User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2012, 06:09 AM   #91
FredRydr OP
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,285
Talking IT'S READY - WHOLESALE PRICE UNTIL MAY 7th 2012

Okay, now that the footpad position has been finalized, the F800GS side kicker is going into production!

Our cost is $279.00 plus $14 shipping (in the US), the same as the best wholesale distributor price. Once it goes on the web site it will be $349.00. Note that our 20% discount will expire on July 18, 2012,.

The ordering details appear below in Steve's email to me. I'd rather not be a middleman, so please send your request to him directly at steve@aksengineering.com. Include in your email:

Subject: FH pre-buy for 800GS Side Kicker
Name
Shipping Address
Best Phone
Email
Year of F800GS

No deposit necessary. Steve will invoice you via PayPal when they are ready to ship in May.

I've asked Steve about the status of a Sidekicker for the F650GS twin.

Fred

Hi Fred;

I know you won't believe it, but we are now kicking off the first production 800GS Side Kickers!

We did the final fit up on the bike here and are leaving the foot pad in the same position you determined.

So if you want to start getting names of those interested that would be fantastic. The cost would be $279.00 plus $14 shipping (US), which is the same as the best wholesale distributor price. Once it goes on the web site it will be $349.00.

Expected timing would be by mid-May when we'll be ready to ship.

All we would need upfront would be the person's Name, Email, Address, Phone and Year of the Bike (no money please). If you want to collect the names that would be great but to save you the hassle they could send the info directly to me at: steve@aksengineering.com.

When we are ready to ship we will send them a "Request for Money" through Pay Pal, identifying it is for the 800GS Side Kicker and they can pay by credit card.

Unless something changes, we'll make the cut-off date to get their names in to us, for [July 13th], 2012.

For those sending the info directly to us it should contain the following.

"FH pre-buy for 800GS Side Kicker
Name
Address
Phone
Email
Year of Bike"

Hope the long time to get this done hasn't discouraged too many folks, but we just wanted to make sure it was done correctly.

Thanks so much for all your help and patience as well.

Regards;

Steve Ruth
AKS Engineering
4700 Jones Rd
Beaverton, MI 48612
989-274-3857
steve@aksengineering.com

FredRydr screwed with this post 07-10-2012 at 01:06 PM
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:29 AM   #92
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 858
Email sent! It'll be nice having a slightly longer (and stronger) sidestand after my 18" wheel conversion!
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:57 AM   #93
nzcvlh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I just added an 18" rear wheel to in addition to keeping my stock 17" rear for street use. So now I am interested in the stand options as well. One concern with the sidekicker. Please comment.

I think the stock stand springs are a bit weak and notice the sidestand bouncing when riding on more aggressive potholes and whoops off-road. I'm guessing the sidekicker weights a bit more and beacause of the adjustability, will have that weight further towards the pad end, amplifying the effect of that mass. Has there been any "off-road develoment in this area. Unlike alot of 1200GS owners, I actually ride off-road and don't want to just move the issue from a parked bike angle problem to a bouncing stand problem. I have not been able to locate stronger springs than the stock ones and adding an additional spring does not package.

If you can comment on this I would appreciate. If this has been comprehended and addressed, I'm in on one too.

Dave
nzcvlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:27 AM   #94
FredRydr OP

If you don't want to modify the many springs already out there from other bikes, just add another pair of OE springs next to the two BMW has already supplied.

Fred
Old 04-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #95
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,108
I have some questions as regards to length. I know the R1200GS version locks in 5 positions. My guess is the F800GS version will as well. What are those positions?

I know it will extend longer than stock, but will it also be capable of setting it shorter than stock as well?

Thanks
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #96
FredRydr OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B View Post
I have some questions as regards to length. I know the R1200GS version locks in 5 positions. My guess is the F800GS version will as well. What are those positions?

I know it will extend longer than stock, but will it also be capable of setting it shorter than stock as well?

Thanks
Not that I'm aware of. Contact Steve at AKS to see if it can be done.

Fred
Old 04-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #97
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzcvlh View Post
I just added an 18" rear wheel to in addition to keeping my stock 17" rear for street use. So now I am interested in the stand options as well.
Even at $279 it's cheaper to get .5" or 1" of steel added to the stock kickstand. I know what you mean about the 18" wheel needing a longer kicker, but adding .5" inches will not suffer the 17" wheel and it's just enough to solve the 18" issue.

If the siderkicker were $200 that would be reasonable but I'm not seeing $279 of materials and labor in the finished product. And $14 for continental shipping is about $4-5 more than UPS charges for the weight and size. The economy of scale will solve production profit issues: more quantity sold = more revenue overall vs few sold at a premium price.

