Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2011, 04:45 AM   #1
ATCguy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Can the BMW TPMS be added to a 2011 R12GS?

Ok, guess I'm just looking for 2nd opinions here... but I've been told that if the bike didn't come with the Tire Pressure Monitoring System from the factory, that it can't be added on the bike later. No "retro-fit kit" available.

Now while it might be expensive to do, this seems like a no-brainer to me: Buy the required modules, wire harness, and wheel transponders... install them... reprogram the computer... and Presto, you've got the TPMS. But I've been told it can't be done.

So if not, what exactly is it that they're doing at the factory that can't be done at a dealer? What am I missing?
'14 Ford F-450 PLATINUM
'14 Dutchmen VOLTAGE 3200 5th Wheel Toy Hauler
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:53 AM   #2
Wandering Nomad
Obsessive Traveller

Oddometer: 363
Maybe??

It's been discussed before. If you do a search you will find the threads that talk about it.

The consensus was that it wouldn't work.

Now I am buying one this week that doesn't have it on it and the salesman said that it could be added at the dealership.
It will require the module, the sensors and the dealers computer to get it done.
I'll know Saturday if he is correct. That is when I pick it up.

I do know that you can add the ASC and the alarm. They required codes from BMW to implement. It's like it is all there when the bike is built. You just need to add a few parts and then pay BMW to turn it on for you.

Lewis
Wandering Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
ATCguy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Lewis... I'll look forward to your update.

In re the ASC & alarm... yeah, that BMW sells what they call "retro fit" kits for each of those... but not the TPMS. I was told when I bought the bike that it couldn't be added.

Considering that it was only a $200+ add-on... when I shopped for my bike, I was astounded that I couldn't find a single dealer that had a bike in stock with both ESA & the TPMS. I can see them ordering bare-bones bikes for those who don't want the upgrades... but if you're going to order bikes with the optional computer, spoke wheels, ESA, etc... why not go ahead and have the TPMS added?

Still shaking my head at that... Oh well.
'14 Ford F-450 PLATINUM
Old 09-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
Wandering Nomad
Obsessive Traveller

Tpm

I'll let you know how it goes. I talked to a sales guy on the phone and he assured me he could do it.
I hope so. That is the only option missing.

Lewis
Old 09-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
DoubleDare
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
I'll be curious to hear as well. My dealer told me about 3 weeks ago that BMW wasn't permitting retrofits of the TPMS at this point. . .
Old 09-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
Wandering Nomad
Obsessive Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Nomad View Post
It's been discussed before. If you do a search you will find the threads that talk about it.

The consensus was that it wouldn't work.

Now I am buying one this week that doesn't have it on it and the salesman said that it could be added at the dealership.
It will require the module, the sensors and the dealers computer to get it done.
I'll know Saturday if he is correct. That is when I pick it up.

I do know that you can add the ASC and the alarm. They required codes from BMW to implement. It's like it is all there when the bike is built. You just need to add a few parts and then pay BMW to turn it on for you.

Lewis

Well now I know. The other salesman was wrong. It just doesn't work right is what I was told this morning.

Oh well, Doran Sell a nice system.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:08 PM   #7
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Thanks Lewis... I'll look forward to your update.

In re the ASC & alarm... yeah, that BMW sells what they call "retro fit" kits for each of those... but not the TPMS. I was told when I bought the bike that it couldn't be added.

Considering that it was only a $200+ add-on... when I shopped for my bike, I was astounded that I couldn't find a single dealer that had a bike in stock with both ESA & the TPMS. I can see them ordering bare-bones bikes for those who don't want the upgrades... but if you're going to order bikes with the optional computer, spoke wheels, ESA, etc... why not go ahead and have the TPMS added?

