All KLR's? I'm in.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:00 AM   #32
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Oddometer: 1,219

Following your adventure from Regina. Are you sure you want that Riders sticker after the last 2 games?
Old 10-02-2011, 08:12 AM   #33
hvilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
I'm in for this one!! Thanks and keep it comin'!!!

hvilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #34
Hishooter OP
On the Road

Oddometer: 33
Day 2-3 0 and 660km

Hello,

Day 2

So after arriving in Calgary and having the good night of rest we woke up the next day with a list of errands that needed to be done before we continued on. We went and bought the rest of our camping gear for the group and some other personal gear from MEC. After MEC Braydon went to go hang out with some of his family in the city and the rest of us went for lunch at a burger joint and then continued on the Blackfoot Motorsports. We spent the afternoon looking and salivating over all of the bikes that they had on display, which included a fully trip ready KTM Adventure. Alas we had to move on for the rest of the night which included family time for Braydon, Patrick, and I. Billy went off and hung out with some friends and then we all met at the condo for packing and planning for the next day

Day 3 660km

On day 3 we covered the distance though the mountains from Calgary to Kamloops. Before we left the city we met Brad who will be leaving on a Vstrom to head south sometime . in late october. We met at Mcdicks and had some breakfast and chatted for a bit about gear and which routes we were planning on taking. It was a good start to the second day.

After leaving we headed west on the Trans Canada highway toward the mountains. This was the first time any of us had ridden in the rockies and it was beautiful. The roads are very nice and the senery is fantastic. We have come west before but we spend so much time looking at flat terrian that the mountains was a very nice change from the praries. It lightly rained a couple times as we were in the mountains, but the riding was so nice we didn`t mind at all. Now we didn`t stop much except at gas stations since we were all enjoying the riding to much so their arn`t many pictures of this leg of the trip...oh well here is us taking a short stop in Drumheller, the place of the dinosaurs.

Once we were through the mountians and into the foot hills we got hit with the very heavy cross winds that the road signs warn you about. These winds were strong enough to push me from the left side riding position all the way across the lane into the right side of the road. We became very careful for the last 200km and it took a toll on us. By the time we were nearing Kamloops we were all extreamly tired and wanted a warm place to crash for the night. Luckily Braydon has an Uncle Grant in Kamloops who we were planning to spend the night with. We rode up to the Indian restarunt that he works at and as we pulled into the parking lot a reporter from a local paper wanted to get a picture of us on our bikes. We did not expect that at all but we obliged, and now there will be a short story about us and our trip in a local Kamloops paper. Woo. Anyway after getting the photos taken and parking the bikes we were looking foreward to a meal. We may have been slightly out of it before eating.

But after the meal we were in warm comfy heaven. We then had to go back outside and follow Grant to the place that we will be staying for the night. After unpacking our sleeping gear and parking the bikes we went into the house and all pretty much passed out for the night.

Colin

Hishooter screwed with this post 10-02-2011 at 07:49 PM
Hishooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:30 PM   #35
Hishooter OP
On the Road

Day 4, 421km

Updating more regularly,

Today the plan was to leave Kamloops rather early so that we could get to Vancouver in good time. We woke up and all had a warm shower to wash off the rain from yesterday and then went out for breakfast with Grant before leaving the city.

Us and Grant.

However that is where the plan fell apart. Breakfast was great, we ate and a restaurant that would add in an extra egg for free as long as you remember to ask for it. So everyone had an egg dish except me who had french toast with cranberry sauce that was fantastic. After breakfast we went for a quick stop to meet the reporter who got our names and picture the night before. This turned into a multiple hour affair as we waited for her to become available and then we had the interview where she asked us our travel plans, occupations, and our feelings about the trip. So four days in and already we are a big deal, as expected. After the interview we went back to Grants house where we thanked him for a place to stay and hopped back onto the bikes. So after food and the interview and repacking our stuff we didn’t end up leaving the city until 12:30.

