Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2011, 11:39 PM   #46
God of Speed OP
Lost when found..........

Oddometer: 1,058
so ive been pretty busy, the build is done, aswell as a rough carb tune, the engine is running well now with responsiveness and good idling, which is surprising as i havent even changed the stock jetting from the mikuni tmx40 carb which was meant for a cr250r.

i will put a chain on it this weekend and see how it handles going around the block in the next few days.

-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
God of Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:56 PM   #47
God of Speed OP

-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
Old 12-10-2011, 12:31 AM   #48
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,788
Thumb

Music
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:32 AM   #49
FatBoyCrash
Buckle up SpankY!!

Oddometer: 1,123
Sweet as Bro!!!
Old 12-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #50
Ian Robinson
SlowRobo

Oddometer: 286
She sounds great. ( nothing better than a open expansion chamber) might see you there. Best of luck .
Ian Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #51
God of Speed OP

Sponsorship support

Hi guys,

if you could please read this post and consider supporting me that would be great!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=165

sponsorship includes your desired nickname on the bike and a GOS shirt:
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ

God of Speed screwed with this post 01-12-2012 at 11:05 PM
Old 01-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #52
God of Speed OP

Update

ok, so an update.

i am doing the chassis tuning now, deciding to run with nitrogen in the forks, and standard rear KR250 damper, i have installed a steering damper, and am running a tiny 16inch front wheel, with a 16inch slick if i can find it (not easy!), and the standard 18inch rear wheel with a treaded tyre for traction.

the fairings are nearly mounted, but i managed to crack the screen whilst aligning the mounts the other day, so will have to get a new one!

also the first sponsorship money has come in, which is of great help.

we should be able to get use of the dyno bike dyno for tuning, which will be in the next few weeks, when i have done the wheel alignment and chain geometry ready for the dyno run. i have also been playing with ignition curves, just putting ones together based on other 125cc racers to test whilst on the dyno. the programmable ignition is probably the most amazing thing in the world.

in the meantime, i am moving house, aswell as my mum is moving to sydney and girlfriend moving to collingwood, not to mention starting a new job, and starting 3rd year of uni at the end of feb, so shit's gettin busy!

-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
Old 01-15-2012, 01:03 AM   #53
duxrneet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Thumb

Keep at it!
Old 01-15-2012, 05:48 AM   #54
God of Speed OP

This is not related to the build,

but i must mention the incredible and generous support of

McCardigan!!!!!!

to the project. Hes in Adelaide now and will be going out to the salt flat to spectate for the 2012 trials.

Thanks Chris, let me know when you are coming back through and I can pass on some wine from my family's wine shop!
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
Old 01-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #55
dirt_bloke
No idea

Oddometer: 871
Hi Charlie,
Enjoying your build. Here's a couple of things that may have crossed your mind or not...

1/ The aerodynamics are very messy at the moment, you'll need to sort out the high/low pressure areas. That seat will act as a big wind sock, see if you can fully enclose the underside with a fibreglass shroud.

2/ The Airbox. What volume is it? Are you going to use some sort of ram air feed? Free HP there, something to study.

3/ Ergonomics, (mixed with the aero), make sure your tuck postion is tidy (elbows infront of knees) and allows full function of the controls.

4/ Steering Head Angle. As others have mentioned, I think it is too steep. Look into machining off-set cups to set into the steering head, you may get some more rake with that.

5/ Steering Arc. Look at the bottom triple clamp and work out how the lock stops work, then insert some lugs/bolt heads (Cap screws)/spacers to reduce the amount of steering arc you have. This (along with the steering dampner) will help if the thing gets into a tank slapper.

Not trying to be a smart arse or a kill joy, just would like for you to have fun and return to show off your time slip...

Pete
(yet)
dirt_bloke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #56
God of Speed OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_bloke View Post
Hi Charlie,
Enjoying your build. Here's a couple of things that may have crossed your mind or not...

1/ The aerodynamics are very messy at the moment, you'll need to sort out the high/low pressure areas. That seat will act as a big wind sock, see if you can fully enclose the underside with a fibreglass shroud.

