow Canyon State Park, adjacent to St. George.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #907
WDG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral View Post
It's really neat (for me anyway) discovering the old railroad stuff. Is this an old water tower too or just a windmill?

Wondering if a person lived in the shack? Again, cool stuff! Thanks so much for sharing.
Is this the same place, or a different but similar looking tower?

Not my photos, but I can't find which website I got them from at the moment. I do recall they were taken somewhere Nevada, I believe on the line that runs down through Caliente.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #908
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTL900 View Post
I'm sure there are similar roads around the Vegas area, but I haven't found anyone that wants to go "exploring" just yet, and not knowing the area very well .
follow this link to my2wheels.com, loads of rides all the time in and around Vegas, great bunch of guys riding at all levels
rtwpaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #909
quota
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 846
Glad that I remembered to turn off the sprinkler system a couple of weeks ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post

Snowed all day. Street in front of our house a few hours ago. Lots of snowmen being built.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:31 PM   #910
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Railroad Tower in Beryl, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDG View Post
Is this the same place, or a different but similar looking tower?

Not my photos, but I can't find which website I got them from at the moment. I do recall they were taken somewhere Nevada, I believe on the line that runs down through Caliente.
Beryl, UT.

Another photo from a similar angle, looking southwest along the tracks. Note the small, modular building just behind the tower. Visible in both pics, just a slightly different angle. Lots of other details match up as well. Smart money says Beryl, UT. Additional pics of Beryl and Lund (with trains) in Post #444 on page 30.

Here's a map for those not familiar with southwest Utardia. The Union Pacific rail line runs north from Caliente, NV (pics in Post #284, page 19) to Barclay, NV (pics in Post #325, page 22) then into Utah near Modena (pics in Post #823, page 55). Railroad continues north to Milford (Post #714, page 48), then towards Salt Lake. Modena, Beryl, and Lund all have interesting old railroad buildings. And the rail line is active. Relatively common to see trains.

Thanks inmates for all the recent comments and star ratings. Shout-out to: quota, rtwpaul, WDG, FTL900, DirtyJohnny, Bob, ParrotheadJeff, samthg, holiday, NSFW, ringokelly, lacofdfireman, ElleDubs, TheAdmiral, idahoscout, Hoot Gibson, G19Tony, oldoval, simbaboy, Superhawk . . . plus all you lurkers

Hope all you local inmates are enjoying our St. George snowstorm. Looks like we were ground zero

Old 12-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #911
Hoot Gibson
Banned

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Hey FTL900 -- Thanks! You are certainly welcome to join up for future dual sport rides. Road rides fine also. We have a loose group of inmates that gets together periodically. Nothing formal, or regularly scheduled, but we seem to do ok. I usually post "Open Invites" and am also receptive to reasonable suggestions (overnight to Toroweap, meet in Mesquite, etc.). Currently, all the backroads around St. George are covered in 6 inches of snow, and it is still cold. Snow machines and ATVs better suited to this stuff. You probably heard . . . I-15 through the AZ Gorge got shut down the other night. About 300 cars and a few school buses spent the night in the Gorge.

Did go out on my TW (on pavement) yesterday afternoon. One pic from Snow Canyon State Park, adjacent to St. George.

RRR: The more I read and see the TW I am about ready to pull the trigger on a new one...there are several 2013s locally here in Western Ohio that I can pick up for less than $3500, as the dealers try to reduce inventory before the Spring riding season.

Just asking....is there anything these are not capable of doing{beside roll down the Interstate at 75-80 mph}? With the short seat height and fat tires, they seem like a perfect fit for this old man
Hoot Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #912
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,289
Quote:

Wow, lots of snow. Glad it's there and not here.

Is the route above a dualsport or adventure bike route? Planning at least a trip or two next year to the state. Just love it.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #913
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Go for it! Sounds like you've got it figured out, Hoot. The mighty TW won't set any asphalt speed records . . . but other than that . . . it makes a great little recreational moto . . . kind of like a two-wheeled jeep.

Sounds like a good time to buy for you. If the bike turns out not to be your thing . . . should be an easy resale with only a modest dollar loss. The TW won't match a KLX250s in any performance aspect . . . except for sending out good karma.

Enjoy!

Old 12-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #914
Hoot Gibson
Banned

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Go for it! Sounds like you've got it figured out, Hoot. The mighty TW won't set any asphalt speed records . . . but other than that . . . it makes a great little recreational moto . . . kind of like a two-wheeled jeep.

Sounds like a good time to buy for you. If the bike turns out not to be your thing . . . should be an easy resale with only a modest dollar loss. The TW won't match a KLX250s in any performance aspect . . . except for sending out good karma.

Enjoy!
Great...I plan on keeping the klx250s for major DA riding, but would like to use the tw200 for some off roading and getting to my umpiring/officiating gigs via the back roads, some gravel, some dirt, and some two lane black tops...

thanks for the confirmation!
Hoot Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #915
FTL900
White and nerdy

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
follow this link to my2wheels.com, loads of rides all the time in and around Vegas, great bunch of guys riding at all levels
Thanks Paul... I'm also on M2W, and I actually cross-posted the DVDaze ride coming up the end of January to M2W, trying to see who local is going.

We're having (someone else is hosting) a holiday dinner this weekend at a local Vegas restaurant, so it'll be a chance for me to meet some of the local guys.

RRR, I saw that snowstorm and the jacked up freeway accidents on TV... it looked pretty intense!