ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #301
euromotorcycles
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Ok, ordered:

15 and 12.5 pilot jets.

Two sizes smaller needle jets, by dropping the needles I'm just hiding the problem as far as I can tell.

Input shaft on the way.

Submitted a list of parts to A&S, waiting for an answer. Gonna go eat some breakfast before I call them and scream.


Edit: Woot! A&S has all of my needed parts in stock. Going to go get them right now.
There is no tuning parts kit you must order the parts seperate and make your own kit. As a guide to understanding mortorcycle carburettors you should have a look at the Dellorto book http://www.scribd.com/doc/9641108/Dellorto-Manual . I have installed your type of TM 40 pumpers on a Guzzi LeMans 1000 the acc pumps are not easy to tune . I used the Dellorto tuning guide for the pumps (20 pump squirts = 4 ML) you must select the pump jet that will give you that. On the Dellorto's you can adjust the pump squirt timing with the slides combinations that have different acc/ramp trigger features. We could not time the pumps on our old style TM40 pumpers.
euromotorcycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:53 PM   #302
larryboy OP
Paint it black.
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Über Alles,Ca
Oddometer: 13,659
Ok, back from A&S, everything in stock. I'm about $800 in the hole today.

Picked up a couple of spark plugs and wires too.

If things go fairly smooth we might be looking at leaving Sunday morning. I'm not going to rush it and Monday morning would be ok too.

Better cancel a reservation for Saturday night, it's not even on the radar anymore.


Haven't had a picture in awhile, teaser:




I'll try to throw a quick report together if I can find any time.
__________________
Be sure the safest rule is that we should not dare to live in any scene in which we dare not die. ~Lewis Carroll~

larryboy screwed with this post 11-16-2011 at 01:05 PM
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:28 PM   #303
larryboy OP
Paint it black.
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Über Alles,Ca
Oddometer: 13,659
Ripped the starter out just now to confirm that I really needed the $800 in parts that I just bought. Bar the engine over and the clutch hub spins over the top of the splines.

Whew.





I meant to design the frame so I could drop the trans out without touching the frame and forgot the game plan when I welded the battery tray across that space. I think it will be quicker to cut the tray out, rip and stab the trans, weld the bat tray back in, then paint it up proper after this trip.

I dunno, I hate to do that it's in there really nice...maybe I'll pull the frame up out of the way.
__________________
Be sure the safest rule is that we should not dare to live in any scene in which we dare not die. ~Lewis Carroll~
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:05 AM   #304
NorCalslowpoke
Beastly Adventurer
 
NorCalslowpoke's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromotorcycles View Post
There is no tuning parts kit you must order the parts seperate and make your own kit. As a guide to understanding mortorcycle carburettors you should have a look at the Dellorto book http://www.scribd.com/doc/9641108/Dellorto-Manual . I have installed your type of TM 40 pumpers on a Guzzi LeMans 1000 the acc pumps are not easy to tune . I used the Dellorto tuning guide for the pumps (20 pump squirts = 4 ML) you must select the pump jet that will give you that. On the Dellorto's you can adjust the pump squirt timing with the slides combinations that have different acc/ramp trigger features. We could not time the pumps on our old style TM40 pumpers.
Hey larryboy, did not read the whole thread, but you might consider just taking it to a dynojet place instead of guessing.

I've got (too large) dellorto 40mm pumpers on my small valve 949cc old Guzzi. Karl was able to make them work perfect, so smooth at low rpm/partial throttle, no hesitation, pull cleanly through the rpm range.

http://motorcyclemachiningspecialties.com/

Ended up being a 2.5 bennys for time, but so worth it.

He is very old school and can't say it was cheap, but for sure a good value. It will probably take a full morning or afternoon.

I know he has Dellorto jets, not sure about anything else.

Sorry if this was mentioned.

Good luck

Cheers
__________________
Scott in Sacramento
2007 Husqvarna TE510 For Sale
1970s Moto Guzzi
http://www.burtonco.com Sacramento Appraiser
NorCalslowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:07 AM   #305
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP
 
Stagehand's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Shawangunks
Oddometer: 24,989
I recently came back to this after having kinda forgotten about it, and was struck again how freekin wildly cool it is.
__________________
Unintentional psychokinesis.
Stagehand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:19 AM   #306
larryboy OP
Paint it black.
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Über Alles,Ca
Oddometer: 13,659
Thanks Scott, no time for that.

What's interesting is that I'm NOT guessing and I don't need a tutorial on how carburators work.

What's going on here is that so called experts come in with offers of expertise and I'm extremely crunched for time. I say my carbs have these jets in it, it's too rich expert...you claim to have done it all, gimme a quick baseline...oh, I've never actually installed those carbs...then pages later there are claims that he has, yet he still doesn't give me anything useful to help during my time crunch.

That's about as close as I can get to a rant around here or they'll ban me.


There is enough info on the web that a guy can look around and see what others have actually done and get close. It's hard for people to get their heads around the fact that we're dealing with two very small cylinders 575cc...gonna need to be much leaner that where it's at.


Thanks Stagehand.

