User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2014, 03:30 AM   #1036
simbaboy
Lansing MBS

Oddometer: 576
StG and RRR

Is there a guberment office where one applies for this retirement gig? 'cause I am digging it.

I always enjoy your RR and pics. 'Stay Riding'!

Simba
simbaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:53 AM   #1037
FamilyRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Here is a video of one of those graders in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFItzeUPwYw

I wonder if the drive axle uses the wheels to drive a power take off unit for accessories????
Old 03-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #1038
ringokelly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Hey guys, where is Paws Pocket and Whitmore canyon?? Looks very cool and would love to try that ride!
Old 03-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #1039
FamilyRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringokelly View Post
Hey guys, where is Paws Pocket and Whitmore canyon?? Looks very cool and would love to try that ride!
I don't know about Paws Pocket, but Whitmore Canyon is due south of the Bar 10 Ranch near the Mt Trumbull schoolhouse. I would love to do a ride from Hurricane (or St George) to Whitmore, then over Mt Trumbull to Toroweap, and camp there. Then either out to the highway at Colorado City, or take dirt back to Hurricane via the Honeymoon trail. But I don't have enough fuel range for that loop.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:50 AM   #1040
ringokelly
Adventurer

I want to check out Whitmore canyon, looks very cool. Several of us did most of the loop you describe (except the Whitmore piece) last spring and it was a great time. We did not camp but it was a full day of riding. I carried a galloon of gas as well as a liter and had plenty left over as we rolled into Colorado City. That was on my KLX though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyRider View Post
I don't know about Paws Pocket, but Whitmore Canyon is due south of the Bar 10 Ranch near the Mt Trumbull schoolhouse. I would love to do a ride from Hurricane (or St George) to Whitmore, then over Mt Trumbull to Toroweap, and camp there. Then either out to the highway at Colorado City, or take dirt back to Hurricane via the Honeymoon trail. But I don't have enough fuel range for that loop.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #1041
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Whitmore Canyon Overlook

Hey Simba, FamilyRider, and RingoKelly -- Nice to see you guys. Thanks for stoppin' by.

More pics from the ride with StG to Whitmore Canyon Overlook. Here's the map:

We hauled ass to get 70 miles south to the Mount Trumbull Schoolhouse. Gravel and dirt highway (unless there is mud ). BLM route #1069 and County Highway 5. Leave pavement at the River Road exit off the new Southern Parkway. Immediately enter Arizona on dirt/gravel. Gain elevation as you head south. This is scenic (vast), but we wanted to save our time for the section south of the Schoolhouse.

The round trip is 180 miles. You could probably buy gas from "Uncle Ned" at the Bar 10 Ranch if necessary, but best to be self-sufficient. Paws Pocket is just a short detour (less than 2 miles), but the "road" is rough. Lots of black lava. The road to Bar 10 is fine. South of Bar 10 the road degrades considerably. Much slower and rockier for the descent to the Whitmore Canyon Overlook. Tougher road than Toroweap. Well worth it. Excellent views of the Colorado River.

Arriving at the schoolhouse.

StG grabs this pic of me. He's a great guy to ride with . . . but we have to work a bit on his camera skills . . . just a bit crooked. Doesn't matter. StG makes up for it by bringing free lunch. Subway sandwiches.

Checking out the local history inside the schoolhouse.

Sign. The schoolhouse is always unlocked. You could sleep inside if you were caught in a jam.

We go south towards Bar 10 and Whitmore Canyon. Most of the "traffic" at this 4-way intersection heads east over Mount Trumbull towards Toroweap.

It gets more scenic the further south you go. The road is "good" all the way to Bar 10, although not quite as fast. More turns, twists, and dips. Good riding.

Going south we drive past the Bar 10 Ranch. Wanted to protect our time for the overlook. But we did stop briefly at the Whitmore International airport.

BLM route #1045. Entering Grand Canyon Parashant National Monument.

Down through the black lava rocks and we arrive at the Whitmore Canyon Overlook point. Looking upstream at the Colorado River.

And downstream. There is a hiking path down to the river, but we'll save this for another day. During the summer rafting season this area receives many more visitors. It is common for raft trips to end at this spot on the river. There is a helicopter transfer back to the Bar 10 Ranch. Guests fly in and out of the Whitmore International Airport. Some people start a shorter raft trip here, about 5 days down to Lake Mead with some smaller rapids. All the big ones are upstream from here. Excellent views of the river. Much lower than Toroweap, but still a long ways down to the river.

My bike with the river view. StG always cautions me not to park to close to the edge. One big gust of wind and I be pleading with him for a ride back to the Bar 10 Ranch.

Sign explaining the Whitmore Canyon lava flow. Very easy to "see" all this geologic history.

