Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2015, 05:12 PM   #1
jwawhite OP
Yeah, it's a Selfie

Oddometer: 69
Need a bit of Help on Fork installation

F 700 Tour Tech front springs install

We have the wheel, fork brace, and the two triple clamps.

Need help in proper assy and torque.

The axle and wheel should be installed but not tightened, the fork brace should be installed but not tightened also the forks but not tightened.

Should the fork brace be the first torque? then onto the clamps and lastly the wheel?

What is the proper order? I know if the fork brace is not installed first, the front axle will not line up...ask me how I know from a previous bike...

Have all the torque specs need to know if this is the proper sequence. Responses will be appreciated!
jwawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:12 PM   #2
Girthy Knobkers
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
I would tighten the axle/wheel so you know the forks/wheel are aligned, then tighten the brace as to keep everything straight. Think of it like a dirtbike with tweaked tubes. You would loosen the clamps/brace and knock it straight with the wheel in place and torqued.

That being said, I'm wrong a lot. Ask my ex girlfriends.
Girthy Knobkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:59 PM   #3
jwawhite OP
Yeah, it's a Selfie

Going back together

Thanks for responding

Placed the forks up in the trees with the new springs and heavier oil. Torqued to specs

I lined up the lower forks and threaded in the axle, to align them, and then installed and torqued the brace.

I know the lower forks are square for the axle spun out easy and there will be no trouble installing the wheel and the rest. But.

How does one determine if the fork uppers are even? The factory manual reads of a bent piece of wire that is placed in the crack of the upper tree and I guess rests on the appearance cover, cap. We don't have this special tool and it may not be listed in the BMW tool section. We noticed that the upper tubes with the progressive springs can sag--- the upper tubes into the lower tubes by gravity, a bit. So we eyeballed the height of the tubes as close as possible as stock before torqueing. There is a bevel at the top of each tube and the bottom of the bevel is just above the top triple clamp.

Does it matter if the upper tubes are off-- just so little? ---if the lower is "boxed"? We believe they are mounted at the same height. Do the springs just accept this potential offset? Does it really matter? Perhaps I'll find a good piece of wire tomorrow and bend it to the L fork and see if it matches the R fork.....

Installation of the top plugs, pushing them down, was a bit easier with the new springs.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:45 PM   #4
jwawhite OP
Yeah, it's a Selfie

Why not a real tool?

A digital micrometer might be able to read from the top triple to top of fork tube. Yeah, that's the ticket!