User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #46
nytrashman
old and in the way

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
He especially is looking for numbers/ratio interested in F800GS, F650GS and F650GS-lowered.
F650GS lowered: position 1 or full retracted) 3/4" shorter then stock, position 2) 1/2" shorter then stock, position 3) stock length and position 4) 3/4" longer then stock. very rarely do i find i need the side stand longer then stock, 99% of the time it needs to be shorter.

one problem with the side stand on the low suspension F650 is the foot hits when you try to put the side stand down. after i shortened my side stand i heated the foot up with a torch and with a big hammer (BFH) i made the foot semi rounded to gain some clearance. just something you might want to think about or redesign when making a sidekicker for the lowered F650.
nytrashman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:39 PM   #47
FredRydr OP
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 1,601
Here is the latest communication regarding the F800GS Sidekicker. The photo file was corrupted, but I will post the photo when I get a new file from Steve.

Now is the time to send a PM to me, stating that you want to be part of the group buy for the F800GS Sidekicker. Please include your real name name and email address.

Fred

I wanted to give you an update on our progress.

Attached are photos of the finished production design intent 800GS Side Kicker (without the nickel plating of course).

We were very fortunate to get a bike from a local rider which really helped to make sure everything fits just right. It is a direct bolt on replacement and the position of the foot pad in both the down and up position are the same as stock. We use the same foot pad that is on our 1200GS part which is over 2 times bigger than the stock 800GS pad. The design we are starting with is the stock length to +3", just like the 1200GS.

We now are in the process of detailing all the drawings so we can get quotes and delivery timing.

We do not yet have an initial-buy group price, but if you wanted to begin getting a list of names together so we can get a quantity idea, that would be great. We do not need (or even want) to get any upfront deposits. When we get parts in hand and are ready to ship we would then take orders direct from the customers that were listed on the initial-buy group. Those that were on the list would receive the discount but we would only hold that price for those individuals for 2 weeks. After that the orders would just go through the web site at the regular price. It is no problem whatsoever if those on the list decide not to purchase.

Thanks for all your encouragement and help in getting the word out. It has really helped in getting this thing going faster than it would have.

We'll be in touch. Feel free to pass on the info and pictures.

Thanks again;

Steve Ruth
AKS Engineering
FredRydr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:44 AM   #48
FredRydr OP

Here are photos of the finished production design intent 800GS Side Kicker, without the nickel plating:

Now is the time to send a PM to me, stating that you want to be part of the group buy for the F800GS Sidekicker. Please include your real name and email address.

I've received several PMs, and I am collating them. No deposits necessary! Cool, eh?

Fred
Old 11-08-2011, 02:58 AM   #49
stephen.stallebrass
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Brilliant! PM sent...
Old 11-08-2011, 06:08 AM   #50
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,460
Interesting product and I might be interested, but I have a question: Does the sidekicker mount to the bike the same way as the stock one and if so, is it not equally susceptible to the prematurely wearing bushings on the point where the sidestand pivots?
Old 11-08-2011, 08:48 AM   #51
FredRydr OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Interesting product and I might be interested, but I have a question: Does the sidekicker mount to the bike the same way as the stock one and if so, is it not equally susceptible to the prematurely wearing bushings on the point where the sidestand pivots?
Ceri,

I had a great reply from Steve on this:
Fred,

Funny you sent that comment along.

Tom (my partner) and I were complaining about how much slop there was in the stock side stand on the bike (~ 7000 miles) we were using for our fit-up.

One, there seems to be too much clearance between then "ears" on the yoke and the post on the frame. We are reducing this clearance by 0.010" on our parts.

And two, for some reason, BMW, does not use a shoulder on the main bolt where it rides on the bushing. The threads are the full length on the bolt and therefore rub directly on the ID of the bushing. This goes against all "bushing 101" recommendations. There is not only excess clearance between the threads and the bushing, but they will wear quite easily against the bushing even creating more clearance and apparent looseness. Eventually, we may look into supplying a new bushing and shoulder bolt, but not for awhile.

Have everyone send a complaint to BMW!

Steve

So the OEM problem is recognized and AKS Engineering is going to address the problem in the yoke, but is not going to manufacture bolt/bushing kits just now. I wonder, would a standard bolt with a shoulder instead of threads help resolve it? Or perhaps we should turn to Dan, "the shock bolt kit guy."

