Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2014, 09:21 AM   #1
Jamesmem OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
FREE E-Magazine Motorcycle Explorer

Hello all!

It's is the first copy of the magazine so please be gentle

It will work on cell phones, iPhone/pods/pads and Android.

That said, feedback and ideas to help improve the magazine is always very much appreciated. I'm happy to answer any questions and to help where I can.

I hope you enjoy the first copy and either subscribe (all still FREE and always will be) or help us to help you with ideas.

FREE MOTORCYCLE EXPLORER EMAG

Front Page

Thanks for your time and feedback.

Jamesmem screwed with this post 10-01-2014 at 10:06 AM
Jamesmem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:20 AM   #2
Mossy_Crk
Fallen over

Oddometer: 722
I'm in. I'll give it a read. Grats on getting to this point. I'm sure it's been a labor of love.
Mossy_Crk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:39 PM   #3
circusinthesky
SemperFidelisTyrannosaur

Oddometer: 328
Thanks for the link. Good content. Your font, banners, etc look a little dodgy. I only mention it from the perspective of appearing more polished, and thereby attracting more ad revenue. I'm not a graphics guy, so I can't recommend a solution, but here is a nicely laid out mag, with good polish, etc for comparison.
http://www.tonereport.com/issue34/

Good luck with the project!
circusinthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #4
circusinthesky
SemperFidelisTyrannosaur

Oddometer: 328
Oh, another request would be in-depth product reviews for off-road bikes, gear, etc. Even "places". Always nice to see how things work in the field, and they'll fill up a few pages.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:57 AM   #5
Jamesmem OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy_Crk View Post
I'm in. I'll give it a read. Grats on getting to this point. I'm sure it's been a labor of love.
It has indeed! and thanks for taking a read. Any questions then please let me know and any feedback is always welcome!
Old 08-04-2014, 05:03 AM   #6
Jamesmem OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by circusinthesky View Post
Thanks for the link. Good content. Your font, banners, etc look a little dodgy. I only mention it from the perspective of appearing more polished, and thereby attracting more ad revenue. I'm not a graphics guy, so I can't recommend a solution, but here is a nicely laid out mag, with good polish, etc for comparison.

Thanks for the feedback! I will take a look at the link, I was feeling the same about the cover but wanted the fonts simple for mobile/cell use. I'm also feeling some of the spreads should be more distributed - as in most of the content working white back with text and then at the back full pics with boxed text and colour. Even that out with a section for each to make it more visually pleasing.

I also want to make the content more global! Issue one feels rather 'British' and I'm looking to make it more on the touring side of the dual sport riding rather than the more extreme side ... still keep stories like selling your house but also couple that with tour operator stories and 'normal' rides to brilliant places to give it more depth.

Thanks again and anything else I can do to improve it then just let me know and I can certainly look at any aspects that will work more internationally.

Cheers

James
Old 08-04-2014, 06:45 AM   #7
Jamesmem OP
Adventurer

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback! I fully agree the cover looks 'pokey' there was an issue about use on cell phones and keeping the look more 'basic'. I will have a look at the link and move towards a more polished cover - I just don't want too much content on the cover due to a lot of it being read on phones...

I'm looking at the layouts too for issue 2 as I felt that there was too much picture backed box outs at the back and not enough through the front - looks a little lopsided?

I also want to move MEM more towards global issues as this one, on the small spot light stuff' is all 'British' geared rather than international.

Things to work on and thanks again for the feedback
Old 08-04-2014, 06:48 AM   #8
Jamesmem OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Oh, another request would be in-depth product reviews for off-road bikes, gear, etc. Even "places". Always nice to see how things work in the field, and they'll fill up a few pages.
More indeph I can do - the mag is not that focused on 'off road' in the way of tkc and deep mud - more along the gravel and tarmac exploration - places I can look at. You wanted more than was in the Romanian road? I'm sure we can look at getting more information out on things like that! :)

This is all brilliant stuff and thank you for taking the time to give feedback - very much appreciated.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:25 PM   #9
Jamesmem OP
Adventurer

