User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2014, 08:27 AM   #1021
RoadGrime
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Hello RRR...

Just finished watching the movie "Once Upon a Time in the West" for about the 3rd or 4th time, and came across this youtube video about the film locations then & now. thought you might like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwIJiSXgYjQ

Ever been to The hanging arch?, "about 8:32 in vid " it's located in the Utah desert 13 miles from the Arizona-Utah border near Goosenecks Canyon, the base of the arch still exists.
RoadGrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:51 PM   #1022
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGrime View Post
Just finished watching the movie "Once Upon a Time in the West" for about the 3rd or 4th time, and came across this youtube video about the film locations then & now. thought you might like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwIJiSXgYjQ

Ever been to The hanging arch?, "about 8:32 in vid " it's located in the Utah desert 13 miles from the Arizona-Utah border near Goosenecks Canyon, the base of the arch still exists.
Thanks, RoadGrime. Cool video. Have not been to the hanging arch. Lots to see in the Goosenecks area.

But, I was skiing at Brian Head with my son and wife earlier today. Fresh snow and beautiful skies.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:20 PM   #1023
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

South Side: Virgin River Gorge Overlook

Since I'm a "full-time slacker" now . . . thought it would be good to get with my local inmate buddy StG. He has years of "full-time slacker" experience. I'm figuring that some of his expertise is going to be very helpful to me.

Here's StG . . . halfway through our ride.

Back to the beginning. Since we meet at my place it is very easy to check out the "airplane" arrow on top of the bluff overlooking Bloomington and the Virgin River as it runs just under the I-15 bridge.

StG gets a pic of me by our bikes.

After a bit of dirt two-track from SunRiver south along the north side of I-15 we are at BlackRock, AZ. Nothing here but an old building. StG grabs another pic of me on the backside of the building.

We are headed to the south side of the Virgin River Overlook Gorge. This was the first ride I posted in this thread in September, 2011. Post #2 on page 1. Excellent ride. Very scenic with a big payoff.

After some fast dirt through the Gypsum Mine we stop at the intersection of #1022 which is the road to the overlook point.

The main road ascends Maple Canyon. We will follow the Low Mountain Road. This road eventually reconnects with #1004 near the top of Black Mountain (and Elbow Canyon). We would stop and the overlook then retrace our steps by a slightly different route. Lots of small dirt roads in this area.

As we are stopped, these two guys come along on ATVs. These guys are retired also, so we have a good discussion about the best ways to spend our time. I think this ride was on a Wednesday afternoon. We all agree that motos and ATVs are a good option.

StG and I take off on our little blue beasts. The road loops around and gains elevation. Quite a few rocky bits as we gain elevation. Some nice views as we work out way upwards. Brief stop at an intersection with the 1022 sign.

A couple more older "retired" guys come down the trail on ATVs. We have a second conversation with these guys about how great it is to be retired and riding motos and ATVs on a Wednesday afternoon. These two guys look at me and StG like we might be deviants. How can you guys be "retired" at your ages and be out riding motorcycles all the time? A few more minutes of conversation about all the dirt roads out on the AZ Strip and soon enough we are taking a few pics. These guys also give us a good tip on going through some closed gates which helps us to make scenic loop.

More climbing . . . then we are up at the turn-off to the overlook point.

Same sign and almost the same pic as 2011. Check it out on page 1.

Here's StG. Gotta get a few more pics of StG. He's always fast . . . then offering to take pics of me with my own camera. Very good guy to go riding with!

StG taking in the view. There is a small tower at the overlook. Big views down to I-15 inside the Virgin River Gorge just above Cedar Pockets.

Lots of colorful rock in the side canyon leading down to the Virgin River.

And just the bikes. Hey . . . it's a motorcycle website.

On the way back we take the water haul road. This was the tip from the ATV guys. This road is easier. Not as rocky and the slope is more moderate. First time on this road for me. I'm always hesitant to cross closed gates on private property (without an invite). Some Utah ranchers have been known to carry guns. Best not to be obnoxious about things.

Score! So we find this old grader, similar to the one on the road to Toroweap. Of course, this one is very out of the way, not on a "tourist" route at all.

Of course we stop for pics. Here's StG trying to figure out which one of these controls is the clutch and which one is the throttle.

Off again. Down through the dead tree graveyard.

Little glamour photo of my bike as we approach the point where we complete the loop.

Back at the Gypsum Mine. Most of the workers had left so we go off route a bit and grab a pic.

Some more fun riding along some powerlines and we eventually work our way back in to town via River Road. StG does have a lot of expertise with this "full-time slacker" business. I'll have to watch and learn. Good goal for the rest of 2014.

As always, thanks inmates for riding along.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:07 AM   #1024
dave6253
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,950
I'm glad - and a little jealous - to see you are enjoying retirement.

That grader looks like a newer, motorized version of the Adams Leaning Wheel Grader near Toroweap.

Tourist Photos

Old 03-03-2014, 08:20 AM   #1025
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Very neat. I don't know what attracts us to the old equimpent. Just does I guess!

I see lots of the "dead tree graveyards" as well on some of my rides. Always kind of eerie! BOO!

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:41 AM   #1026
bomose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 970
Congratulations on the retirement. I tell my friends my retirement home will be a pine box. I have always loved your thread. I know you like to repel into the slot canyons. I would like to do that, but am a little too old. Are there any good ones around that we could hike onto? Barbara and I have done Willis Creek off Skutumpah Road. Any others? By the way, Skutumpah is a fun ride.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:48 PM   #1027
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
I'm glad - and a little jealous - to see you are enjoying retirement.

