Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2014, 08:20 AM   #1201
simbaboy
Lansing MBS

Oddometer: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
Was the Mountain Meadows Massacre site worth the trip?

I have it on my alternates list for trips thru that area, but I always forget to divert over there.
The journey and the companions make the trip. The destination is just that....!

Thanks and Be Well,
Simba
simbaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:09 PM   #1202
ringokelly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Who cares about Waldo...where's RRR?

Not sure how RRR pulls off playing 24/7 for months on end, but I hope when I grow up I get to do the same . Problme, is, I am closer to "The Box" than he is! I guess he is still off the grid, enjoying it. Good for him!

I was in St George over July 4th, (tried to ride with STG but couldn't hook up.) Hotter than hades anyway, so I felt I did not miss much. The day before I was going to head back north, I decided I wanted a quick ride up into the Pine Valley Mtns. Found a trail east of Silver Leaf that drops out into the Central area, NE of Washington. Kinda a cool ride. I left at 5am so I could miss the heat, but it was still around 75-80 at that time.

Got up into the mountains on my KLX and after the 40 minutes since I left home, I was hot and worked up enough I needed to take a nice, cool sip on my Camelback. I had filled the bladder and refrigerated it all night, so it would be nice a cool for my ride.

I took a nice BIG suck in the hose and was greeted with....a nice warm, nasty tasting, mouth full of 4 week old Gatorade/water mix that had been stuck sitting in the hose the previous 4 weeks that I had not used it. It was Fermented! I gagged but unfortunately I sucked it down the old windpipe.

4 hours later I was throwing up and did so for the next 2-3 hours. I guess a some nice little bacteria decided to make it's home in that hose during the previous HOT 4 weeks.

Lesson learned folks. Good to clean out the bladder, but even better to clean both the bladder AND the hose!
Old 07-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #1203
bbenn75820
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
Was the Mountain Meadows Massacre site worth the trip?

I have it on my alternates list for trips thru that area, but I always forget to divert over there.
Mountain Meadows massacre is an amazing story, sad story. One of the bad guys was Lee from " lee's ferry" Lee was caught and shot for his part in the massacre.
bbenn75820 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:37 AM   #1204
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbenn75820 View Post
Mountain Meadows massacre is an amazing story, sad story. One of the bad guys was Lee from " lee's ferry" Lee was caught and shot for his part in the massacre.
Thanks for the info about Mr. Lee.

I am familiar with the general story and it sounds interesting enough to want to see the site. Given the tensions back then, I was kind of surprised anybody was brought to justice.

I just haven't remembered or it has been inconvenient to run down there the couple of times we have been thru that way.
wbbnm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:46 AM   #1205
orion650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I grew up in St. George, went to Pine View High School. Too hot for me, not going back.
orion650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:57 AM   #1206
oldoval
Frank Orator

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion650 View Post
I grew up in St. George, went to Pine View High School. Too hot for me, not going back.
Uh, OK. Cool story.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:46 PM   #1207
notsofasteddie
Semi Slow Rider

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldoval View Post
Uh, OK. Cool story.

Got a chuckle out of that.

Hey thanks for the link to your picture gallery there oldoval! Very cool! I can figure out where most of the landscapes are taken, but not all. Great photos!

Ed
Page, AZ
Old 08-16-2014, 11:10 PM   #1208
Mesamuley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Come back soon RRR

Bump for an awesome thread. I hope you make it back to civilization soon RRR!

Went for an early morning ride from Hurricane to Colorado City and back, by way of the honeymoon trail and "the gap". Lots of fun!

Thanks for all of the great info contained here RRR!

Mesamuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:24 PM   #1209
KICKNBACK
Over The Bars Club

Oddometer: 126
Sure is quiet around here!

