User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #31
nytrashman
old and in the way

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
I've read through the thread, but there is no specific mention of the stand being able to retract to a length shorter than the factory one. I sometimes find myself deploying the kickstand with the left side of the bike facing uphill. This usually happens when I'm in a hurry to get off the bike to help someone else, and don't want to take time to turn the bike around. I usually lay it over gently, but I'd prefer it be on a stand. I'm guessing I could buy the 650 model, and put it on the 800, but that may be less than ideal.
you can have a custom side stand made so it does exactly what you want. for instance, they have 4 positions so position 3 could be factory length, position 4: 1" longer then stock, position 3: 1" shorter then stock and position 1: 1 1/2" shorter then stock. this is just an example, you can dictate what length you want for the four positions.
nytrashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #32
Thorvald
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
I'm definately interested in an F650GS model!
Old 09-29-2011, 06:20 AM   #33
FredRydr OP
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,296
The more interest shown, the more likely I can arrange a better price on a group buy.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:59 AM   #34
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 858
Consider me interested. Although the ability to make it both shorter and longer than stock is a must.
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:43 AM   #35
Gnik Nus
MSF Ridercoach

Oddometer: 14
Count me in...

I'm interested Fred. Keep me posted and thanks for making the effort on our behalf.
Gnik Nus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:06 AM   #36
FredRydr OP

Sure will. Things are happening even if the thread dies down.

Fred
Old 10-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #37
stephen.stallebrass
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Put me down please, I deffo want one!!!

You'll have to post to the UK but I'll pay the extra postage.

$350 aint that bad I paid 230 ($360) to have the lot replaced last month by BMW. Was looking into this myself back in June-July...

Old 10-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #38
nytrashman
old and in the way

as per our conversation i am interested in a side stand for the F650GS low suspension model.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #39
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,334
Definitely interested.

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:21 AM   #40
FredRydr OP

Once I get the group buy price and Sidekicker choices (i.e., length), things will pick up here. Each participant will send name, address and a deposit, and the balance when the stands are ready to ship.

Fred
Old 10-17-2011, 09:57 AM   #41
stevets32
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Add another inmate...

I'm in!
I like to believe that people in the long run are going to do more to promote peace than our governments. Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
stevets32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #42
FredRydr OP

Wicked More information - Feedback wanted on length choices

Here is the latest:

Last weekend, Steve and Tom did the initial load-strength deflection test for the F800GS Sidekicker design, comparing it with the stock BMW sidestand. Results were excellent, but they continue tweaking the design to ensure every unit is equal to or greater than the strength of the stock sidestand. No promises yet, but if things work out as intended, the F800/650GS twin Sidekicker may have another inch of travel in the extension, making way for options such as: 0" to +4" or -1" to +3", instead of the 0 to +3" that's on the current SideKicker. Steve would like to get plenty of feedback on this issue. Please respond in the thread with your thoughts or preference.

My first impression is: if the extension always returned to -1" when kicked up, it'd be a PITA to always have to extend the sidestand when kicked down, even on flat pavement, instead of just when needed.

Using a local 800GS rider as a tester, it looks like mid-November for the final fit-up of the prototype Sidekicker to a bike. They are looking for a local F650GS twin to do the same after they have finalized the 800GS version. They'll definitely have pictures, probably prior to plating, but it will be fully representative of the production part.

It will be a few weeks before I'll have a price, as Steve does not yet have final costs from their suppliers. He commented, "Like fine wine, we won't rush this until we are sure the product is ready. But I'm still hopeful this will be ready by early February. The biggest unknown to timing (and costing) is the final decision on tooling up the yoke, whether by a casting or machining from solid."

So, watch this space for developments and photos.

Fred

P.S. While Steve and Tom are tooling up for both the F800GS & F650GS (twin) side stands, they are also proceeding with the Kruz Locker (detailed on the AKS Engineering web site) for both bikes as well. Steve suggested a one-time reduced price sale for this initial group, too. We could save on shipping if it was tossed into the box with the Sidekicker. (I use the Caterpiller o-ring solution, so I wasn't looking for a throttle lock. But if the price was right.... )

FredRydr screwed with this post 10-17-2011 at 04:48 PM
Old 10-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #43
nytrashman
old and in the way

any word on a sidekicker for the low suspension F650GS ? when/if you make them i'll take one.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #44
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 858
Why would it automatically revert to -1 when you put the stand up? Is there any way for it to stay at 0, then just change it when you need it? Maybe I'm not understanding how the mechanism works.
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:32 AM   #45
FredRydr OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrashman View Post
any word on a sidekicker for the low suspension F650GS ? when/if you make them i'll take one.
I'm putting together a group buy; I don't make them or have any connection with Steve's and Tom's business. When the F800GS prototype is finished, they'll move to the F650GS (twin), and Steve is aware of the OE low suspension bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrophobe View Post
Why would it automatically revert to -1 when you put the stand up? Is there any way for it to stay at 0, then just change it when you need it? Maybe I'm not understanding how the mechanism works.
I don't how it works either, but if you watch the video, the rider pushes on the extension while kicking the stand back up, and it snaps fully back into the upper part of the SideKicker. My guess is another internal device would be required to (1) stop it before full retraction and (2) release for full retraction to -1" when needed. Another thought I have about the additional length is whether one-inch detents might be too long. It might be better to stick with 3/4" detents and just add a detent. It should become clear when the rider parks his bike with the prototype in place.

Fred

AKS Engineering wants plenty of feedback during these final phases of development, and Steve looks for our comments. So please respond in the thread with your thoughts and preferences. He especially is looking for numbers/ratio interested in F800GS, F650GS and F650GS-lowered.

FredRydr screwed with this post 10-18-2011 at 05:30 AM