That grader looks like a newer, motorized version of the Adams Leaning Wheel Grader near Toroweap.
Thanks, Dave6253. StG and I looked for the motor on our "new" Adams Motor Grader, but couldn't find one. Did see a hitch in front. Appeared as if the grader should be pulled??? Will have to go back and check it our more closely, perhaps with someone who knows something about equipment.

Just reviewed your Grand Canyon Backcountry Discovery RR. That was as awesome trip. Lots of inspiration for smaller 2-3 day trips. If I go mid-week the family might not even notice I'm gone.

For any lurkers or noobs . . . if you haven't checked out Dave6253's ride reports . . . you're missing out on some of the very best ADV has to offer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral View Post
Very neat. I don't know what attracts us to the old equimpent. Just does I guess!
Thanks, Admiral. I think I may have "stolen" the tree graveyard comment from you, a long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomose View Post
Congratulations on the retirement. I tell my friends my retirement home will be a pine box. I have always loved your thread. I know you like to repel into the slot canyons. I would like to do that, but am a little too old. Are there any good ones around that we could hike onto?
Thank you, bomose. Don't sell yourself short on simple, little rappels. A bit of practice and you'd be ready for Subway, Orderville, or Keyhole. If you are looking just for a walk in a slot canyon, try the upper part of Pine Creek, just above the long tunnel in Zion. Some info and a few pics in Post #597. Park your car at the Zion Canyon Overlook, an immediate right turn into the small parking lot at the top of the tunnel. Drop down the short hillside and then walk upstream as far as time and energy allow. Lots of excellent off-trail exploring in this part of Zion.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:29 AM   #1028
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,800
RRR.

Just read your report on Elbow Canyon. We are planning to ride it in going from Mesquite to Toroweap in May. I was worried it might be torn up from rain. But it looks very doable.

We are going to do the Grand Canyon trip we did last year in reverse. So in your area we will be going from Cedar City to Alamo via Pennsylvania Canyon again.

Then down to Mesquite the next day.

Thanks again for that report.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:55 PM   #1029
dave6253
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,950
I don't see a motor on your newer grader either, but isn't that a drive shaft and rear differential?
Old 03-06-2014, 08:33 AM   #1030
ElleDubs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Be careful up on the Water Haul Road. You will be Electronicly Moniterd :-) Holy smokes I love that sign!!

Water Haul Rd

These pics are from March 2010. We were OK because we were not "moterized".

We did see that the graders were being used although there was nobody out there working when we rode through.

Water Haul Rd

The obligatory riding the grader shot
Water Haul Rd

Have you ridden to or found "Summer Camp" yet in that area? It has the same handwritten signs. Worth a trip.

Lovin' this thread as always.
ElleDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:35 PM   #1031
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleDubs View Post
Be careful up on the Water Haul Road. You will be Electronicly Moniterd :-) Holy smokes I love that sign!!

We did see that the graders were being used although there was nobody out there working when we rode through.

The obligatory riding the grader shot

Have you ridden to or found "Summer Camp" yet in that area? It has the same handwritten signs. Worth a trip.

Lovin' this thread as always.
Hey ElleDubs -- Fantastic post. Thanks!

One of the best signs ever. Agreed. Some very special spelling on that sign.

So cool to see the grader used recently. I would have guessed that it hadn't moved for years. Amazing pic!

Your leg muscles look strong in the "obligatory" grader shot. You must be a pretty good mountain biker.

Have not been to "Summer Camp" yet. Will have to find it. Thanks for the tip!

Enjoy your upcoming AZBDR trip! See you around.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:52 PM   #1032
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
I don't see a motor on your newer grader either, but isn't that a drive shaft and rear differential?
Yes - definitely looks like a drive shaft. But wow . . . the recent photo of the grader in use by ElleDubs . . . definitely being towed by the front hitch . . . with no motor in sight.

Did some googling of "Adams Grader" -- lots of info and cool images out there.

It appears as if the motor on some graders was a separate component that could have been detached. At any rate, we have some very interesting living history still being used on the AZ Strip.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:30 PM   #1033
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
RRR.

Just read your report on Elbow Canyon. We are planning to ride it in going from Mesquite to Toroweap in May. I was worried it might be torn up from rain. But it looks very doable.

We are going to do the Grand Canyon trip we did last year in reverse. So in your area we will be going from Cedar City to Alamo via Pennsylvania Canyon again.
Thanks, wbbnm. Always enjoy your Ride Reports. You guys cover a lot of great territory.

Elbow is steep and there are a few loose rocks in spots, but you won't have any problem . . . unless there is a big rain between now and May. Route is in good shape and looks quite stable.

Have not done Pennsylvania Canyon (near Elgin Schoolhouse in NV) . . . yet . . . it is on my list. These "retirement" projects are stacking up.

On the plus side . . . I did get out with StG today. He is teaching me all about being a "full-time slacker."

Our bikes in front of the Mount Trumbull Schoolhouse.

Just past the Bar 10 Ranch, heading south in Whitmore Canyon.

At the Whitmore Canyon Overlook looking upstream at the Colorado River.

StG getting ready to leave. Looking down river from the overlook.

Blue sky and sunshine returned for our side trip into Paws Pocket.

Short break after returning to the main road from Paws Pocket.

Excellent ride with lots of variety. Very scenic. A few more pics to follow. StG is a great "retirement" mentor . . . and he brings free lunch. Nice combo!

Old 03-07-2014, 03:30 AM   #1034
simbaboy
Lansing MBS

Oddometer: 606
StG and RRR

Is there a guberment office where one applies for this retirement gig? 'cause I am digging it.

I always enjoy your RR and pics. 'Stay Riding'!

Simba
simbaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:53 AM   #1035
FamilyRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Here is a video of one of those graders in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFItzeUPwYw

I wonder if the drive axle uses the wheels to drive a power take off unit for accessories????