Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2015, 01:26 PM   #1
hiu OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Wicked 2005 harley flhtcuse

Hi,

Im looking a 2005 flhtcuse with 10000 miles and overall new condition.
I've always bought new bikes, so this is a giant leap for me (comes with one year warranty).

For 3000$ more they also have a 2009 flhtcu with 25000 miles.

What to do?
New bike is also possible but than i need to take a loan (have the money, but dont like to cut my money in half)

Are there realiability issues, i know a new one is the safest bet, with the money i safe i would rather discover europe and still have a lot on the bank (live in europe).

Help me out guys, need a bike
hiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 02:41 PM   #2
abnslr
rides a motorcycle

Oddometer: 241
I can't speak for these particular models (I'm sure one of the HD guys will chime in to help you out there) but in general I prefer to go with used, particularly in this situation. Harley Davidson is, from my observations at least, very much seen as a luxury brand in Europe, and with the type of bike and low mileage on these, I'd say it's unlikely they've been flogged into the ground or mistreated by the previous owners.

(yes, I realize there are a lot of assumptions implied in that)

If you can check the VINs for problems (previous accidents, etc.) definitely do that, but my take is that going with used is a smart move.
abnslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 02:56 PM   #3
gymply
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Some of the early 2005 models had bad valve guide seals. Harley addressed the problem on a case by case basis but never issued a recall. I would pull the spark plugs and check for signs of oil use/burning. The 2005 is an 88" motor and the 2009 is a 96" motor. Also, 2009 was the first year for the new touring frame.

I'm sure either bike would serve you well. Maybe you can test ride both and see which one feels better to you...
'14 FZ-09
gymply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 03:14 PM   #4
rotarywing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Buy the 2009. Nothing older with the FL frame.

HD upgraded the frame and suspension in 2009. Before that it handles very poor.

The difference is huge.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:15 PM   #5
anotheroldfart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
2005 had the 88ci motor and five speed transmission. Also had the valve guide seal issue and older style cam chain tension plastic pad, which could self destruct. Plus, old style primary chain manual adjustment.

2009 motor was 96ci along with 6 speed transmission.
Also had new improved cam chain tensioner. Automatic primary chain tension device.

Go newer.
anotheroldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:54 PM   #6
hiu OP
n00b

The 2005 is a se with a 103 engine if that makes a lot of difference.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:18 PM   #7
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
I would go with the newer model, upgraded frame, I think bigger gas tank, Brembo brakes, etc.. 25k shouldn't be a problem I put 62k on an 09 and have 42k on a 11 HD touring bike with very little problems and no motor problems at all on either. For my style of riding the newer frame is a huge difference and that alone would steer me to the newer bike.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 97k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:25 PM   #8
Turts
n00b

The 05 is a collector bike. If you don't value it as that, get the 09.
Better everything!
Just sayin'
Turts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:22 PM   #9
BadKarma
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,150
The mileage is no issue. I'd ride them both and buy whichever one I like better. The difference in frames is not a deal breaker to me. I've owned both and the 09 is better in sweepers but I'd add an aftermarket Touring model link anyway and then the difference just disappears.
BadKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:10 AM   #10
hiu OP
n00b

On the other hand for 1500 euros more I can buy a new Victory cross country tour if i deduct vat.

Which fit me better (big guy).

The are not common here and not sure if they will last 10 years and +- 100.000km
Parts might get rare over here?

Im a month without bike and going nuts.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:44 AM   #11
vicster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,137
I have a Victory XCT and agree, they're nice for the larger rider.
Victorys will easily go 100,000km. Check out "Click" on thevmc.com - a lot of riders are at 100,000+ miles.
vicster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:33 PM   #12
AK650
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
I'd opt for the '09.

Better handling chassis.
Larger gas tank.
Better brakes/suspension.
6-speed transmission.
re-routed exhaust headers(less heat on the legs)
May possibly have ABS(it was an option)
The difference between a 103 and 96 isn't enough to worry about.

Jeff
IBA #44600
AK650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:40 AM   #13
harfooz
FJR1300 / FLHX

Oddometer: 325
The newer bike is better in every way, IMO. Especially the brakes..

Especially the brakes!

Does the '09 you are looking at have the ABS/Security option? How about cruise control?

There are a couple of minor things to look at on the '09:

1. Inspect the wire going into the rotor. Harley used a grommet there until '12 and as a result, it can weep primary oil at that location. The fix is either a new $600 rotor assembly with proper o-rings sealing against the inside of the primary case or a small bit of black RTV gasket maker/sealant spread around the base of the grommet. I went with the latter approach to solve the problem and save roughly $596 .

2. Inspect the two lowest bolts on the transmission cover (rider's right side of the bike). These two lowest bolts hold the exhaust pipe on and they were undertorqued from the factory, causing transmission fluid leaks which are hard to detect because the fluid runs to the left side of the bike when it's on its jiffy stand. The solution is to get in there with a very short allen wrench (or the back of a screwdriver head and an open end wrench) and tighten those boys down, or remove the pipe and use a proper torque wrench to tighten them to the new spec. There is a Technical Service Bulletin on this issue.

And there is one situation to be aware of with the '09 and above throttle-by-wire system. Sometimes the pins at the connection of the throttle body (found at about 8 o'cock behind the air cleaner) will fret and the resulting corrosion can cause inconsistent signals to be read by the sensors and computer. As a result the bike will go into "limp mode" and you have no power above something like 15 mph. Two solutions here are: a) remove and re-insert the connection to clear it, and put in a bunch of dielectric grease (that's what I did, at a cost of $1.25 for a small envelope of grease) or b) have the shop replace the connection with a gold-plated version that will not fret.

If you have questions about any of these, feel free to ask me -- I've experienced all of them. I can share photos of where to look if needed.

So if it wasn't for the brakes, I'd probably opt for the older bike to save some money, but the brakes really are a lot nicer on the newer bike. The newer frame is very nice, and the bike doesn't feel like it has a hinge in the middle. But for my rides I could put up with the older frame, smaller tank, etc., but I don't want to put up with brakes that feel -- to me -- like I'm trying to use two blocks of wood as brake pads.

Hope this helps,
'fooz

harfooz screwed with this post 05-06-2015 at 03:47 AM
harfooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:59 PM   #14
onestop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
If I were u I'd go with the one u like best as when talking to others on both models both seem to have there problems.
I just bought a 2007 softail custom with 58,000km as it had some nice xtras and was a 1 owner bike.
I had a choice of a 2009 with only 27,000km with out the xtras.
I picked it up last friday on a fly and ride and rode home 1150 km from Christchurch NZ to Whangarei NZ and what a great ride.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:14 AM   #15
hiu OP
n00b

So i finally had time to have a look at an other harley dealer.
Damn the softail heritage is gorgeous.

It sad that is seems to have no lean angle.
Can this be adressed and improved?