Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2014, 10:24 PM   #1156
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleDubs View Post
Anyone want to go for a dual sport ride on Saturday? I'm thinking out to Cougar Pass or maybe Yellow Horse flat. Or maybe we can go find summer camp. I'd have to dig up a GPS file to find that place again in the maze of roads out there. Day trip with a lunch stop but not anything epic. My ribs are healing nicely :-)
Hi ElleDubs,

Thanks for the "heads up." I can't go on Saturday. We are hosting a backyard swim party for my son and 28 of his closest friends. Should be organized chaos!

If any inmates or lurkers are available . . . send a PM to ElleDubs. She'll organize a good ride. Plus more fun than StG, DirtyJohnny, or Ringokelly. . .

Just back from an overnight trip to Pioche with my dad. Plus organizing a few pics from a ride earlier in the week with StG and pdxcajun.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:20 PM   #1157
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Silver Reef and Zion with pdxcajun and StG

Earlier this week had the chance for a good ride with pdxcajun and StG. Here's pdxcajun with his bike. He's wandering the country between Louisiana and Oregon in his van with his bike . . . just the kind of guy you want to meet on the internet. Mrs. RRR was pleased that StG was along on this ride . . . "At least you have one 'real' friend who might not be psycho." I assured Mrs. RRR - what could possibly go wrong. The guy is just living in his van . . .

We had a good day. Fresh snow on Pine Valley Mountain. Perhaps the last snowfall of the season. Took the back way from MotoZoo up to Silver Reef.

Little tribute to Baldy and his website. Fine way to meet guys with motos who live in their van.

StG riding sweep. Excellent. Apparently Mrs. StG doesn't worry if her man meets up with guys who live in vans. She must be used to his risk-taking behavior . . . as long as the life insurance premiums are all paid up.

We stop to check out one of the local slot canyons. Pdxcajun enjoying southwest Utah scenery.

Our bikes on the road to Silver Reef.

The center of historic Silver Reef.

Old foundations and wall with quite a few nice, newer homes nearby.

Stop in the center of town near the historic Wells Fargo Bank building. Since pdxcajun is new in town we are hitting a few of the tourist spots, of course, linking them together with some good dual sport riding.

Old equipment.

And the sign. Silver Reef, Leeds, and Harrisburg are all easily accessible from St. George. Lots of small-scale exploring at your fingertips.

Mining headframe. Town of Silver Reef has recently upgraded the site to prevent erosion. Good protection of historic resources. Makes a nice destination for inmates.

StG and pdxcajun by the "famous" chess piece on top of the Leeds Hill, visible from I-15 if you know where to look.

After driving by Quail Reservoir and food and gas in Hurricane we head up to Smith Mesa -- Flying Monkey territory. Beautiful views of Zion with fresh green pasture land.

Our bikes. Good riding up on Smith Mesa. Dirt roads only had a few "soft" spots. Would have been muddy a few days earlier. Excellent spring conditions!

View of the West Temple.

We enter Zion the back way, near the Kolob Reservoir Road.

StG and pdxcajun out front enjoying the views.

We hit the Kolob Reservoir Road and take the pavement up several thousand feet to Kolob Reservoir. Cold and windy. Still feels like winter up at 8,000 ft plus. Road is clear, but there is still some snow along the edges. Would not venture past Kolob Reservoir on dirt to even higher elevations quite yet.

Here's the pic at the reservoir. Water level is very low. Not good for this time of year. Beautiful views all the way back down. We make one quick stop near the end of the Subway hike to BS for minute with people coming out. Cold water, but excellent conditions. Subway is on the "to do" list again this summer.

Back down low. Pic of the Virgin River from Sheep's Bridge Crossing. Smith Mesa (Flying Monkey Mesa) on the right.

Desert scenery in late afternoon light. Best time of the day.

Final pic. StG offers me the salute for another good day of riding. Hey . . . always a pleasure. 'Till next time.

Nice riding with you pdxcajun. Glad you had a good trip. Come back to southwest Utah when you need to escape the rain of the Pacific Northwest. And keep on the good side of Mrs. pdxcajun . . . or just might be sleeping in that van on a full-time basis.

Thanks for all the comments and PMs. Keep the rubber side down.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:39 PM   #1158
pdxcajun
Fish'n and ride'n

Oddometer: 3
RRR & StG,
What a fabulous grand finale to a 2 month, 9300 mile odyssey. It was a wonderful day with varied surfaces, terrain, views, elevations, and temperatures. I feel that I just got a taste of what the area has to offer and I'll definitely be back down there. Next time, I'll spend a few more days in the area and try some of your posted rides.
Thanks again for putting up with an old fart. Great meeting both of you.

pdxcajun
pdxcajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:07 PM   #1159
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,873
I am definitely planning a trip come the end of summer and my silly season. I really like the looks of that riding.
The state of Utah should be paying you for your gas at least if not your internet connection.
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:25 PM   #1160
DirtyJohnny
BR 549

Oddometer: 117
Cry

RRR, Great pics! Looks like you are having a fantastic time with your internet friends. Nice to see more inmates exploring with you.

