Old 11-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #301
euromotorcycles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Ok, ordered:

15 and 12.5 pilot jets.

Two sizes smaller needle jets, by dropping the needles I'm just hiding the problem as far as I can tell.

Input shaft on the way.

Submitted a list of parts to A&S, waiting for an answer. Gonna go eat some breakfast before I call them and scream.

Edit: Woot! A&S has all of my needed parts in stock. Going to go get them right now.
There is no tuning parts kit you must order the parts seperate and make your own kit. As a guide to understanding mortorcycle carburettors you should have a look at the Dellorto book http://www.scribd.com/doc/9641108/Dellorto-Manual . I have installed your type of TM 40 pumpers on a Guzzi LeMans 1000 the acc pumps are not easy to tune . I used the Dellorto tuning guide for the pumps (20 pump squirts = 4 ML) you must select the pump jet that will give you that. On the Dellorto's you can adjust the pump squirt timing with the slides combinations that have different acc/ramp trigger features. We could not time the pumps on our old style TM40 pumpers.
euromotorcycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:53 PM   #302
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,659
Ok, back from A&S, everything in stock. I'm about $800 in the hole today.

Picked up a couple of spark plugs and wires too.

If things go fairly smooth we might be looking at leaving Sunday morning. I'm not going to rush it and Monday morning would be ok too.

Better cancel a reservation for Saturday night, it's not even on the radar anymore.

Haven't had a picture in awhile, teaser:

I'll try to throw a quick report together if I can find any time.

larryboy screwed with this post 11-16-2011 at 01:05 PM
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:28 PM   #303
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Ripped the starter out just now to confirm that I really needed the $800 in parts that I just bought. Bar the engine over and the clutch hub spins over the top of the splines.

Whew.

I meant to design the frame so I could drop the trans out without touching the frame and forgot the game plan when I welded the battery tray across that space. I think it will be quicker to cut the tray out, rip and stab the trans, weld the bat tray back in, then paint it up proper after this trip.

I dunno, I hate to do that it's in there really nice...maybe I'll pull the frame up out of the way.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:05 AM   #304
NorCalslowpoke
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromotorcycles View Post
There is no tuning parts kit you must order the parts seperate and make your own kit. As a guide to understanding mortorcycle carburettors you should have a look at the Dellorto book http://www.scribd.com/doc/9641108/Dellorto-Manual . I have installed your type of TM 40 pumpers on a Guzzi LeMans 1000 the acc pumps are not easy to tune . I used the Dellorto tuning guide for the pumps (20 pump squirts = 4 ML) you must select the pump jet that will give you that. On the Dellorto's you can adjust the pump squirt timing with the slides combinations that have different acc/ramp trigger features. We could not time the pumps on our old style TM40 pumpers.
Hey larryboy, did not read the whole thread, but you might consider just taking it to a dynojet place instead of guessing.

I've got (too large) dellorto 40mm pumpers on my small valve 949cc old Guzzi. Karl was able to make them work perfect, so smooth at low rpm/partial throttle, no hesitation, pull cleanly through the rpm range.

http://motorcyclemachiningspecialties.com/

Ended up being a 2.5 bennys for time, but so worth it.

He is very old school and can't say it was cheap, but for sure a good value. It will probably take a full morning or afternoon.

I know he has Dellorto jets, not sure about anything else.

Sorry if this was mentioned.

Good luck

Cheers
http://www.burtonco.com Sacramento Appraiser
NorCalslowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:07 AM   #305
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,989
I recently came back to this after having kinda forgotten about it, and was struck again how freekin wildly cool it is.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:19 AM   #306
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Thanks Scott, no time for that.

What's interesting is that I'm NOT guessing and I don't need a tutorial on how carburators work.

What's going on here is that so called experts come in with offers of expertise and I'm extremely crunched for time. I say my carbs have these jets in it, it's too rich expert...you claim to have done it all, gimme a quick baseline...oh, I've never actually installed those carbs...then pages later there are claims that he has, yet he still doesn't give me anything useful to help during my time crunch.

That's about as close as I can get to a rant around here or they'll ban me.

There is enough info on the web that a guy can look around and see what others have actually done and get close. It's hard for people to get their heads around the fact that we're dealing with two very small cylinders 575cc...gonna need to be much leaner that where it's at.

