User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2011, 01:46 PM   #16
FredRydr OP
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,100
Fellow F800GSer's,

As a result of this thread, the designer has asked me to test the Sidekicker through it's development and fitment on my F800GS. Of course, how can I say "No"? If you have any issues you'd like Steve to be aware of, please post them here, or PM me.

Fred
FredRydr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:17 PM   #17
Mike.C
Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer: 579
On the F650GS with the forks lowered through the triple clamp about 20mm, the side stand foot digs into the ground too easily when putting it down. The foot needs to be further away form the bike so that it's easier to swing down for the vertically challenged rider without leaning the bike to the right so that it clears the ground as it comes down.

The biggest issue is the dimensions on the triangle created by the tyre contact points and the stand, it needs to be a larger triangle for more stability, a by product of increasing the sides of the triangle out to the stand will be that at it's lowest point in the "swing down arc" it will be higher off the ground.

I would not just copy the geometry of the original one, IMO it is wrong in almost every direction.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:11 PM   #18
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
I assure you there are people (like me) that know otherwise when parking on surfaces other than glorious flat macadam.

Fred
Well I've parked my F8 on whatever soft or hard surface or weird angle or grade you could throw at it and it's never fallen over yet.

..... at least nothing a good stone or stick couldn't fix.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:39 AM   #19
FredRydr OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
Well I've parked my F8 on whatever soft or hard surface or weird angle or grade you could throw at it and it's never fallen over yet.
Thanks for posting the photos of your upright motorcycle, and we're pleased you know how to use rocks under your sidestand. You are obviously very proud of the skill, and I'm confident most inmates are taking notes of your accomplishment.

Fred
Old 09-23-2011, 04:46 AM   #20
FredRydr OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.C View Post
The biggest issue is the dimensions on the triangle created by the tyre contact points and the stand....
I don't know if the Sidekicker changes the angle of the stand in relation to the frame. Steve and I spoke on the phone last night about the three length possibilities: F800GS and F650GS twin in standard and lowered suspension.

Fred
Old 09-23-2011, 05:23 AM   #21
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,853
Quote:
Thanks for posting the photos of your upright motorcycle, and we're pleased you know how to use rocks under your sidestand. You are obviously very proud of the skill, and I'm confident most inmates are taking notes of your accomplishment.

Fred
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:44 AM   #22
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:

Fred

Thanks. Not very proud of a simple task like parking my motorcycle. But, given this thread, apparently there are folks that have issues with it, so I thought I'd offer some help.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:11 AM   #23
Apostolos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
I'd buy one if the price was around 150 dollars.

What are they charging, 300+ dollars, who do they think they are, Tourtech?

God Bless,
David
Apostolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:06 AM   #24
nytrashman
old and in the way

Oddometer: 576
i spoke to Steve yesterday (9/22) and was told the sidekicker for the F650/800GS is in the development stage and should be available this winter. if you have a low suspension F650GS he is also aware of the need for a shorter side stand so your low frame bike has more of a lean angle, thus allowing you to deploy the side stand on ground that is not perfectly level. he took my e-mail address/phone number and said he will call/e-mail when these new side stands become available. if /when i hear from him i will let everyone know.
nytrashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:11 PM   #25
usafe7ret
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Still seems pricey to me, but once there is more of a demand, then maybe the price point will adjust some way. If too much demand, price goes up, not enough, then production stops.

The way you're pushing this Fred, it would appear you have a vested interest...
usafe7ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:51 PM   #26
FredRydr OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafe7ret View Post
...The way you're pushing this Fred, it would appear you have a vested interest....
My intent was to push them, and it seems to have worked. I'm pleased there are others who welcome it with me.

Once I tried it at Bloomsburg, I've wanted one real baaaad! With my 29-inch inseam, it's always been a PITA on tall bikes, either screwing around settling on the final spot off-road, or shoving stones and wood under the stand (I have a "puck" on a string in my tankbag), or most tiring of all, astride the tall bike and heaving it back to upright. A Sidekicker is a luxury I will thoroughly enjoy and willing to pay for after decades wishing for more inches (in the legs!). I've paid my dues.

As to the whining about the price, there's not much I can do except propose a group buy to bring it down. Note that mass-produced F sidestands from BMW list for $140-160; arguments that this essentially handmade device should cost $125-150 cannot be taken seriously.

Fred
Old 09-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #27
RadoR6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Looks great and does probably the job too.But......$350 ...someone must be kidding, or maybe taking a bit too much .
RadoR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #28
Apostolos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
As to the whining about the price, there's not much I can do except propose a group buy to bring it down. Note that mass-produced F sidestands from BMW list for $140-160; arguments that this essentially handmade device should cost $125-150 cannot be taken seriously.

Fred
I disagree.

BMW parts are way over priced just like the sidestand you're trying to promote here.

An SW-motech centerstand from twisted throttle is only 149.99.

Your boys need to come down significantly on the price of their sidestand in order for their product to be taken seriously. Otherwise, it's just going to appeal to a very small niche group like yourself.

I believe that if they lower the price to a value that's sane, not only will the people who need it buy it, but also people who really don't need it will consider it just for the luxury benefit. I know I would.

God Bless,
David
Apostolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #29
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,293
Perhaps a bit against the grain here but while looking at the pics of the product I can see exactly why they have MSRP at $349. This isn't a couple pieces of telescoping tubing with a bunch of holes drilled in them with a cotter pin to adjust it and a chunk of flat stock tack welded on the bottom. This appears to be a very thought out and executed unit with a ton of custom made pieces. There doesn't appear to be a single piece of off the shelf material used. I'd love to have a look at the ratcheting mechanism inside.

I see why they are priced at $349. I also see that most riders aren't will into spend that much money on a side stand. I think it's one of those purchases that you put off getting because of the price but once you pulled the trigger on it you're thrilled to have it and soon forget the price. Much like the $1500 Tourtech gas tank...

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:14 PM   #30
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,668
I've read through the thread, but there is no specific mention of the stand being able to retract to a length shorter than the factory one. I sometimes find myself deploying the kickstand with the left side of the bike facing uphill. This usually happens when I'm in a hurry to get off the bike to help someone else, and don't want to take time to turn the bike around. I usually lay it over gently, but I'd prefer it be on a stand. I'm guessing I could buy the 650 model, and put it on the 800, but that may be less than ideal.