Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2014, 06:21 AM   #1126
Hoot Gibson
Banned

Oddometer: 296
good Stuff RRR....bet they could all use a cold or two after that....makes me ache just looking at it, and I'm in pretty good shape{for 65}.
Hoot Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:13 AM   #1127
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 999
RRR...Great pictures. So much scenery around here. Today we will take a Jeep run towards Toroweap. We''ll see how far the wifey wants to go. Taking camping gear should we decide to stay the night.

We are here.

Ron

Smith Mesa:
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:51 PM   #1128
DirtyJohnny
BR 549

Oddometer: 114
Ironman

RRR,

Great pics. Very nice of you to volunteer your time for the Ironman! PM you later. Have to drain the 7 month old fuel from the 950 tomorrow. Runs, but making popcorn popping sounds thru akropovics. Fuel was treated. F'en ethanol!!!!!!!!!!!!! Though Harley is "good to go"
DirtyJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:47 PM   #1129
BluesCruiser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Great pics and writing, RRR!! Glad I found this thread as I am going to be riding in your neck of the woods...or rather "rocks" in stead of "woods"...next week. I'm hoping to ride Salina down to 12 if it is open and maybe duck down to Jacob Lake.
BluesCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:10 PM   #1130
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Elbow Canyon

Did this ride about 10 days ago with RingoKelly. Here's the map. South out of St. George, then west on #1004 to the top of Elbow Canyon, down to Mesquite. Lunch. Frontage road south of I-15 to Littlefield, then dirt to the Cedar Pockets exit on I-15 in the Virgin River Gorge. From the Black Rock Road exit it is easy to follow dirt on the north side of I-15 to SunRiver which is the southern edge of St. George.

Thought RingoKelly might be on his sweet orange machine . . . but that is up north waiting for some single-track possibilities to open up. Can't go wrong with green. Overall and excellent ratio of fun + performance vs. cost + hassle.

Stopped the bikes for a moment to enjoy the view heading up Black Rock Mountain.

Old cabin near the top of Elbow Canyon at the junction of #1004 and #1299.

All smiles. RingoKelly enjoying the amenities. Always a good riding partner!

We stop to explore the abandoned homestead high in Elbow Canyon.

Big views down to Mesquite.

After lunch we go work our way north and find the dirt road that cuts into the middle of the Virgin River Gorge at Cedar Pockets. This is a good way to minimize travel on I-15.

The sign.

And the scenery.

Back down to I-15 at Cedar Pockets.

After a sweet section of dirt on the north side of I-15 from Black Rock Road exit up to Sun River we part ways. RingoKelly and I live in different parts of St. George. On my way back home I make a quick detour to the airplane arrow above Bloomington. Kind of a little airplane salute to another good ride with RingoKelly. See you next time.

Final pic of my license plate. It cracked in half early in the ride. Simple replacement with Utah DMV, $10.

Thanks inmates for riding along. Appreciate all the positive comments. Keep the rubber side down.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:01 AM   #1131
Hoot Gibson
Banned

Oddometer: 296
The Pics just keep getting better....Damn makes me want to head out west for a week or two!
Hoot Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:28 AM   #1132
ringokelly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Fun!

RRR that was a great ride and as usual, thanks for letting me tag along and even buying me lunch at Betty Sue's diner in Mesquite!
That was a great ride with some good challenges. Beautiful up top in the pines....one of my favorite rides. And love the airplane salute!

See ya in a few weeks!
Old 05-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #1133
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansfel View Post
RRR...Great pictures. So much scenery around here. Today we will take a Jeep run towards Toroweap. We''ll see how far the wifey wants to go. Taking camping gear should we decide to stay the night.

We are here.

Ron
Hey Ron -- Clicked on your SPOT a few times. See you spent the night at Toroweap and made a nice circle. Did you check out that outhouse with the view? Hope Mrs. Wansfel enjoyed that part of the trip.

Good call to pick up the Benchmark Maps. The Desert Rat is one of the local canyoneering stores, easily located in the center of town. Looks like you had good ride up on Smith Mesa. Easy, convenient, great views of Zion, and relatively empty. No crowds up there.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:50 PM   #1134
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
Hey Ron -- Clicked on your SPOT a few times. See you spent the night at Toroweap and made a nice circle. Did you check out that outhouse with the view? Hope Mrs. Wansfel enjoyed that part of the trip.

Good call to pick up the Benchmark Maps. The Desert Rat is one of the local canyoneering stores, easily located in the center of town. Looks like you had good ride up on Smith Mesa. Easy, convenient, great views of Zion, and relatively empty. No crowds up there.
RRR Thanks for monitoring. Since we are traveling essentially solo, its good to know someone is watching. It was a great trip. It looks like in September they will be requiring reservations at the Toroweap campground for al sites, not just the group sites. Also, no fires or charcoal barbeque starting at that time. Had a good chat with the volunteer ranger.

Fantastic country and roads for DS bikes. I could see coming back. You can cover so much more terrain than on four wheels.

Thanks for tidbits about this fantastic country.

Ron

Old 05-06-2014, 08:38 AM   #1135
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Yeeh Haaaah... Keep the reports & pic's coming...
Old 05-06-2014, 04:16 PM   #1136
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Big Bikes - Gunlock, Old 91, Mesquite, VRG

Every day is a good day for a ride. Sunny and windy around St. George today. Our loop is Veyo, Gunlock, Old 91 to Mesquite, and back up the Virgin River Gorge to St. George. Good ride.

At Gunlock Reservoir with Dirty Johnny (right) and his bro-in-law. Both St. George guys, but "details" in life keep them other places as well. All good.

On the back side of the Utah Hill. My bike is the slow, inexpensive white one on the left.

Good riding with you guys . . . 'till next time.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:16 AM   #1137
DirtyJohnny
BR 549

Oddometer: 114
Street Ride 5-6-14

[IMG][/IMG]
RRR, Great Ride! Sorry to cut it short. Looking forward to the next one.
DirtyJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:43 PM   #1138
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Open Invite, Dual Sport Ride, Friday, 9 am

Sorry for the last minute post, but perhaps there is an inmate or lurker who would like to join.

Friday, May 9th, Open Invite for Dual Sport Ride. Meet-up at Egg & I restaurant. Corner of Bluff and Sunset in parking lot of Sunset Corner. Breakfast at 9 am. Leave for ride just after 9:30 am. Any/all dual sport bikes welcome. Will determine route based on participants.

Easy options for short rides, 1-2 hours (perhaps Joshua Tree Scenic Backway) with extensions possible towards Mesquite or perhaps north towards Enterprise.

Post up or PM if you plan on joining. Bfast at ~9 am; kickstands up at ~9:30 ish.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:31 PM   #1139
bomose
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
Let's see, if I leave right now, 1700 miles. Hmmm.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:52 PM   #1140
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

RRR, If only I could. We are on the road again. Sitting in Page, AZ for the night. Going through Monument Valley then a couple days at Moab. Time to head towards home.

If you or any others ever need any riding hints or any assistance western Montana way, please give a shout. (Planning a big one in late July.)

Ron