User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2011, 06:00 AM   #1
jpalamar OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Lowering an 1150 GS Adventure

Having recently acquiried an R1150GS Adv (2006 model) I'm between a rock and a hard place trying to decide whether to lower it or not, as I'm on the fringes of it being too tall, but can handle it fine.

There are Wilbers out there that will be about 2 inches lower, but wonder if there are any aftermarket SIDESTANDS and CENTERSTANDS for the bike. OR, will have them cut down/repainted. Which I'd be more inclinded to purchase new parts (sidestand and centerstand) so I can revert back to original.

FYI, I am using the GS low seat and can handle the bike under most conditions other than duck-walking the bike. Even the slightest, unnoticed grade is hell, I've been practicing moving it around OFF of the bike but not good at it yet.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:07 AM   #2
rat734
EX Bus Hijacker

Oddometer: 1,702
Or ya could just try a pair of these

PS: Congrats on the bike. You'll love it.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:13 AM   #3
jpalamar OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rat734 View Post
Or ya could just try a pair of these

PS: Congrats on the bike. You'll love it.
I owned this bike once before, and foolishly sold it! I was lucky to find another one. I must have shrunk some since . . . I'm serious! I used to be 5' 9" all of my life (military records to prove it) and barely hit 5' 7" now when I was recently at Mayo Clinic. Jokingly, I'm now too heavy for my height at 165
Old 09-19-2011, 06:19 AM   #4
desmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
http://www.motoraid.eu/shop/product_...93&language=en

I use one of these on my 1150GS Adventure, along with standard GS Olins.
2007 Guzzi Cali Vintage (skunk seat)
2001 Porsche 911 (Speed Yellow)
desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:27 AM   #5
jpalamar OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmo View Post
http://www.motoraid.eu/shop/product_...93&language=en

I use one of these on my 1150GS Adventure, along with standard GS Olins.
Very interesting. I saw this some time ago and forgot all about it. Can you tell me if it is infinitely adjustable or are there pre-sets? How does it lock in place?

Thanks, and seems I saw in BMW magazine an infinitely adjustable sidestand too?
Old 09-19-2011, 07:01 AM   #6
desmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Pre set. It is made for the GS but fits the Adventure due to the lower shocks. You just rock the bike back and forth to set it. NO LIFTING! In the lower setting you can drive off without taking it off the stand.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:10 AM   #7
jpalamar OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Pre set. It is made for the GS but fits the Adventure due to the lower shocks. You just rock the bike back and forth to set it. NO LIFTING! In the lower setting you can drive off without taking it off the stand.
Let me ask the question differently. If I lower the bike with Wilbers, by let's say 2-inches, will the 'rocking' back/forth accommodate the new, lowered height. If pre-set, I think not, correct?
Old 09-19-2011, 07:16 AM   #8
desmo
Gnarly Adventurer

I lowered by 02 GS Adventure with standard GS Olins shocks. The unit works on MY bike with MY modifications. It SHOULD work on yours. The unit is made for the lower GS which mine became with the GS shocks. I was looking for a standard GS centerstand, but chose this instead. I now never use the side stand.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:17 AM   #9
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,824
The standard 1150GS is about 2" shorter than the Adventure. You can go with the stock side and center stands from that bike.

Also, Wilbers (used to?) offers an adjustable height option with their shocks.

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:18 AM   #10
desmo
Gnarly Adventurer

Maybe we can meet during Biketoberfest so you can see the setup.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:23 AM   #11
jpalamar OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Maybe we can meet during Biketoberfest so you can see the setup.
Great idea. And, here's another doodad to look at:

www.askengineering.com and their adjustable sidestand. I've got a call in to them to see if they have an 1150 model. We are all nuts, right?
Old 09-19-2011, 07:35 AM   #12
desmo
Gnarly Adventurer

The stock Adventure side stand leans over so far that even with the bike lowered to stock side stand works fine. Before lowering the bike I had a hockey puck under the stand!
Old 09-19-2011, 08:49 AM   #13
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,378
Personally I wouldn't.
When I got my Adventure I was pretty sure it was too tall after I rode it off pavement for the third or fourth time.

