Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #3016
Towjam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by montana.matt View Post
Not 100% sure how the linked brakes work on the NC700X, but on my CBR1000F, when you use the hand brake 70% is applied to the front brake and 30% to the rear. When you use the foot brake, 70% goes to the rear and 30% to the front.
I tried calling my friend that has a NC700X, but he didn't answer (must be out riding lol)
On the NC, operating the front brake only activates the front brake. On the other hand, when you use the rear brake, it activates one of the 3 pistons of the front brake (in addition to the rear brake).

"I had to lay her down." - from the Latin phrase meaning "I fell over."
Towjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #3017
Towjam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I'm hoping they bring back the 1.9% 36 month deal when it starts to rain, that's like free money.
Dreams do come true. 1.99% APR for the NC up to 36 months starting yesterday (9/1).

"I had to lay her down." - from the Latin phrase meaning "I fell over."
Towjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #3018
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 15,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towjam View Post
Dreams do come true. 1.99% APR for the NC up to 36 months starting yesterday (9/1).

Cool, thanks for thinking of me!!

Old 09-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #3019
Avocet
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 533
So it sounds as if the NC700 has three pistons on the front brake and one of them is activated by the right foot along with the rear brake. That would seem to imply that if one were to only use the right foot and no right hand for braking, only half as much front brake action can be applied using your right foot as would be possible if you use only your right hand, and only a third as much front brake as you could apply if you use both hand and foot controls.

It seems clear that the linked brakes on the NC aren't designed to totally eliminate the need for using the right hand to control the brakes, although it does sound as if the foot brake can supplement front wheel braking for someone like my wife with a weak right hand. I guess the question is, if one were to tromp on the rear brake without touching the hand brake, is enough braking force applied to the front wheel to activate, or nearly activate, the ABS? If so, there is little additional need for using the right hand when a quick stop is desired. It may be that the only way to know for certain is to try stopping fast on an NC while using just the front brake control, just the back brake control, and both together, to see if how much difference there is.
Avocet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #3020
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,345
Have not been to the dealer to sit on one, yet

Been lurking in this thread, seems like a neat bike. Saw/heard my first one on the road today, like what i saw, and heard!

I was out on my bicycle, he was doing the same loop I was, the he did it again, so I got to see it a few times. Nice!

Plus, i just got my daughter a 2012 Honda Fit Sport. I popped the hood the other day, i looked at the motor. Nice, it was so small for what it is! And to think, the NC motor is half of one of these.

I won't go to the dealer, i won't go to the dealer

"The Howtostretch Handbook", a guide to stretching, free download
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #3021
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I saw the bike for the first time today in person and I liked it a great deal, but it does look to be built to an aggressive price point - it just looks really cheap when you examine the details.

- Mark
Details? Elaborate if you will.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #3022
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
Details? Elaborate if you will.
I thought everything you see from the cockpit looked Chinese scooter cheap - levers, handlebar, mirrors, instrument panel, etc.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #3023
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
They are all Honda parts bin items.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #3024
Mike Cash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Honda should be ashamed for not building a BMW!
Mike Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #3025
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
They are all Honda parts bin items.
Maybe that's the problem. Don't get me wrong, I like the bike, and if you're going to cut corners to hit a price point, I understand that compromises have to be made.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:27 AM   #3026
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 7,134
It looked cheap to me too (cheaper then my 650R), but nothing FELT cheap
riding it, even the suspension was a surprise to me, even if I can see that a
lot of people would not be happy with it, it was fine to me.

I'd love to see a "normal" dash with analogue instruments, but that's me..

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:10 AM   #3027
he go
Joie de vivre

Oddometer: 3
$.02

It's been sixteen days since I picked up a NC700X and I have just north of a thousand miles on it now. For what it is, it is a remarkable machine that addresses a wide range of needs. I can ride it up a steep sandy trail littered with poplar sticks and pine cones and it plows up the grade confidently, even with those street tires. When I did the oil change I bought a five+ quart container of oil and filter and couldn't help but grin when I tossed them in the whatever-in-the-hell that glove-box thing is called and sped away; no bungy tying time expended. The riding position is comfortable and commanding; I was having so much fun on the sport bike I didn't realize how uncomfortable it was- I'm not going back. 67MPG on a tank that included a few trips to triple digit speeds speaks for itself. Handling is unbelievable; it feels like a 300 pounder and I'm now convinced that the gas tank had been misplaced since the beginning of time. There is plenty of power. I never want for another gear and my hands don't get numb like back in the FJR days. It won't jump and trash like a KTM but compared to the heavy-equipment Goldwing days this thing is nimble freedom. To those who say it looks cheap, I felt the same way the first time I saw it; I like the looks of the Tiger 800 better. I do, however, enjoy the weight of that extra $5000 still in my back pocket.
Here is a bike I would ride anywhere...no, not the stuff once you leave the road in Crown King, nor the single track in Evart, but from MI to-and-over the Top Of The World road into Alaska....no problem. This bike isn't everything, it's never going to be a Bad-Ass but, I'm certain it will deliver lots of utility and, dare I say, "adventure" at an affordable price.
he go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:58 AM   #3028
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by he go View Post
whatever-in-the-hell that glove-box thing is called
"not-a-tank"

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:21 AM   #3029
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
So it sounds as if the NC700 has three pistons on the front brake and one of them is activated by the right foot along with the rear brake. That would seem to imply that if one were to only use the right foot and no right hand for braking, only half as much front brake action can be applied using your right foot as would be possible if you use only your right hand, and only a third as much front brake as you could apply if you use both hand and foot controls.
it is worse than that. The piston that is connected to the rear pedal is a 20mm piston operating through a delay valve. The two pistons operated by the front brake are immediately active and are 27mm each. Also, the rear brake is fairly weak and on the ABS model operates through a proportioning valve. You MUST use the front brake for adequate emergency braking.