Fred
Old 11-10-2011, 06:21 AM   #52
FredRydr OP

Group Buy Participants

The following are those who have expressed interest in the group buy. Names are from ADVrider and F800Riders. If your name is not on the list and you want to participate, please PM me with your email address and real name. If your name is on the list and you want it off, PM me. There is no commitment to buy, and the price will be based upon the number in the group.

I will update this list from time to time:

F800GS

FredRydr
dendrophobe
stephen.stallebrass
KL0RG
Gnik Nus
Ron Wardman
BcDano
1fastjunebug
Oso Blanco
Wicket009
stormbringer
bikerfish1100
gofast1320
GrayGoSt
M N B
Redhed
BRSIMONS
Motorfiets
bmrpilot
KUpchu9702

F650GS

JRWooden
Mike.C (lowered)(wants two)
ScienceOfDirt*
nytrashman (lowered)
Thorvald*
MBronskill
BcDano (lowered)
NomadS

The F800GS list includes inmates considering an F650GS Sidekicker if it mounts and allows one detent shorter than the F800GS OE sidestand.

*name and email address needed

On 27 March 2012, an email was sent to all on the list that the Siderkicker is now available, except for the two who did not provide an address.

FredRydr screwed with this post 03-27-2012 at 09:23 AM Reason: Added last sentence
Old 11-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #53
troyeb
White Buffalo

Oddometer: 19
An affordable solution

A low-cost sidestand extension adapter, from a forum string else where on AdvRider, is what I am using. For my HP2 I needed a longer sidestand for a larger wheelset I’m using (21” and 18”), but I also have the SuMo 17” wheelset so I wanted adjustablity with the sidestand.
The company adapts stock sidestands from most any bike to be lengthened and adjustable to fit the dimension needs I described. It even comes with a larger footing. For $90 and a turnaround of just a few days, it is a good, practical deal.
Here is one pic I have,

From Drop Box

troyeb screwed with this post 11-10-2011 at 07:39 PM
troyeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:37 AM   #54
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,993
2 different designs from BMW

BMW has updated the sidestand design (perhaps because the first one was not so clever )

If you look at the parts fiche there are two different sized bushings - 16mm and 18mm IIRC.....

Would this stand work with either design point?
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:51 AM   #55
FredRydr OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
BMW has updated the sidestand design (perhaps because the first one was not so clever )

If you look at the parts fiche there are two different sized bushings - 16mm and 18mm IIRC.....

Would this stand work with either design point?
I brought to Steve's attention your post.

Fred
Old 11-11-2011, 06:08 AM   #56
GrayGoSt
Ridin' the F8

Oddometer: 121
I Like It

PM Sent to Fred...
Old 11-11-2011, 07:16 AM   #57
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,051
I understand the adjustability aspect of the side stand, but does it have to be retracted to its shortest position every time you retract the side stand to ride off or can it remain extended if you don't have a center stand?

(On the 800/658, I don't see any room for leaving it extended, if you have a center stand.)
Old 11-11-2011, 07:31 AM   #58
FredRydr OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy View Post
I understand the adjustability aspect of the side stand, but does it have to be retracted to its shortest position every time you retract the side stand to ride off or can it remain extended if you don't have a center stand?

(On the 800/658, I don't see any room for leaving it extended, if you have a center stand.)
It snaps back to its shortest (OE) length when you kick it back into position, but if you don't tap the footpad with your toe, it appears it will stay extended. Watch Steve's video on his website for more.

Fred

FredRydr screwed with this post 11-11-2011 at 08:53 AM
Old 11-12-2011, 11:27 AM   #59
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen.stallebrass View Post
350 aint that bad I paid 230 ($360) to have the lot replaced last month by BMW.
The stock kickstand goes for $179 just by itself. I wouldn't call the sidekicker cheap, but given the OEM replacement cost, it's not that bad. Frankly, I'm tired of searching for a place with a slight up angle that I can park on so that the bike doesn't lean excessively.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:47 AM   #60
FredRydr OP

The "production design intent" prototype was shipped to me for fitment on my F800GS, and I'll be taking it up to Pennsylvania's Micheaux State Forest for a test run of hassles and PITA places to park a bike, and see how it makes life easier so that I can concentrate instead on the fun bits of riding. I hope it doesn't snow.

If you have any issues or questions you want me to watch for, please post them so that I can keep your concerns in mind as I assess the design prototype. The prototype won't address final finish and quality issues, as you can see in Steve's photos (above).

Fred

Now is the time to send a PM to me, stating that you want to be part of the group buy for the F800GS Sidekicker. Please include your real name and email address. No commitment or deposits required.

FredRydr screwed with this post 12-07-2011 at 07:12 PM