ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
Bigdog54 OP
MX X-Over Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Blue Ridge Parkway safety

Quick general paranoid question. I am planning on a small trip down the BRP on my motorcycle and camping along the way. I "PLANNED" to bring a firearm with me. I just learned tha Amtrack will not allow me to carry a firearm on the train. (I am riding up on the Auto-Train)

Is camping on the BRP super safe especially when camping in remote areas alone? The firarm was for protection from human and animals alike
Old 09-20-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
ReactorTrip
glows in the dark

Oddometer: 557
There are black bears, but they scare off easy. Just keep your food sealed and such. I camped there last year and didn't have any issues, but I stayed in campgrounds.
ReactorTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
GS_Jay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
I live along the BRP, and have not heard anything out of the campgrounds, especially the ones run by the NPS. They all have camp hosts, even the off in the woods areas in the NF off of the BRP has rangers that come along pretty often. We got caught camping in a place that WAS a posted campsite not but 2 weeks prior to us getting there (had scouted it out) but they "decommissioned" it and the ranger came by and saw us there and asked us to move along which wasn't too hard cause we were leaving that morning anyways, but at least he didn't give us a ticket. Carrying on the Pkwy isn't a problem, in the NF you can get fined if it is not in hunting season or the caliber is not a "hunting caliber" .30 or bigger... Just some musings from a NC boy...
Old 09-20-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 4,056
If it's your personal preferece to carry a firearm, no problem by me, but I can't imagine you needing one. I've backpacked/camped/riden in the area for years, including much more remote parts of the GW National Forest and have never felt the need for one. But I guess these days people wise you never know, as for da bears, just take the standard precautions and you'll be safe from Yogi and BooBoo .
Old 09-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #5
BMW Kurt
Bluesman

Oddometer: 10,528
I live one mile off the Parkway and ride/camp in the area. I have a CCW, but have never felt the need to carry. We are actually pretty nice people here and the bears are more scared of you than you are of them.
My Travel Blog
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

Oddometer: 5,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Kurt View Post
We are actually pretty nice people here.
Fucking Hippy

I have had a friend ride up here and camp in a very remote area, a black bear checked out his camp at 3 in the morning and tipped his KLR over.
He waz carrying but thought better of it and let the bear go on it's way, no harm no foul.

The Self-Preservation Society
BMW F800R Grin factor 10
08 Triumph 1050 Toight like a Toiger RIP
Bollocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:51 PM   #7
eightangrybears
Daily adventurer

Oddometer: 31
We got back from a 10 day camp/ride along the Natchez Trace, areas in NC, TN and AL and had no issues. The most wildlife we saw was a damn raccoon that kept knocking over our covered trash can. As was said before, most of the campsites have rangers that come along and help look out for people.

If you were planning on going off the BRP and camping out in the woods, that may be a different story, but like people said, the bears are pretty easy to scare off in that area. We aren't talking Alaskan Grizzlies who can't find food...
eightangrybears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
BMW Kurt
Bluesman

Oddometer: 10,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
Fucking Hippy

I have had a friend ride up here and camp in a very remote area, a black bear checked out his camp at 3 in the morning and tipped his KLR over.
He waz carrying but thought better of it and let the bear go on it's way, no harm no foul.
Probably upped the value of a KLR. Now that I think about it, I probably should carry. We got some unsavory foreigners around here!
My Travel Blog
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #9
DrLax
Go Big

Oddometer: 214
Women hikers seem to be to ones getting killed.
Back in 1996 there were two murdered on the Appalachian Trail near Skyland Lodge in Shenandoah National Park
DrLax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:10 PM   #10
Meeni
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
The place is safe. You certainly do not need a firearm. Black bears are small and easy to frighten, they are the only wildlife threat that you can deal with a firearm. More serious threat includes brown recluse spiders and snakes, firearms can do nothing with this. People in the area are very friendly.

Drlax: there was a crazy dude operating at this period there. He got caught. There is one guy like that every 20 years or so. Good that he got dealt with, but the chances you'll never ever meet one in your lifetime are so slim as to be effectively nonexistent, don't bother worrying about fictional bogymen. Your chances of a bad (human or wildlife) encounter a way lower by several order of magnitudes than your chances of crashing badly with the bike.

While you are in the area, go on the 28, the 129 and the skyway.

Meeni screwed with this post 09-20-2011 at 07:20 PM
Meeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #11
Brent T
2014 R1200RT

Oddometer: 37
Safe

You really don't need a gun to travel the BRP. I've been there many times and never felt even remotely unsafe...
Brent T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #12
DRanger
Rockerville Rider

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS_Jay View Post
I live along the BRP, and have not heard anything out of the campgrounds, especially the ones run by the NPS. They all have camp hosts, even the off in the woods areas in the NF off of the BRP has rangers that come along pretty often. We got caught camping in a place that WAS a posted campsite not but 2 weeks prior to us getting there (had scouted it out) but they "decommissioned" it and the ranger came by and saw us there and asked us to move along which wasn't too hard cause we were leaving that morning anyways, but at least he didn't give us a ticket. Carrying on the Pkwy isn't a problem, in the NF you can get fined if it is not in hunting season or the caliber is not a "hunting caliber" .30 or bigger... Just some musings from a NC boy...
Just curious about what you said regarding the carrying of firearms in the NF of your state. I can understand why a person could get fined for carrying a high power rifle outside of hunting season, or without the proper hunting license, but does the law also prohibit handguns meant for personal protection? Seems a little severe, but then each state has its own take on the 2nd Amendment.
DRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #13
V-rock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Keep the food away from the tent, it may not only attract bears but it will attract other smaller intruders that will be more persistent.

http://www.backpacker.com/learn_how_..._bag/videos/22

I do a lot of hiking and backpacking and never had any problem with bears. Keep your distance when you see one, take pictures and leave him alone. If he gets into camp make a lot of noise and he rather go someplace else.

Non raiders are either afraid of motorcyclist (too many movies) or fascinated by them.

V-rock screwed with this post 09-20-2011 at 08:05 PM
V-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #14
GS_Jay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRanger View Post
Just curious about what you said regarding the carrying of firearms in the NF of your state. I can understand why a person could get fined for carrying a high power rifle outside of hunting season, or without the proper hunting license, but does the law also prohibit handguns meant for personal protection? Seems a little severe, but then each state has its own take on the 2nd Amendment.
Well, I am not up to date on the law apparently. The USFS followed suit with the NPS and now follow state law in which they operate. Odd for the feds to be usurped by a state (sounds like states rights eh?), but that appears it is the way it is. Carry away in both NPS and USFS in NC.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #15
Bigdog54 OP
MX X-Over Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
LOL, thanks for all the replies and humor.

You can check a unloaded, declared firearm in your checked bagges IF the train has a baggage car. Amtrack says the "Auto Train" does not have a baggage car therefore I can not check it.

I can carry the Firearm ANYWHERE in the US, Current Law Enforcement.

And after 17 years of being shot at in Jacksonville it's a habit. Might be silly but it's like a security blanket for a 2 year old.

I may try to ship it but there are US regulations about shipping firearms unless your an authorized dealer. Big Brother is getting into everything.