ETA: your wife would have an unemployed left foot with the DCT bike. It would not be too over-the-top to design a system to apply the front brake with the left foot. You might use the foot shifter and linkage from the manual trans model to operate a master cylinder piped to the front brake input of the ABS controller. It would take some imagineering to determine which brake cylinder to use and some design and fabrication on the linkage and master cylinder / reservoir mount. Both current master cylinder pistons are 14mm..

This would only change the method of application and would not alter the logic and timing of the ABS controller. Any alterations to the system will result in flared nostrils and red eyes from a sub-set of the members who subscribe to the Perfect Wisdom (tm) of Honda's engineers.

beemerphile screwed with this post 09-03-2012 at 05:54 AM
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:25 AM   #3030
wuichet
super geek

Oddometer: 44
Thumb My opinion of the NC700x

I haven't taken pictures of my NC yet, but since taking ownership last week I have a few observations:

I love my VFR, but I do not want to bring it to Seoul, as (in my opinion) not an optimal city bike. It's characteristic hot running engine, low RPM stumbling at slow speeds, and relatively heavy weight - which are enduring characterics to me - would not suit it well on the streets of Seoul.

So the search began for a second, more urban friendly scoot that would be better suited for my new home...

Looking at it in the showroom I was impressed with the fit and finish - especially for the price point which this bike starts. After owning a 2006 Ninja 650 (which was a great bike, but the frame had horrible looking welds and some cheaper plastics), I paid special attention to the smaller bits and details of the bike, such as the frame welds, metal finish, paint, fit of parts, etc. I have to give credit to Honda for managing to create a bike with a level of quality at this price.

Some might question Honda's pricing of the DCT, and possibly the placement of the DCT in this specific model, say, instead of the CBR. Some even question if it is a motorcycle without a clutch lever. Well, with the stop and go of urban traffic (and the curiosity of new technologies in bikes), I decided that the DCT model was the one to get. Of course buying a motorcycle based on reviews/articles/videos is always a risky proposition, but I decided it was worth the roll of the dice.

I have not been disappointed in my decision.

As soon as I mounted the NC it was immediately apparent the COG was low - much lower than my VFR (subsequently, the NC is so much easier to move around in the garage than the VFR, too). The seat was a concern since all the reviews seem to universally say this was a weak point, but I can gladly say that it seems to fit me quite well. After numerous 3 hour rides in the saddle, it only then becomes a little bothersome, but at that point one needs to stop and stretch the legs anyway. The handlebars are well within a comfortable reach. The peg placement seems *just* a little too high, as my knees are really the only part of my body that start to bother me after 3 hours (to be fair, the VFR has lowered pegs as well as HeliBars).

On the road, it has plenty of torque from the stoplights and in 'S' mode, the DCT shifts at a slightly higher RPM than the 'D' mode. The 'D' mode seems to be specifically geared for 'eco mode' in my opinion. I have found that the 'S' mode suits me about 99% of the time. The shifts from 1st to 2nd are noticeable only in the 'click' noise made, but all shifts are seamless and very quick. The downshifts are smooth and right where I would downshift - it's almost telepathic in that regard. The only issue I have with the 'S' mode is after passing or accelerating quickly and then leveling off, the DCT will hold that gear for a couple of seconds before shifting up to a higher gear - quickly remedied by either hitting the (+)Manual Trigger underneath your left index finger, or keeping it in 'D' mode or 'manual' mode to begin with. Otherwise, this DCT is amazing. I cannot wait until Honda puts one in the CBR - I will put my money down on one no questions asked. I cannot imagine what these DCTs could do on the track!

Although the bike is great in the city, riding on the interstate was less thrilling. Don't get me wrong - the NC700 will run on the interstate with no issues - but overtaking big rigs or other vehicles is a calculated/timed move. There is not much grunt at higher speeds, but I knew this up front. Just a characteristic of this bike. No problems from me.

The suspension is a surprise, too, as I imagined a relatively bad setup in need of immediate or near immediate addressing. Not so. It handles low speed bumps well (below 20mph) as well as higher speed bumps. The only noticeable issue I could find was on high speed corners, bumps or ripples seem to upset the suspension and makes the bike a little unsettled. It's not bad for unadjustable suspension though. The tires are great for this bike. I had Metzler's on the VFR which I did not like and switched them out for the Pilot Road 3's. So I had reservations at first based on my experience, but I am surprised at the dry grip both in straight line and curves. It's pretty good. The wet grip is yet to be tested, so the jury is out on that one. I'll let you know.

Overall, this NC700 with the DCT/ABS is a great city bike - and I imagine with the right tires/engine protection/etc, this bike would be good on light trail use.

I have no reservations recommending this bike to anyone looking for a cheap, reliable everyday bike - whether it's your only bike, or just a secondary bike in which you want to keep the miles off your current ride.

Ask any questions, and I'll answer them as well as I can.

-Thomas Jefferson
wuichet is offline   Reply With Quote