ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2011, 08:23 PM   #31
ReactorTrip
glows in the dark

Oddometer: 556
It's funny how weirded out people get about guns. It would be funny if they knew who was carrying around them all the time. My XD will be with me on the BRP all this weekend. Watch out for the scary blue GS.
ReactorTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:21 PM   #32
Bigdog54 OP
MX X-Over Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
I'll be on the red GS covered with Wolfman bags.......with a big knife, LOL
Old 09-22-2011, 03:13 AM   #33
Iball
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
After many years spent traveling this world courtesy of your tax dollars, when I fly back to the states there's one thing that NEVER leaves my side - a nice .45 ACP or 9mm handgun in a Crossbreed concealed holster - or my old tanker's holster or variant of if riding.

I walked out of work at 2am in downtown Kansas City and right into the middle of a gangland shootout.

I've crossed a railroad bridge deep in the woods in NC and when an AMTRAK train started passing by some nut in a van whipped out a rifle and started SHOOTING at it.

Insanity can rear its deadly head anywhere at any time. I'd rather have my pistol and not need it than need it and not have it. Only people who have never had someone actively trying to kill them decry a law-abiding citizen's right to carry a firearm. Overseas there are entire countries that will actively try to harm any American they see. Ask a deployed soldier.

Not the wildlife I'm concerned about....it's other human beings that tend to get stupid and try to kill you. Particularly in anti-gun states like California, Illinois, New Jersey (no hollowpoints?!?!?!), and New York. Main reason I never visit those states and probably never will. Any money I spend I try to not send to those states.

For wildlife...there's my Steyr Scout rifle in .308. That does the job pretty damn well and is one of the best rifles I've ever owned. I've taken a few deer with it at around 250 yards, and it's light and carries easily. We have a black bear that kind of "lives" on the farm and the word is out to NEVER harm that bear at all. He stays by himself down in the deep woods near a certain section of the river and stays away from the farm house and our trash cans so we make sure he's not bothered by anyone. The local hunters know to stay out of there and they do so willingly because they know the deer stay out of there and the bear's presence kind of "herds" them back towards the field and away from the deep woods and the river. Even the dogs and wild hogs stay out of there.

So yeah, when I'm riding and/or camping I ALWAYS have a firearm with me well within arm's reach. Haven't had to kill anything yet that didn't already need killing.

So for those of you in here who don't like citizen's carrying firearms - stay the hell out of North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Virginia, Tennessee, Mississippi, and Louisiana. Because chances are just about everyone you meet is either carrying on their person, has one in their car/truck, or in a pannier on their motorcycle. And most of us can't be bothered with you, much less shoot or otherwise harm you because you just don't matter to us that much.
ADV riders though....we'll talk your ears off asking questions and telling stories. :)
Iball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:28 AM   #34
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,836
I could be in error, but . . . I think recent federal legislation permits firearms in national parks (e.g., BRP, Skyline Drive), consistent with applicable state regulations therein. Previously, I think firearms were prohibited in national parks.

Thus, if one wants to "carry" along the BRP, a check of the local state laws (e.g., open vs. concealed carry; loaded vs. unloaded in a vehicle, etc.) might be worthwhile.

While I wouldn't consider the BRP/SD high crime/threat/risk areas myself, as John Wayne might have said, "Do what you gotta do, Pilgrim!"
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:02 AM   #35
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
FFL holder?

BRP is safe, animals around campgrounds are reasonably safe as long as you (the camper) follow the rules for food storage around animals. If you prefer to legally carry a firearm then that is your choice - sorta like wearing a helmet when state regulations don't require you to do so. Your choice does not interfere with my choice - just the way it should be.

Thought about shipping your firearm to a FFL license holder and picking it up when you arrive in town? Anywhere with a train station will have FFL holders.

I've been riding and camping the BRP for several decades with no safety issues other than motorists, watch out for the leaf peepers. It's nice riding area, enjoy.

4PawsHacienda screwed with this post 09-22-2011 at 06:08 AM Reason: spelling.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:21 AM   #36
MarylandStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
I'm surprised nobody has brought this up yet, but why take the train? If you live in Jacksonville, push the bike out of the garage and start riding. You should be in lower PA or Western Maryland in about 12 hours. Grab a hotel for the night and then start your adventure south the next morning.

I suspect riding north shouldn't take too much longer than the time it takes to check in with Amtrak, load your bike and then ride the train north.