"My brain still thinks my body is 20 years old"

08 WR250r, 13 F800gs
KICKNBACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:00 PM   #1210
simbaboy
Lansing MBS

Oddometer: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by KICKNBACK View Post
Sure is quiet around here!
He will be back--just taking the Summer off to be with his family.
Simba
simbaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:27 PM   #1211
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,338
Back in St. George - End of Summer Vacation

Wow! I was out of St. George for most of the summer. Two big family vacations, Alaska and Greece. Also time in California. Best summer ever. Had a great time. Some of our best travel ever. This was my first retirement summer, so we did it right. Wife and son both had a great time also. Lots of excellent family memories being made!

Went totally off the grid for the time I was gone from St. George. If you can pull this off, I highly recommend it. Very good to focus 100% on who (family) and what (together time) is most important in life!

After I got back to St. George, I stayed off the grid (for the most part) for at least another month. After my son went back to school it was finally starting to feel like retirement. All good! Routines are now back re-established.

Also had the chance to do a few Zion canyons this summer. I'll get organized on a few pics shortly. Also have been on a few moto rides. Nothing spectacular. All local. But, every ride counts!

Really want to thank everyone who reached out to me. I received lots of messages from people . . . all wishing well and/or expressing concern. Thank you. Many messages came from friends/acquaintances, but many came from inmates at-large. So . . . thank you to everyone!

__________________________________________________ _____________________________

Here are a couple of pics from a few months ago . . . just as I was preparing to go "off the grid."

This was a B-day ride with SealSam, Simba, and StG. All three good buddies. I think that is the ADV salute from SealSam. Not sure about that signal from StG . . . Village People . . . Y-M-C-A ???

Simba . . . tearing it up on shores of Kolob Reservoir. This was the 2nd time we had a B-day ride together. Simba has now spent lots of time in Utah (from Michigan) and was an animal on the bike!

Stopped by this old school bus in the Brian Head area. This is my home-away-from-home, so I know most of the good spots. Brings back "Partridge Family" memories. Or the StG's favorite place to take his dates in high school.

Bike photo-op at High Mountain Meadow, looking towards Cedar Breaks. I think it took us three stops to get the bikes all lined up together. One person in our group needed lots of coaching in order to get with the program.

Our cast of characters. Good times. Thanks, guys.

Uh oh. Simba breaking out the duct tape under the watchful eye of StG. Second year in a row.
For a guy who drives some very expensive cars, organizes terrific trips for his whole family from Michigan to Utah, and buys nice dinners for everyone . . . you might think he'd have a bike that would complete a ride without duct tape . . .

The really sad part is that this bike was an "upgrade" from the bike he had the prior year. Both need some version of "help" to complete the trip. Sad and hilarious at the same time.

Ok. All fixed up . . . for the nth time. Sealsam and StG talking about who's turn it will be to help next. And, if I remember correctly . . . that is a shiny new white helmut that Sealsam is sporting!

Back underway. We pushed the little ADV-bikes hard on a good downhill run on I-15 from Cedar City back to St. George. Kind of fun passing the 18-wheelers with only 2 mph of extra passing speed. Full tuck very important.

If I recall, we had a nice dinner that night. StG may have picked up that tab. My turn next fellows! Pleasure riding with you guys. Keep in touch.

And one final pic of my son messing around in Zion Narrows about the time of this ride, June 2013.

We had a great summer together, almost all off-the-grid. I'll be back on ADV regularly now. Thanks again to everyone for your kind messages. Ride safely out there.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:37 PM   #1212
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,913
Cool2

And ... who are you, again??

Welcome back, we southern Utah junkies missed the fix.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:48 AM   #1213
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,703
Glad to have you back buddy.

Another great birthday ride with some wonderful friends, thanks again. And yes, turning 55 may have caused me to forget all my gear in SoCal, that's ok, I'm glad to contribute to the UT economy!

All my best to the family.

StG, RRR & Simbaboy

Southern California from a scooter;
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=941261
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:53 AM   #1214
buzzardair
Shrubbery Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Glad you had a great summer away with the family and are now back posting. I always enjoy the pics from Southern Utah. I am going to Moab the 16th thru 19th of Oct, come on by!
buzzardair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:40 AM   #1215
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,542
Bob is online now   Reply With Quote