ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #2716
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 5,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
At twice the price and considerably more weight. You have to decide what the thrill is worth. I had narrowed my own search down to two entirely different bikes: The NC700x and a KTM 990 SM-T. Both are sub-500 lb. semi-naked bikes that need a seat, luggage, and a bit more wind protection to tour comfortably. The main difference? One hauls ass and the other doesn't. For those few "wick it and grin" moments, is the satisfaction worth it? Twice the cost to purchase, more to insure, higher ad valorem license fees, tires and chains wear faster, 38 mpg on premium vs. 68 mpg on regular, maintenance complexity and cost, et cetera. I would have soundly preferred the KTM as I would a BMW 335i over a Honda Civic. But as a practical matter, I am an old retired guy on a fixed (broken?) income and I am free to leave earlier or stay longer rather than to go faster. I only lamented my choice and wept for the KTM for a few days. OK, more than that. BUt I'm over it now. Honest. See?

Some would say you can't pass as well with a slower bike, but you make up for it in which overtakings you attempt. Added to this, the more capable bike gets ridden faster and the implications of a mistake or accident rise exponentially with speed.
I'm gonna say the NC700X is a BMW 116 diesel, and the KTM a Subaru
Impreza STI.

Carry on!
__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #2717
swiss-happy
Rubberburner Joe
 
swiss-happy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Switzerland
Oddometer: 23
Hello from Switzerland ncx rider

Hello all, I am Joe. I have had the ncx since 4.4.2012. Silver with manual trans and abs + linked brakes.

I am a returning-to-biking rider and I love this nifty little road carver. Perfect for my weekend thrills through the Swiss mountain passes.

~Joe
swiss-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #2718
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp
 
rowdymoose's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Marina del Rey, CA
Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredz43 View Post
I installed the optional Honda screen at Niehaus Cycles today. I didn't get a chance to take it for a ride to se how much improvement it might provide, however. Notice that it comes with a new bracket to hold the larger screen.

Tomorrow I'll be setting up a DCT.

Any idea what that screen is going to cost? Also, do you have any dimensions on it? I'm looking at the MRA VarioTouringScreen to hopefully solve some of the noise issues compared to the stock screen, but they are on backorder at Twisted Throttle right now until mid September! Also, FYI, I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam. The one day I carpooled w/ the Mrs. Now I can't go out and compare how tall those mirrors are for a visual of where the screen would come up to until I get home tonight!
__________________
2012 Honda NC700X
rowdymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #2719
swiss-happy
Rubberburner Joe
 
swiss-happy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Switzerland
Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdymoose View Post
Any idea what that screen is going to cost? Also, do you have any dimensions on it? I'm looking at the MRA VarioTouringScreen to hopefully solve some of the noise issues compared to the stock screen, but they are on backorder at Twisted Throttle right now until mid September! Also, FYI, I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam. The one day I carpooled w/ the Mrs. Now I can't go out and compare how tall those mirrors are for a visual of where the screen would come up to until I get home tonight!
In Switzerland this screen lists at 356chf. Around US$350. I got mine free with purchase.
swiss-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #2720
swiss-happy
Rubberburner Joe
 
swiss-happy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Switzerland
Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
I'm gonna say the NC700X is a BMW 116 diesel, and the KTM a Subaru
Impreza STI.

Carry on!
Not a bad comparison. In the right hands the ncx can beat any sti.
swiss-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #2721
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer
 
beemerphile's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Danielsville, GA USA
Oddometer: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdymoose View Post
Any idea what that screen is going to cost? Also, do you have any dimensions on it? I'm looking at the MRA VarioTouringScreen to hopefully solve some of the noise issues compared to the stock screen, but they are on backorder at Twisted Throttle right now until mid September!
There is a Givi screen for this bike as well. I have one ordered and will post up pics when it arrives.
__________________
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - Lee
Eye hate incorrect use of homophones. Ewe sound like a ate grade cereal killer. Give me a brake.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #2722
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp
 
rowdymoose's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Marina del Rey, CA
Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
There is a Givi screen for this bike as well. I have one ordered and will post up pics when it arrives.
Do you have a link or specs of the Givi screen?
__________________
2012 Honda NC700X
rowdymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #2723
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer
 
beemerphile's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Danielsville, GA USA
Oddometer: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdymoose View Post
Do you have a link or specs of the Givi screen?

http://www.giviusa.com/My-motorcycle...DA&mo=NC-700-X

I have the windscreen, engine bars, V35 sidecases, and tubular holder (mounts) ordered from Revzilla. I just got a notice that they had shipped.
__________________
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - Lee
Eye hate incorrect use of homophones. Ewe sound like a ate grade cereal killer. Give me a brake.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #2724
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV
 
gkgeiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Akron, Ohio
Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
http://www.giviusa.com/My-motorcycle...DA&mo=NC-700-X

I have the windscreen, engine bars, V35 sidecases, and tubular holder (mounts) ordered from Revzilla. I just got a notice that they had shipped.
JMO, but I think I like the Honda accessory screen better.
__________________
"If more is better, then two much must be just right"
Gene
'12 T100 110th Anniversary
'12 NC700X/D
'08 TW200
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #2725
MKorn
2whl Addict
 
MKorn's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Middle of the Mitten
Oddometer: 689
i really struggle with controlling myself from the 'wick it and grin' moments.
i am curious to see what the cost is for insurance on the NC700x.

I am paying less for the C14 than i was quoted for a Versys or the Wee-strom.
I think it is due to the model year. I bought the C14 new in March of last year, but it is a 2009.
The other two were 2011's but it was a big difference ... $485 C14 and $750 a year for the V and Wee.

And I got the C14 for $9300
__________________
Always looking for a place to ride !
13 F800GS
09 Concours 14 ABS (sold)
02 Nighthawk 750 (sold)
06 DRz 400s
MKorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #2726
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp
 
rowdymoose's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Marina del Rey, CA
Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKorn View Post
i really struggle with controlling myself from the 'wick it and grin' moments.
i am curious to see what the cost is for insurance on the NC700x.

I am paying less for the C14 than i was quoted for a Versys or the Wee-strom.
I think it is due to the model year. I bought the C14 new in March of last year, but it is a 2009.
The other two were 2011's but it was a big difference ... $485 C14 and $750 a year for the V and Wee.

And I got the C14 for $9300
I've currently got insurance through Geico, with a good record on both myself and my wife, no tickets, no accidents, etc in Southern Cali...they quoted me at about $1100 for the year! Granted that's full coverage, low deductibles, high liability coverage (lots of nice cars around here), etc. So needless to say I'm going to shop around for coverage...
__________________
2012 Honda NC700X
rowdymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:17 PM   #2727
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer
 
beemerphile's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Danielsville, GA USA
Oddometer: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgeiger View Post
JMO, but I think I like the Honda accessory screen better.
It may well be, but I find it nearly impossible to judge the effectiveness of a windscreen by looks, and what "works" for one may be unsuitable for another. If it doesn't work, I'll try something else. Two things I usually end up with a box full of mistakes for are motorcycle windshields and pistol holsters. The best one is always the one I am going to try next.

I could get lucky with the Givi windscreen, but I am not expecting to.
__________________
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - Lee
Eye hate incorrect use of homophones. Ewe sound like a ate grade cereal killer. Give me a brake.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #2728
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp
 
rowdymoose's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Marina del Rey, CA
Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
I usually end up with a box full of mistakes for are motorcycle windshields and pistol holsters. The best one is always the one I am going to try next.

I could get lucky with the Givi windscreen, but I am not expecting to.
I've never bought a replacement windscreen...have you had any luck reselling any of the ones that you didn't want? I'm thinking of going w/ the Honda or Givi (since the Givi is 1" taller) since I'm 6'1". Hopefully I can figure out if one of these work, and then see if I can avoid having to buy another like the MRA that's on backorder right now.
__________________
2012 Honda NC700X
rowdymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #2729
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer
 
beemerphile's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Danielsville, GA USA
Oddometer: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdymoose View Post
I've never bought a replacement windscreen...have you had any luck reselling any of the ones that you didn't want? I'm thinking of going w/ the Honda or Givi (since the Givi is 1" taller) since I'm 6'1". Hopefully I can figure out if one of these work, and then see if I can avoid having to buy another like the MRA that's on backorder right now.
No, they pile up in a box. I should sell them. Lord knows I have a few, some even from bikes I no longer own. Wait on me and get a report on the Givi before you lay down on it. I am 6'-2" tall. If it buffets or vibrates and rattles, I'll be able to let you know.
__________________
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - Lee
Eye hate incorrect use of homophones. Ewe sound like a ate grade cereal killer. Give me a brake.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #2730
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp
 
rowdymoose's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Marina del Rey, CA
Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
No, they pile up in a box. I should sell them. Lord knows I have a few, some even from bikes I no longer own. Wait on me and get a report on the Givi before you lay down on it. I am 6'-2" tall. If it buffets or vibrates and rattles, I'll be able to let you know.
Also, how much was the Givi...and does anyone know the price on the Honda version?
__________________
2012 Honda NC700X
rowdymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014