User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #2776
Towjam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
test riding this weekend

Have an appointment with my dealer this Saturday to do back-to-back test rides on a 6-speed and DCT model.

Just sayin'....

"I had to lay her down." - from the Latin phrase meaning "I fell over."
Towjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #2777
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcsp View Post
Curious for those with the Honda 700, how do you like the brakes?

Read in the latest CycleWorld mag that they liked the bike except for the single front disc brake, wished it had 2.
If some's good, and more's better, then too much is just right. Albert Einstein once said: "A thing should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." That seems to be the philosophy at work here. The brakes work very, very well without the second disc. I personally think they got too simple on the seat and the suspension, but on the brakes, chassis, engine, etc., I think they got it right.

I asked myself why Honda put a cable clutch on it instead of a hydraulic clutch, then I remembered the KTM 990 guys all talking about the high-zoot slave cylinder you could buy to replace the KTM one that always failed because of engine heat.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #2778
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdymoose View Post
Never known anyone w/ a Schuberth helmet...they pretty good on wind noise reduction?

EDIT: After seeing how much the Schuberth was, I ended up pulling the trigger on a Shark Helmet from Revzilla: http://www.revzilla.com/shark-helmet-blowout-sale
I own the C2 since 2008 or so, and a few others, but this one is a keeper.
That's what I use on longer trips, it's more quiet then my IXS full-face WITH
ear plugs.

That's the reason I bought it anyways, wanted quietest possible.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #2779
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Looks like a CBR900. You can pick up used ones up here for about $7g's CDN. 900CC Fireblade engine with ABS.
It's the CBF1000, redesigned in like 2010 or 2011.
Just over 100hp.

More or less a Bandit 1250 competitor.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #2780
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post

I asked myself why Honda put a cable clutch on it instead of a hydraulic clutch, .
I had a cable clutch in a car once. You could really feel the clutch working. Never failed. You had to adjust it occasionally though. OMG!!

Same on all the bikes I have owned except the last two. Never failed. But you had to adjust them occasionally OMG!!

Don't really know why so many went for the complicated hydraulic setup. You may not have to adjust them occasionally but they don't suffer rubber failures or need fluid replacement.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #2781
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcsp View Post
Curious for those with the Honda 700, how do you like the brakes?

Read in the latest CycleWorld mag that they liked the bike except for the single front disc brake, wished it had 2.
Bike measured it 70 mph to 0 in 50.5 meters. That is smack in the middle of 600cc and 1000cc sport bike distances, some a little shorter and some a bit longer. My limited experience in 1000 miles is that one disc is plenty and it has sufficient feel for confident trail braking.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #2782
Loomis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Hi all... I've been lurking this thread since the beginning of this year, while checking online and calling So Cal dealerships waiting for a arrival date. I had been wanting a true street bike for some time. Had a street legal Honda XR600 dirt bike for 8 or so years, and sold it to buy a non plated CRF450X last year. Boy have I missed riding pavement. My only other pavement experience is a Road Glide I rented for a weekend (talk about extreme opposites haha). The more I read this thread the more excited I became. My only hang up was, "but it's really just a scooter with a different seating style".

Well, a week and a half ago I see one posted online so I zoomed down to check it out. They had gotten 4 a week earlier, and 3 were already gone. All it took was for me pull it out, sit on it and I was hooked! Bought it, took it home, and after the first couple days, I had a little remorse for the lack of power (nothing ever to really compare it to), but in the week since I've learned how to ride it, man, I love this thing! It handles like a dream. Lane splitting is easier than my XR600!

I'm 6'2", 190... So I get a little wind. Windscreen is first on my list. Looking forward to your givi report beemerphile.