Mr. Head, Great Robert Earl keen quote! Was going to see him at the Grizzly Rose in Denver last month, but he broke his leg.
DirtyJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:30 PM   #1161
StG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleDubs View Post
Anyone want to go for a dual sport ride on Saturday? I'm thinking out to Cougar Pass or maybe Yellow Horse flat. Or maybe we can go find summer camp. I'd have to dig up a GPS file to find that place again in the maze of roads out there. Day trip with a lunch stop but not anything epic. My ribs are healing nicely :-)
Sounds like a fun ride! We can even crash R3's pool party afterwards.
StG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:45 PM   #1162
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StG View Post
Sounds like a fun ride! We can even crash R3's pool party afterwards.
Yeah . . . all you inmates are welcome to join the pool party. Come by around 8 pm. Pool water should be nice and warm by that time . . . and I mean really warm . . . after all the 12-year olds have been in the pool for a few hours sucking down on Gatorades, never bothering to get out to go to the bathroom. Come on by and enjoy a nice warm soak. You're an inmate, your special, you deserve it.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:33 AM   #1163
ElleDubs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Meeting at Sunriver/I-15 exit at 8:30am for a trip up and around Seegmillar and West Mesa. Last time I was up there I had 8 wild horses galloping along with me.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:00 PM   #1164
ElleDubs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
While RRR was partying at the pool, he invited us to post our ride today on his thread - thx for sharing RRR I hope you had fun!!

I'll try and keep it in theme and start with a map. We started at the Sun River/I-15 exit, headed east along SoUT Parkway and exited off River Rd south onto the dirt. Then we cut over past Little Black Mountain to Sunshine Trail Rd. Not long after that we hit a maze of roads and StG wondered where I was leading him!

First stop was the Glitter Pit

Next stop was at this contraption. Any guesses to what this is? StG might post a pic later with a hint

At this same stop there was a large water tank. I peeked over the rim of the tank to see if there was any water in it. There was but it was very green. Then a head turned on the surface of the water and two very big yellow eyes opened and stared at me. I let out a girl scream!! There was an owl in the water a few feet from my face! I hope StG posts a better pic of his big yellow eyes. They were beautiful.

We didn't know what to do. His feathers were all wet and many were missing. He was in a sad way balancing on some weeds. We found a plank and put it in the water under the weeds and lifted him up out of the water. He looked very weak and it was very hot and dry outside the tank. We left him a little drier than we found him but still in the tank. It wasn't looking good for him - sad.

StG in Seep Spring Canyon

On top of Seegmillar the Globemallows were going off.

Globemallow carpets on the mountain.

Cliffs on the back side of Seegmillar Mountain

The road on West Mesa gets a little thin at times. StG was wondering again about my chosen route. He noted I like the rocky roads He was so I think he likes them too

Ride stats: 20.5 mph moving average speed!

ElleDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:43 PM   #1165
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hey ElleDubs & StG,

Very nice post, ElleDubs. I'm just out of the pool and enjoying your pics. The orange flowers look spectacular. Full bloom. I've only been up on the backside of Seegmiller Mountain a few times. Some of that is a bit sketchy and loose, at least the way I remember it. Too bad about the owl, not a good way to go for him.

Ok, what is that contraption? Waiting on a few more clues . . .

See you guys soon, RRR

Old 05-18-2014, 09:25 AM   #1166
StG
Gnarly Adventurer

Seegmiller loop

Here's the poor guy when we found him. Not sure how he got there, but there was a dead bird floatin in the water as well.

And after. Hopefully, he can dry off & get himself out.

And here's Elledubs demonstrating the contraption use!!!
Old 05-18-2014, 11:16 PM   #1167
StG
Gnarly Adventurer

Seegmiller loop

A couple more pics from Saturday's ride. Haha - you guys missed out on a really fun ride! Thanks Elledubs! I think it'd be a pretty close toss up as to who has ridden on more dirt roads/trails in southern utah - R3 or Elledubs.

At the start of the ride near little black mountain.

Turning off onto some of the less used tracks.

The Bundy family were out herding up their cattle...

...so Elledubs decides to help out & drive in a few wayward calves.

Some orange colored flowers in bloom

A couple scenic spots near Seegmiller peak

Heading back down...

Somewhere on west mesa/yellow horse flat maybe? Only Elledubs knows where we are at this point.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:40 PM   #1168
StG
Gnarly Adventurer

Pics from last week rides...

A motley crew overlooking the virgin river gorge

Ringokelly from the other side of the gorge

R3 showing PDXcajun where he'll take him on his next trip - yankee doodle canyon.

The high point on the turkey farm loop, before heading back down into Leeds.

The old Wells Fargo bank in Silver Reef

R3 climbing the headframe over the old mine shaft. Never mind the "Danger", "Stay Off", & "No Trespassing" signs.

On Smith Mesa with Zion in the background

R3 & PDXcajun up at Kolob reservoir
Old 05-19-2014, 11:53 AM   #1169
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Awesome as usual...

Enjoyed this action shot of the cattle oiler
mefadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:12 PM   #1170
simbaboy
Lansing MBS

Oddometer: 639
Nice RR and PICS!
Hey StG where is the new Orange KoolAid?
Imu
(Simba)

EDIT: Never mind, I saw several pics with it.

simbaboy screwed with this post 05-19-2014 at 10:10 PM
simbaboy is online now   Reply With Quote