ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2011, 07:50 PM   #61
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb View Post
Got to love end of season blow outs at the resort bike shops!

Stopped by Totally Wired in Fraser and picked up:

- Joplin 4 seat post for $50 (for the newer Yeti)
- Giro Remedy CF carbon fiber full face downhill helmet, also $50.
(They list for about $280 each)

They also had bike jerseys for $10, bike shorts for $10, Gloves for $5.

There's a law against theft, you know.

Man, I work part time at a bike shop in my semi-retired years. You scored huge there. Congrats.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:25 PM   #62
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattomoto View Post
You bet! With a name like FatChance, did you every have Chris Chances' bikes in the day? Yo Eddy perhaps? One of my very favorite bikes of all time!
Never did. I started out with a new Stumpjumper Sport (I couldn't afford the original Stumpjumper) when they first came out in the mid-80s, then a chrome frame Ross Mt. Whitney and a Trek 8500. I love the original Stumpjumper advertisement Specialized is running in the current Dirt Rag. I remember when fat tires got a lot of weird stares and questions back in the day! I've enjoyed the evolution!

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #63
simple
noob this

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
The drop seat posts are supposed to be fantastic if you ride lots of technical terrain. They are getting better, but I still hear lots of stories about frequent rebuilds and adjustments, as well as outright failures... Plus they are PF expensive!

I'm kind of saved from all the seatpost drama as one of the few downsides of the older frame Yeti's is a 27.2mm seatpost, which has almost no options for drop posts! (One UK manufacturer with a bit of a funky post does make a 27.2)
I've been riding drop posts for many years now. Maverick Speedballs at first and now Joplin 4 posts. The Joplin 4 seems to addressed the issues with the Speedball and Joplin 3 design flaws. The Rock Shox Reverb is very nice and the newest model has some tweaks that addressed the first year issues. Lots of other brands as well including Kind Shock, XFusion, and now Fox and Giant have theirs for next year.

Yes, having a 27.2 post is a drawback but you are not without options. Gravity Dropper, which I still think more people run than other brands, has a 27.2 post. So does XFusion, which makes the Specialized Commandpost.

Having the drop post gives you that moto feeling on any downhill. It is addictive!
Old 09-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #64
simple
noob this

Oddometer: 249
Quote:

- Joplin 4 seat post for $50 (for the newer Yeti)
- Giro Remedy CF carbon fiber full face downhill helmet, also $50.
(They list for about $280 each)
They gave those to you. Honestly.

If the Joplin 4 gives you trouble bring it to Dirt Labs in Boulder. Luby is an expert at suspension, especially drop posts and he often can get it fixed and returned to you in the same day. Sending out to Crank Brothers usually takes over a week and costs the same as bringing it to Dirt Labs.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:01 AM   #65
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post

If the Joplin 4 gives you trouble bring it to Dirt Labs in Boulder. Luby is an expert at suspension, especially drop posts and he often can get it fixed and returned to you in the same day. Sending out to Crank Brothers usually takes over a week and costs the same as bringing it to Dirt Labs.
Thanks for the 27.2mm drop seatpost and Dirt Labs tips!
Old 09-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #66
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post

+1.. Luby is the man. Great for mtb fork and shock rebuilds as well. I think he's the only other authorized service guy for Fox shocks aside from PUSH.
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:01 AM   #67
TchncnDen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Thursday night rides
For anyone interested, we have a group of about 20 guys who ride JeffCo trails every Thursday night, next week is Mt. Falcon. Show up at 6pm, bring your lights and some beers/food for a parking lot bbq after the ride. PM me if you need more details, otherwise show up on the schedule below
Due to knee surgery gone bad my moto and DH bikes have not left the garage this year. I can still pedal though, I will be at Falcon tonight.
TchncnDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:00 PM   #68
Greco
Momma's boys

Oddometer: 946
I hope its Kosher to ressurect this thread. My wife and I just bought each other mountain bikes for our 20th wedding anniversary coming up on Saturday - yep New Year's Eve. Still the best party I ever attended was my own wedding reception. I have ridden BMX as a kid and moved onto Enduro and Hare Scrambles once my dad introduced me to off road racing in my teens. Needless to say, its been a really long time since I've ridden a bicycle.

I went with a hardtail Scott Aspect 29'er. I really wanted to go full suspension, but I think I'm too heavy for one right now. I think they refer to it as being a Clydesdale. Also, by staying with the hardtail, I saved a bunch of money over the full suspension model. Until I know for sure this is something I'm going to really get into, I didn't want to break the bank on a bike. The Scott has Shimano components and hydraulic disc brakes. Not sure about the SunTour XCR fork, but it has a full lock out. I got the wife a Trek Marlin.

Any tips for getting my biking legs back before I venture out? I tried the Expresso Cycling Trainer at the gym last night and it almost killed me! There was a pacer guy on the screen and I did my best to beat him around the simulated "trail" by as much time as I could. At the end of the "ride", my thighs were fried and I had only gone a simulated 3.25mi. Pretty disheartening to say the least. The guy said sprint! So I did. Bad idea.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:10 PM   #69
Special Purpose

Oddometer: 5,454
Hey, this is a timely thread for me..

Breaking my leg back in August led to my deciding to get off the motos for awhile and renewed my interest in bicycling. I'm still not allowed to ride, but have been preparing by riding the stationary bike at the gym. I have a final appointment with the doc on January 11th. I expect to be given the go ahead to start riding then. This will be one week before my 40th birthday, which somehow seems fitting.

So I just picked this up:

2009 Commencal Meta 6. Should make for a good all-mountain ride. I am really looking forward to getting this on some trails.

I'm also interested in reviving some of my BMX background and doing some small dirt jumping and pump track riding. For this, I dug out my old 24" BMX cruiser and restored it. This thing was in pretty lousy shape, but I'm really pleased with how it's turned out. Funny, I'm almost as excited to ride a bike I've owned for 15 years as I am the one I just got.

1995 Bontrager B29 Cruiser. Made in the USA from True Temper steel.

I've had this bike for a while. Only used it as a townie, but it may see some light trail use in the future:

Lousy pic, but it's an SE Stout Singlespeed 29er set up with a bit of old-school BMX flair. This bike is super fun to ride.

Part of the appeal of the bikes is that it's more family-friendly than the motos, so the family couldn't be left out.

Picked this one up for Mrs. 309:

Should make a pretty good first trail bike. My wife does triathalons. She's gonna kick my butt.

Lastly, it was time to upgrade the kids bike as well:

Grip shifter and a suspension fork. Pretty fancy kids bike.

Can't wait for the snow to melt! I should be up for rides pretty soon...
309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:01 PM   #70
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,468
I like mountain bikes, and have lots of different kinds of them and like to ride them all over the place with other people.

I also could potentially be faster or slower than you, but almost certainly your bikes could beat mine up, since not a single
bike I own has any gears at the moment.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots screwed with this post 12-28-2011 at 05:09 PM
VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #71
bradrh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco View Post
I hope its Kosher to ressurect this thread. My wife and I just bought each other mountain bikes for our 20th wedding anniversary coming up on Saturday - yep New Year's Eve.
Any tips for getting my biking legs back before I venture out? I tried the Expresso Cycling Trainer at the gym last night and it almost killed me! There was a pacer guy on the screen and I did my best to beat him around the simulated "trail" by as much time as I could. At the end of the "ride", my thighs were fried and I had only gone a simulated 3.25mi. Pretty disheartening to say the least. The guy said sprint! So I did. Bad idea.
Best advice I have is to get outside! Indoors is better than nothing, but boring and painful. I think the trails in CSprings dry up sometimes during the winter don't they? The roads in the front range are clear most of the winter, I know, not as much fun as dirt, but better than a stationary bike. Ride w/ the wifey. If she's a lot slower, sneak out w/o her sometimes. If she's faster, work harder to keep up :)
bradrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #72
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco View Post
The guy said sprint! So I did. Bad idea.
Nobody I trail ride with sprints unless it's for getting enough speed to clean a jump. That shit's for XC racers.

If you want to get some dry winter riding in you'll need to head a couple hours south down to Pueblo Reservoir. One of the few decent riding spots that stays dry most the winter. VBP in Boulder my get cleaned off too.. if you can find a local pump track, then start hitting it.. those can keep you in killer shape while improving bike handling.

Or, if you're a little imbalanced, you can take up cyclocross racing.. that'll get the lungs tuned up.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:56 PM   #73
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
Damn Yeti's are taking over.. I went back to SpecialEd for my trail bike this year.
not completely. i'm on a Santa Cruz Blur (in storage for the winter, brought my hardtail to MX)
but gonna do a Moots one day...ya know Steamboat hdqs and all.
got ride the locally produced bike if possible.
http://moots.com/our-bike/mtb-26/divide/overview/
Attached Images

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Labor Day Sale: $10/map (6-10 maps) + free case
http://www.butlermaps.com/6for60
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #74
DR-Bee
WTF?

Oddometer: 130
My mountain bike...

This is the hard tail I made myself. I used to build custom cro-mo bike frames back in the day. 1996-2003. In the late 90's when the full suspension started coming around and things were getting made more and more over seas I couldn't keep up. At least I have my own mtn, road and cross bikes as a nice momento from that era. Still ride quite a bit. If the weather is crap it's a spin class at the local gym. Good way to burn 2000+ calories.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:34 AM   #75
codys
Lost in the Vizcaino

Oddometer: 1,245

My 2 cents is to do what it takes to make the riding fun. It's a challenge while you're getting into pedal shape but it can be done. Don't try to conquer the mtn right off the bat.

In the spring I try to do some sort of interval training to get back in shape. Warm up for about 15 minutes and then do repeated cycles of 1minute pedal at atleast 90 percent max and then 3-4 minutes at easy pace. I repeat this for atleast half an hour or so. Once you notice improvement the addiction begins.

Oh and good gear like in motorcycling goes a long ways . Get atleast one pair of padded shorts/tights. Long rides get easier or atleast more comfortable. Also load that camelbak with water and hydrate often.

Pedal on!