Thanks Stagehand.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:50 AM   #307
Nixels
Face fears - live life

Oddometer: 7,567

You want people to read AND digest your info so they can help rather than pontificate?

Are you some kinda n00b around ADV or something?

this is WAY more fun than anything JoMomma can cook up.

SmugMug coupon: cwbkgu7KGL2D2/save $5
Nixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:17 AM   #308
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,294
Quote:
STOP getting distracted...AND, get back to work...you'll figure it out.
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:49 AM   #309
SFKLR
Noob. Again.

Oddometer: 1,005
"Banned and stranded is no way to go through life, son."

--With apologies to Dean Wormer, Animal House
SFKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #310
euromotorcycles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Thanks Scott, no time for that.

What's interesting is that I'm NOT guessing and I don't need a tutorial on how carburators work.

What's going on here is that so called experts come in with offers of expertise and I'm extremely crunched for time. I say my carbs have these jets in it, it's too rich expert...you claim to have done it all, gimme a quick baseline...oh, I've never actually installed those carbs...then pages later there are claims that he has, yet he still doesn't give me anything useful to help during my time crunch.

There is enough info on the web that a guy can look around and see what others have actually done and get close. It's hard for people to get their heads around the fact that we're dealing with two very small cylinders 575cc...gonna need to be much leaner that where it's at.

Thanks Stagehand.

Hey Larryboy,

If you do not want help do not ask for it and just do your thing and have fun. Trial and error is a long frustrating road . You will not find a ready made solution for your carb setup. I do sell sorted out complete Mikuni TM carb kits for various eurobike applications www.montecristo-moto.com . You manage to put a sour note on a otherwise interesting thread.

Good luck anyway.

euromotorcycles screwed with this post 11-17-2011 at 11:45 AM
euromotorcycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #311
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromotorcycles View Post
Hey Larryboy,

If you do not want help do not ask for it and just do your thing and have fun. Trial and error is a long frustrading road . You will not find a ready made solution for your carb setup. I do sell sorted out complete Mikuni TM carb kits for various eurobike applications www.montecristo-moto.com . You manage to put a sour note on a otherwise interesting thread.

Good luck anyway.

First sentence in the thread, check it out. I don't have time for this and thank you kindly for participating, but several pages back you were schooling me and then admitted to NOT doing this particular carburator. You were suggesting 230 main jets or something like that. If you sell sorted TM pumper carb kits, step up and give me your baseline jetting or am I supposed to pay you and not do this on my own? You never even answered my most basic hurried questions...you came in here, I didn't drag you in. If a vendor posts in threads...bleh...done.

Okay...on with the show.

Rip and tear. Three hours ago I walked away from the computer and did this:

Splines were pretty much welded and I had to beat the hell out of the trans to get it off.

Right about then my handy dandy mailman pulled up.

This guy is my hero and will get my business from now on for used parts:

There was one little burr that I had to file off, then it fit perfect.

I'll put the new shaft in the trans tomorrow and start assembly...as soon as I get those splines nice and dry.

I could push hard and get us out the door saturday, but I'm going to take it easy and get everything perfect going thru the final drive too.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #312
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Oh yeah, anybody know if the clutch pushrod felt comes split or do I need a new one? It has an angled split that looks like some plastic o-ring spacers if you know what I mean.

If somebody would like to give me a link explaining the properties of felt that would be fine too.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it...split felt, last thing I want to do is go buy more parts.

larryboy screwed with this post 11-17-2011 at 12:07 PM
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:33 PM   #313
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,294
What you do in hours...would take me months...and then I'd still have to call you, to fix it .

Love the extra day approach...
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:50 PM   #314
ADK
____

Oddometer: 8,054
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
I recently came back to this after having kinda forgotten about it, and was struck again how freekin wildly cool it is.
Say, don't you have a little used 1150 sitting around in your garage?
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #315
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK View Post
Say, don't you have a little used 1150 sitting around in your garage?
Haha, thats the girlfriends bike - I suspect my welds are not up to her level of satisfaction Plus, I am a dumbass. If I could do this, I would be spanking that poor little R60 I've traumatized.