Old 02-01-2014, 11:20 AM   #991
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefinski View Post

So many dirt roads and so little time.
Hey Chiefinski,

Welcome to the asylum. Thanks for your first post, always an honor. Fine to post up here or send PMs. Longer days are coming. Index of rides on page one. Benchmark Map is very useful for planning. Local inmates are a great bunch of guys and one gal. Congrats on your bike and new place in Washington.

See you around, RRR.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #992
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Vulcan to Zion

Beautiful blue skies a couple of days ago. Good afternoon to ride up to Zion. Stopped to take a pic at the bridge crossing to La Verkin.

The bridge.

In Rockville, about a month ago, after a period of heavy rain, a huge boulder came crashing down and demolished this house, killing two people.

The property is adjacent to the main road. Now fenced off. Doesn't look like anything has been touched since the boulder came down. This sign is posted on the fence.

Boulder and remains of house.

Small memorial.

On to Zion. Much easier to get a photo of the entrance in winter. In high season (spring, summer, and fall) this sign is often crawling with tourists.

Large roadside rock, heading up to the tunnel.

If you get the chance, ride your bike through the tunnel. It's an experience. Also some great switchbacks and views. THe east exit/entrance to Zion is a great motorcycle road to Mount Carmel Junction.

Court of the Patriarchs.

Named by a Methodist minister.

In winter the main canyon road is open to private vehicles. Short hike up to Weeping Rock.

Red cliffs of Zion.

The road is slow speed, but has a nice curves and some fantastic views, mostly upwards.

Saw this clever little dude at one of the view points.

Going home. View across Sand Hollow Reservoir.

Thanks for checking in. Ride safe, ride often.

RedRockRider screwed with this post 02-02-2014 at 02:27 PM
Old 02-12-2014, 01:12 PM   #993
Vikingtazz
Will ride for food.

Oddometer: 239
Thanks for the great ride report RRR

Google maps says you are 3800km's from my home, but I reckon that's not going to stop me from visiting your beautiful area and doing some riding of my own.

Your photos and reports have made up my mind, the rest are just details.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709349
Vikingtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:10 PM   #994
Dkizerian
Honky Lips

Oddometer: 149
Thanks for all the great reports! I'm itching to make it south, visit my parents in Mesquite, and then go on a little adventure.
Dkizerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #995
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Little Black Mountain Petroglyph Loop

Hello Inmates,

There's been a bit of a gap since my last post. Spent the last few weeks shutting down my business -- all good. Turns out we have "hit our number" so I've decided to become a "full-time slacker." Have to join my buddy StG . . . as an experienced "slacker" . . . he'll be a good role model.

I'll have to get busy with more moto rides and keep myself out of the house. Otherwise my wife is just delighting in the opportunity to give me the "honey do" list. Yikes -- not exactly my vision of retirement.

I've received several PMs from inmate friends . . . checking in on me . . . thanks. Some imaginary friends aren't all that bad.

Appreciate the recent comments from Dkizerian and Vikingtazz. Thread now has over 200,000 views and lots of 5-star ratings. Thanks everyone.

On to the pics. Good Friday afternoon ride with Dad. Weather is now beautiful in St. George. We did a short ride out on the AZ Strip - the Little Black Mountain Petroglyph Loop. Starts at River Road, ends up by Washington Fields. Lots of new construction (roads and houses) on that side of town. Quite a mess.

Starting out. Good sign.

Dad is ready with his camera.

He loops up the road ahead of me.

Near the Black Mountain Petroglyph "parking lot." Background is looking south towards higher ground of the AZ Strip.

A few of the petroglyphs.

Beautiful lichen on the desert rocks.

This bike was in the "parking lot" for the petroglyphs while we were there. Very nice looking Honda 250 dual sport. Perhaps another local inmate?

Completing the loop back towards Washington Fields.

Reconnecting with pavement near the new "Warner Valley" exit. Looking north towards the red sandstone of Silver Reef and Pine Valley Mountain.

As always, thanks for riding along. Stay safe out there.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:08 PM   #996
Tee2
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer: 1,230
"full-time slacker." ? You mean, you now can give your full attention to this thread.

Congratulations!

Tee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:32 PM   #997
Byork
Novice

Oddometer: 229
Congradulations on retirement! Enjoying your thread from the flatlands here.

I've got another 25-35 yrs of working
Old 02-22-2014, 12:58 PM   #998
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,519
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:57 PM   #999
notsofasteddie
Semi Slow Rider

Oddometer: 55
Congratulations!

