Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2014, 06:13 PM   #1066
AdvRich
Parallel Reality

Oddometer: 1,560
Excellent pics! Very cool your dad making the hike too. . Last time I was there some years back, we got about half way up Walter's Wiggles before we turned back due to the ice and snow and no crampons/snowshoes. Nice post, thanks.
AdvRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:05 PM   #1067
bomose
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,116
We did Angels Landing a few years ago. Fantastic!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:22 AM   #1068
riverflow
Adventurous Commuter

Oddometer: 724
Since y'all like hiking so much, you need to check out the Rae Lakes Loop in the Sierras. It's a little ways away, but the sierras are absolutely worth it, plus there's a lot of good riding to be had along the way.

Unfortunately, these pictures don't even do it justice. You have to go surround yourself with this scenery to get the full effect.

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes" ~ Billy Connolly.
riverflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:11 AM   #1069
WDG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
OT: Joe's Guide to Zion National Park

BTW, for those who don't know about Zion, one of my favorite sites on it is Joe's Guide to Zion National Park. It includes guides to the trails and some very nice photography.

Choosing a ride is much too personal to be left entirely to comparisons of spec sheets.
WDG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:51 PM   #1070
stickman1432
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
Went to Zion today on the Beemer. It was nice with a temp in the area of 67-69 degrees, but today was the last day to ride in the canyon without taking a shuttle that starts tomorrow. Saw about 15 other bikes and a ton of cars parking on the road.

Sorry no photos.

R1200GS-08', WR250R-08'
XR650R-03', 110 Honda-83'
stickman1432 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:02 PM   #1071
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta650 View Post
Wondering if anyone knows the riding conditions to Mt Trumbull , Ten bar,Toroweep ? Too early,muddy? Might be out there in a week or so and would love to check that area out ,Thanks
I'm wondering also?
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:06 AM   #1072
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta650 View Post
Wondering if anyone knows the riding conditions to Mt Trumbull , Ten bar,Toroweep ? Too early,muddy? Might be out there in a week or so and would love to check that area out ,Thanks
AZ Strip should be dry. It has been a light snow year and there have already been some warm temps. Went to Whitmore Canyon several weeks ago (Post #1041) and roads were totally dry. This does not cover the "highest" part of the western AZ Strip (over Mount Trumbull), but there are other ways to get to Toroweap (straight south from Colorado City). The road over Mount Trumbull is higher elevation and covered with large pine trees which prevent sunlight from drying out the mud . . . but I doubt if there is enough moisture to create problems. The area around the Toroweap Overlook will be dry. I would expect smooth sailing. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDG View Post
BTW, for those who don't know about Zion, one of my favorite sites on it is Joe's Guide to Zion National Park. It includes guides to the trails and some very nice photography.
Second the "Joe's Guide to Zion" Excellent text and photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman1432 View Post
Went to Zion today on the Beemer. It was nice with a temp in the area of 67-69 degrees, but today was the last day to ride in the canyon without taking a shuttle that starts tomorrow. Saw about 15 other bikes and a ton of cars parking on the road.

Sorry no photos.
No photos . . . Good move to take advantage while able to ride into the main canyon. Looking for pics next time.

Thanks for all the comments . . . Mr Head, Hoot Gibson, WDG, Firebolt, shasta650, AdvRich, bomose, riverflow, stickman1432, Bob . . . ride safe out there. Ride often.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:10 AM   #1073
Hoot Gibson
Banned

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post

. . . Mr Head, Hoot Gibson, WDG, Firebolt, shasta650, AdvRich, bomose, riverflow, stickman1432, Bob . . . ride safe out there. Ride often.
Good Stuff RRR...finally got the new 2014 tw200 in the stable....the weather is breaking for a few days{ending tomorrow with more rain moviing in} but at least I got it out for a few miles...now for some warm{er} weather in Ohio and some off roading to come....

thanks for your photos and stories...helps the long Midwest Winter go by a bit smoother

A beautiful bike ,ain't she? Almost don't want to get her dirty....but I will :)
Hoot Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:31 AM   #1074
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,542
Pretty new bike Hoot!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:40 PM   #1075
Vikingtazz
Will ride for food.

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman1432 View Post

Sorry no photos.
Got you covered Stickman - I was there last week, weather was beautiful.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709349
Vikingtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:16 PM   #1076
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,073
OK, I've been watching this thread and drooling. We are about to head out from Montana for parts south (barring any MORE technical difficulties) in about a week. Traveling in a 32' MH towing the Jeep YJ. I know, it sickens me that I won't have a 2 wheeled dirt unit this trip, but then the dogs can all come along in the Jeep (along with Mom of course). Just slower average speed.

Question? Any good suggestions for parking a Class A rig and wandering the country side by Jeep in those parts? No problem dry camping as long as the access for the MH is good. We'll be hitting regular RV parks every few days as laundry etc. dictates. Our thought is to meander to the St. George area then east possibly as far as Albuquerque and back to God's North country for the rest of the riding season. Moab is in the mix as well.
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:44 PM   #1077
utahbiller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Hurricane, UT is a good home base

Willowwind RV park is a good one and people camp in Warner Valley. You can drive (carefully) a rig out past the Hurricane Airport and set up then ride. The other end of the road (the Saint George end) has deep sand over the road often.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:50 PM   #1078
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by utahbiller View Post
Willowwind RV park is a good one and people camp in Warner Valley. You can drive (carefully) a rig out past the Hurricane Airport and set up then ride. The other end of the road (the Saint George end) has deep sand over the road often.
Thanks big time. The park looks good and we can reposition based on a day or two of rambling around should something look interesting.

Ron

PS, I see in your profile you have a Combat Wombat in your past. I have one in the shed waiting for restoration.
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:39 AM   #1079
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,696
Father & Son pic.

I hope you've got that pic framed and hanging on a wall in the house somewhere! Fantastic.

Southern California from a scooter;
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=941261
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:34 PM   #1080
acidman1968
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Excellent pics of Zion, RRR!

Mrs. Acid and I were down in St George visiting my folks during Spring Break. We made the drive up Zion Canyon on the second-to-last day of private vehicle access until the fall. It was a windy day, and after lunch, the rain set in and hit the place pretty hard. Unfortunately we were only able to spot one rain induced waterfall.

Some day I hope to drag the bike down there over a Spring Break or perhaps UEA Weekend in the fall.

By the way, if that little Mexican restaurant in Veyo is still in business, give it a try! We hit that place up last fall, and the food was excellent! It's a husband & wife team making their family recipes.
acidman1968 is offline   Reply With Quote