Give it time and you'll see a chinese version reverse engineered for $99. There's always more than one way to solve an engineering problem, so the patent can be subverted and steel is cheap.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #98
shedmarket
Chris

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by señormoto View Post
Even at $279 it's cheaper to get .5" or 1" of steel added to the stock kickstand. I know what you mean about the 18" wheel needing a longer kicker, but adding .5" inches will not suffer the 17" wheel and it's just enough to solve the 18" issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by señormoto View Post

If the siderkicker were $200 that would be reasonable but I'm not seeing $279 of materials and labor in the finished product. And $14 for continental shipping is about $4-5 more than UPS charges for the weight and size. The economy of scale will solve production profit issues: more quantity sold = more revenue overall vs few sold at a premium price.

Give it time and you'll see a chinese version reverse engineered for $99. There's always more than one way to solve an engineering problem, so the patent can be subverted and steel is cheap.
Well Senor, I guess you won't be getting one then.

Let's hope you never spend a lot of time inventing, researching, testing and then manufacturing, to a high standard, a product you are proud of only to be ripped off by a lazy competitor who only cheaply copies. A great way to reward someones time and ingenuity.

Obviously, if your attitude is typical in your country, it goes a long way towards explaining your country's financial standing and also why you have to leave your country to find meaningful and rewarding employment.

As for your business advice about quantities versus price, this works with an unlimited target market but as these are purely for one particular model of bike, of which not every owner will purchase, you have a very limited and defined market. You see, it is also not clever to spend a large amount of capital making stock you will never sell, particularly when you add in the cost of obtaining that capital, but that is a whole other economics lesson best saved for another day.

Anyway, some useful information for those who do not object to paying for quality and rewarding effort, I emailed Steve to see how progress was going on the sidestands. his reply was,

Hi Chris;

Parts are now being machined, but it still will likely be near the end of June. When we have firm timing we'll be in touch.

Thanks;

Steve Ruth

AKS Engineering
4700 Jones Rd
Beaverton, MI 48612

989-274-3857

A little longer than I expected but, as they say in the classics, good things come to those who wait (and aren't too tight to pay for it).

Cheers

shedmarket screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 05:57 PM
shedmarket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #99
M N B
would rather be riding

I'd forgotten to send my email. Your post reminded me to get off my tookus and get 'er done!
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
Old 05-05-2012, 12:40 AM   #100
stephen.stallebrass
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
How many cheap Chinese copies of anything have you seen in the aftermarket adventure motorcycling parts world??? I can't think of a single thing. It's already an extremely small niche market... conversely, the Chinese copy industry is based on a mass market.

Nevertheless, I'm hitting the road early July, so any more delays and I'll be sticking with the stock side stand through Mongolia and Siberia!
Old 05-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #101
FairfaxPoker
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Dam missed it by one day. Any chance to do a group buy on their throttle locker? I would be the first in line
FairfaxPoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #102
FredRydr OP

Hello all. It's been a while.

I received the following email that's dated June 27th:

Hi Fred;

Believe it or not, the components are all finished and we are assembling this week!

I'll be notifying the pre-buy folks (about 10) next week on the details and how to order. We will hold the pre-buy sign-up until July 13th. We'll be out at the Rally in Sedalia the following week with them available at the regular price....

Thanks so much;

Steve Ruth
AKS Engineering
4700 Jones Rd
Beaverton, MI 48612
989-274-3857
steve@aksengineering.com

If you want one at the reduced price, contact Steve directly.

Fred
Old 07-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #103
M N B
would rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
Hello all. It's been a while.

I received the following email that's dated June 27th:

[I]Hi Fred;

Believe it or not, the components are all finished and we are assembling this week!

I'll be notifying the pre-buy folks (about 10) next week on the details and how to order. We will hold the pre-buy sign-up until July 13th. We'll be out at the Rally in Sedalia the following week with them available at the regular price....
I contacted him about the same time and he replied on 6/30, indicating shipping should occur the following week. That was 9 days ago, so I expect to hear from him any time now.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
Old 07-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #104
stephen.stallebrass
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Too late for me I'm hitting the road Saturday... it'll have to wait until I get back. Besides, the money will be better spent on fuel getting to Mongolia and Magadan. Thanks anyway. Look forward to seeing it on the bikes.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #105
FredRydr OP

It turns out that mine arrived late last week or over the weekend, and I picked it up at the post office today. I've mounted it on the bike, and as soon as I complete another project with the bike's handlebar, I'll take it out for a "test-park."

Fred