User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #3016
Avocet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Question About Linked Brakes

My wife is interested in the NC700X. She has been suffering with arthritis in her hands, and to the point that she has had to sell her F800ST because she couldn't operate the clutch anymore. The DCT on the NC800 should fix that problem, but she also has some trouble with her right hand, although not as bad as the left hand. My question therefore is, do the linked brakes on the NC700 allow the rider to substitute more pressure on the foot brake for pressure on the hand brake? In other words, can a rider on an NC700 stop quickly by just using the foot brake with only minor assistance from the hand brake? Thanks.
Avocet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #3017
montana.matt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
My wife is interested in the NC700X. She has been suffering with arthritis in her hands, and to the point that she has had to sell her F800ST because she couldn't operate the clutch anymore. The DCT on the NC800 should fix that problem, but she also has some trouble with her right hand, although not as bad as the left hand. My question therefore is, do the linked brakes on the NC700 allow the rider to substitute more pressure on the foot brake for pressure on the hand brake? In other words, can a rider on an NC700 stop quickly by just using the foot brake with only minor assistance from the hand brake? Thanks.
Not 100% sure how the linked brakes work on the NC700X, but on my CBR1000F, when you use the hand brake 70% is applied to the front brake and 30% to the rear. When you use the foot brake, 70% goes to the rear and 30% to the front.
I tried calling my friend that has a NC700X, but he didn't answer (must be out riding lol)
Old 09-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #3018
Towjam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by montana.matt View Post
Not 100% sure how the linked brakes work on the NC700X, but on my CBR1000F, when you use the hand brake 70% is applied to the front brake and 30% to the rear. When you use the foot brake, 70% goes to the rear and 30% to the front.
I tried calling my friend that has a NC700X, but he didn't answer (must be out riding lol)
On the NC, operating the front brake only activates the front brake. On the other hand, when you use the rear brake, it activates one of the 3 pistons of the front brake (in addition to the rear brake).

"I had to lay her down." - from the Latin phrase meaning "I fell over."
Towjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #3019
Towjam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I'm hoping they bring back the 1.9% 36 month deal when it starts to rain, that's like free money.
Dreams do come true. 1.99% APR for the NC up to 36 months starting yesterday (9/1).

"I had to lay her down." - from the Latin phrase meaning "I fell over."
Towjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #3020
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towjam View Post
Dreams do come true. 1.99% APR for the NC up to 36 months starting yesterday (9/1).

Cool, thanks for thinking of me!!

Old 09-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #3021
Avocet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
So it sounds as if the NC700 has three pistons on the front brake and one of them is activated by the right foot along with the rear brake. That would seem to imply that if one were to only use the right foot and no right hand for braking, only half as much front brake action can be applied using your right foot as would be possible if you use only your right hand, and only a third as much front brake as you could apply if you use both hand and foot controls.

It seems clear that the linked brakes on the NC aren't designed to totally eliminate the need for using the right hand to control the brakes, although it does sound as if the foot brake can supplement front wheel braking for someone like my wife with a weak right hand. I guess the question is, if one were to tromp on the rear brake without touching the hand brake, is enough braking force applied to the front wheel to activate, or nearly activate, the ABS? If so, there is little additional need for using the right hand when a quick stop is desired. It may be that the only way to know for certain is to try stopping fast on an NC while using just the front brake control, just the back brake control, and both together, to see if how much difference there is.
Avocet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #3022
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,723
Have not been to the dealer to sit on one, yet

Been lurking in this thread, seems like a neat bike. Saw/heard my first one on the road today, like what i saw, and heard!

I was out on my bicycle, he was doing the same loop I was, the he did it again, so I got to see it a few times. Nice!

Plus, i just got my daughter a 2012 Honda Fit Sport. I popped the hood the other day, i looked at the motor. Nice, it was so small for what it is! And to think, the NC motor is half of one of these.

I won't go to the dealer, i won't go to the dealer

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #3023
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I saw the bike for the first time today in person and I liked it a great deal, but it does look to be built to an aggressive price point - it just looks really cheap when you examine the details.

- Mark
Details? Elaborate if you will.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #3024
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
Details? Elaborate if you will.
I thought everything you see from the cockpit looked Chinese scooter cheap - levers, handlebar, mirrors, instrument panel, etc.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #3025
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
They are all Honda parts bin items.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #3026
Mike Cash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Honda should be ashamed for not building a BMW!
Mike Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #3027
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
They are all Honda parts bin items.
Maybe that's the problem. Don't get me wrong, I like the bike, and if you're going to cut corners to hit a price point, I understand that compromises have to be made.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:27 AM   #3028
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,758
It looked cheap to me too (cheaper then my 650R), but nothing FELT cheap
riding it, even the suspension was a surprise to me, even if I can see that a
lot of people would not be happy with it, it was fine to me.

I'd love to see a "normal" dash with analogue instruments, but that's me..

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:10 AM   #3029
he go
Joie de vivre

Oddometer: 3
$.02

It's been sixteen days since I picked up a NC700X and I have just north of a thousand miles on it now. For what it is, it is a remarkable machine that addresses a wide range of needs. I can ride it up a steep sandy trail littered with poplar sticks and pine cones and it plows up the grade confidently, even with those street tires. When I did the oil change I bought a five+ quart container of oil and filter and couldn't help but grin when I tossed them in the whatever-in-the-hell that glove-box thing is called and sped away; no bungy tying time expended. The riding position is comfortable and commanding; I was having so much fun on the sport bike I didn't realize how uncomfortable it was- I'm not going back. 67MPG on a tank that included a few trips to triple digit speeds speaks for itself. Handling is unbelievable; it feels like a 300 pounder and I'm now convinced that the gas tank had been misplaced since the beginning of time. There is plenty of power. I never want for another gear and my hands don't get numb like back in the FJR days. It won't jump and trash like a KTM but compared to the heavy-equipment Goldwing days this thing is nimble freedom. To those who say it looks cheap, I felt the same way the first time I saw it; I like the looks of the Tiger 800 better. I do, however, enjoy the weight of that extra $5000 still in my back pocket.
Here is a bike I would ride anywhere...no, not the stuff once you leave the road in Crown King, nor the single track in Evart, but from MI to-and-over the Top Of The World road into Alaska....no problem. This bike isn't everything, it's never going to be a Bad-Ass but, I'm certain it will deliver lots of utility and, dare I say, "adventure" at an affordable price.
he go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:58 AM   #3030
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by he go View Post
whatever-in-the-hell that glove-box thing is called
"not-a-tank"

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote