Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
N-Duro OP
Canada/Germany

Oddometer: 6
Can't make up my mind... BMW, Honda, KTM or...?

First off I am new to the forum and bikeless. I live in Alberta, Canada, had a Yammi WR250 which I used for trail riding which was road legal but sucked big time on the Highway.
I will be moving to Germany soon and I am looking for a bike that I can use comfy for long trips. Autobahn, Alps, some dirt roads. And for commuting. Like with everything, I am on a budget. Looked online for Adventure bikes and can't make up my mind. I don't want anything too big and heavy as I liked how light the Yamaha was when I got stuck and had to pick her up.

Right in my price range
Honda Transalp XL700V
BMW G650GS
Honda NC 700x
Suzuki V-Strom 650

Little bit higher up there
KTM 990 Adventure
BMW G800GS

Any recommendations? My favorites in the list are the BMW and the Transalp, just going by looks and HP.
N-Duro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
Kennon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
the v-strom has the most power but its very heavy the NC700x is a good bike but its very lacklustre having a engine derived from a car good for mpg though,

the trans-alp and GS 650 are both very capable the BMW being better offroad being a lighter bike but both lack power as well I would suggest the BMW F800GS they are abit pricey but when bought used they normally come fully loaded with kit just for touring duties.

2009 Yamaha Jog 50RR LC sold 2011
2011 Rieju Marathon Pro 125 SM sold 2013
1990 Honda VFR 400 NC30 purchased 2013
Kennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
zig06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Move first

I wouldn't bother looking until I got there. A bike that may be awesome for you and where you are right now might suck big time out there. Your best bet is to save as much $$ as you can. Then once you figure out your ultimate ride, you can buy it "now", get all the gear so you can look the part and then it'll be adventure time!
zig06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
kristof-lars
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
kinda in the same situation based what im looking at the bmw f800 would be my choice but since ill be restricted where im going (australia) ill have to settle for a gs 650.
kristof-lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,374
I'd factor in dealer support before making the decision.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 615
I believe the F800 would cost more at the pump to fill up with the higher octane rating of the bikes you mentioned.
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:18 AM   #7
craigincali
Just hanging around

Oddometer: 1,816
IMO the Honda should not be on anyones list !...... See signature
craigincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:17 AM   #8
Bowser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Duro View Post
First off I am new to the forum and bikeless. I live in Alberta, Canada, had a Yammi WR250 which I used for trail riding which was road legal but sucked big time on the Highway.
I will be moving to Germany soon and I am looking for a bike that I can use comfy for long trips. Autobahn, Alps, some dirt roads. And for commuting. Like with everything, I am on a budget. Looked online for Adventure bikes and can't make up my mind. I don't want anything too big and heavy as I liked how light the Yamaha was when I got stuck and had to pick her up.

Right in my price range
Honda Transalp XL700V
BMW G650GS
Honda NC 700x
Suzuki V-Strom 650

Little bit higher up there
KTM 990 Adventure
BMW G800GS

Any recommendations? My favorites in the list are the BMW and the Transalp, just going by looks and HP.

Given that you are currently in Canada I wouldnt bother about what your dealer is like, as the distances you are currently used to for one dealer you will find a dozen or more within the same distance for just about any make, Duss is right in the middle of the Rhineland and bike dealerships are not in short supply.
If you have not been in Europe before then the autobahanns are going to be an eye opener!! Having lived in Germany and visited friends in the US and Canada the difference between freeway riding/driving and autobahann is a real shock. People drive VERY fast on the German system, a lot faster than you are used to, a bike that is happy keeping up will be much more fun, there is nothing worse than pottering about at low speed with vehicles going past at 140+ kph well actualy 200+ for a lot of them.
There is very little off roading in Germany, a bit of green lane but not what YOU would call off road trail riding, lots of very nice roads for riding on especially in places like the Eifle, Hartz mountains, Alps and Black forest, but you will be doing high speed runs to get you there, so somthing comfortable is a must.

There are lots of secondhand bikes about so finding what you want wont be difficult, but I would nail it down before you go and if you want any aftermarket parts then take them with you as stuff such as Corbin/Renzacco seats work out very expensive when you have to ship them, same goes for things like panniers, now I dont like Jessie's but if thats your thing they are over £1000 here so have a good think and if your deciding on a bike and the bit you may want take my advice and buy them now and bring them with you!!!
Other things I have had shipped over that work out much cheaper if you buy them over there, HDB handguards and switches, burns moto USB waterproof socket, Black Dog spotlight brackets, (havent got one yet but Rekluse Clutch).

As for advice on what bike well its a personal thing but remember you dont need to worry about how far you are from a gas station when your over here.
My personal taste is the 990 KTM, I did a couple of thousand mile trip round Black Forest and Rhine earlier this year and it was faultless, I like it as a compromise between green lane ability, touring, and comfort, I do have a renzaco seat but its the only extra I really NEEDED all the rest were want not need. It does the autobahnns no problem we went everywhere at about 130-140kph (odd trip up to 200) then did all the bendy bits in the forest and very sure footed at more modest speeds. But its your money and depends if the bike fits.
I find all the others you mention bar the transalp a bit small and cramped for me. but they are all competent, I wouldnt want to have the BM but thats just because I really hate the CANBUS electrical system.

Dont know that my advice is any good but there it is you asked for it.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:45 AM   #9
Kennon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
in regards to Octane the levels in Europe are mostly the same especially in western europe in the UK its 2 grades roughly 95 octane and then 97-99 octane

I've heard of 120 octane being available in France Switzerland border but most bikes are spec'd to the lower octane level a F800GS won't require 99 octane it might run better on it but still will be wasteful not being suited tot eh fuel properly

2009 Yamaha Jog 50RR LC sold 2011
2011 Rieju Marathon Pro 125 SM sold 2013
1990 Honda VFR 400 NC30 purchased 2013
Kennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:46 AM   #10
mbrick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
If you wait until you get there I think you will find prices and what is available to be different than NA. More KTM's for sure.

Then get a list of prices and revisit your list above.
mbrick is offline   Reply With Quote