I take an "artistic" shot while StG gets our sandwiches for us.

Getting ready to leave. StG had the rotopax as a "back-up" . . . his WRR is the super tanker version. Don't think he even used half of his range on the out and back trip. Guess he was carrying the Rotopax in case we got sidetracked to Kelly Point, Twin Point, and Whitney Pockets, going home via Mesquite? That will be a different trip.

Looking back as we start to head back towards Bar 10. This section is very scenic. And the lava flow areas aren't bad. They just aren't fast.

More scenery with StG on the supertanker.

We take the short detour into the Paws Pocket area. This road quickly gets rougher. No maintenance. Not sure I'd recommend this for "bigger" bikes. We both did fine, but there were a few spots that definitely got our attention.

The sign. As StG said, "Those Boy Scouts are everywhere." Spelling is either Pa's Pocket or Paws Pocket.

The cabin.

Inside. If this was in Death Valley, it would "famous" . . . on all the tour stops. Not much tourist activity 100 miles from pavement on the AZ Strip.

My father-in-law still has chairs at his kitchen table that are very similar. Same vintage.

Old equipment beside the cabin.

We work our way back to the "main" road. The short side trip to Paws Pocket is worthwhile. There are good camping spots just off the main road. One could easily walk the short rough stretch to the cabin if you didn't want to ride your GSA supertanker down a few rough, loose, ledgy bits.

Beautiful late afternoon light. We had a bit of cloud cover during the time we at the Colorado River overlook. Very small threat of rain, but everything passed without a drop. Will have to go back to the overlook when there are blue skies and white clouds. The late afternoon was perfect!

StG enjoying the view as we head back towards Whitmore Airport and Bar 10.

We ended up stopping at Bar 10 and socializing with "Uncle Ned" for 30 minutes. Nice guy. Water is available to passersby, and they would always sell gas to anyone in need. Probably regular, not premium. If you want a "cushy" place to stay, Bar 10 would certainly provide a unique experience deep on the AZ Strip. No other place like it.

Fun riding brings us back to the schoolhouse.

StG gives the signal. 70 miles of gravel highway back to pavement. We arrive back in town just at dusk. Perfect timing. Another good day "in the office" with StG. This retirement gig isn't too bad.

Thanks for riding along. Rubber side down. Thanks for all the comments. Stay safe out there.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976

RedRockRider screwed with this post 03-08-2014 at 12:35 PM
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:54 PM   #1042
KICKNBACK
Over The Bars Club

Oddometer: 54
Group Ride

Hey RRR that would make a great group ride.
Let us know if your going to do it again a little in advance so us out of staters can make it up
I would love to get some of that red dirt on the WR.

"My brain still thinks my body is 20 years old"
KICKNBACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:32 PM   #1043
StG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
It's nice having a fellow slacker to go out & ride with anytime! Welcome to the club R3.

Here are some pics of R3 enjoying retirement out at the Virgin river gorge.

Thinking he made the right decision...

...and a little FYYFF to all the working stiffs out there.
StG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:12 AM   #1044
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Just sold my CRF250L. No dirt for a time, while I get my garage built. When I'm ready again, I'm thinking TW200. If you hear of any, let me know.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #1045
ringokelly
Adventurer

Whitmore

RRR and Tae, thanks for the Whitmore report. Did not realize it was *down the road* from Toroweap.....I'd like to try it. Looks like a great day to ride. I'll be down soon, so let plan to hook up. My ride ledger is way too thin
Old 03-09-2014, 09:37 PM   #1046
deserteagle56
deserteagle56

Oddometer: 41
It must be an early spring in the Strip. I've been down to the Whitmore river overlook several times, always in May. A couple times the section of road from the Mt Trumbull schoolhouse down to near the Bar 10 was but a mass of deep muddy ruts and I was glad my bike was in the back of the van. I would not have wanted to ride those ruts of gumbo mud on two wheels!
A couple miles north of the Bar 10 there is a road that would save some miles if heading over the mountain to Toroweap Valley. It goes up through Hell's Hollow and over the shoulder of Mt Logan and comes out on the road leading to the Nankoweap petroglyph site. A really scenic ride but kind of rough in spots - wouldn't recommend it for big bikes.
deserteagle56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:32 AM   #1047
Superhawk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Great photos !
Superhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #1048
StiffCheddar
n00b with a dream

Oddometer: 7
As always, nice RR! I'm moving to the St. George area in a couple of months, can't wait to explore all these areas.
StiffCheddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:24 PM   #1049
StG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
A little late notice, but I think ringokelly & I are going to do elbow canyon on Friday @noon. PM me if anyone's interested.
StG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:14 AM   #1050
telejojo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
It looks to me like Utah is DS heaven........................