Congratulations on retirement. I too am now part of the retired folks, as of January 24th. We're finishing up some home improvement stuff this next week, but I did get some riding in the last few days. Beautiful weather over this way in Page also.

If our "schedules" match, and you're up for it, maybe I can buy you lunch one day when I'm over that way. I have to go see the guy that cuts the little cancerous thingies off my scalp one of these next weeks and his office is near the Bloomington Walmart (Dixie Dermatology by the Wingate hotel). As a thank you for all the entertainment and information I'd buy you lunch at Peppers Cantina there in the neighborhood (or wherever). I'll PM you when I get an appointment set up to see if you're good with it.

Enjoyed the Death Valley trip. It had me inspired to try and do that right after my last day at work. But, I tweaked my back at home a week before retirement, so, I didn't get back riding again until a couple of weeks ago. By then the home improvement stuff was on the schedule. If I'm going to Death Valley this spring I'd better get it done before it's 120 deg.

Thanks for the continuing saga!
Ed
Old 02-22-2014, 09:15 PM   #1000
ringokelly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
??

RRR...Retired?? What?? You are not old enough! I need your job and "get me some of that".. I am sure I will be working until the day I die, but that's OK too. More time for you to ride, so be prepped next time I am down
Old 02-23-2014, 10:04 AM   #1001
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsofasteddie View Post
Congratulations on retirement.

If our "schedules" match, and you're up for it, maybe I can buy you lunch one day when I'm over that way. I have to go see the guy that cuts the little cancerous thingies off my scalp one of these next weeks and his office is near the Bloomington Walmart (Dixie Dermatology by the Wingate hotel). As a thank you for all the entertainment and information I'd buy you lunch at Peppers Cantina there in the neighborhood (or wherever). I'll PM you when I get an appointment set up to see if you're good with it.

Ed
Thanks Ed, sounds good. PM me whenever you are planning to be in St. George. Road bikes or dual sport . . . or just lunch. Peppers Cantina is 10 min from my house. Congrats on your retirement as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringokelly View Post
RRR...Retired?? What?? You are not old enough! I need your job and "get me some of that".. I am sure I will be working until the day I die, but that's OK too. More time for you to ride, so be prepped next time I am down
Ringokelly . . . I'll be ready . . . road or dual sport.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:00 PM   #1002
SparkyL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Congrats RRR! I'm doing my utmost to cross the finish line right behind you. Meanwhile, please keep the goods coming.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:15 PM   #1003
lacofdfireman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
Ok RRR fill us all on and make us jealous. How young are ya and what type of business are you retired from. Jealous on ever level.
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:31 PM   #1004
Hoot Gibson
Banned

Oddometer: 296
Retirement is Great

"Retired" from my position at the County Health Department in 2002 at the ripe old age of 53....have not looked back. Still Officiate about 200 College & High School Baseball, Football, and Basketball, games per year, but doing things you enjoy, whether paid or not isn't "work".....

You won't regret the decision....may you live long and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
Hoot Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:49 PM   #1005
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyL View Post
Congrats RRR! I'm doing my utmost to cross the finish line right behind you. Meanwhile, please keep the goods coming.
Thanks. First day of retirement wasn't bad at all. Solo ride on the TW through Elbow Canyon on the AZ Strip. Will post pics tomorrow. Also have work on a few travel details. We have upcoming trips to Belize, Alaska, and Greece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
Ok RRR fill us all on and make us jealous. How young are ya and what type of business are you retired from. Jealous on ever level.
I'm lucky -- age 49. Business I'm just winding down now is investment management. Prior business was strategy consulting. Too much travel with the strategy consulting, so I stopped that when we had a kid, and started the investment management business. Ran each for 10 years. Both small operations, but successful. Prior to that I was a Peace Corp Volunteer. Wife loves her part-time gig as a doctor, so she plans to keep going.

I'll certainly be on the motos more. Just realized today that the main problem with all of my bikes is . . . they don't have enough miles on them. Plan to fix that. Most trips will still be "day trips" from St. George. No plans for Alaska or Mexico since family time is still the top priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson View Post
"Retired" from my position at the County Health Department in 2002 at the ripe old age of 53....have not looked back. Still Officiate about 200 College & High School Baseball, Football, and Basketball, games per year, but doing things you enjoy, whether paid or not isn't "work".....

You won't regret the decision....may you live long and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
I worked as a baseball umpire during the summers of my college years. Fun job.