I bought a BMW low saddle. And started learnign how uncomfortable that was. My knees bent at just a snick too tight an angle.

Then I took the Jimmy Lewis Offroad riding school.
After two days of skills development I was a changed man. The bike seemed smaller. Lighter. More nimble.

Sold the low saddle in the Fleamarket and went back to the stock seat. I'm wearing out my third stock seat now. The bike isn't that tall. Doesn't feel as tall to me as an XR650L Honda, or KLR.

Add up the cost of short suspension elements, centerstands and side stands, and the time to install The school looks to be about the same.
But, taking the school yields a tool kit of skills that can be used on the stock, (not at all that tall) tall bike and need not be re-sold once you move on to the next bike.

As a practical matter when I'm faced with uneven surface and need to move the bike around and can't ride it, I dismount and just walk beside it.
Jimmy has a drill for this too.

I'm 5'10" with about a 32" inseam.
When I switched from the Discovery boots to the less flexible Crossfires I had to come to grips with restricted movement in the ankle of the boot which limited my sure-footedness. It only took bit to get more comfortable with the new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
Having recently acquiried an R1150GS Adv (2006 model) I'm between a rock and a hard place trying to decide whether to lower it or not, as I'm on the fringes of it being too tall, but can handle it fine.

There are Wilbers out there that will be about 2 inches lower, but wonder if there are any aftermarket SIDESTANDS and CENTERSTANDS for the bike. OR, will have them cut down/repainted. Which I'd be more inclinded to purchase new parts (sidestand and centerstand) so I can revert back to original.

FYI, I am using the GS low seat and can handle the bike under most conditions other than duck-walking the bike. Even the slightest, unnoticed grade is hell, I've been practicing moving it around OFF of the bike but not good at it yet.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:50 AM   #14
jpalamar OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The stock Adventure side stand leans over so far that even with the bike lowered to stock side stand works fine. Before lowering the bike I had a hockey puck under the stand!
First thing I did when I got this bike (remember, this is my 2nd one) was put the 'big foot' that I modified with longer machine screws, so they protrude below foot, and then cap off with acorn nuts. Raises bike about 5/8" and could actually use more.

I may have to drag out my venerable K & E slide rule for the trig functions and see if 2 inches will need a different sidestand.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:55 AM   #15
jpalamar OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Personally I wouldn't.
When I got my Adventure I was pretty sure it was too tall after I rode it off pavement for the third or fourth time.

I bought a BMW low saddle. And started learnign how uncomfortable that was. My knees bent at just a snick too tight an angle.

Then I took the Jimmy Lewis Offroad riding school.
After two days of skills development I was a changed man. The bike seemed smaller. Lighter. More nimble.

Sold the low saddle in the Fleamarket and went back to the stock seat. I'm wearing out my third stock seat now. The bike isn't that tall. Doesn't feel as tall to me as an XR650L Honda, or KLR.

Add up the cost of short suspension elements, centerstands and side stands, and the time to install The school looks to be about the same.
But, taking the school yields a tool kit of skills that can be used on the stock, (not at all that tall) tall bike and need not be re-sold once you move on to the next bike.

As a practical matter when I'm faced with uneven surface and need to move the bike around and can't ride it, I dismount and just walk beside it.
Jimmy has a drill for this too.

I'm 5'10" with about a 32" inseam.
When I switched from the Discovery boots to the less flexible Crossfires I had to come to grips with restricted movement in the ankle of the boot which limited my sure-footedness. It only took bit to get more comfortable with the new.
I rode my R12GS Adv for years with the GS low seat and of course acclimated to the height. I don't need to flat foot the bike riding, in fact riding the bike is no issue, and actually I'm ok with everything on the 1150 other than with so little leg left, duck-walking/backing out of even a itsy-bitsy, unnoticed incline is almost impossible. I've been practicking moving the bike around off of it and while I'm not good at it yet (like the dealer people), I may just do that. Not sure yet but I sure envy the HD guys with their low bikes at times.