Loomis screwed with this post 08-09-2012 at 10:20 PM
Loomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #2783
Loomis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Ps.. Beemer' that HID conversion on your Alaska bike is pretty sweet! Anyone have any thoughts on the typical HID bulb/ballast kits that are out now? I have them in my Tundra (11.8mpg avg. lol) and love the light output. Would really like to have some of that light on my bike.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #2784
rockydrxrvr
Multi Meter Meathead

Oddometer: 143
First bike since the Vstrom has me on the hook

So.....will I be disappointed with lack-o-snap?....My Weestrom has been with me almost 5 years. I have a feeling the power output of this NC700X will remind me of the Mellow Years of owning a CX500 of the 70's and 80's----A somewhat relaxing drum roll of exhaust and just enjoy the cruise type bike.
rockydrxrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:17 AM   #2785
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockydrxrvr View Post
So.....will I be disappointed with lack-o-snap?....My Weestrom has been with me almost 5 years. I have a feeling the power output of this NC700X will remind me of the Mellow Years of owning a CX500 of the 70's and 80's----A somewhat relaxing drum roll of exhaust and just enjoy the cruise type bike.
What's wrong with the Wee? Sounds like you're replacing it with something very similar.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:31 AM   #2786
rockydrxrvr
Multi Meter Meathead

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
What's wrong with the Wee? Sounds like you're replacing it with something very similar.
My senior years of riding,-------- something new,with a lower center of gravity and better handling perhaps?

The Wee-strom is appreciated, but has become only used on twice a year adventure rides, My DR650 gets almost daily use as a commuter and explorer on rough fire road outings.
Used to buy a new/used machine every two years to keep the two wheel sparkle alive. We only go round once my friend so grab as many two wheeled brass rings as you can.
rockydrxrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:33 AM   #2787
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loomis View Post
Ps.. Beemer' that HID conversion on your Alaska bike is pretty sweet! Anyone have any thoughts on the typical HID bulb/ballast kits that are out now? I have them in my Tundra (11.8mpg avg. lol) and love the light output. Would really like to have some of that light on my bike.
I put a bi-xenon kit from these guys on my Yamaha TMax...

http://xenonrider.com

Ought to work here. It was a great improvement over stock, however, a projector style like I have on the BMW is the best of the best. I haven't used thse guys, but they list a projector type for this bike...

http://eshop.ktautopart.com/motorcyc...da-nc700x.html

beemerphile screwed with this post 08-10-2012 at 04:03 AM
Old 08-10-2012, 03:41 AM   #2788
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockydrxrvr View Post
My DR650 gets almost daily use as a commuter and explorer on rough fire road outings.
The NC700x may disappoint on rough fire roads without suspension upgrade. The stock suspension is harsh in that environment. It has enough travel but the damping and springing are inadequate. As far as the power, once you are free of break-in and can run it wide open thorottle, you will find that running it through the gears with 6,000 rpm shifts gets you to illegal speeds in a hurry. It is very different from anything out there but quite satisfying. Shifting at 4,000 rpm with half-throttle is my new "normal". You can shift it at 3,000 and you will think you are in a small car. The engine is happy pulling from 2,000 but it's uber-happy range is 3-4,000 rpm. In top gear this relates to 58 - 75 mph.

It is a "happy" bike but not a wus.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:22 AM   #2789
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
As far as the power, once you are free of break-in and can run it wide open thorottle, you will find that running it through the gears with 6,000 rpm shifts gets you to illegal speeds in a hurry. It is very different from anything out there but quite satisfying. Shifting at 4,000 rpm with half-throttle is my new "normal". You can shift it at 3,000 and you will think you are in a small car. The engine is happy pulling from 2,000 but it's uber-happy range is 3-4,000 rpm. In top gear this relates to 58 - 75 mph.

It is a "happy" bike but not a wus.
This sounds like the way I ride my RT. I try to keep it between 2500-4000rpm. At around 4000 I'm running around 75mph. At this point in my life I'm not doing the touring I used to. I'll be lucky if I put 10K miles on all my bikes total this year. This bike W/DCT could replace my RT and Burgman. I will keep my DRZ though.
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:36 AM   #2790
Kart22
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Wink

Hey guys!

Lovin the thread here, read every post. I'm excited about trying out this bike. I have an 07 XMoto that is absolutely flawless and has 18,000 miles on it but looking for something that it more comfortable for my 4 hr savannah-Atlanta trips. How comfy is the back seat? My little lady needs a little butt cushion.
Kart22 is offline   Reply With Quote