User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2011, 09:34 PM   #136
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,258
Thanks for the help, Nicky!!

I'd been trying to figure out where to put the oil cooler and that will work out great.

Big push first thing in the morning, sailah!!

Weld some tabs on for the oil cooler, then I can strip it down for final welding and paint. With any luck I can start final assembly by tomorrow evening.

I'll build a fine mesh oil cooler guard during the week that will bolt on and we'll have major progress again. It's hard to believe all the hours I have into ordering parts and getting them right the first time, but I think I've done the needed work and I'm on track for a finish here soon.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:32 PM   #137
Augie_Dogie
Ride More; Post Less

Oddometer: 878

Augie_Dogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:06 PM   #138
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Got the oil cooler mounted, need to make a screen for it still...don't panic.

This is actually a good sign.

Just about done welding everything up and can't think of anything else that I need to hang off the frame, so paint will go on in the morning.

I built the headlight mount and trimmed the front fender to clear the oil cooler. Also cycled the front end to make sure the tire doesn't hit the oil cooler, it could in theory, but the sump will hit the ground about 4 inches before the tire gets to the cooler.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:43 PM   #139
Nixels
Face fears - live life

Oddometer: 7,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post

I like this one - it's like the invisible beast with the headstock, engine, tank and fork triple clamps visible, front fender, oil cooler and then everything else is just not there.

Looks like you're ready to sand and powder coat that frame with an expensive, time-consuming paint job.

SmugMug coupon: cwbkgu7KGL2D2/save $5
Nixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:46 AM   #140
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,504
Quote:

I've got some beefy perforated alum mesh that works great for guards like that, I am running it as a rad guard. Let me know if you want some, it's good stuff.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #141
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Good idea sailah, we have a metal store up the street...need to get some stuff for my muffler, I'll see if they have something. Hoping to find some stainless mesh that will get zip tied over the cooler. Thanks for the offer!!

Old 10-19-2011, 12:23 AM   #142
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

I found a scrap of stainless and got this crossed off the list:

I used some safety wire to hold it tight on the bottom and used foam strips so it won't saw through the cooler over time.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:02 PM   #143
Kevan Garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Dumb question

Hey Larryboy.

Really enjoying this thread. Quick, probably dumb question. It looks like that steel mesh cover wont let a lot of air through. Are you concerned that it will not be as efficient?

Cheers

Kevan

Quote:
I found a scrap of stainless and got this crossed off the list:

I used some safety wire to hold it tight on the bottom and used foam strips so it won't saw through the cooler over time.
Kevan Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #144
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan Garrett View Post
Hey Larryboy.

Really enjoying this thread. Quick, probably dumb question. It looks like that steel mesh cover wont let a lot of air through. Are you concerned that it will not be as efficient?

Cheers

Kevan

Yeah, it'll lose some airflow, but it's better than a hole in it. BMW's didn't always have oil coolers and there will be heat transfer and that's good enough for me.

I hit on some really good things this morning for the airbox and plumbing, battery ends up lower. I was holding off on painting the frame until I figured this part out...frame including the subframe which is welded to the front section now came in at 50 pounds even, with the box racks.

No time for pics today...off to work.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #145
Kevan Garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Sumb question #2

Hey.

While I am typing, is 50 lbs about what you had hoped? Lighter than the original? How important was weight in your planning?

Quote:
I hit on some really good things this morning for the airbox and plumbing, battery ends up lower. I was holding off on painting the frame until I figured this part out...frame including the subframe which is welded to the front section now came in at 50 pounds even, with the box racks.

No time for pics today...off to work.
Cheers

Kevan
Kevan Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:19 PM   #146
Nixels
Face fears - live life

50 lbs?

You're still 100 lbs down from the start. :

Is this gonna be the Richard Simmons GS?

Old 10-19-2011, 08:36 PM   #147
Fab418
Pig ridin'

Oddometer: 174
forks spring

Larryboy, You mentioned in my thread that you where going to run .48 springs up front right? I just ordered .65s from Sonic Springs in CA after talking to Rich over there. Maybe you should check with those guys if you haven't bought yours yet. I think .48 might be a little soft especially with your talent with piping

Cheers,
My HPF: 21 inch-mx forks R11GS conversion
Fab418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:14 AM   #148
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Ok, don't get hung up on weight yet. I never weighed the subframe alone, I'd guess 15 pounds looking at it and the stock stuff that held up the front is about 16 pounds that isn't going back on. So...long answer, my frame addition and box racks have put 35 pounds back on the bike...acceptable for the safety that was important to me.

.49 springs went in, fab. That's what it's going to get, stiffer springs aren't made for these forks and they'll be fine. Unless you have found stiffer springs for XR650R forks?

I'll do a final tally on the weight savings, I took about 160 pounds off the bike. The stock front wheel was 38.5 pounds with tire and I'll compare that to the new front. The only real world wet weight that I could find for a plain jane 1150GS was 580 pounds ready to ride. My goal is still 500 ready to go.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #149
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider

Thought about using this earlier, but it's a little small for this engine size...it's crunch time, so I'm using it.

Motion Pro screwed up, they can sell you parts, but seem to have a hard time making sure that part remains yours. If I'm a business and somebody orders parts that require a custom build two weeks out I take all the parts required for that customer and put them on the shelf with their name and build date. Frusrated beyond belief with them, but they have a system that allows me to order the part through them and the system picks the closest dealer with that part number in stock and has them ship it to me....could be a dealer right in my town or Bolivia...they have no way of knowing.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:32 PM   #150
Nixels
Face fears - live life

I don't think that canister is for a gas engine. You might put your eye out with that thing!

Too bad about MotionSickness. I guess you moved too fast for them?