I picked up an Amtrak train in Baltimore this past winter. Admittedly it wasn't an Auto-train. I was all set to go through security before boarding the train. But when the train arrived, I left the waiting area and jumped right on. No security whats-so-ever.

Enjoy your trip and watch out for all the radar traps on the BRP!
MarylandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:28 AM   #37
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,526
Your biggest risk riding the parkway is going to be deer. You certainly would not be the 1st to shoot one from a moving vehicle but unless you are really good hitting one from the saddle of your bike could prove to be a challenge. But since you are in law enforcement your training may make it easier. I'm certain it's not legal but the prospect of an embedded video in your RR of a direct hit, on the fly, mid corner could make it worth the risk. Extra points for 2 guns a blazing.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #38
DRanger
Rockerville Rider

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
I could be in error, but . . . I think recent federal legislation permits firearms in national parks (e.g., BRP, Skyline Drive), consistent with applicable state regulations therein. Previously, I think firearms were prohibited in national parks.

Thus, if one wants to "carry" along the BRP, a check of the local state laws (e.g., open vs. concealed carry; loaded vs. unloaded in a vehicle, etc.) might be worthwhile.

While I wouldn't consider the BRP/SD high crime/threat/risk areas myself, as John Wayne might have said, "Do what you gotta do, Pilgrim!"
Spot on with the new changes in federal regulations regarding concealed carry inside NPS jurisdiction. Check the existing state and local laws that the NPS now abides. Be advised, however, that you are not allowed to carry a firearm or any weapon inside a federal building that is manned by NPS staff, such as a visitor center, park information center, or park headquarters.

For the OP: Doesn't your LE agency authorize you to carry while off duty? Should be a simple matter of just showing your credentials to the AMTRAK security and filling out a paper in order to travel armed. I guess I don't see why you have a problem, unless you're retired from active LE duty, or your agency has a policy issue.
DRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:11 AM   #39
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,055
All you really need is a pic-a-nic basket full of sandwiches.

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
hppyfngy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #40
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,320
Send it to an FFL near where you'll be getting off the train (Lorton), and pick it up from him/her. Altho' recommended, you do not need an FFL to send it to another FFL. You can do that yourself.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #41
BMW Kurt
Taker of Pictures

Oddometer: 10,142
The best way to keep the bears away is to smear yourself with bacon. Bears can't stand bacon.
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:36 PM   #42
BigDoc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
The biggest threats

If I were you, I would watch out for BMW Kurt, Bollocks, and that damn Kilted Yak. I don't think a sidearm will be enough. Carry a .12 gauge with a five shot magazine and a back up.
BigDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:43 PM   #43
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Oddometer: 860
Last month I spent about a week on the BRP and the Smokey Mountains riding and camping. Saw a few deer on the BRP, nothing else. Out in the Smokies I ran into deer, wild hogs, various snakes, and a beautiful wolf, who just couldn't be troubled to give me the time of day. No bears, just piles of bear poop.

Whenever I head out to the mountains, it isn't a matter of whether to carry or not, rather it is a matter of what ammo goes in the guns; snake shot for the revolver, FMJs for the .45 ACP (they make big enough holes in bad guys, too. Gotta love the .45! )

I must say, though, even though I could have laid siege to a small town, the friggin chiggers tore me up. After being home about a week, I had half a dozen huge scabs on my hands....

Give it more gas, if it doesn't solve the problem it will at least end the suspense.
TheWorstKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:46 PM   #44
Clockwatcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
If I feel the need.................

When I feel the need to carry personal protection, I usually make it look like moto parts when i think it may be a problem.
Thats just my way of dealing with whatever needs to be dealt with.......
Clockwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:20 PM   #45
Bigdog54 OP
MX X-Over Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Thanks for all the advice and color commentary.

Iball - Your ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. People are freakin crazy, animals are just hungry

XDragRacer - your right but as a Current Law Enforement Officer i can carry it anywhere, ect Planes, Trains, Court House, Bars, ect.

MarylandStrom - Im taking the train because I dont think my A$$ would take 12 hours. And if I did that on the first day I'd be in pain for the rest of the trip. Although next time I might give it a try cause the Train has been a pain.

DRanger - You are correct, if they ever SAW the firearm all i would need to do is show my badge and ID

BMW Kurt - I'm not scared of bears its the dang Honey Badgers that have me all worked up

TheWorstKind - Yes .45 is great, AR10 better