Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 07:29 AM   #271
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Blanco View Post
Good to hear your's worked out. After a new chain, tensioner and guides mine still sounds like a sewing machine
I figured something wasn't right with the chain swap as my motor wasn't any quieter and in fact had a new noise. When I ordered parts, I got 2 tensioners so I'd have a spare. I swapped the second new one in the other day and things got a whole lot quieter.

There had been a low dull knocking noise (new) after the swap. After much listening with the bike idling we ruled out bottom and top end. The bulk of the noise was on the left side. I think it was the chain bouncing off the guides and resonating. Anyway, the new spare tensioner did the trick

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #272
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Blanco View Post
I figured something wasn't right with the chain swap as my motor wasn't any quieter and in fact had a new noise. When I ordered parts, I got 2 tensioners so I'd have a spare. I swapped the second new one in the other day and things got a whole lot quieter.

There had been a low dull knocking noise (new) after the swap. After much listening with the bike idling we ruled out bottom and top end. The bulk of the noise was on the left side. I think it was the chain bouncing off the guides and resonating. Anyway, the new spare tensioner did the trick
That is just crazy..... But as we had a failed $25K Pressurization controller on our aircraft.... the brand new replacement, did not work either.... third one was good though...... So no matter of what the part goes in...... It can be defective.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #273
bumbee800
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
riveting chain master link

For those that have done the job, how are you riveting the master link? I have got the new master link and it is a solid pin design. I did not think you could mushroom a solid pin with out great force. I also got the pit posse cam chain breaker recommended for the job, but it does not seem to have any riveting functionality. Here is the tool I purchased

http://pitposse.com/poentichbrri.html

If any one has some more details around how the link was riveted, I would appreciate it.

thanks
bumbee800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #274
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbee800 View Post
For those that have done the job, how are you riveting the master link? I have got the new master link and it is a solid pin design. I did not think you could mushroom a solid pin with out great force. I also got the pit posse cam chain breaker recommended for the job, but it does not seem to have any riveting functionality. Here is the tool I purchased

If any one has some more details around how the link was riveted, I would appreciate it.

thanks
The product description of that chain breaker you posted the link to clearly states that one end is for pin removal and the other is for riveting. Usually, the master link will have a "soft" pin that is specific to it and will mushroom.
You might want to get someone to help you with the job.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #275
bumbee800
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
The product description of that chain breaker you posted the link to clearly states that one end is for pin removal and the other is for riveting. Usually, the master link will have a "soft" pin that is specific to it and will mushroom.
You might want to get someone to help you with the job.
The description on the web site and the instructions on the back of the product do not jive. The instructions on the back said one end is for breaking the chain ie forcing the pin out and the other is for forcing the pin back in. It gives no instructions for actually riveting the end. I am quite familiar with riveting my drive chain and have done that process before so I am quite confident in doing the job my self, I just wanted clarification that this master link is indeed the riveting type instead of what is known as the press fit link. If some one who has done the job themselves, if they did the riveting process could you give some more detail about how you did it and what tools if any you used to do it.

thanks
Old 07-13-2013, 12:50 AM   #276
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbee800 View Post

thanks
It is a solid pin with no soft end. I was concerned with it too. It doesn't require much distortion to keep the side plate in place. It took much less force than I expected to mushroom the head.

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:32 AM   #277
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Use a small punch and hammer to mushroom the pin ends while a buddy holds a metal block on the back side of the pin. Only need 0.005" mushroom to get the pin to stay in position

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #278
bumbee800
Adventurer

Press fit or not

Are we sure this style of master link is not what they call a press fit design where there is enough interference between the pin and the outer plate that when pressed together it is designed to not require riveting. From doing some reading my understanding is that the master links that require riveting are distinguishable by the end of the pins having a slightly different (darker) color metal, where they have transitioned to a softer metal. Also they have dimples in the end where you are suppose to apply force to peen the heads over. These pins have no such distinguishing marks. Please read this thread where they discuss the same issues

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?to...941#msg1056941

They also mention that if it is a press fit design that trying to peen it could actually be worse than leaving at a press fit.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #279
Olvi
Ice Butt

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams View Post
Now I'm getting excited as 82 RH 2015 has master links available
So I bought one (a K&L supply one) from http://www.z1enterprises.com
Since z1enterprises is a US company, I need to find some place to purchase one in Europe. So master link is supplied by K&L, right? I can find a lot of master links but they are for some Suzuki and Kawasaki models and they look totally different than chain in F8GS

Somewhere around I found one by D.I.D but I'm not able to find any images of that . I think I will order it and see what it appears to be.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:52 PM   #280
der-Seppel
Dominik

Oddometer: 368
Hey guys i am just replacing my Cam Chain right now with the master link method.
Is there an easy way to feed the chain through the engine without moving the crank?

I have split both chains and connected them so far.

Problem is I am on a trip ... don't have access to most tool

Where am I ?
en.dmoto.de Exploring Australia
der-Seppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:59 PM   #281
der-Seppel
Dominik

Oddometer: 368
okay just read through the thread again and found this ...
now I just have to find out how to reset the engine timing(?) after I have done that ...

It is horrible when you have to do jobs like this on your own because you don't have the money to get it done by a shop but you don't have the skills that are required. It guess it is time to learn it :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
Make sure you remove the cam chain tensioner.
You need to break the cam chain and connect the old chain to the new one on one end.
Then while a buddy rotates the rear wheel very slowly you need to guide the new chain on and replace it.
Then rebreak the connection with the old chain and connect the new chain to itself it barely fits for the final connection that is why you need to pull the chain tensioner to get all the slack you can.

Where am I ?
en.dmoto.de Exploring Australia
der-Seppel is offline   Reply With Quote