Still shaking my head at that... Oh well.
Because a lot of folks on GS's like to let some air out of the tires for all day dual sporting and the TPM will be making you mad with a fault like shouting at you all day because it does not like to see a low air pressure. TPM also makes for A LOT of balancing lead weight on the wheel, like up to 80-100 grams!! So it's not for everybody.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #8
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,397
Simply buy a DORAN TPM system and be done with it:

Works great. Others can chime in with their experience with Doran.

http://doranmfg.com/motorcycle-tire-...ng-systems.htm
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
Brit in SF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurelPerryOnLand View Post
Simply buy a DORAN TPM system and be done with it:

Works great. Others can chime in with their experience with Doran.

http://doranmfg.com/motorcycle-tire-...ng-systems.htm
I would have taken a bike with it built in if it came that way as it would be nice to get a warning as I ride if I developed a slow puncture.

However I think their marketing material is laughable. They criticize a tire pressure gauge as being inaccurate while stating theirs is only good to +\-1.5 psi and then only alerts after a drop in pressure of 12.5%

This translates to potentially 6 psi low at a desired pressure of 36 psi.

I am okay with checking my pressures the old way and would continue to do that even with TPMS
Old 09-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #10
DoubleDare
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Has anyone tried running wheels that don't have the TPM sensors on a bike that has the BMW TPM system?

Just wondering what would happen - constant annoying error messages? Just a fault icon on the screen. . . ?
Old 09-29-2011, 03:20 PM   #11
ATCguy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Dude View Post
Because a lot of folks on GS's like to let some air out of the tires for all day dual sporting and the TPM will be making you mad with a fault like shouting at you all day because it does not like to see a low air pressure. TPM also makes for A LOT of balancing lead weight on the wheel, like up to 80-100 grams!! So it's not for everybody.
Damn good answer, and the one that makes the most sense. I have to admit that... being an off-road newbie, that notion had never even entered my mind. That said... you'd think that since BMW made the ABS & Traction Control with an "ON/OFF" option, that they could do the same with the TPSM.

Anyway... thanks for the answers & the options. Sorry I didn't get back to this thread earlier. I've been with riding with the folks from Backroads up in Maine, but the inn had very slow Wi-Fi service.
'14 Ford F-450 PLATINUM
Old 09-30-2011, 06:57 PM   #12
CrustyAPO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Nomad View Post
I'll let you know how it goes. I talked to a sales guy on the phone and he assured me he could do it.I hope so. That is the only option missing. Lewis
I will let you all know how I make out in a couple of weeks. I am taking my '08 in to have the 30k service performed and the RDC (tire pressure monitoring) activated. I installed the sensors at the last tire change, as well as the control module under the passanger seat. Max BMW in Troy is doing the work. They told me it could be done, otherwise I would have gone aftermarket. I will see if I can be there when they are doing the programming, just to see how smoothly it goes.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:52 AM   #13
CrustyAPO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
Well I went to Max BMW yesterday for a 6k service and to get the RDC (tire pressure monitoring) activated. It seems BMW corporate changed their minds and the RDC cannot be added after the fact. So, they told me to remove the parts and they would refund me my money. Time to look for an aftermarket system. Anyone have experience with this model, http://www.orangetpmsusa.com/afterma...torcycle-tpms/ ?
Old 10-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #14
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyAPO View Post
Well I went to Max BMW yesterday for a 6k service and to get the RDC (tire pressure monitoring) activated. It seems BMW corporate changed their minds and the RDC cannot be added after the fact. So, they told me to remove the parts and they would refund me my money. Time to look for an aftermarket system. Anyone have experience with this model, http://www.orangetpmsusa.com/afterma...torcycle-tpms/ ?
Corporate changed their mind??? So is this a policy issue or a technical issue? I had wanted to do the same thing, but in the end, was able to find a white GS that had TPMS installed at my local dealer because a previous sale had fallen through.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #15
David13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
The TPMS is not for slow leaks. Slow leaks you can spot over time, if you regularly check your air, and if you see the look of a low tire.
It is for the fast leaks. Where you get the nail, or glass or cut and start to lose air on a rapid basis. (Like going flat going into the next curve.)
Some people on all the BMW bikes think it's not necessary. But I like it.
Could it be added? I don't think so. I have a suspicion it would be like converting a modern car from auto to manual trans, or vice versa. Just too much to do to get it to work.
I have never heard of it being successfully done.
Don't ever rely on what the salesman says about service or technical issues. Unless you know him quite well.
dc
David13 is offline   Reply With Quote