__________________
Be sure the safest rule is that we should not dare to live in any scene in which we dare not die. ~Lewis Carroll~
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:50 AM   #307
Nixels
Face fears - live life
 
Nixels's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: West Oakland, CA
Oddometer: 7,567


You want people to read AND digest your info so they can help rather than pontificate?

Are you some kinda n00b around ADV or something?

this is WAY more fun than anything JoMomma can cook up.
__________________
Coffee first, then all your other mundane bullshit. Benjava

SmugMug coupon: cwbkgu7KGL2D2/save $5
Nixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:17 AM   #308
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...
 
Garthe's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Arizona
Oddometer: 4,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
That's about as close as I can get to a rant around here or they'll ban me.
STOP getting distracted...AND, get back to work...you'll figure it out.
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:49 AM   #309
SFKLR
Noob. Again.
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Benicia, CA
Oddometer: 1,005
"Banned and stranded is no way to go through life, son."

--With apologies to Dean Wormer, Animal House
SFKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #310
euromotorcycles
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Thanks Scott, no time for that.

What's interesting is that I'm NOT guessing and I don't need a tutorial on how carburators work.

What's going on here is that so called experts come in with offers of expertise and I'm extremely crunched for time. I say my carbs have these jets in it, it's too rich expert...you claim to have done it all, gimme a quick baseline...oh, I've never actually installed those carbs...then pages later there are claims that he has, yet he still doesn't give me anything useful to help during my time crunch.

That's about as close as I can get to a rant around here or they'll ban me.


There is enough info on the web that a guy can look around and see what others have actually done and get close. It's hard for people to get their heads around the fact that we're dealing with two very small cylinders 575cc...gonna need to be much leaner that where it's at.


Thanks Stagehand.



Hey Larryboy,

If you do not want help do not ask for it and just do your thing and have fun. Trial and error is a long frustrating road . You will not find a ready made solution for your carb setup. I do sell sorted out complete Mikuni TM carb kits for various eurobike applications www.montecristo-moto.com . You manage to put a sour note on a otherwise interesting thread.

Good luck anyway.

euromotorcycles screwed with this post 11-17-2011 at 11:45 AM
euromotorcycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #311
larryboy OP
Paint it black.
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Über Alles,Ca
Oddometer: 13,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromotorcycles View Post
Hey Larryboy,

If you do not want help do not ask for it and just do your thing and have fun. Trial and error is a long frustrading road . You will not find a ready made solution for your carb setup. I do sell sorted out complete Mikuni TM carb kits for various eurobike applications www.montecristo-moto.com . You manage to put a sour note on a otherwise interesting thread.

Good luck anyway.

First sentence in the thread, check it out. I don't have time for this and thank you kindly for participating, but several pages back you were schooling me and then admitted to NOT doing this particular carburator. You were suggesting 230 main jets or something like that. If you sell sorted TM pumper carb kits, step up and give me your baseline jetting or am I supposed to pay you and not do this on my own? You never even answered my most basic hurried questions...you came in here, I didn't drag you in. If a vendor posts in threads...bleh...done.


Okay...on with the show.


Rip and tear. Three hours ago I walked away from the computer and did this:










Splines were pretty much welded and I had to beat the hell out of the trans to get it off.








Right about then my handy dandy mailman pulled up.




This guy is my hero and will get my business from now on for used parts:




There was one little burr that I had to file off, then it fit perfect.




I'll put the new shaft in the trans tomorrow and start assembly...as soon as I get those splines nice and dry.




I could push hard and get us out the door saturday, but I'm going to take it easy and get everything perfect going thru the final drive too.
__________________
Be sure the safest rule is that we should not dare to live in any scene in which we dare not die. ~Lewis Carroll~
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #312
larryboy OP
Paint it black.
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Über Alles,Ca
Oddometer: 13,659
Oh yeah, anybody know if the clutch pushrod felt comes split or do I need a new one? It has an angled split that looks like some plastic o-ring spacers if you know what I mean.

If somebody would like to give me a link explaining the properties of felt that would be fine too.




Edit: Nevermind, I found it...split felt, last thing I want to do is go buy more parts.

__________________
Be sure the safest rule is that we should not dare to live in any scene in which we dare not die. ~Lewis Carroll~

larryboy screwed with this post 11-17-2011 at 12:07 PM
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:33 PM   #313
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...
 
Garthe's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Arizona
Oddometer: 4,294
What you do in hours...would take me months...and then I'd still have to call you, to fix it .

Love the extra day approach...
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:50 PM   #314
ADK
____
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Oddometer: 8,054
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
I recently came back to this after having kinda forgotten about it, and was struck again how freekin wildly cool it is.
Say, don't you have a little used 1150 sitting around in your garage?
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #315
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP
 
Stagehand's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Shawangunks
Oddometer: 24,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK View Post
Say, don't you have a little used 1150 sitting around in your garage?
Haha, thats the girlfriends bike - I suspect my welds are not up to her level of satisfaction Plus, I am a dumbass. If I could do this, I would be spanking that poor little R60 I've traumatized.
__________________
Unintentional psychokinesis.
Stagehand is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014