ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #376
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?
 
Fubars's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Ventuna, California
Oddometer: 1,767
I know why you built this bike---so you could haul all that killer grub down to Death Valley.

Good to meet you again. Give our regards to Mrs. Larryboy.

Now that I said all that, when are you gonna finish the 600 project?
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #377
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: On a set of 50,000 mile tires.
Oddometer: 14,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubars View Post
I know why you built this bike---so you could haul all that killer grub down to Death Valley.

Good to meet you again. Give our regards to Mrs. Larryboy.

Now that I said all that, when are you gonna finish the 600 project?


Hey man, it was great to see you and hang out this time. We both had a great time with the whole group!!


Let's see...I'm in the middle of completing paperwork to plate an XR650R, need to figure out paperwork on a trials bike that was given to me so I can ride the Rubicon next summer, this BMW needs some refinements, I want to finish up the electrics on the YZ490 powered CB550 cafe racer, get the Willys road worthy, then get back on the Bandit 600...in that order.

What I need is a pit crew so I can just ride 'em.
larryboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:46 AM   #378
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder
 
Boondoggle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Central VA
Oddometer: 15,694
The RR is great- overall the whole story has been fun to follow, thanks for posting it.

This is just a guess, but if you're getting 40mpg two-up using carbs without a windscreen, I wouldn't mess with it unless I had a real good reason. That's within rock-throwing distance of what you get with EFI.
__________________
____
Public Service Announcement: even for asshats, suggesting they set themselves on fire is a bit much.
What is wrong with you guys? -RapidWife
I've been poking a giant bouncy ball with a needle. You feel anything yet? -Blake716
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:58 AM   #379
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: On a set of 50,000 mile tires.
Oddometer: 14,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
The RR is great- overall the whole story has been fun to follow, thanks for posting it.

This is just a guess, but if you're getting 40mpg two-up using carbs without a windscreen, I wouldn't mess with it unless I had a real good reason. That's within rock-throwing distance of what you get with EFI.

Right you are, I'm not going to lean out the main anymore...it's perfect. Flogging the hell out of it with EFI I got it down to 30 mpg, if I flog it with the carbs...ie; not smooth, on and off the throttle hard, I'm seeing 25 mpg, gonna put in smaller acc pump nozzles and pilot jets. I don't want to change too much on the carbs at this point because they work dang good as is, fires right up in cold temps and all that.
larryboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:06 AM   #380
Nixels
Face fears - live life
 
Nixels's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: West Oakland, CA
Oddometer: 7,736
Oh, good. You're up early Get enough of that BenJava juice in you to post up some more of the story. Pix and all!

Now that me and Ladybug got past the popcorn-wrasslin' everything's great.

Git ta writin', boy!























__________________
Coffee first, then all your other mundane bullshit. Benjava

SmugMug coupon: cwbkgu7KGL2D2/save $5
Nixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #381
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: On a set of 50,000 mile tires.
Oddometer: 14,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post

I think that a tubular swingarm with the drive shaft exposed would be super cool and practical on this bike.

Ahhhaaaa...






Yeah, it's the newer bike...I can pull that off and make this thing a lot easier to work on. The lower bolt for the rear shock won't come out, when I ruin the swingarm to take the shock off it will be a good excuse to build a new swingarm.
larryboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:57 AM   #382
Ramata
Wind
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Chihuahua
Oddometer: 75
What bike is that? It is pure bike hotness at its best.
Ramata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:56 AM   #383
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kawidad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Central Coast, Cal
Oddometer: 4,844
OMG that is total bike porn.
__________________
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal
(Who watches the watchers)
Kawidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:18 AM   #384
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: On a set of 50,000 mile tires.
Oddometer: 14,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramata View Post
What bike is that? It is pure bike hotness at its best.

More bike porn here:

http://www.seservice.se/



Poolside posted the link in GSpot the other day.
larryboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #385
Ramata
Wind
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Chihuahua
Oddometer: 75
No offense, but when I saw the above picture, I went back to the post where you listed your current projects, thinking "I have to find the build thread for this thing" . Anyway, thanks for the link and enjoying your build since long ago.
Ramata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #386
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer
 
steve_k's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Rancho Bernardo (San Diego)
Oddometer: 1,062
Crazy, mad, insane,and crazy again! You pulled it off!
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #387
DoctorAbo
friends call me Mitsulas
 
DoctorAbo's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Athens, Greece
Oddometer: 269
Larry very well done !!
Al the beginning of the project I was very much concerned on the durability of your frame modification . We have been reading and hearing about CAD designs and finite element analysis on each and every part of a motorcycle or a car. When I saw you fabricating a frame out of a BMW, a Honda and other tubes I was frightened. It seems though that the geometry is in place and the durability of the frame will prove to be monolithic.

I was also thinking that injection systems and ABS"s etc etc are far too complicated systems for riding in real difficult terrains. I own a GS 1200 and if I should ride it to Siberia (for example), I would dream of a simplification with carburettors, gravity in gasoline feeding, conventional brakes and a very simple electrical system. And that’s what you did on your 1150. Fantastic job and I think your bike is a very unique and precious piece of equipment for harsh conditions. Enjoy it and thanks for sharing all the project with us.
__________________
Riding along, singing a song, side by side, cha cha cha !!! :
DoctorAbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #388
larryboy OP
Chopper Rider
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: On a set of 50,000 mile tires.
Oddometer: 14,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorAbo View Post
Larry very well done !!
Al the beginning of the project I was very much concerned on the durability of your frame modification . We have been reading and hearing about CAD designs and finite element analysis on each and every part of a motorcycle or a car. When I saw you fabricating a frame out of a BMW, a Honda and other tubes I was frightened. It seems though that the geometry is in place and the durability of the frame will prove to be monolithic.

I was also thinking that injection systems and ABS"s etc etc are far too complicated systems for riding in real difficult terrains. I own a GS 1200 and if I should ride it to Siberia (for example), I would dream of a simplification with carburettors, gravity in gasoline feeding, conventional brakes and a very simple electrical system. And that’s what you did on your 1150. Fantastic job and I think your bike is a very unique and precious piece of equipment for harsh conditions. Enjoy it and thanks for sharing all the project with us.

Hey Doc,

I just had it out in those harsh conditions I built it for...Death Valley again. I lost the tachometer feed, gonna have to chase that down, but otherwise the bike was flawless. I found that without the tach I used 5th gear more often on the highway and got better mileage by keeping the revs up and not lugging it.

I'd really like to find a big adventure tank for it...on the cheap of course.
larryboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #389
melsman
Great White North GS'r
 
melsman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: 10 hour drive north of Billings Montana
Oddometer: 76
Bike looks great

i LOVE bike porn
__________________
Did I ever tell you, I'm smarter than I look? Yah,,, I know, I look pretty dumb
melsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #390
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me
 
pennswoodsed's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Reading,Pa
Oddometer: 759
chip in ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post


Maybe we could all chip in and get him a lab coat...
I would be willing to pay for 1 off the rack,any rack !
pennswoodsed is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015