2/ The Airbox. What volume is it? Are you going to use some sort of ram air feed? Free HP there, something to study.

3/ Ergonomics, (mixed with the aero), make sure your tuck postion is tidy (elbows infront of knees) and allows full function of the controls.

4/ Steering Head Angle. As others have mentioned, I think it is too steep. Look into machining off-set cups to set into the steering head, you may get some more rake with that.

5/ Steering Arc. Look at the bottom triple clamp and work out how the lock stops work, then insert some lugs/bolt heads (Cap screws)/spacers to reduce the amount of steering arc you have. This (along with the steering dampner) will help if the thing gets into a tank slapper.

Not trying to be a smart arse or a kill joy, just would like for you to have fun and return to show off your time slip...

Pete
Morning Pete, thanks for the advice.

1 - with the seat, we actually put an alloy strengthening plate along the bottom which doubles as a wind-flow direction helpery thing. i have cut the back out of the seat section aswell so that it does not act like you say as a wind sock.

the fairings are still not fully mounted, but it is all looking to be pretty neat after its done, it all lines up pretty well.

2 - Airbox is the stock one for the engine, i figured that would be best as it is tuned for that engine. i have had ram-air plans for a while now, and will install that after the fairings are on, already got the ducting to lead from the front back to the airbox.

3 - Ergo, you cant see it from the photos, but my knees actually tuck over the top of the frame, greately reducing frontal area. havent sorted the bar position yet as explained in steering head angle.

4 - Steering head angle, this hasnt really been set yet, it was low so that it could fit inside a 4WD, at this stage i am guessing the clamps will be slid up the forks about another 35mm, giivng it a better angle and trail.

5 - i like this, a good solution for lessening the effects of tank slappers.

thanks for the pointers, good to get another point of view every now and again. Regarding not coming home, I havent really ridden this bike before, so will be very careful the first few times. if anything looks to be shakey or unstable i will immediately be backing off, not going harder.

From my point of view the biggest unknown will be riding on a salt lake surface as some say it is like riding on mud with slicks, some say its like riding on concrete sprinkled in sand, and whether or not the trials will indeed run this year.
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
Old 01-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #57
loxsmith
Good ol days my arse

Oddometer: 421
I'll be there for the racing action, do you need a hand at the Lake?

Tried to find you in the preregister list, but not sure what the bike is listed as? http://www.dlra.org.au/2012.htm#PREENTRIES

Glen
Old 01-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #58
God of Speed OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxsmith View Post
I'll be there for the racing action, do you need a hand at the Lake?

Tried to find you in the preregister list, but not sure what the bike is listed as? http://www.dlra.org.au/2012.htm#PREENTRIES

Glen
Hey Glen,

I have 2 guys from the club meeting me at the lake, as they are riding up on KLR's. Are you up there with a mob?

As for registering, that is on my list of things to do today, as i was waiting for some sponsorship money to come in.

Not sure what it will be listed as. A/G 125cc class is what we will be running, but it has got components of the following bikes in it:

-2001 aprilia rs125
-1985 kawasaki kr250
-1994 honda rs125
-2011 sachs madass
-2009 honda cr250

ill probably go with the KR as it is running that frame. maybe Aprawasaki KR1-25?
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
Old 01-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #59
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Oddometer: 12,846

onya Cardigan

Phil_Fong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #60
loxsmith
Good ol days my arse

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of Speed View Post
Hey Glen,

I have 2 guys from the club meeting me at the lake, as they are riding up on KLR's. Are you up there with a mob?

As for registering, that is on my list of things to do today, as i was waiting for some sponsorship money to come in.

Not sure what it will be listed as. A/G 125cc class is what we will be running, but it has got components of the following bikes in it:

-2001 aprilia rs125
-1985 kawasaki kr250
-1994 honda rs125
-2011 sachs madass
-2009 honda cr250

ill probably go with the KR as it is running that frame. maybe Aprawasaki KR1-25?
I am riding alone but might duck into the KLR Rally at Angorichina on the way down. I'll find you and say gidday when I get to the Lake!