Well once we got onto the road it was windier riding through the foothills until we made it back into the mountains. Once there we got a fantastic surprise, we had chosen to ride the 1 highway and the views were the best yet. Here is us stopping and taking a break right after the windy section.

Once we got into the section of the road that is called Hells Gate the riding got unbelievable. Twisties, scenery, almost all downhill, this route had it all. We rode for a good two hours without stopping because we didn’t want to. I should have had my GOPRO on but sadly I did not. We only stopped once we got out of the mountains where we had to stop for gas. This is where I finally broke out the camera again. As we stopped Braydon described the section from Hells Gate that just fit. That section right there is why we ride.

After the quick stop for gas we headed out to ride the last 100km to the condo we stayed at. Since we were still riding the high from the last section it went pretty quickly and before we knew it we were at our destination and for the next couple days in Van we would have an awesome view.

After enjoying the condo for a while we went out to an oyster place close by to celebrate my birthday, just turned 22. A friend that moved to Van a couple years ago met us and we proceeded to talk about things back home. Our server overheard us talking about Saskatoon and the fact that he was from Saskatoon combined with being an awesome guy proceeded to supply us with free drinks and some oysters. What a good end to an awesome riding day.

Colin

Hishooter screwed with this post 10-02-2011 at 04:38 PM
Old 10-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #36
Hishooter OP
On the Road

Day 5, 6

Hello all,

Day 5 and 6

These two days were filled with visiting of friends who had moved away and exploring the city of Vancouver. We went and visited the campus of the U of BC and found it to be rather beautiful. That little tour made me want to look into going there after I finish the trip, maybe. We also spent quite a bit of time in the condo resting and planning for the next stages of the trip. I spent some of my time looking into getting a new rear tire as I needed one badly. We also did a bit of bike maintence, mainly oiling the chain and making sure that no bolts had fallen out.

Here is our workspace for the couple days. Is it not great how well 4 KLRs fit into a single small car space?

Vancouver was a nice stop, it gave us a chance to become more organized as we all repacked our bikes and it gave us something familiar before we crossed our first international border.

Colin
Old 10-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #37
Sean-0
straya carnt

Oddometer: 4,285
Loving it ..........
Plz could you change your text color so you stand out in the RR or your size or font ... will make you bold

Thanks again for taking me with you .... im having a great time .. cant wait till we hit the rd again ...so to speak

Be safe guys
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:15 PM   #38
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
subscribed ! heading to Durango Mexico the 22 oct until 2 Nov residence in southTexas "a la orden"

Bato screwed with this post 10-02-2011 at 07:48 PM
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #39
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Good to see more people heading south.

My plans are all set to start my trip later this month provided I find a renter, which hasn't come easily! Moab the week of the 22nd, then branch off from there.

I've also lived in Saskatoon for 6 years and have done many bike trip from there. I know the feeling of crossing the prairies...

Maybe we'll bump into each other some day. Hard not to spot 4 KLR's.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:45 PM   #40
cleanair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
In
Have flown into Saskatoon several times on the way North.

Ride safe
cleanair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:06 AM   #41
Roughshod
weld proud

Oddometer: 101
met at blackfoot motorsports

Hey guys, I finally found your RR. Didn't think about it until after I talked to you in the Blackfoot parking lot to offer my sevices as a tour guide. Hopefully your stop in Calgary went smoothly. Ill be checking on your progress. Happy riding!
Roughshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:42 AM   #42
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,133
Four guys on KLR's, this should be good, count me in for the adventure.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:04 AM   #43
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
At least spares will be available to share off your buddy's bike and should always be able to keep at least two going, best idea if riding in a group imho.
Goodluck!

Looking forward to more

btw: nice cell signal bar strength group photo
It worries me that I got that, Throttlemeister!

Nice report guys! Please keep it going!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #44
daveinoh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Any KLRista worth his salt is in for this one. Subscribed!
The Toad Goeth East http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729961
daveinoh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #45
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

Oddometer: 1,604