Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2012, 03:01 AM   #91
Turborob
Minimalist.

Oddometer: 609
Re the air intake, there are gains to be had if you bell-mouth the end of the intake. It will get much more air.

An easy way to do it is to warm up the end of the intake with a heat gun, then place it over a funnel. There's a pic here.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_0009/article.html

Good luck!
Turborob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:26 AM   #92
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,931
When using ram air do you have to presurize the carb float bowl from the air intake some how so that jetting stays consistent with different speeds or does the intake not pressurize that much.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #93
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,448
Oooh, it's only 4 weeks from the pointy end of this project, and some salty goodness. I'm gettin' keen eh.....

GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #94
bend27
by hook or by crook

Oddometer: 1,165
I am looking forward to attending my first land speed event, will the god of speed's bike be ready??
bend27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #95
God of Speed OP
Lost when found..........

Oddometer: 1,058
Apologies for the negligence of this thread,

moving house and starting a new job have been taxing on my extra time and energy, but not being a fan of girl-like excuses i have still managed to purchase the last few things the bike needs in order to get it scrutineered, which i still need to organise after missing the scrutineering day due to working to pay for the bike! Luckily the DLRA scrutineer is an acquaintance of the CCJMC.

the last things i need to do, which i intend on doing this week are fitting the front tyre, doing the rear brake lines (ie: getting them done professionally) and fitting some digital gauges i bought online.

Apart from that i have been organising the logistics of getting out there, and organising the crew that are actually going. I will be driving my dad's new Isuzu Dmax, and i think some CCJMC members will be riding out there.

I will be assembling a spare parts and tools assortment to take to the salt, along with everything else i and the bike will need for a week to survive. not sure if i will need to carry extra diesel for the ute aswell.

thanks everyone for the continuing and generous support and ideas regarding the fine tuning and finishing off the bike. of course i have not had anywhere near enough time to do all the things i wanted to, but theres always next year, and after that and then maybe, depending on success, bonneville?

I have until friday off this week, but start uni next week, so will try and get as much done as possible on the bike itself. As for tonight, its my one year anniversary with the ladyfriend, so for now i bid you good night.
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
God of Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #96
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,362
Quote:
As for tonight, its my one year anniversary with the ladyfriend, so for now i bid you good night.
Photos.... or it didn't happen

Ride through Oz and Asia
The Bigfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:07 AM   #97
God of Speed OP

Ok,

so im back online at my new place, dodo are real shitcunts.

So over the last week i have been doing 16+hour days at uni, work and most importantly on the bike.

Progress is still excellent:

Rear end is completely done apart from a 15minute job, front end needs the correct tyre which i have, and fork oil replaced which i have, just need to find out the correct capacities. i have blanked off the anti-dive valves, removed the whole front brake assembly, and set the bars and controls how i like them, some adjustments to clamp height may be needed with the higher profile front tyre to achieve acceptable rake.

All gauges are installed, seat painted and padding installed (which you cant see in the photos).

now all i need is a racing chain, and the necessary stickers. which leaves about 2 weeks for working any kinks out, i have my suspicions about the carb manifold o-ring seal, it may need to be a bit beefier, and there is quite a small amount of clearance between the chain and swingarm torsion bracket, i have already filed a few mm off it. but hopefully a new chain will not have much lateral give in it.

But most importantly as you can see, i have painted the seat in a real purdy red to make it go fast.

I caaaaAAAAAArrrrRRRRRnnnnNNNNtttTTTTT wait to get out on the salt and rev the nuts off it, and live up to what i have been talking about for over a year now.

As for now, i have done a full day at uni and then full shift at work and have another 17 hour day tomorrow. so good night advriders.
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
Old 03-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #98
God of Speed OP

Scrutineering

this is my list of items for scrutineering,

which are all easily addressable but when combined dont make for an easy lead up to the event, but hey, its not as if an Australian land speed record is nothing!
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
Old 03-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #99
Sleepy John
Grumpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,727
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Sleepy John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #100
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,448
Metal valve stems (any bike valve stems actually) have to be right-angled.
This came abourt after someone on a TZ350 had the tyre deflate at 160mph with centrifugal force opening the valve. He survived the resulting crash quite well, considering.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:21 AM   #101
dirt_bloke
No idea

Oddometer: 844
Fork stops? Hasn't that already been hit on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
This came abourt after someone on a TZ350 had the tyre deflate at 160mph with centrifugal force opening the valve. He survived the resulting crash quite well, considering.
Also happened to a mate racing Calder on his Honda RS125 after a quick change of tyres at a Hartwell club day. He didn't crash, but had an interesting few corners before pulling off the track!

Metal note: Always check for vavle caps after changing tyres.

Life is too short not to learn from other peoples mistakes!
(yet)
dirt_bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:01 AM   #102
God of Speed OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
my rear tyre has a metal straight valve, and he didnt mention it had to be 90degree, it also doesnt say that it needs to be angled in the rules.

It would make much more sense for it to be angled though, obviously.

I got the feeling that the DLRA pretty much want everything possible to be metal instead of rubber, (like the metal battery strap) because of the perishing at the salt in extreme conditions, so i thought the whole metal valve stem thing was more guaranteeing that it wont be persihed, not so much that it was for to the centrifugal force.
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
Old 03-08-2012, 02:02 AM   #103
God of Speed OP

Also wrapped the pipe today, but ran out of wrap, already ordered more.
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
Old 03-08-2012, 02:03 AM   #104
God of Speed OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_bloke View Post
Fork stops? Hasn't that already been hit on?

Also happened to a mate racing Calder on his Honda RS125 after a quick change of tyres at a Hartwell club day. He didn't crash, but had an interesting few corners before pulling off the track!

Metal note: Always check for vavle caps after changing tyres.

Life is too short not to learn from other peoples mistakes!
We discussed the damper and many differing opinions on the fork angle/trail, none on the fork stops that i recall?
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
Old 03-08-2012, 02:49 AM   #105
dirt_bloke
No idea

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of Speed View Post
We discussed the damper and many differing opinions on the fork angle/trail, none on the fork stops that i recall?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
5/ Steering Arc. Look at the bottom triple clamp and work out how the lock stops work, then insert some lugs/bolt heads (Cap screws)/spacers to reduce the amount of steering arc you have. This (along with the steering dampner) will help if the thing gets into a tank slapper.
That's what I was thinking of.

What was the Scrutineer on about?

Anyway, you haven't got time for this. Back to the shed with you.

BTW, good luck and enjoy the experience.
(yet)
dirt_bloke is offline   Reply With Quote