A quick tweak :)

Jamesmem screwed with this post 10-01-2014 at 10:08 AM
Jamesmem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #10
pierce387
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Just checked it out great job on you're 1st issue , like mentioned a product test an review would be cool to see on parts an bike gear . thanks for the good new read
pierce387 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:10 PM   #11
Jamesmem OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce387 View Post
Just checked it out great job on you're 1st issue , like mentioned a product test an review would be cool to see on parts an bike gear . thanks for the good new read
Thank you! :) Very much appreciated and we have a LOT going on for issue 2 already. I will look at a range or spot light deal on a product review 'field' tested. It makes sense.

Cheers and please spread the word about the magazine if you would.

James
Old 08-06-2014, 04:52 PM   #12
Jamesmem OP
Adventurer

Quick update on the site :)

It seems that iPhone users could not see the html link, we have put a hypertext button that will show up for iUsers. We will look into this further in the morning.

Motorcycle Explorer Website
Old 08-10-2014, 01:45 AM   #13
Jamesmem OP
Adventurer

Just a little update about issue 2 due out in October -

We have rather a few more stories as word has caught on, this includes no less than four authors.

Graham Field of In Search of Greener Grass and Ureka - not sure why it's not spelt with an E, will have to ask him :) Graham will be heading up a regular column in the magazine (God help us all! ).

Norman Magowan of Adventures in Yellow, told in two books, Leprechauns in Latin America and Leprechauns in Alaska. Norman and his wife Maggie are both from Ireland and are rather small in stature, as you can guess from the titles.

Bob Goddard - Bob was a journalist for 20 years, many of them spent riding and writing for publications like Motor Cycle News, Motorcycle Mechanics and Motorcycling magazines. He is the author of Land of the Long Wild Road and Beyond Bucharest.

Last (at the moment) but by no means least MEM will have an extended extract from Antonia (Aka Ants) Blingbroke-Kents - Her articles have appeared in Wanderlust, The Guardian, Adventure Journal (USA), Verge (Canada) and Motorcycle Monthly, amongst others.
She's also appeared on numerous radio and TV shows, including Richard & Judy and Excess Baggage. In between travelling and writing she produces TV programmes for the BBC, Channel 4 and ITV.

Her book, A Short Ride in the Jungle recounts Ants' somewhat hair-raising solo motorbike mission down the remnants of the legendary Ho Chi Minh Trail in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia.

There will be more entries on the bikes and reviews and a review of the magazine layout ;)

The magazine remains FREE of charge as does making a subscription.

Happy to hear any feedback or suggestions ( keep it clean )

www.motorcycleexplorermag.com
Old 09-11-2014, 04:13 AM   #14
Jamesmem OP
Adventurer

Just a quick update and note of thanks just reached over 30,000 on the click views and thanks for all the wonderful feedback ... as you know this is a free enterprise for a free magazine based around touring and playing in the dirt and gravel.

Issue 2 now has 4 authors working on articles from 'what is overlanding all about' by Sam Manicom to riding around with time on your hands by Graham Field. With have some book excerpts from Antonia BK riding around Vietnam on a pink Honda C90 and review of kit that has been dragged arcross Russia and come back again in (rather dirty) but still functional bit!

The graphics have been very much improved - as has the texting layout!

Always looking for more content, so if you have a story or an idea then get in touch james@motorcycleexplorermag.com

Thanks again for the support and don't forget to subscribe to get an automatic update of new issues coming out - always FREE of charge :)

Cheers

James
Old 09-11-2014, 06:57 AM   #15
c4nuck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Great Content and good job Jamesmem. I'll admit I just skimmed through at work here, but overall, lots of good looking content and format. I can't wait to read through it all later.

The only thing that jumped out at me were the divider bars/header bars. For example, on page 16, the turqoise, and on page 94, the green text boxes are quite vivid, maybe toning those down would make for a more relaxing read.

Great Job
IBA #59085
BC-->TX-->Carribean
c4nuck is offline   Reply With Quote