www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,830

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:17 AM   #183
Codewheeney
Hoopy Frood

Oddometer: 2,535
Crap! The few shots we saw on OLN were awesome, I was really wishing them the best. Thanks for taking us along on the journey.

So, Scott, gonna give it a go again next year?

Plays in traffic.
Codewheeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:33 AM   #184
mr7q
Stupid and Contagious

Oddometer: 307
Nuts.
mr7q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:15 AM   #185
cazevedo
MotoXplorers.com

Oddometer: 120
Old 01-04-2006, 08:09 PM   #186
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,764

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:15 PM   #187
lemmiwinks
sometime dirt squirter

Oddometer: 585
How very disappointing. I can only imagine how disappointed the guys are. I really hope they can compete next year as I really enjoyed following their preparation. Can't wait for the race report!
"To a man of imagination, a map is a window to adventure." -- Sir Francis Chichester (1902-1972)

lemmiwinks screwed with this post 01-05-2006 at 07:17 PM Reason: Spelling!!
lemmiwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:03 AM   #188
Iceout
Charlie's brother

Oddometer: 32
We're still pulling for you guys!

Scott and Duane,

Formidable effort guys! No doubt we all hoped to see you at the finish this year. Scott, I know you're not beaten. This has been a dream for too long. I encourage anyone with resources or connections to aid Scott's effort for 2007. I have a feeling we'll soon see you smiling in Dakar!

Dave
Iceout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:43 AM   #189
HogWild OP
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,528
A great big THANKS!

Thanks everyone here for cheering us on. Duane and I did our best and got caught really early by a mechanical at a most unfortunate time. Other than that one issue, the bike was working really well. We're confident with a fix of the sprocket issue, and a few minor tweaks, we're ready for another go at Dakar. It was an amazing experience, and we only regret that we didn't get at least a few more days into it. We did come home with two Dakar stage wins in our category, so most things went very well!

Thanks to Bill Bartels' and Bartels H-D for the significant financial and technical help. Thanks also to ONeal, Works Performance, Tire Balls, Baja Designs, Hapag-Lloyd, and Rally Raid UK for your excellent products and support. With our eye on Dakar 2007, well need more to join this list. We get amazing media exposure, so we can really make it worth your while to join us.

Thanks to Carlos, Carlos, and all the other Nomads of Portugal for making our stay in Lisboa very enjoyable, and amazingly helpful. I sure hope we can return there in 2007, and you can visit us here someday soon!

Thanks to all the Team Hog Wild contributors. This is an outrageously expensive race, and every bit of help is appreciated. I hope we gave you all some enjoyment and a small connection to the race.

Thanks to Kevin Heath for the long conversations and all the priceless Dakar advice. Get well soon!

Thanks to Charlie for his amazingly assembled team, and Robb and the gang for helping us out. Get well soon Charlie. Go Jonah!

Thanks Dave/Iceout. Your thoughts and suggestions above are greatly appreciated. Hope your hands are doing well. I thought of you a few times out there when I had to hold the throttle at 80% for a couple of hours straight. That's no fun for the hands and arms!

Thanks to brother Eric (WildTurkey), who appears to have had a hidden mic on us because his insights were right on the money! And Dad, who is still out there somewhere in Africa. And Mom, who held down the fort while we were out playing. Family is everything, and Im blessed to have such a great nest on all sides!

And a very very special thanks to Adriana for putting up with a couple years if absent husband. Without your moral support and endless understanding, I would have been sitting at the TV just dreaming of that impossible adventure, Dakar.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:55 AM   #190
HogWild OP
Scott Whitney

The Story

I finally got started with our story from the race. It's got a few photos to go along with it. Since everyone wants to know the details of what went wrong, I started the story with the day our problems hit. I'll fill in the before and after as soon as I can. Check it out on our news page here:
Hog Wild News

Plus, here's a group shot of most of the USA Privateer Dakar gang at the hotel in Lisbon. We caught all the riders except Kevin Heath, and most of the assistance crew are there:

Old 01-22-2006, 09:17 PM   #191
HogWild OP
Scott Whitney

I completed our Dakar Stage 1 story (happier times than Stage 3):
http://www.hogwildracing.com/blog/index.php?itemid=37

See the crowd dive for cover (Dakar Stage 1):
Old 01-23-2006, 11:29 AM   #192
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458

Scott, great stuff. Thanks for the first-hand accounting.

I presume the chain tensioner will be a permanent addition to the rig -- any thoughts about changing the countershaft sprocket mounting to facilitate easier field repair? (It's freaking amazing what can get done on a moment's notice in Africa, though -- that story about the sprocket fabrication was awesome!!!)

What was Kirsten Gum really like? Did you get the feeling that she was a genuine enthusiast, or just a journalist doing a job? It's hard to tell from the TV coverage, and I know the producers can have a pretty tight reign on things.

Hope you guys can bring the effort back for next year -- you've gathered lots of valuable experience (as brief as this rally was).

Cheers,

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:18 PM   #193
HogWild OP
Scott Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
I presume the chain tensioner will be a permanent addition to the rig -- any thoughts about changing the countershaft sprocket mounting to facilitate easier field repair? (It's freaking amazing what can get done on a moment's notice in Africa, though -- that story about the sprocket fabrication was awesome!!!)
We built a chain tensioner in the bivouac in Morocco after we had the problem. But it was not the hottest design, so we'll redo it when the bike gets home. The other thing we'll do is make sure our custom sprockets have proper heat treating. Those two things should completely solve the problem. No need for exotic alternatives. As a backup, you know we'll have a spare sprocket on the bike next time! It's not difficult to change the sprocket (15 minutes), if you have one in hand when it's needed. Our problem was there wasn't anything like our custom sprocket anywhere except in our spare parts boxes hundreds of miles ahead of us. So we had to do our best to fabricate one on the spot. We did that, but it took longer than the one hour time window we had at the start of the Special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
What was Kirsten Gum really like? Did you get the feeling that she was a genuine enthusiast, or just a journalist doing a job? It's hard to tell from the TV coverage, and I know the producers can have a pretty tight reign on things.
She seemed genuinely enthusiastic about our participation and our interesting story that day. I'm not sure she knows much about off-road racing, but the enthusiasm was there to get a good story. She wasn't allowed to report the story she wanted.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:26 PM   #194
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,179
Scott,
Shameless plug for Ceradure, who were a sponsor this year, but they make an aluminium sprocket that is ceramic and teflon coated. I used one for five days with virtually no wear. (I'll send a pic if you like when I get the bike back.) They also coated my front steel ones.
They have been used in the ISDE here and one set of sprockets did the full six day enduro.
Small, newish company in Holland.

Their site is in Dutch, but they speak English as well.
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 07:54 PM   #195
HogWild OP
Scott Whitney

To help identify myself here, I have changed my username to HogWild. My old name Zijspan (means sidecar in Dutch) will drift away over time.

--------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPiA
Shameless plug for Ceradure, who were a sponsor this year, but they make an aluminium sprocket that is ceramic and teflon coated.
Thanks Pete. I'll look into that. We definately need a solution to the sprocket problem, and the ceramic coating sound like a good possibility.

Here's what one of our custom front sprockets looks like before use:

--------------------------------

A few more nice photos came in from a fan in Portugal, Dakar Stage 1: